Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

shamu1's avatar

Jaguar Vision by Jaguar

Vision is a light gourmand that smells like something else I've smelled before but can't identify. Starts off smelling like sweet apples, then dries down to a woody caramel smell. The woods and patchouli in the base provide a little tartness, and breaks up the sweetness a little bit.

Overall, Vision is a good fragrance, but it's a little too simplistic for my tastes, and it's too sweet for me to want to wear very often. Luckily it is not heavy. This would be a really good scent for a younger guy, in his late teens to twenties. I'd think this would be appropriate as a nighttime scent to wear at a nightclub or a party. It's a bit to cool for a guy my age to pull off well.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

04 July, 2012

MonkeyBars's avatar

Crown Fougère by Crown Perfumery

A pleasant, natural and balanced composition. Geranium and tonka are the stars of the show, but the herbs, lavender, and woods provide good support. Those two stars are not my favorite ingredients but here their rosy and powdery facets are effectively mitigated by green accords so that I do find it wearable.

Smelly Beast's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Knize Ten by Knize

The first time I wore Knize Ten I understood why it is still in production after almost ninety year of its launch. Its because it's the best masculine scent out there, a very rich and opulent leather based composition.
    The opening is a blast of leather and tobacco. Then the tobacco softens leaving a classic ambery leather accord, you can still smell the tobacco, but it stays more on the back ground giving a smoky ambiance. In the next fase I get Cuir Mauresque, an oily, animalc, almody leather but instead of the dried orange you have spices (clove?) rose and jasmine. It has also a powdery quality that is lovely. As it dries down it gets softer, and amber starts to dominate the fragrance along with the leather. Just perfect. Longevity and projection is excellent, price tag is incredible and its easy to find. So what are you waiting for to get your bottle?
    This is a must have in any leather lover.

automorphism's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

This is definitely a scent that you should try before you buy. I tried it at the mall recently and while the drydown is pleasant, it didn't last too long. The worst part is that for the first 2 hours or so, there was something in the frangrance (which unfortunately I can't identify) that made me slightly gag. It was actually difficult to smell it because it was so unpleasant. Perhaps this is the sharpness that others describe?

automorphism's avatar

White Linen by Estée Lauder

Be prepared for a man's review of this fragrance! I bought this one for a girl but I tried it first. Out of the Lauder fragrances for women I've smelled, this one is probably the easiest to pull off for a man. Anyways, the initial opening is a burst of aldehydes, which smells pretty powdery and really brings the image of a spotless white room with a square crosshatch window to my mind. I honestly cannot say that the opening has much citrus in it.

The middle notes and base notes definitely remind me of linen, which seems to be a common association people make.

This perfume really gives me the impression of a woman who is already taken and perhaps married. When I think of a girlfriend wearing it I imagine her in a conservative summer dress in a nice clean house in the country, with the breeze floating through the window as we caress on the couch under a ray of sunlight after a morning of passion.

This is definitely not a clubbing or going out scent, since it might get lost in such an environment I feel. I feel the serenity in this bottle would clash with the wrong personality.

smalla's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

disgusting top notes, like a baking gone wrong when you mistake by putting chemical instead of baking powder in your cake mix then burnt it.
    dry down is little better, no more wired chemical smell, but unpleasantly sweet.

smalla's avatar

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

pleasant generic Acqua di Gio style, good for summer, good for work.
    but it is sooooo light, you can hardly smell it. it does last, but close to skin. May be I'm too use to strong colognes.Summer cologne doesn't have to be light; strong fragrance like Versace Eau Fraîche turned out to be great summer fragrance.

buren's avatar

Quelques Fleurs L'Original by Houbigant

I found two excellent minis of Chantilly & Quelques Fleurs.

The Chantilly mini was a far cry from the large bottles marketed these days..but that's another story.

The Quelques Fleurs rang my chimes, particularly the slight zing of herbs & citrus in the top notes, the delicacy of the floral notes & absence of cloying sweetness in undertones. This was one that worked well with my own body chemistry..& applied discreetly, was a subtle whisper..This is very pleasant to experience in an old fashioned full range perfume.

synthetic's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Not terrible but not particularly good either.
    I can understand what YSL were attempting here but on my skin this just turns weird. The ginger note goes kind of damp and then within 4 hours its gone and replaced with a very tame citric sweetness that while nice is very dull.
    This scent isn't meant to be loud or obnoxious, but rather a something one would wear to work or something.
    Its brother La Nuit is even more controversial and in my eyes, the better purchase.

buren's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

I wish there was a rating between thumbs up & neutral for my mini of the old Chantilly....I do like it, but the heady combination of floral, ORANGE! & spice & leather make it more than I would wear in public on most occasions. I used to dress up in "Pointer Sisters" full Glam & it certainly would have been lovely for that...

The (possibly) tarragon & lemon highlights of Quelques Fleurs work better for me nowadays.

I am glad I have the pleasure of a dab from this mini occasionally.

I wouldn't wear the modern Chantilly at all (even though I once owned a giant vat of it by accident) unless I was in a mosquito infested jungle & it repelled mosquitos (like citronella). This theory has not been tested.

I'm going to cheat here & put in a major plug for BISTRO which I don't find on the list. It is an inexpensive EDT that is difficult to find & connected with "Chantilly" & "Dana" & Parfums Parquet".
    It is light years away from the offensive qualities of the mass produced modern Chantilly, however. It is uniquely fresh, herbal..with a hint of carnation...something that suggests the artemesia family of herbs or vermouth...brisker than the hint of tarragon in Quelques Fleurs, with no cloying quality at all, like a bouquet in spring rain.

All this in an inexpensive EDT in a 50's suggestive powder pink bottle with black lid....

exciter76's avatar

Live Luxe by Jennifer Lopez

Let me preface this review by mentioning the fact that there is melon in the top notes, though it's not mentioned here. Generally, I don’t take issue with fruity frags—I have some in my collection and I adore them when the mood strikes. I do get frustrated with the genre when it seems an entire industry has run out of ideas, producing scents that seem all too familiar or too sloppy. Live Luxe falls in the ‘sloppy’ category for me, which is a shame since J.Lo fragrances tend to be of a higher caliber in the celebuscents market.

I rarely wear this one and I often forget I own it. I donned it this morning and now I am realizing why it remained unnoticed in my collection. It begins with juicy summer fruits, lending hope and promise of a refreshing warm weather scent. However, minutes later an unsweetened, unripened, and still green melon takes over in a big way. As the day wears on the melon becomes sour and more pronounced, annihilating the presence of any other fruity elements and reducing any florals to near-nothingness. It has been seven hours, and, though it is still going strong, I am left waiting for some kind of a base; the scent has since morphed into the mellowed last strains of a cantaloupe rind.

I can’t help feel like I was promised a summer fruit salad just to have it swapped out from under my nose (pun intended). Fine, take my fresh-cut fruit salad away but don’t replace it with melon rinds! It almost makes for a good spa scent except it’s too bombastic and bitter to induce any kind of calm. I like melon scents but this one completely misses the mark and seems too confused. Look to Bliss or The Body Shop’s Sprit of Moonflower for a far more superior melon scent.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

classy scent got mixed up receptions..anyway powerful sillage and charmy aura!

Déclaration by Cartier

this is really intented for the ESSENCE formulation, smoky and gothic reminds me a modern age Jules by Dior

Insensé by Givenchy

for all I can remember was a nice happy scent citrusy and floral, well ade for spirntime or summer!

dollars&scents's avatar

L'Être Aimé Homme by Divine

L'Etre Aime Homme by Divine - One is initially treated to a citrusy and fresh accord. The herb-like floral of lavender imparts its freshness. Bergamot contributes its bittersweetness. Ginger sprinkles its lively and fresh aspects, while basil adds its leafy greenness with a wisp of mint. A somewhat bitter celery seed intrudes from time to time. Transitioning to the heart, cardamon, with its sweetly spicy aroma, encases the opening melange. And, immortelle imparts its fengreek-like maple and curry facets. An undercurrent of vetiver, with its earthy and green character carries the grassy and spicy middle to the rather generic base. Here, a creamy sandalwood, a woodsy patchouli, as well as a balsamic and resinous cissus, with its accessions of ambergris, leather, smoke and sweetness, all commingle and lift a more caramel-like helichrysum. A comforting drydown ensues. This well-balanced and masculine composition is basically a skin scent with average longevity. Nothing exceptional, it is ho-hum.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I can't stand it, to me it's truly revolting!

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

was nice until I decided I can't take aquatics

Brit by Burberry

nice but nothing special, fresh and subtle but nothing exciting reall!

bcnking's avatar

Spain Spain

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Right off the bat all I got was a huge explosion of cherry that really turned me off.
    Thankfully it goes away in less than half an hour and it becomes a pleasant sweet vanilla scent, with maybe a little cocoa powder at the end if you have good imagination.
    I’m disappointed because I didn’t find any tobacco notes at all.
    Overall it’s a nice scent, easier to wear than the original A*men, but with slightly less projection.
    However I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking for a tobacco fragrance, and I’m a bit mad at Mugler for making tobacco the main marketing point in a fragrance that barely has any.

Marais's avatar

Vétiver (original) by Carven

{Review of the 2009 EdP, white bottle}
    This is apparently a re-issue of the original 1957 fragrance.
    Notes include: mandarin, mint, geranium, lavender, vetiver, fern, absinthe or wormwood, juniper, nutmeg.
    This list gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. There is plenty of vetiver but the presentation is very smooth - somehow soft and rather soapy, civilised and more refined than many a vetiver. Nutmeg is quite prominent, especially at the start, but the similarities with Guerlain's masterpiece end there. Non-medicinal lavender and mint notes (subtly done) give it an almost mentholated coolness. Artemisia is artfully used to give the fragrance a pleasing depth and pungency. It does wear quite close to the skin and longevity is average.
    Very much a 'white shirt' type, cool and clean herbal vetiver.
    {The 2006 EdT formula (clear bottle) is a different beast altogether; drier, sharper, woodier, more peppery, somehow thinner and more astringent; lacking the depth of the 2009 scent; I give that a thumbs down.}

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

This is a genuine example of light, transparent, iso e super heavy Ellena fragrances. Nothing to be excited about, just an OK fragrance.

heo's avatar

Norway Norway

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

really good scent ! fresh,green. it's not heavy. unfortunately it doesn't last for long.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Dangerous Man by Bruno Banani

Cheap harsh, fully sinthetic...

drseid's avatar

Ocean Rain for Men by Mario Valentino

Ocean Rain opens with a very nice herbal green and rose tandem that combines with citrus and lavender to come off as almost banana-like of all things. This banana-like herbal rose accord hangs around through most of the scent's duration, but well into the heart notes a very nice cedar and oakmoss combo appears and takes center stage away from the herbal rose. Finally, well into the base you get a supporting leather accord that blends into the remaining woody late heart notes with the rose now all but gone. Somethings noticeably not present throughout the scent's development of note are any oceanic or watery accords (despite the scent's listed note pyramid and name). Projection and longevity are both average.

I find the name "Ocean Rain" highly unfortunate and misleading here. If there is any calone in here, it is obscured so well that I cannot detect it at all, and I wonder if it really is even there. At best, calone is certainly not the focus of the scent; instead the herbal rose, cedar and oakmoss are the real stars. Poor name choice aside, Ocean Rain really does indeed smell quite good. It uses its rose and herbal greens in a unique way to create what I can only describe as banana, and while it may sound bizarre it really does work here. I find it disappointing that Ocean Rain has long-since been discontinued, as it is quite a distinctive departure from all the "me too" designer scents released present day. If you are seeking it, there still are several 50ml bottles on eBay that can be acquired for relatively silly money as of the date of this review. I blind bought this one, and am quite happy with the purchase. Ocean Rain gets a strong 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. Just ignore the name and enjoy Roudnitska's final creation for the very good scent that it is.

iodine's avatar

Magnolia by Santa Maria Novella

What has this soapy, old lady's closet fragrance to do with the magnificent scent of true magnolias?! It could be any flower soap fragrance: jasmine, prominently The musks in the drydown, then, are truly aggressive! The general impression is that of a despairing staleness and obsolescence, sad to find in a fragrance meant to homage such a beautiful flower.

RaymondNYC's avatar

Shanti Shanti by Miller et Bertaux

I bought this for my wife but I wear it all the time! To me, it's a very dry rose and not at all a powdery old-lady perfume. Might even be nice to layer with Tauer's L'Air. Shanti Shanti -- a terrific (unisex) fragrance!

ubergeek's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

When I first sampled H.M I realized that I liked it, but for all the wrong reasons. Like it was different from almost everything else on the market but very familiar all at once. Then it occurred to me that it smelled an awful lot like Avon Black Suede.

And that's my problem with this fragrance. It's not a bad fragrance; it's just too similar to a number powdery musk fragrances from the 70's that are about one-fifth the price.

silver-shamrock's avatar

Swiss Unlimited by Victorinox

I sprayed a sample of this on my arm and sniffed it for a couple of hours, I knew i recognized the smell but couldnt for the life of me remember where from. Then all of a sudden it hit me, when I was about 10 my dad used to have one of those 'Feu Orange air fresheners', the ones that look like a little traffic light hanging in his morris minor. This is exactly what it smells of. Its a headache waiting to happen. Not for me unfortunatley, nice packaging though

russraff's avatar

England England

Encre Noire by Lalique

I got this blind, as many have, due to the reviews. I had Tom Ford's GV and thought that a bit too old man-ish. So I went for Encre Noir blind as there are no local shops that stock this scent and I wanted a smoother vetiver scent.
    To be honest I am disappointed. There is almost zero projection and the scent itself, whilst interesting, has so little presence as to be not worth while applying. I put two good sprays on the back of my hand and I almost need to touch my hand with my nose before I can smell the stuff. This is a shame as the actual scent unusual and, to my nose, most appealing.
    There is a very subdued vetiver that is nowhere near as astringent as GV or Gurlain's interpretation. Woods are in there, too as is a smokiness. Its probably like being in a wood cabin. However the vetiver does add a freshness to Noir that makes this a daytime scent for me.
    That's if anyone can smell it, of course...

UKisGR8's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

So, I finally found a bottle of New York Oud at a great price. I almost feel like I stole it.

Anyway, here are the only two gripes I have with New York Oud:
    1. The name... Where is the oud??
    2. The price... If there is any oud at all, it's a small trace amount. Not $350 worthy for the lack of an oud note.

Now, other than that, New York Oud is incredible. Definitely unisex but not on the feminine side although a female could easily pull this off. I feel like NYO is for confident people only, male or female.

Got instant compliments with only 1 spray to the shirt... 2 sprays and people know you're in the room. Do not and I repeat DO NOT use more than 2 sprays unless you like being overbearing.

My advice on New York Oud would be to find a deal if you make a purchase unless money is not a factor.