Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

when i first met this perfume i hated it.it was too much .But later...İ don't know why but this perfume is very masculine. very sexy .powerfull and strong.

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Soapy citruses and stone cold patchouili. Smells like a young hippie holding an energy drink can.

Michael Stipe and Alanis Morissette wear this? Maybe that's why I never liked either...

Nice smell but it totally fails to coalesce into a body fragrance.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

it is like lots of flower surrounds you. clean and young.

Stella by Stella McCartney

it is deep floral and powdery. i can't say it is fresh bu it is clean. The smell does't chance in hours. it is straigt and very confident. this smell should have been more long lasting.

silvarga's avatar
    silvarga

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I'm testing Prada APH today, and I'm just not quite sure about it.

It's not a masculine smell, but also really not feminine either. Others have mentioned that it smells rather soapy, and I think I can somewhat agree with that. To me, it smells a bit old-time-y and not even unisex so much as well... Asexual.

During the first hour of wearing it, it conjured up a feeling of being very well dressed and sitting in a private dining cart on a vintage train. The air of the train slowly filling with the scent of a little box of individually wrapped victorian powdered lavender candies gifted to me by my septuagenarian companion for being such a smartly-dressed and well-mannered grandson.

This brought on something else that I have to say I've never had that happen before:
    When I first sprayed it on this morning, I was planning to wear something casual and sporty in either yellow or blue, but after about 15 minutes of wearing Prada APH, I felt like I absolutely *HAD* to change into something befitting the scent, and thus left the house in a more formal gray and lavender.

Ingenieur's avatar
    Ingenieur

Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Bought because it was deemed similar to Terre D'Hermes by many reviewers, which itself is favourably reviewed on this site and others.

However, on spraying Yardley Citrus and Wood for the first time, I thought that perhaps the nozzle was blocked, for no scent was detectable. A further four sprays, and I had a scent that projects about six inches.

A bit of soft and powdery orange and a trace of cedar.

Whilst not unpleasant it is nothing more than a weak potpourri fragrance.

Too soft and powdery to be masculine. Unisex.

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

gigantic masterpiece!

03 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2012)

J'Adore by Christian Dior

it is for young women i think. it is really innocent and lovely .it is clean and sweet and shy.i really rocemmend this perfume .but i can't say it is for me now.i am seeking something that is more ambitious and brave. i used to have this but i don't want to have this any more.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

I don't know why everyone says this is discontinued. Like Halston 1-12, you can't walk into a Marshalls or TJ's anywhere in this country without finding a bottle of Claiborne For Men on the shelf.

Having said that, I'm giving my full endorsement of this scent. I don't find it cheap or synthetic smelling at all. Rather, this is an excellent strong citrus fragrance that has amazing longevity. It is excellent value and smells great. I could wear this every day.

Claiborne For Men smells like an dry, green citrus chypre, but it also smells like an 80's scent as well. That's because there's leather and oakmoss in this, and they give the scent some richness and weight, Eighties style, though I wouldn't call this a heavy fragrance or a "power fragrance". It strikes a nice balance between dry, transparent citrus and rich leathery chypre. What more can you ask for in a fragrance?

MY RATING: 8/10

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

I just got this today -blind purchase- and I have say I had never been so pleasantly surprised before. I have always stayed away from Avon fragrances (sorry, I find them "cheap"), but this is SO not Avon!! It is a fantastic syrupy frag, in the line of Blue Sugar by Aquolina, Rochas Man and Legend by Michael Jordan (not that they smell alike, but it's the same style). Sweet as it is, I can smell the amber and the coconut. It does not smell cheap, AT ALL. I wore it today to go to work and my secretary went crazy over it. If you're a fan of sweet perfumes, this is a purchase you will definitely not regret (especially considering what a BARGAIN it is!!). Highly recommendable.

Custo Man by Custo Barcelona

I agree with those who find this similar to JPG, but, c'mon people, this is a fantastic fragrance. It is citrusy/sweet, it has very good sillage (average longevity), and the best part is that is not expensive. I think this is a great alternative for those of us who love sweet fragrances. It opens quite citrusy, but quickly turns into an amazing sweet syrup. Tonka and musk are easily detectable. I think it is a great choice for sweet-lovers.

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

I'm a bit confused about this fragrance profile. I own this perfume, and the bottle shown here is not Zanzibar, or at least not the one I have. According to the profile, it is still in production, when it really is discontinued. Someone posted that it was sweet, and it is not, and someone else says it's unisex, and it is clearly a masculine fragrance. It's a spicy frag, with a citrusy/peppery opening that soon becomes a quiet woody/spicy-close-to-the-skin perfume. It's quite a good scent, actually. Sadly, it is very short-lived.

Theorema Uomo by Fendi

Theorema Uomo opens with a crisp herbaceous green note paired with bitter bergamot.The base is well rounded with cedar and vetiver, keeping the scent sharp. It has good sillage, but -at least on my skin- it doesn't last very long. All in all, I think it's a really good fragrance. Too bad it's been discontinued.

MysteryBuff40's avatar
    MysteryBuff40

L'Eau Chic by Parfums de Nicolaï

This smells like a feminine version of Fendi Theorema Uomo. Lots of clean, tangy geranium softened by iris and chamomile. I don't detect any cloves, spices or sandalwood. There's something of a washed sheets, fresh off the line quality about it.

Not a buy for me, but this would smell lovely on the right woman in spring and summer. L'eau Chic is quietly attractive and plays nicely with others in office, school or health care environments.

Pink Lotus by Aftelier

Another original but odd art piece from Aftelier. While the notes and the name imply a floral perfume, it's much more of a natural smell - it smells like a place out in nature more than a perfume.

UC Berkeley has a fantastic botanical garden and, buried deep in it, there's a pond filled with lotuses and lily pads, teeming with fish and salamanders and curiously friendly hummingbirds. It's beautiful, but very boggy. I imagine that if you pulled up one of logs long submerged in that pond, they'd smell like this: woody, vegetal, lightly rotted, mossy, and soaked with the smell of fish and pond animals and green bog water. Sprinkle some peppery orange topnotes on that and add some round, resinous florals for sweetness and you'll have what Pink Lotus smells like on me. It doesn't smell bad, but it certainly doesn't smell pretty, either. Like I said before, it doesn't smell like a perfume - it smells like I'm wearing the concentrated scents of a natural place on my arm. As such, I find Pink Lotus more artful and clever than actually wearable, but for artful weirdness, I prefer the over-the-top strangeness and clever coffee and seashell notes of Aftelier's Tango over this.

Jasmin by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Ah, MPG. They have some really great scents, but after feverishly collecting samples for years now, it's become clear that an awful lot of their line is bloated with unremarkable fruity florals. In their defense, they invented the genre back in the 80's (but never really got or took credit for it) so these pre-date the time now when these types of scents are synonymous with cheap perfume. I think most of us niche snobs tend to give MPG some sort of a free pass for perfumes like Jasmin, but I find that I'm growing quite sick of them.

Basically, Jasmin is a mix of green apple candy, unrealistic jasmine and perfumey faux flowers, somehow made tart and juicy. There's no base to speak of - the perfume just starts getting vaguely milky with time before fading. Sure, this is a niche perfume from 1988, but if I picked up one of those phat booty perfumes they sell at the checkout counter of the discount grocery store, it would be a strikingly similar mix of candy and unrealistic florals over a non-existant base. That comparison may be a little cruel, but I think it's time that has been cruel to MPG's fruity florals, not me.

I'd love to see MPG make a resurgence to prominence in the luxury niche market, but the only way that could happen is if they do some tight editing of their collection, weeding out the scents that smell cheap now and repackaging their remaining selection of truly excellent scents in better bottles with the nice metal and crystal caps that their cheap plastic ones pretend to be. I wish all the best for the ever-struggling MPG, but it's perfumes like this one that make me worry...

DutchSniffer's avatar
    DutchSniffer

Lotus Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

A delightful lotus fragrance with a woodsy sweet base. It's hard to find the rose, may smell the other flowers though. In any case.. loving it!

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

A basic masculine woody chypre in the 70's/80's style. It's vaguely modernized with the addition of tangy orange to the topnotes (to cut down on that dated bergamot smell), but it's basically a blast from the past - That classic interplay of bergamot with a base of moss, vetiver, and patchouli with woods in the middle. I personally think it's unnecessary to try to compare Great Jones to any particular classic, because just about every men's scent released between the late 60's and the mid 80's had all these same notes doing the same thing.

My only issue with Great Jones is a bit esoteric. There's no tension. Imagine a great classic woody chypre like Yatagan. It has the same basic structure as Great Jones, but it's the weird sweaty pine that makes Yatagan great, that tension between good and gross taking place on top of the complex woody chypre structure. Great Jones gets the complex structure perfectly but lacks the interesting stuff on it. It's technically perfect, but in being so polished, it lacks the roughness that makes great woody chypres interesting. It's up to you if you think this is a problem. For those who dislike many classics because of the ugly oily or dank herbal undertones, Great Jones may be a godsend. But for those who enjoy the excitement of a classic with the funk intact, Great Jones may be a little too comfortable.

All in all, I think it's well done and I wouldn't turn down a free bottle, but for the price, you could get Derby or BDP, the two absolute best examples of this genre, and I'd go with either of them before Great Jones. But I still think Great Jones deserves a thumbs up for a job well done, if not TOO well...

Marais's avatar
    Marais

Balafre by Lancôme

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    Understated, formal, elegant and masculine. A bitter citric opening prefaces a dark green heart of pine and herbs and a mildly-musky, mossy leather base. The whole is so seamlessly integrated it is a challenge picking out individual notes; leather is perhaps first among equals, but fans of popular loud leather scents will be disappointed by Balafre's restrained voice. Despite its 1967 origin it doesn't seem dated but rather has a classic, timeless quality and conveys an aura of seriousness that marks it for men of substance rather than boys. Longevity and sillage are average. {review of reissue}

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Rosissimo by Les Parfums de Rosine

Someone in the trade told me that this House has a reputation for being a bit dated/old fashioned and I must admit the few I have tested were a touch staid albeit perfectly pleasant.Rosissimo certainly bucks the trend, being a sparkling fresh and vibrant citric rose which lasts for ages. Perfect for both sexes imo and would especially suit the summer months (if we ever get summer here).

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Poison by Christian Dior

Top: Coriander, plum, wild berries, anise, Brazilian rosewood
    Heart: Carnation, jasmine, African orange flower, tuberose, opoponax, cinnamon, rose, incense, honey
    Base: Vetiver, musk, sandalwood, Virginia cedar, amber, vanilla, heliotrope

Back in the mid-80's, weeks before Poison was introduced in my country, this daring and intriguing new fragrance was the main topic of conversation amongst perfume aficionados. We could not wait to experience it. A few friends who had just come back from Europe and had the opportunity to try it unequivocally voiced out their utter disappointment. When Poison finally arrived, it was very badly received by perfume amateurs and the general public as well. The same uproar had occurred four years earlier when Giorgio (Giorgio Beverly Hills) came along. In big stores, sales personnel working in the cosmetic/perfume department and even those working in neighbouring departments complained about the overwhelming vapours that flew around as customers came in droves to try on these new trendy fragrances.

When worn by someone who cannot handle it, Poison can be described in one word: Brutal. The flower notes are extremely loud, dark and heavy. Also, the many syrupy candyish notes can be disgustingly sweet (I often heard people say about Poison: This smells like grape juice!). Finally, for better or for worse, the longevity of this fragrance is almost endless.

Now, why should I give this controversial fragrance a thumbs up rating? Quite simple, in fact. Over the years, I have met a few women who smelled absolutely divine when wearing Poison. Surprisingly, this very intense and heady fragrance became delicate and fresh on these women's skin. It smelled like a delicious mix of tropical fruits and flowers with a hint of honey and cinnamon.

My conclusion: Poison was meant to be intoxicating but on the wrong person, it can be lethal. Maybe this fragrance should come with a warning sign!

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Something powerfully tasty, delicious  , milky-sugary, warm-cool and sensual  is expressed outside by the molecular dust bursting in your face after the first spray and the bomb is almost narcotic as a magical edible potion. The warm-cool link of pappy apricot, refreshing-lymphatic fruits and creamy vanilla is amalgamated by something secretly sensual that could be honey or animal amber may be. Some subtle flowers sparkle in the air together with something fruity (peaches, tropical fruits ?), aromatic-green, spicy (i suppose cinnamon) and tart-fresh (the note of papaya is a key element to me) but  the gourmand captivating vibe overwhelms the strict regulations of the balance in my opinion. This juice can be succulent, smart and commercial but lacks to me about a real distinction, class and refinement to match which the parfumer must sometimes be able to renounce to some gainful goals. Vanille Abricot is a good kind of smell anyway, better conceived for teenagers and sporty-sensual kind of young carefree women. A cult for many.

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Light Blue Pour Homme Living Stromboli by Dolce & Gabbana

So far it's just 'meh'.....yawn although it is an improvement on the horrifically sharp synthetic original!

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

*Note: This is a review of the current version of Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Chanel Pour Monsieur goes on with a gorgeous blast of natural lemon and an herbal lime-like lemon verbena. The lemon-lime herbal citrus accord hangs around well into the heart notes, where the scent turns very powdery while also adding basil and ginger root. Also present is some of the oakmoss from the base peeping through into the heart. During the dry-down the powder dissipates and a nice rooty vetiver takes over, joining a still ever-present oakmoss. Projection and longevity are both well-below average.

As soon as I sprayed on Pour Monsieur, I was captivated by the herbal lemon-lime accord that immediately makes itself known. Unfortunately, the powdery heart is a bit more powdery than I like to see, and certainly I wish it could have been toned down. That said, it still smells pleasant throughout, and when the vetiver and oakmoss from the base notes appear, the scent gets better still. I kind of liken the overall smell as a cross between vintage Monsieur de Givenchy's subtle controlled and pleasant nature and the powdery aspects of New York by Parfums de Nicolai. While I like and own all three of these great scents, I prefer vintage Monsieur de Givenchy's non-powdery nature instead focusing more on the citrus and oakmoss, and New York's greater projection and longevity. Still, Chanel Pour Monsieur was released first, and the two other greats just mentioned owe a lot to the groundwork laid down by Henri Robert and Chanel in 1955. This must have been quite the landmark release back then and Pour Monsieur is certainly worthy of its classic chypre status. While I may prefer a handful of other chypres over it, I still give Chanel Pour Monsieur a very strong 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. Maybe the vintage version of this would have been even better before the relatively recent oakmoss restrictions?

PureBoy's avatar
    PureBoy
    Brazil Brazil

Roadster by Cartier

Mint base + nothing interesting = Roadster = Such a waste of money...

Kal-El's avatar
    Kal-El

Black Suede Leather by Avon

It's a nice scent, and also cheap.
    The only thing that i hate is that i got the "non-spraying" version of it, probably because it was at a clearance sell.
    I use it mostly as an after shav. I don't like to get some on my palm and rub it on my clothes.. so...

I recommend it, powerful scent for a powerful man.

Kal-El's avatar
    Kal-El

Full Speed by Avon

Very aromatic, i admit, the bottle is pretty huge, but it's not a big problem.
    The scent lasts for some good couple of hours, but it's not like "ice breaker".
    For the price paid, i can say that it's very nice.
    If you just wanna go outside with some friends, it's perfect.

Smelly Beast's avatar
    Smelly Beast
    Brazil Brazil

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Sycomore is definetely the best vetiver out there IMHO. The vetiver is very proiminent giving a dark, dry, rooty woodines to the composition and Its very smoky and pepery too, almost incensy, I guess its because of the tabaco and the pink pepper. It´s not as angular or out there as it may seem though. The sandalwood and the aldehydes cut all the pointy corners making it very confortable an cousy to wear. Often people compare it to Encre Noir, they are indeed similar but Sycomore is much more polite and elegant.
    A must in every vetiver lover collection.

Smellitivity's avatar
    Smellitivity

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Leather and florals produce a great smell close to gasoline. A dealbreaker for many, a maker for me. It's warm and slightly distant, adult and seducing, still after all these years. I love it.