Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

24 by ScentStory FZE

This is one spicy little number. The notes that stand out are the cinnamon, vanilla, amber, pepper, and nutmeg. This is along the lines of Creed Original Santal and Mont Blanc Individuel. I've owned both of those and I actually prefer 24 The Fragrance. The opening is cinnamon overload, but the heart and dry down are a pleasant blend of cinnnamon, vanilla, amber, and other supporting notes. Great bang for you buck fragrance.

Hojji77's avatar
    Hojji77

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Not much I can add to the note-detecting of previous reviewers. There's a lot in here, and it's competent, workmanlike, unobjectionable, and clearly a good value. Ikon is a cozy and rather anonymous masculine with neither the ambition nor the chops to present us with anything groundbreaking or inspiring; its amiability is both its strength and its fundamental limitation. I got mine for $12.00--a bargain, yes, but like that plaid short-sleeved Land's End button-down my mother got me, I wonder when and why I'd ever be moved to wear it.

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Bed of Roses by JAR

The SA at Bergdorf's slyly put some of this on my wrist when I was in there buying a bottle of something else, after I had mentioned it in passing.
    They really should have called it A Bed of Roses and Carnations, because it was nowhere near as straight-across-the-plate rosey as I expected...in fact it reminded me greatly of a Caron (I am not sure how Caron's Rose is, as I have never smelled it), but this is very spicey and thick, and for some reason it also brought to mind Rose de Nuit by Shiseido. BoR is a bed roses is plush and hot and spicey. Not something I would wear as I prefer the fresh garden roses, which is a good thing for me, because the SA told me only 10 bottles of it were ever made.

Rebel Angel by Cherry Bomb Killer Perfume

Has an immediate, thick vanilla creme puff scent, a bit nutty, but more like a morning cereal a la captain crunch. Basically a peanut butter/vanilla play. Really nice for what it's trying to do. I'd envision this worn by a sub-25 year old girl.

Truth or Dare by Cherry Bomb Killer Perfume

An excellent brown sugar/vanilla play; sweet, warm, but not too much. It smells a bit heavier on the brown sugar, like sticking your nose into a bag of it. I envision this worn by a younger girl than anyone else, but really nice for what it is doing.

Taken by Jane Booke

This is a gorgeous yummy vanilla frag, one of the best I've smelled, really. Just a hint of florals to keep it from being crazy, but otherwise a beautiful vanilla and makes my mouth water. This is marked as feminine, but I'm thinking I could smell this just fine on a man in the right situations as well.

Francolino's avatar
    Francolino

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

having it on heavy rotation made me sick of this, but this juice is a true masterpiece with sillage and pure class oozing!

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

What in my opinion does defines the initial Ambre Fetiche's "scrawled" mess is a rough and averagely dry (for a while at least) combination of spices (i think cinnamon overall), light smoky frankincense, labdanum, dry fruits (plums?) and dusty ( styrax) amber. Some woodsy resins lurk around in the middle of the sweet tornado. The burst is originally shocking in its salty-sweet (yet fruity) dissonance but in a while its kind of doping dirtiness starts to crab you for the throat as the alcohol's need does with the alcohol dependents under abstinence. In this phase the sweetness, still notable, bursts and fades a touch in a sort of mild-opaque olfactory alternance  and the perfume is a bit decadent in its slightly bitter and resinous undertone simil-beeswax, in its play of lights and shades and due to a touch of bergamot and patchouli (i suppose). Many micro particles of cream, incense, spices and moss keep on swirling around in an even more increasing  milky-powdery sweet way till when  a subtle sophisticated floral-musky accent plays its game leaning the juice over a more feminine side. The juice holds on being powdery because of the benzoin, the powdery-detergent  effect from iris, white woods and some incense still lingering around. The final touch of leather whereof many talk about is a pattern of final suede that emerges when the molecular milky dust starts a bit to recede and a more defined floral spark soars in the air. Another ambery fragrance whereof i appreciate the alternance of the different stages in its long trip. Just the dry down is fully satisfactory to me but at this point the lasting power has finally exausted its energy.

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This scent is one of the most uplifting, alluring and refreshing ones from the SL House; themed around woody mossy notes.

It took me about 5 wearings to understand it fully; have now established a strong connection with the meaning and the soul of the scent. I wear it mostly on spring/autumn/summer days during the day time to refresh me and remind me of how powerful nature really is...

If you enjoy the fougere and woody genres, give Chene a try; you might fall in love too and make it an essential piece in your wardobe/travel box set, like I do.

Good longevity and sillage !

PsychoTommy's avatar
    PsychoTommy
    Hungary Hungary

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

I've just bought it blind after a couple of weeks of online research. I'm a regular user of Kouros and Salvador Dali PH, and I was expecting something similar after reading the reviews, but it doesn't even come close. (On a theoretical level, it does, both being very '80s - but technically, it's totally different.)

BUT! Ever since I've put it on, I've had a nagging feeling that it reminds me of something, which seemed funny, as I could swear I've never smelled anything like it before. And then it struck me - this juice is SO VERY EFFING SIMILAR to Caron's L'Anarchiste (of which I'm also a big fan and regular user), that I've been laughing loud ever since I realised it! When I first tried L'Anarchiste, it was instant love for the first sniff, as I considered it truly unique with its minty-spicy-metallic fruit note, resembling nothing else on the market. Now it turns out it has a daddy, and it's called Lapidus Pour Homme! The similarity is so striking, I just can't believe it! The only difference is that there's pineapple in this instead of oranges, and pipe tobacco instead of mint, but the rest - the woods, spices and most prominently, the patchouli, even the smokiness - are spot-on the same! Amazing! Can anybody else confirm this? Did nobody else ever notice? O_O

I can't give a more detailed breakdown about the scent, the sillage and the longevity now, as I've just started rocking this thing, but I'll get back to you after I've had some more experience with this - and after getting over the shock that one of my adorably unique perfumes from the 2000s was indeed made up in the '80s! :)

RobbieX's avatar
    RobbieX

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

A gorgeous, powerful scent. Old school but very special. Vanilal, orange and aldehydes, it lasts for ages.

Wee Scottish Scent Lover's avatar
    Wee Scottish Scent Lover

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

Every time I smell it on someone, I think it's gorgeous. But I just can't buy it. It's tacky, cheap, synthetic and chavvy.

yellow_cello's avatar
    yellow_cello

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Imagine the honeyed sandalwood of jeux de peau without the butter, and with thick roses and a hint of jasmine. Lovely!

noorderloos's avatar
    noorderloos

Heliotrope by Mary Chess

I think i have a new favourite
    really adorable summer smell
    sweet, round but light and not cloying
    a very natural smell, with a vanilla drydown
    beautiful!

jujy54's avatar
    jujy54

Kipling by Weil

A less adventurous Yatagan, and since Yatagan is avaiable and inexpensive, you can skip the ebay mishegoss.

Nuit Etoilée by Annick Goutal

Very evocative, though not of a starry night. I get fir, fir, fir, lemon and some mint, so to me it's evocative of a coniferous forest at any time of day.

Gershwin by Maria Candida Gentile

Gershwin smells more like room fragrances or natural perfume oils than most commercial alcohol-based perfumes - dense, green and citrusy.

Azemour les Orangers by Parfum d'Empire

I'm really not a fan of neroli or orange blossom, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. It's juicy, zesty, fresh and bright like citrus fruits, not sickly-sweet and powdery like citrus flowers. There's a certain soapiness to it - pleasant, like well-made, old-fashioned colognes. Underneath the citrus there are intriguing undertones: something dusty-dry (last time I encountered something similar was in Etat Libre d'Orange's Vierges et Toreros) and a hint of animalic cumin. All in all, it's quite a lot like a lighter, fresher, more citrusy and less intensely animalic/spicy version of Eau d'Hermes.

Marais's avatar
    Marais

Touaregh by Il Profumo

A dry, monotonous clove/incense. It really cries out for something sweet to provide a bit of contrast and relieve the tedium. Excellent longevity.

ericrico's avatar
    ericrico

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

Great reviews here - Shamu1 nails the scent's composition...this is truly a deep, warm patchouli-laden, nicely spiced, amber, wood and musk scent. It is rich but not too heavy for me. It actually deserves the attention it gets from fragrance lovers.

I have a Vintage Splash (4oz bottle) that I adore and recently ordered a 4oz splash online and it is the reformulation. I tried the latest spray in the store and it smelled somewhat close, but the patchouli smelled smoky/burnt and then it faded to a light skin scent - rather odd. However, the current formulation splash seems to wear a lot better...more similar to the Vintage, but toned down. Side-by-side, you can smell the richness and depth of spices that I believe make Vintage superior. So, it has a little bit less depth, but it still retains the smooth, warm patchouli, wood, musk and spices. The key note that keeps current formulation good is the warm amber. It is about equal and that allows the scent to carry and is a nice note in and of itself.

There is a bit of green herbs in the blend as well - along with cloves (which is stronger in Vintage). Going back & forth - my old juice is very balanced, rich and powerful...memories in a bottle! I love the old box and the marketing lines they print on it - cheesy as hell, but it adds to the macho vibe! The current is still very good, but it is definitely lighter and has less depth. It may be more wearable in today's world - but I really like the brute force of Vintage.

70's marketing aside...this is seriously good stuff. My collection of Vintage Musks would not be complete without this. Jovan's line of musks are very different from one another. To have this, Vintage Musk for Men, Vintage White Musk and other great bottles from the 70's and 80's in my cabinet is just pure fun and you will not smell like everyone else out there. Wear a nice splash of Jovan Sex Appeal, a high-end T-shirt and designer jeans and your hair slicked back on a warm summer day (or throw on a leather jacket over the top in the cooler weather) - but just throw your attitude around with your scent. You will get noticed.

Macho as hell...nothing that smells this good will ever go out of style. Period. I highly recommend it - get the current formulation 4oz Splash bottle, as it is being carried everywhere. I think the spray takes away from how this scent should be applied - and it makes a difference in how it smells. If you are serious - pursue a bottle of Vintage!

Wise Owl's avatar
    Wise Owl

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This is a scent i'd like a lot more if it was toned down a few notches. The raspberry and anise notes dominate above all else and as a result it's very syrupy, sickly and cloying. The woody notes do come more into play as it dries down, but they seem like only an afterthought and the fruity sweetness continues to overpower throughout. On the plus side projection and longevity are fantastic. So go easy on the trigger finger otherwise people will smell you coming for miles around!

Freschi's avatar
    Freschi

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

I own the 1987 vintage as well as the new reformulated one. IMO the '87 version is more complex and smells more traditional 80's. If you're a big fan then get the vintage because you will notice the difference straight away. The smell of Lapidus is potent it's full of vibe, character and excitement - that's the kind of positive feedback i normally get from the opposite sex.

Muzzer27's avatar
    Muzzer27
    Poland Poland

Kenzoair Intense by Kenzo

Hi everyone! Although I've been around on this website for a while, this is my very first review on ''basenotes''. Why now? I'm not sure. Maybe I thought this is the right time to share an opinion with you professional scent loving perfume sniffers, or maybe I just wanted to give Kenzo Air its credit, and boy-it really deserves some compliments. Ok, so much for an introduction. Let's cut to the chase: in my case Kenzo Air was a blind buy. All I wanted was a unique summer scent, so I starded to look for something fresh (but not trivial) that would appeal to my rahter individual personality. Having once tried summer scents of the likes of Carolina Herrera Aqua or Versace Pour Homme, I was looking forward to something totally different. And I mean different, something even on the verge of oddness, a harmless olfactory weirdo, a genious maverick of a scent. Browsing dozens of websites and reading loads of reviews, I finally came across a captivating and mesmerizing contraption called Kenzo Air. Without much ado, tempted by its favourable basenote opinions and an enchanting bottle, I decided to give it a shot. So far I’ve never regreted my decision, not for a microsecond. This scent is marvellous and very different from most plain aquatic scents. Anise goes on top from the first spray and it stays on you all the time. The projection is quite moderate, but the sillage is very good, and the longevity is simply top notch! Even if you think it’s gone, believe me, it surrounds you all day long, giving those around you a pleasant feeling of an invigorating and soothing whiff of air once you pass them or a gentle breeze touching your skin when they stand close to you. It's not a conspicuous scent, not that ''Everybody-listen-up-I’m-here'' or ''Please-pay-attention'' type of scent. Rather than that, it’s more discrete, clandestine, somewhat vigilant, a ''Hidden Dragon, Crouching Tiger'' of scents, seems absent, but appears every time you need it. I’ve tried a few scents in my life, some of them I liked, some of them not, there are even some scents I would like to go back to out of sentiment, but Kenzo Air is the one I love and I cannot imagine myself giving it up, ever. If I had to pick my signature scent – this would be it. By the way, I get compliments by literally everyone I know who caught me in the act of wearing Kenzo Air. It may not be sophisticated, but considering the charm of the scent combined with the incredible bottle, it’s a masterpiece worth every penny.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Opus VI by Amouage

Opus VI opens with a peppery incense accord before quickly taking a backseat to the star of the scent... amber. The amber heart is super-potent and combines with frankincense to create an mildly spiced almost buttery almond undertone to the amber. Patchouli and sandalwood in the base complement the composition with just the faintest hint of sweetness, but the starring amber is never overly sweet throughout. Projection and longevity are both outstanding.

Wow, this is one potent scent! The first time I applied it I put just the smallest dab on my arm and it projected like crazy. It is obvious that one spray of this guy is all you need. Apart from its crazy strength, the amber really is well-done and Amouage has paired it rather nicely with the frankincense and mild spices. My primary gripe with the composition is it is just a bit *too* strong, even in small doses making it somewhat difficult to wear anywhere so versatility is lacking. That said, if amber is your thing this one is well worth a sniff. In my case it is just too much, but Opus VI still earns a good to very good rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5. The best I have smelled of the lesser known Opus Series.

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Les Nombres d'Or - Vetyver by Mona di Orio

A very sophisticated interpretation of Vetiver, dry as a martini. I tend not to like a juicy fresh vetiver, but this is not at all like that.Vetiver plays a supporting role here. The ginger and citrus opening is bright and sparkling, yet dry This fragrance evokes an air of brooding or melancholia in me. One of Mona's best fragrances, the perfume world lost a talented woman when she died. This fragrance has moderate longevity and good sillage.

01st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2012)

ultimaterazorsedge's avatar
    ultimaterazorsedge

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I have to say, this is one of my top 3 colognes I own: the other two being Chrome Legend and Boss Bottled.

It is also one of the best I own longevity and projection wise. I put this on at 8am and can still smell it at 8pm. The only caveat is that if you put too much on, it will give you a strong headache.

Anytime I wear it, I receive compliments about it and am constantly asked what brand it is. Always. I'm dead serious. Have not worn this once without someone complimenting it and asking what im wearing.

Alot of reviewers on here say it is for a younger guy in their 20's. That could be true, because it is not a dark or heavy scent, but a very young and fresh scent. I am in my 20's and love it, but could easily see someone in their 30's and even an early charismatic 40's pulling this off.

Definitely worth the buy to me and I would recommend to anyone!

Projection: 10/10
    Longevity: 10/10
    Overall: 10/10

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Équipage by Hermès

Top: Aldehydes, orange, clary sage, nutmeg flower, bergamot, Brazilian rosewood
    Heart: Carnation, cinnamon, jasmine, lilly of the valley, pine tree needles
    Base: Tonka beans, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver

Équipage is a dressy fragrance for all seasons. On me, it is extra dry but I simply adore it (which is quite surprising considering I generally prefer sweet amber-based fragrances). Since Équipage contains carnation, vanilla, tonka beans and musk, I expected it to be much sweeter. However, in spite of its dryness, it is not too hard. At first, it is spicy and very smoky but as soon as the dry-down begins, the clove note (well, it is more likely the carnation) becomes slightly tamer and seems to blend with the cinnamon which makes the composition zesty and vibrant. The dark patchouli/oakmoss/vetiver notes also subdue into a rounder and richer earthy base while the smokiness becomes much more discreet.

When I first tried Équipage back in the early 80's, I was not impressed at all. I thought it was too "serious", too "daddy-like", in other words: not exciting enough. I was sure there was leather somewhere in the composition and I did not care for that note at all back then. I tried Équipage again lately and I was very pleasantly surprised. I think you have to be a little older to truly appreciate this unique fragrance. Now, I am a fan!

hickorysmoke's avatar
    hickorysmoke

Tattoo pour Homme by Michel Germain

Excellent blind buy at the discount store for $10. People have compared it to a low ball Pure Malt. Haven't smelled that one, but this one is really nice.

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Special No. 127 by Floris

On my skin I get orange and bergamot with lavender, rose and geranium developing later. It is very well made, pleasant, gentle and not at all sweet. Is wears close to my skin with poor sillage and is very inoffensive. My main problem is its poor longevity of about an hour only, which tilts it towards neutral. Otherwise is is a pleasant scent.

Erok32's avatar
    Erok32

HisStory by Avon

Synthetic but pleasant. I Smell vanilla, sandalwood, mint, and grass. I wear it casually and the the gym. I like it.