Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

ElVee's avatar
    ElVee

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Highly recommend this as a great, common scent. For me, it's something I wore in high school/college and can't really go back to using. It also is highly popular which means many people have past associations with the scent that aren't usually very flatteringly (old romances...). Still, a great, classic scent that works for many.

ElVee's avatar
    ElVee

cK one by Calvin Klein

Another frag I used back in high school/college and is part of my past and not my present. Excellent smell, but overly popular now.

Scentfanatic1631's avatar
    Scentfanatic1631

Philosykos by Diptyque

The fig in this is wonderful. I love this fragrance, natural and wonderful from the top notes through the dry down. My only complaint is that there is little longevity on this one.

CoL's avatar
    CoL

La Nuit de L'Homme Frozen Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent

This is absolutely STUNNING! Finally a fragrance house is doing something other than summer flankers, this is an oriental fragrance cooled down for winter! It has all the wonderful qualities and adds some lighter brighter top-mid notes.

I'm stocking up as this is limited and looks like production may have already stopped!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

The first time I encountered Angel (AMen) was at a discount fragrance shop at a mall. I asked the lady for something that smelled along the lines of Jordan Legend or Rochas Man. She grabbed the most amazing looking rubber flask from the rack, puffed 3 times on a piece of paper - and stuck it under my nose. I could have brained her for that. For years, I rued the day that that shop opened for business...and swore I was done with gourmand cologne other than the aforementioned Legend and Rochas Man. Fast forward to Christmas 2011... I was walking past a kiosk at a totally different mall - and this pungent odor caught me enough to saunter over and take a closer look. Amen. I was disgusted with myself. So disgusted that I bought a small bottle and hid it away for a cold night when the wife was on the road. That night happened last week. I loaded up with the stuff (6 sprays) on Friday night and stayed up watching Married With Children reruns until dawn (checking my wrists every hour). By 8am, the smell of disgust had worn off - and this amazingly unique and well-crafted scent turned the corner for me. I love the stuff from a distance, but it's not something I'd wear to work (unless I worked in a strip club) and most certainly would not wear to church. It's for smoky bars only - and even then I get strange looks from anyone I come in contact with. It suits my personality perfectly. Screw the status quo.

0j76's avatar
    0j76
    England England

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Sweet, rich, deep honeyed golden glow. Smells to me like a richer version of the excellent Givenchy Insense. Where the Givenchy is stern and sparse, Boss is big and comforting. I am reviewing the original Boss. The latest one in the shops labelled Boss Number 1 is different. For me, the original Boss is an all-time great.

jimmyfresno's avatar
    jimmyfresno

Bellodgia by Caron

I have the eau de cologne. I like the top carnation note on this fragrance, but in the first 5 minutes it reveals what I guess is Caron's mousse de saxe, but in this case the result is something that has a slightly citrusy/fecal/mossy "off" note, like the spray that is used to deoderize pet kennels. Who am I to question Caron.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Not at all what I expected. This is my second Geurlain fragrance - the first being the mighty Vetiver (which is in my all time top 3). I guess I expected something more 'European"...but what I get is an American tequila and lime. I'm fond of it, but have no exact use for it. The top notes are all I get for the duration, and it does not last more than 2 hours on my skin with heavy application. The wife loves mojitos, so she digs it - but it's not sexy enough for a night out with her (That's for Rochas Man). Overall, it's bland - but not bland enough for me to lose interest. Might work for a business dinner or happy hour. Maybe it will grow on me. If you are a fan of Vetiver and it's earthly richness...stick to Vetiver.

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

Apparition Homme Intense by Ungaro

This is a cross between B*men's rhubarb and spices, with Lolita Lempicka's Au Masculin. I actually like the original version because of the heavy dose of mandarin orange in the opening. This fragrance smells cheap to me. Nothing I would ever want to wear.

tay8000m's avatar
    tay8000m

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto

I know the assessment of a fragrance is subjective, but I am shocked at how bad this was after purchasing a bottle based on the mostly glowing reviews on Basenotes. Ericrico’s review nails it and my experience was nearly identical. The vetiver in this scent is minimal to non-existent, only peaking through the mélanges of synthetic awfulness after 30 to 40 minutes of olfactory masochism. The initial onslaught is of the odor of my oven being self-cleaned with a rancid and sickly sweet overlay. After several minutes, which seem like hours, this devolves to an unpleasant, synthetic combination of smoldering garbage and Lysol air freshener, with apologies to Lysol. I am completely amazed that anyone could prefer this to Vetiver by Guerlain, Sycomore , or Vetiver Extraordinaire. Caveat emptor.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Canali Style by Canali

Yet another sweetened ersatz wood fragrance with a fake musk drydown. If you have Armani Code there is no reason to pick this up. This was a blind buy that didn't turn out so well. No, it's not awful but is that praise? The unimaginative name should have tipped me off that the frag would be bland. The upscale packaging borders on false advertising. Even the longevity is mediocre.

06 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2012)

buren's avatar
    buren

Tweed by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

I have a wee bottle of vintage Tweed & I'm very grateful because I kept looking & looking for it, remembering how I loved a Lentheric bottle of cologne or EDT in youth (50+ years ago!).

The opening notes are brisk & strong, but the dry down is rapid to a gentle floral note that is very agreeable. This slight scent lingers subliminally rather than with cloying sweetness or with chemical "freshness".

A faint vetiver & wood note breathes underneath, an echo.

06 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2012)

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Pepper for me, at least - is really an afterthought in the fragrance pyramid. However, with BANG, one has to really stop and take notice of it. You're kind of forced to. Though the opening is powerful, this one settles down into a woody, clean, almost soapy creation. Though I have a hard time smelling it at all after 2 hours, co-workers remind me that it's still there. I'd give this one higher marks if I thought it lasted longer (or was a bit more interesting after the opening)...it's versatile, and I use it when I need to wake up on a Tuesday before heading to work. There is certainly something in the heart notes that causes me to have olfactory fatigue - Ozone maybe?

06 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Eau Rose by Diptyque

A musky rose full of nuances, with  floral and green accents, an impressive texture (woody, mossy and slightly leathery) and a sheer final womanly trait. May be is the note of white honey together with the duo rose-jasmine to imprint a sensual and sophisticated vibe. The juice smells not as a classic linear rose fragrance, this one is indeed not ethereal, translucent, neutral, soapy or "art deco" kind but simply modern, carefree, sexy and multifaceted. Really a floral one with diverse stages of rosey whiffs. The consistence is well bodied, persistent but anyway averagely  light and airy. I appreciate the sensuality of honey and blackcurrant which is along the way well balanced and soft. A respectful fragrance for a modern romantic and energic woman.

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I've had a brief amount of time to sample this one. Overall, it stands out from many other fragrances and seems very good for the winter. I would probably give this one at least a 7 or maybe an 8 out of 10.

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Very fresh citrus scent, with sweet undercurrents of gourmand notes. Overall, among the 100 fresh fragrances I've tried, this one impressed me. At a very low price point of $30 for a 100ml, there are not much better deals out there.

JayJ83's avatar
    JayJ83

Epic Man by Amouage

The clue is in the name, this truly is Epic!!!
    One, if not The best fragrances i have had the pleasure to smell... and i smelt a LOT!!
    I am working my way through a 10ml decant, and when i run out i am getting a 100ml bottle of this straight away. Thinking this could be my signature Autumn/Winter scent. This lasts 24 hours on my skin, and that is with one spray on my arm! I have quite a few longevity monsters in my collection, Thierry Mugler A*men/Pure Malt, JPG Le Male, Gucci Envy + Gucci Pour Homme to name but a few, but none come close to this. This is rich, deep, spicy and woody, an intoxicating masculine scent that is second to none. 10/10 Perfection :)

MonkeyBars's avatar
    MonkeyBars

G-11 by Il Profumo

Notes from Il Profumo:

Top: Green & Hesperidic notes
    Heart: Tobacco Flower, Neroli, Rosewood, English Lavender
    Base: White musk, vetiver, sandalwood, cypress, patchouli, oakmoss

A traditional 60s-70s style masculine. It does feel balanced, but the unlisted heavy, smoky birch tar "leather" ruins the ride for me -- I hate birch tar.

raverdudes's avatar
    raverdudes
    Venezuela Venezuela

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

I got very curious about this one after reading the reviews here and decided to blind-buy it online. The composition sounded right up my alley. I got it just today, and I'm disappointed in it. For starters, the bottle is -IMO- very ugly. The cap fits so tight that makes it difficult to remove. The atomizer is one of the worst I've tried. Then, there's the fragrance itself. I can smell that apple/cinammon mix everyone mentions, but I think it's highly synthetic. After 10 minutes, it dries down to a woody semi-sweet VERY CLOSE to the skin fragrance. Kinda nice. Longevity is very poor (2-3 hours tops). However, I find it quite strange that after the first few hours, I have asked some of my friends if they can smell it (really close to me, of course) and they say they do, and that it smells kinda woody, yet I can't smell it at all. Like, literally, I smell NOTHING. I love fragrances with great sillage and this one is definitely NOT one of those. Good thing it was very cheap (14 US$ for a 100ml bottle). I don't see myself reaching for this too often, and I'm definitely not buying it again once I finish this bottle. As a matter of fact, I might end up giving it away.

Tropical Punch by Escada

As much as I like fruity, tropical fragrances...I just don't like this one as much as the other Escada fragrances (like Island Kiss). It's missing a little something for me. I do like it enough to wear it...but when I do, it doesn't last long on me at all. I would say about an hour later I can't tell I ever put it on. Overall, a little disappointing.

Island Kiss by Escada

Smells like a beautiful tropical vacation. Island Kiss is sweet and fruity with floral undertones. I pick up mostly on the Mango, Raspberry, Peach, and Hibiscus. This is a lighthearted and cheery fragrance. Perfect for Summer...or anytime you want it to feel like Summer :)

Marine Groove by Escada

A sweet Passion fruit scent with Floral undertones and a hint of a Marine saltiness. Although it is a sweeter smelling perfume...I find that that marine element cuts the sweetness and gives the perfume a savory element as well. It makes me feel like I'm on vacation somewhere tropical...laying on the beach with a lush floral setting and a delicious island cocktail. A perfect scent for Summer. I love the scent and get compliments when wearing it.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Marbert Man by Marbert

A blaring, crude bastard from the 70s with a hairy chest and a hairy ass, Marbert Man is Brut's younger, uglier brother who swears a lot and farts at the dinner table. Aromatic fougeres don't get any louder or more abrasive than this. Marbert Man is all about full-on power, with the accelerator pressed to the floor.

Dark, bitter herbs are the highlight of this frag, with a ton of leather and patchouli to make it all even more masculine. This is like the father of Quorum. There's an underlying smell of oily rags in the background, added for full macho effect.

If this all sounds like I'm criticizing this fragrance, sorry, but I'm not. I like boisterous, strong fragrances, and Marbert is no exception. Despite its ham-fisted approach to perfumery, Marbert Man's countless notes come together and blend very well, so this is quite wearable.

An aquatic fan's worst nightmare.

MY RATING: 8/10

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Marbert Man by Marbert

An aquatic fan's worst nightmare.

MY RATING: 8/10

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Not a fan of this male fragrance. It seems generic to me and doesn't create much interest. The thought that comes to mind is "boring business man."

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Love this fragrance! Very sexy and alluring on a man. One of my favorite male fragrances.

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

A pleasant and demure fragrance. Sweet, floral, and little powdery. Reminds me of the sweet plastic smell on childhood toys (think My Little Pony)!...and I don't really mean that in a bad way :)

Dmotron's avatar
    Dmotron

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

This is very good. The woody and fruity scent together is a very nice touch, making it boozy. I haven't came across any woody scent like this, or anything like this for that matter. I do get some metallic scent from it as well...which isn't that appealing. Not to sure ladies really fall for this stuff like many say but I like this a lot. This isn't a holy frail frag but very solid and will be in my rotation.

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Honey & the Moon No. 10 by Tokyo Milk

Tokyo Milk - Honey and the Moon No. 10 is a sweet honey with sugary florals and a hint of creamy sandalwood. Albeit somewhat linear, it's a reasonably-priced, feminine fragrance.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

GrigioPerla by La Perla

GrigioPerla opens with an accord that immediately calls to mind the scent of Cool Water with a nice soapy herbal lavender and bergamot composition comprising the top notes before a strong anise accord takes the fore in the heart notes and pretty much remains there through the rest the scent's duration mixing with amber in the base, conveying a more barbershop Rive Gauche fougere vibe. Longevity and projection are both excellent.

When I first tried on my sample, I thought I had sprayed Cool Water on by mistake as the similarity is quite notable. That said, GrigioPerla does at least distance itself somewhat from its obvious target by veering off to the barbershop vein in its heart and dry-down without completely losing track of where it initially was headed. After smelling so many Cool Water (well really Green Irish Tweed) clones over the years, it is hard to get excited about yet another one so many years later... Maybe when this first came out in the early nineties it would have been more impressive, but while I can appreciate the effort that went into GrigioPerla its lack of originality hurts my overall impression of it, and quite frankly vintage Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed both smell better. If you want to clone something, you have to distinguish yourself, and sadly I don't think this does. I give GrigioPerla which does at least smell good, an above average 3 out of 5 star rating.