Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Darvant's avatar

Lemon Sorbet by Etro

An ultra-classic association of hesperides, lavender and vetiver with hints of aromatic herbs (a nice rosemary) and measured  patterns of spices. Averagely sharp (not utterly tart), masculine and conservative this lemony, aqueous and vintage  cologne  is evocative of an "old-school" kind of aristocratic man (in the same vein of Eau Savage, Imprinting, Blenheim Bouquet, 4711, Askett&English Essential and others) with its retro combination of elements. The dry down smells like a slightly spicy (spicy orange), aromatic and soft (may be ambery) combination of bergamot and vetiver. Effectively the lasting power  is mediocre. A dive in the past not without a touch of exoticism and charm.

Velma's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I Love this fragrance. It's citrusy yet woodsy and fresh. Smells like an antique store or walking through a woods full of pine trees. Used to wear it every day until I discovered Zara 9.71

Velma's avatar

Colden by Abercrombie & Fitch

I was dissapointed when I smelled this. It's not fresh and it doesn't take you on a journey. All I smelled was pepper, a tiny bit of lemon and pepperment. My grandfather always carries around peppermint candies so it reminded me of the inside of my grandfathers pockets. It also smells like an old man and a nursery home. I was super confused why they made a scent like that

Swanky's avatar

Perry Ellis Night by Perry Ellis

With the black bottle and "Night" moniker, one might expect a spicy, woody fragrance, one that is if not formal at least mature. Instead, we are treated to yet another generic citrus fresh fragrance. The notes list blood orange, but this is quite a synthetic version closer to orange peel than any fruit. Perhaps a little geranium contributes to a dry feeling but I don't get much else from the recipe. This doesn't smell bad but it also isn't very inspired and is the type of fragrance that isn't any better than going fragrance-free. Pass on this one.

05th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th July, 2012)

synthetic's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

The secret to this powdery sugar bomb is in the application. It is a lovely scent when used in moderation and cold weather. I do one shot to the chest and spritz on the wrist rubbed behind my ear.
    When I first tried it it was just too much as it is for most people.
    You can either wear it properly and enjoy a sweet/spicy fragrance with great projection and longevity or you can spray too much and pay the price.
    Obviously everyone knows how strong this stuff is so heed the warnings and you will be fine.

05th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2012)

impdaddee's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Straight out of the sample and into the air it seemed very nice...a hint of citrus, a hint of floral. Okay...let's try...one light spritz to each wrist...one on the neck. Nothing crazy.

Hmmmm...not what I expected...oh dear...

After an hour, I stink of detergent powder, have an irritated throat, a tiny bit of a headache, and want nothing more than to take a shower to scrub this stuff off. A classic scent that my body just doesn't work with at all, although my work colleagues quite like it.

After exiting my office and returning a few minutes later, I can smell it on the air, so there's a fair amount of projection and sillage. I like the smell of it on the air, absolutely, but on me? No, everytime I catch a whiff on my body heat, I feel like clearing my throat.

I could wear it solely for the pleasure of others, and irritate and annoy myself, but kindness first begins "at home". Too bad.

05th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2012)

Smelly Beast's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Route du Vetiver is together with Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire and Sel de Vetiver one of the best vetiver fragrances I have tried so far. I can only imagine how fabulous must have been the original version as people say it was darker and stronger.
    But dont be fooled buy appearances. It´s still a very bold and extreme scent.

In the opening I get a very sharp, dark and green smell of vetiver. It´s also wet and dirty like if you just pulled it out of wet dirt. I also get the smell of black current enhancing the dark aspect of the fragrance with its bitter and dry (not sweet) fruitiness. After that it becamos softer, and the dark rooty vetiver dominates the fragrance. In this fase I notice that the fragrance gets closer to the skin but I can smell it from time to time on me, I think it creates a clowd.

The nicest thing about it to me is that even though Route du Vetiver has a strong and dark vetiver note the whole composition is very trasparent and even a bit fresh. I love to wear this in a summer night wearing a white linen shirt. I feel very powerful, masculine and confident.

05th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 16th August, 2012)

Bijan for Men by Bijan

I have a love/hate relationship with Bijan. It's powerful and a completely unapologetic incense and patchouli nuke. My wife thinks it's good for killing mosquitoes. It's not really a practical scent for me...but I wear it when I am by myself and can really marinate on it without being interrupted by the many scents that come from my home (dinner cooking, chocolate covered kids, wet dog...) Bijan is something I would wear to a Thanksgiving get together or a fall evening relaxing on the patio with a microbrew.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Burberry is a pleasant and practical EDT for me. On my skin, the wood notes pop out - and there is that touch of executive sweetness...which is probably owed to the base notes. While Vanilla is listed in the pyramid, I get much more of a 'berry' tinge. I have no problem wearing this one anywhere. It's masculine, and clean. I have smelled a few like it - and most were made afterward. Chopard Noble Vetiver is most certainly one of them.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I live in St. Louis, MO - and this one is pretty well known in these parts as a club-only scent. I faked hating it for a long time before I would admit to owning a bottle. The stuff is truly beautiful. I have seen women literally roll their eyes in pleasure when sniffing my shirt. It smells a little fem to me, but hey - the wife loves it, so it has a home in my collection of bottles. There is no denying it's authority. One spray would get me through a weekend on the farm working around pigs.

Zut's avatar

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Are we all talking about the same EDT here? The Green Water I know has been around for over 60 years. It is minty but not very green and not very fresh. However, according to the Fragrantica website, there is a Green Water that was launched in 1993 and that one is really green (and no minty note is mentioned in the olfactory pyramid).

In my book, a green fragrance must have some very noticeable green notes. When I first tried Green water, I was expecting grassy notes or a hint of lime or citron. Not mint! As a rule, I don't really like mint in perfumes. To me, mint is something you put in liniments and medicinal ointments. I find Green Water (1947) musty and drab. It is not as fresh and energizing as one would expect.

However, if there is such a thing as the Green Water (1993) listed in the Fragrantica website, I suppose it could be really green and fresh (it does contain lime, green notes and oakmoss).

Top notes: Lime, green notes, mandarin orange, carrot, basil, petit grain, bergamot, lemon
    Middle notes: Ginger, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley
    Base notes: Amber, musk, oakmoss

Are there two versions of Green Water? If so, maybe the most recent one could have my thumbs up. Who knows?

gav's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Chanel Allure Homme - It justifies its name completely.
    I have this strange little nose that is very sensitive and I rarely like strong fragrances.
    So, I was a bit reluctant to buy a winter fragrance but still i manages to stroll down
    the shopping centre to give it a shot.

At first spray allure came out a bit strong and citrusy which my nose could not handle.
    I gave it up and was imagining on my way home that this could have been a masterpiece. All of a sudden turning the stearing wheel I felt this heavenly fragrance
    which was a bliss to sniff. Then I could smell the alluring base notes appear quite significantly and to top it up tonka bean gives a sweet touch. A pure bliss after top notes disappear. I would say after middle notes allure acts like a magnet.

Logevity : 6-8 hours on 3 sprays
    Projection : Excellent
    Sillage : Excellent

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Egoluxe Feminin by Otto Kern

My Dad bought me a bottle of this while on a business trip to Europe.
    Egoluxe Feminin smells like a cross between YSL Baby Doll and Prada Prada(or Costume National Scent which is almost identical)
    .I enjoy it ,it is pleasant ,sweet grapefruit and mandarin(works on my skin) with a woodsy ambery PATCHOULI dry down I like it,. but it isn't a eyerollback swoon-for fragrance .
    Longevity for me was okay around 5-6 hours if I recall correctly.
    Caveat -If grapefruit &/or citrus doesn't work well on your skin this may be a stinker.So test it before you buy.I tend to see a lot of mixed reviews about citrus scents .Most of the negative ones say 'It smelled soooo good on______that I asked _____ what it was and rushed out and bought a bottle of my own .But on me it smells like (sweat/pee/?)So test first!

buren's avatar

Sung by Alfred Sung

I have a mini of what is probably reformulated Sung.

If I'm at home & feeling a bit silly I enjoy a drop of it...a suggestion of spring flowers in the hyacinth & lemony notes.

However, I dislike lily of the valley or muguet, so this note (or chemical equivalent) stops me from using this scent.

buren's avatar

Maja by Myrurgia

I am such a lucky lady.

I started reviewing my perfume collection & thinking about Basenotes the day I found a lovely vintage box with 2 soaps & unopened Maja scent FROM SPAIN at my favorite thrift store.

I have to admit that I was so sensuously greedy I opened the bottle to wear it. You only live once, you know. (I had had a Maja mini long ago).

The scent is frisky & spicy...oranges, roses, clove....like Mediterranean sunshine, or like a wonderful pomander, in the middle of winter.

Francolino's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

reminds me of that crisp fresh air i used to breath on cool summer mornings around Kent!

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Habanita by Molinard

completely cannot stand this one... smells like sweet burnt plastic.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Cologne du Maghreb by Tauer

So this is 'natural' perfumery? Well, long live(d) synthetics!

Lemon, lavender, and a touch of rose. Lasts about as long as it'll take you to read this review. Pour Monsieur has a similar, but more tenacious, drydown.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Before Montale's onslaught of oud/rose combinations, there also existed Dark Rose by Czech & Speake. It seems to have disappeared for a while, been reformulated, and released once again to pander after the oud-crazed masses.

Dark Rose smells like port and leather at first, is joined by geranium (much quieter here than in its sibling, Rose 88), and then proceeds to a forgettable musky finish. Oud Cuir d'Arabie, whose middle stages DR is reminiscent of, is superior for its initial daring and rosier drydown.

IndianapolisVet's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Two sprays - first, I couldn't smell it, but my wife complained that I smelled "too perfumy". Then, half an hour later, I still couldn't smell it but now it was giving me a headache. So for those who say La Nuit de L'Homme smells like the mall... it makes you feel like you're at the mall too.

Zut's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

I am a big fan of classic Chanel fragrances and as a rule, I can appreciate a good cuir perfume. That being said, Cuir de Russie does not agree with me at all. On my skin, the wispy leather note vanishes as soon as the dry-down begins. Then, a loud, heavy and unrefined musky jasmine note à la Samsara takes over and I reek for hours. I am so sorry. I wanted to like this fragrance so bad.

Dunhill Custom by Dunhill

Apple, apple, and more apple. That's pretty much all I get on this. It didn't last very long on me, couple hours tops, and never developed into anything other than an apple cider-like scent.

Chrome by Azzaro

This is very aquatic and fresh on me, and while not offensive in any way, it also is relatively unremarkable. I agree with the reviewer who mentioned how this gets tired after regular use but it more interesting if I've not worn it in a while. I've used this as an on-and-off go-to for office work as it is light, inoffensive, and unremarkable on my skin.

Santal 33 by Le Labo

I really have always wanted to like this, and I'm enthused reading other reviews about how busy this scent is. I've worn it off and on, but I find this scent hard to place. Sometimes I like it, other times I want it to go away. I suspect that papyrus is what I'm picking up most, but I don't know that scent and I find it difficult to specifically pick out anything else over time. It seems a bit woody/herby and dry on me. It does last a long time and has decent projection, however.

I still try this out regularly, particularly in the warmer months, because I still really want to like it.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This scent is subdued and unremarkable on my skin, but that helps me like it for what I use it for: casual work/daytime go-to scent. It sticks to a citrus and woody scent on my skin, sort of a nice deep blue fresh top and it just lightens up a bit as it dries. Nothing bad at all for me. I like most of the constituent components, but none really drive this on me, making for a pleasant go-to scent for unremarkable days.

Essential by Lacoste

This is a go-to daytime/work fragrance for me. It starts out and stays nice and fresh, but seems a bit deeper underneath than a normal generic fresh frag does on my skin. As such, it's pleasant while not standing out too much. I believe it is the woody notes keeping it a bit deeper, but they don't stand out enough on my skin to notice them specifically.

Scentfanatic1631's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This stuff smells awful on my skin; not sure why. On paper it smelled nice, but a bit generic.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Thus far, this is easily my favorite go-to casual cologne to wear. It's very masculine with a powerful woody, incense, spiciness to it that lasts pretty much all day and has great projection. I absolutely love catching wafts of it through the day. A definite go-to outside of work or night life. It's one of the few frags I own that actually makes me feel more manly.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I like this scent, but there are two things going against it for me. First, I wore it back in high school and college; it's just something I've grown out of. Not that it is meant for younger crowds, but that's just when I happened to go through it. Second, it's a victim of its own popularity. Too often I'll run into a woman who already has a past association with the scent, most likely old flames, and that's not usually a good thing.

Still, I can't fault what is essentially a good frag, just not something I'd wear during this time of my life. :)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

An excellent, dark evening/casual cologne that I used a ton of back in high school and college. Unfortunately, much like my affair with Obsession, this means it has run its course in my life and not something I want to revisit today.