Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Pasha by Cartier

heavy, far out....just a classic fouger!

Roadster by Cartier

far out for summer, classic and fresh

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

heavy stuff for fougeres freaks, a must if you like huge gothic powerhouses, cemeterial like all the best from the mighty Eighties!!!!

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Neroli by Czech & Speake

Blossom and zest, indoles and sweat, a dab of the usual C&S civet, and a musky ylang-ylang drydown. A little soapy for me, but nonetheless a decent exploration of what neroli has to offer.

alfarom's avatar

GrigioPerla by La Perla

Unremarkable and stereotyped masculine fougere with an oriental twist. No more, no less.

Si Lolita by Lolita Lempicka

I am like the former reviewers bewildered by the official ingredients pyramid. Here's what I get: An opening with butterscotch, anise and a third ingredient I can't articulate. To me, there's no cinnamon anywhere in this.

It hardly changes towards its drydown. I'd put an overall characterisation on Lolita Si down as a flowery/candylike oriental. I kind of like it but I do think it leans over into unisex/pour homme territory.

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

Sour, synthetic, bland, generic white-out liquid. Floral? There is no plant in the universe this boring? Hedione, is that you?

murysusanto's avatar

Montana Black Edition by Montana

Smell like the original montana in red box, probably this is darker or intense

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

Grapefruit vanilla rules! Roma is a light oriental with an unfashionable sweet fruitiness. Its closest cousin is probably Obsession for men and whoever said Roma could be worn by a man was absolutely right. Probably better than Roma Uomo anyway.

sjohnjay's avatar

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

I can't give this a thumbs-down, due to the fact it is very high quality, and smells really good.
    On the other hand, this is a foolish purchase.
    Ormonde Man is nothing but a EDP version of Lalique's Eau de Lalique.
    Identical except for the fact that Eau de Lalique is a tiny fraction of the price, and outlasts Ormonde Man by several hours.

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

Sweet, fresh floral with big projection and a playful, pleasant flirtiness to it. Young woman's fragrance for sure. Memories, memories...

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

LuciusVorenus' review says it all, but anyway I'm going to add that I found Lacoste pour Homme metallic, synthetic, overly sweet and headache-inducing. It's just too much of a good idea. Rum? Who the hell wants to smell like rum? With grease and brown sugar dissolved in it?

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

St Johns West Indian Lime by West Indies Bay Company

Nice and refreshing, if not on par with the zingier Trumper's (but then what is?). The bottle has a nice Caribean vibe to it, though. Like all straight limes more of a body spray than a full-fledged cologne, so use and reapply profusely!

buren's avatar

Thé Vert by Roger & Gallet

As of today I own a little bottle of Eau de Thé Vert. I didn't realize I was buying a "masculine" scent (brand new at the yard sale) but now I know that at least it's for "men & women".

Ingredients are described as including grapefruit & yuzu (lemon & mandarin orange) but it hits me ait like a good lime cologne for men tempered with herbs, cedar & Martian orange. Real green tea is a much more subtle & unique scent, astringent but almost floral.

What this adventure did for me was to make me REALLY APPRECIATE ROCHAS FLEUR D'EAU! Fleur d'Eau uses some of the same tones in a much more subtle way. Its gentle dry down complements the scent of (my) flesh, but.....sad to say....Eau de Thé Vert is lingering in a sort of stronger, "artificial lime syrup" way that clashes with my own smell.

Flora's avatar

Peony/Rose by Ellen Tracy

I got this on a whim because it was so inexpensive and it's turned into a favorite. Very nice "sugared rose" with peony but it does not get overly sweet; the peony keeps it honest. I wear it to work when I can't think of what else to wear because it's the perfect office fragrance. Longevity is excellent for a floral. I think this was a limited edition, so I should probably get more soon, as well as the body lotion. Very easy to live with and has moderate sillage without being too much.

(The bottle is weird - Interesting to look at but its shape makes it hard to hold with one hand so I have to be careful not to drop it and support it with my other hand while spraying . That's a minor point though.)

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Flowery harsh synthetic spice mess, too sweet. If you want something a little more sophisticated and masculine, give the original Opium a try. Yes, the pour Femme one.

07 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2012)

Stetson by Stetson

The old TV spot for Stetson went: (angelic voices and man on horse in a snowy field) "Stetson makes it easy for youuu..."

Makes what easy exactly? Most women hate colognes like this one and the only way it might work is by announcing its wearer as a guy so damn confident that he'd wear a loud, candy-like concoction like this just because HE happens to like it it, to hell with you and your good taste.

I played with the idea of a neutral here, but, sorry, it has to be a thumbs down. Did you ever watch the old TV show "Gunsmoke"? I say this is NOT what Matt Dillon would wear; Stetson is really Kitty the saloon-maid's perfume.

07 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2012)

Gauloise by Molyneux

The name has nothing to do with the brand of cigarettes (also defunct) but rather alludes to the archetypical French woman: La Gauloise: The Gallic woman. It was a powdery floral with a personality. Vive la France!

07 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

silentrich's avatar

Jet Homme by Avon

First off you can get Jet Homme for less than $10 a bottle. Secondly it's not as good as Zirh Icon which you can get for less than $10 a bottle. Jet Homme starts off with the mandarin orange followed by a nice incense and wood drydown. What really separates this from Zirh Icon is the fig note. If you like incense than go with Icon, but if your looking to try a fig fragrance, then this is a very inexpensive introduction.

jic's avatar

Cologne by Boots

It's funny: I've been shopping at Boots on and off for almost my entire life, and I never knew this existed until I stumbled across it on Basenotes! As a fan of both traditional eau de colognes and bargains (it's £4.39 for 400ml at the time of writing), I had to check it out. I found it in one of the larger of my local Boots, stocked with the women's deodorants. This mostly explains why I'd never seen it before, as I'm not a woman. I later splashed some on after a shower, and I was not disappointed. It was cooling and refreshing, and had exactly the faintly medicinal, citrus/rose/woody notes I was looking for. The smell faded away fairly quickly, but I expected that. I'm not going to pretend it's a truly exceptional cologne, but it's certainly exceptional value for money.

synthetic's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

This is everywhere here in Australia. Everywhere.
    Scent is not terrible by any means, but I have never understood the hype around this sweet bomb. Far too strong and has a tendency to induce a headache.
    Opens up with a feminine sweetness of blood orange and grapefruit which after a while amps up and the blonde leather and amber start showing themselves and sadly, doesn't evolve past that.
    Maybe on other people this smells great but one me it is headache inducing sweet. And this is coming from someone who rocks JOOP!
    It is a well blended scent but it's just too "clubby" for me. Maybe if they put some manlier notes up in there I would like it but to me it conjures up images of guys bathing in this while scouting for easy girls at some club in the CBD.

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

Black Tie by Washington Tremlett

Luckyscent website describes this to be 'a wonderfully modern creation if not avant-garde' and finishes singing praise for it by calling it 'stunning'!

I tried it several times and it develops to a boring scent on my skin which is everything but pleasant, avant-garde(!) and stunning! I can detect traces of rose and saffron; I like these notes but of course not in the way they are used here.

It is subtle with little projection and has moderate longevity. Definitely unisex if not feminine.

It gets 1 out of 10 IMHO.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Trophée Lancôme by Lancôme

Twin brother of Marc de la Morandiere M pour monsieur, they smell practically identical.
    Both hard to find, both kinda expensive, if you have either one of them, you don't need the other.
    A citric opening that turns somewhat herbal/floral and ends woody/mossy and while M pour monsieur feels slightly sweeter, this fragrance is slightly spicier, but so subtle are the differences that I am sure I could not tell them apart in a blind test.
    Both are close to the skin fragrances with medium longevity, M pour monsieur wins by a nose (pun intended) in this department.
    I enjoy wearing them and like them both a lot, but not enough for a thumbs up

shamu1's avatar

Timberline by Dana

Swanky is right - the bottle you see online being sold for dirt cheap has an "MEM" sticker on the bottom, but I too can't believe that what I'm smelling is the same 70s classic everyone seems to like.

No, what I get is a semi-sweet, semi-spicy, semi-everything, boring-ass woody oriental, with no sillage and about 30 minutes hang time. This a truly characterless and lifeless scent.

Don't be lured into even spending the $6 I paid for my bottle. Timberline truly sucks.

MY RATING: 2/10

change1's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

This is a classic men's fragrance.... I love the opening to the dry-down... Azzaro Pour Homme is what I grab when I'm in doubt of what to wear to office at work... 2 spray to each side of the neck during the colder weather and it works like magic....

jcav422's avatar

Classic by Bath and Body Works

Classic is a very unique scent, different from the other five fragrances in BBW's mens collection. I'm very disappointed it's been discontinued. This is probably due to the fact that it did not sell as well as their big hit Ocean or Twilight Woods For Men. Anyway, I tried the shower gel, body lotion, and body spray in this scent before the cologne spray. I came across the cologne for 75% off at their most recent semi-annual sale and grabbed two for $7 and some change a piece! what a bargain! anyway into the scent.

It starts off very fresh and clean. the cardamom really comes out and there is a fruit note, which smells more like pear than apple to my nose. The bourbon also provides a punch.

Once the fragrance dries for about 45 minutes, this delves into a spicy sweet scent. The different types of pepper blend to create a musk scent while the sandalwood stays in the background.

When the scent dries for over 2 hours, it turns into a deep vanilla scent. I love how this smells. It is a very masculine vanilla that collides with some more sandalwood.

Overall, this fragrance is great! It shifts from fresh to spicy to warm and woody. If you can get your hands on this, I would.

As for longevity, on my skin it lasted 7 hours, which is pretty good for a cologne that was $29.50 originally.

I personally use two sprays on the neck, one on an arm, two on my chest, and one on my back.

Lovescully's avatar

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

I really love this when it's first sprayed, however it has absolutely no sillage or longevity.

It's really very fresh and uplifting, but in my experience lasts only about 20 - 30 minutes maximum on my skin. Lucky it comes in a 125ml size bottle!

Frustratingly, I'd have to say that this is a failure, albeit a pleasantly uplifting one! I'm giving this a neutral rating because I do love the smell.

exciter76's avatar

Red Jeans by Versace

Versace’s Red Jeans has all the scented chronological markers of a mid-1990s perfume: an opening of pitted fruits, a gooey center of traditional flowers of pink, yellow, white and purple, and a base of sandalwood-and-white-floral muskiness. What sets this apart from its contemporaries is its muted nature. While Tresor, Tuscany Per Donna, and Champs Elisées were shouting Red Jeans was speaking coyly in hushed tones. But do not think because the volume was turned down that the impact of what was whispered was diminished—it still packs a wallop.

The opening is lightly sweetened peach iced tea and rose petals. Then, once the juice dries upon the skin, it transmutes into a powder-free, sugar-free violet, similar to the violet in Bvlgari II. The roses are still lurking around but the heart is a big bouquet of violets. The drydown is familiar, like the one encountered in Happy, Charlie White, and Splendor. I love this white floral/musk base so I’m smitten with the drydown. If you are turned off by the all-too-familiar musky base, run—don’t walk—from this perfume; expect this musk to linger till your next shower.

I am always shocked and amazed at the going price of RJ—it’s practically being given away. I’ve spent up to seven times as much for perfumes of inferior quality. Just looking at the cheeky bottle, it is easy to forget this is a fragrance from the house of Versace. It is, in fact, a Versace perfume and it is quite possibly one of the house’s best. It is definitely one of the best violet fragrances I have yet tried. Don’t let the bottle or the price scare you away.

exciter76's avatar

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

I cannot help but tie this fragrance to nostalgia; I wore this fragrance to my senior prom. Nostalgia aside, this is actually a really enjoyable hearty fragrance. Tresor may have popularized the spicy pitted-fruit floriental trend of the 1990s but Tuscany Per Donna perfected that trend. TPD smells like the 1990s but it encapsulates the best of what the decade had to offer in a bottle.

TPD is distinctive, redolent with spice-laden stone fruit preserves. There are no spices listed but it smells spiced—I think the spiciness can be attributed to the carnation (I’m not a fan of carnation but it is so irresistible here). It does not take long for the vanilla, amber, and warm woods to imitate the scent of bakery goods—those fruit-filled butter cookies come to mind. It’s blissful! This decadent scent will stick around from first spray to next shower. The sillage and projection are typical of most 1990s scents: strong and sturdy.

I have an aged bottle—my second one—from the late-1990s that has only gotten richer with proper storage and time. I liked it when I was seventeen but I love it now that I am old (read: evolved) enough to appreciate all its phases. I love TPD for its unabashed personality and its ability to be gourmand at heart without being sickly saccharine.

RobbieX's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Potent, sweet, unmistakable. Great oriental!