Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

verycharlie's avatar

Taormine by Keiko Mecheri

Very nice cologne type scent. Sweetish in just the right way, i.e.not too much, wonderfully sweet/bitter almond is the main player, with a strange hollow effect like the scent is whooshing up your nasal cavities through a metal tube (something I also get from Avignon) which I really like. Also bit salty, breezy. Doesn't last long, sillage ok. The slot in my wardrobe for this type of thing is already filled by Escale Portafino but I'd go for this next time if it wasn't quite so pricy because the almond here is so delicious and the scent is interesting, it triggers happy memories that I can't quite pin down.

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2012)

MapOfTheWoods's avatar

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

This was one of my first frags waaaay back in the day. In the early 90s, I received a gift box of this and some other odds and ends. Christmastime, snow, youth, winter with high school girlfriend, writing music... kind of brings me back. That's what this fragrance is for me these days. Does not quite smell like the things we're wearing anymore, but this crisp pine, winter morning still serves a wonderful purpose.
    When I first tried this, I may have been about 15 or 16. This was certainly a bit too "mature" for someone of my youthful exuberance. I was immediately drawn to the "conifer forest" aspect of it. That's what got me right away. This is a fragrance that hits you right off with a piney/juniper shocker. It seems to be the life of the thing. I do detect the bergamot and citrus now that my nose has matured, but it's not the focal point. As this dries down, it turns into a pine/juniper hybrid tree covered in aromatic mosses. I wore this every day in my teen years, getting compliments such as: "You smell like a pine tree", or "you smell like the woods"...
    If you can find it, get it.

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2012)

rbaker's avatar

White Suede by Tom Ford

A very nice leather/suede note starts off, a very nice note indeed. After an hour, though, it collapses and remains so close to my skin that I have to use an olfactory microscope to smell it. After two to three hours it is gone. Nice while it lasts.

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2012)

Possum-Pie's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Nothing really wrong with it, but it is too sweet for me. The vanilla and spices came through strong, and it was generic smelling. I couldn't find anything unique about it, and forgot what it smelled like 2 min. after I tried it on. I will stick to L Homme Libre...

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2013)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

This is a watered down version of the fragrance I remembered in college years ago. It isn't my style, but it smells clean and fresh. I know the feud with GIT, and to be honest, except for perfume connoisseurs, I have not met one person who could tell the difference between Cool Water and Git...$200 difference in price? Cool Water's Longevity is fair, 2 spritzs can last about 4 hours. but for $200 less, buy 2 bottles and an atomizer and reapply it during the day!

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 23rd February, 2013)

teardrop's avatar

England England

Alien Sunessence by Thierry Mugler

"Lemon Alien" ( as this was nicknamed by Evangeline) has a fizzy, effervescent opening, more reminiscent of lemon sherbet than real lemons, to my nose. This accord is quickly joined by the familiar solar jasmine of the original Alien, which is lighter here & much less enveloping. After an hour, l get more of an orangey note, & another hour later a sweet, woody amber. The sillage is good, & it lasts very well at around eight hours. A nice, playful version of Alien, much more suited to summer weather than the original.

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2013)

teardrop's avatar

England England

Alien Sunessence Or d'Ambre by Thierry Mugler

"Beach Alien" (as this was nicknamed by Evangeline) has a tart note of kiwi fruit in the opening, joined some minutes later by vanilla. lt is not really recognisable as related to Alien, although there are shades of Alien's woody white amber in the mid-phase. l don't get any jasmine, but after an hour there's a creamy orchid, & later on a powdery, sugary vanilla in the base. The sillage is good, & it lasts around eight hours on me.
    l'm giving this a neutral because it's too fruity for my personal taste, but the kiwi note is very authentic, & the orchid phase is very nice. lt's just too different to the original for me to really enjoy it as a summer version of Alien, but those who dislike Alien may love it.

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2013)

RHINORAY2's avatar

Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï

Spray it on your clothes and it will last for a week. I like this one. It has balls. Alone or layered it became addicting.

08th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

jujy54's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Treeman5823 writes "Chergui is the equivalent of sitting in a hot barn while smoking a cigar and baking a cherry pie" which is exactly what I love about it. Quieter on me than other Lutens.

MonkeyBars's avatar

Eau Illuminee by Delrae

This delicate green composition is marred by an overdose of a sweet, resinous green heart accord consisting primarily of whatever synthetics are also used in Tauer Perfumes' Verdant. That makes the first three hours distinctly unpleasant for me. I don't get a lot of the listed accords during this time. The drydown consists of cinnamon, coumarin and amber to my nose. Pleasant, but too little too late.

drseid's avatar

C for Men by Clive Christian

C for Men opens on skin with a transient hint of rose and jasmine before a rubbery petrol-like oud and leather base note tandem rises up and dominates the scent from the early heart there-on-out with the jasmine as background support. The scent is extremely linear and keeps the rubbery leather accord through the end. Projection is average, while longevity is excellent.

C for Men is a very nice leathery oud scent to be sure, but despite what appears to be a laundry list of ingredients, I confess I pretty much get jasmine, leather and oud with just the faintest rose, nothing more, nothing less. The scent is much more polite than you would think given its co-stars and the oud is only ever so slightly sweet from possibly the inclusion of tonka bean and amber in the composition. That said, there really isn't a lot of complexity here and at the absolutely scandalous price C for Men is being hawked I expected more than what it delivered. C for Men gets a very good 3.5 stars out of 5 for the scent, but if you are looking for a relatively pleasant leather scent you can find any number of strong candidates available for a quarter of the price of C for Men. Skip this puppy unless money is burning a hole in your pocket.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme Living Stromboli by Dolce & Gabbana

Very impressive designer fragrance. I have only worn it once, but enjoyed it from start to finish. In a nutshell, I get a barber shop scent, reminiscent of Rive Gauche, but much more fresh. A noticeable rosemary note which isn't listed here on BN. I like it a lot.

cello's avatar

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Racquets Formula is possibly the perfect "sport" fragrance out there, as it holds it's head high and keeps the standards up front and honest.

This one is all soapy, slightly powdery and is somewhat formal smelling. But it retains a freshness throughout. The citrus opening is dusted with lavender, and smells clean and cool. There is a spiciness from the geranium that adds a punch to this. It is wonderful and refreshing.

The transition to midnotes is smooth, as a powdery aspect comes in, but it is not feminine powdery, just something to add interest. A green mustiness creeps in, mossy but still spicy. This is the wonderful vetiver and incense combo that blends all of this together. Fantastic drydown!

Classic, Penhaligon in nature (meaning it will not punch you in the face - this is not boxing sport!). A great sport fragrance that adds interest all the way through.

Unisex, leaning masculine. But I would wear this and not blink an eye :)

cello's avatar

Mimosaïque by Nicolaï

Oh, this one has such potential, but just does not deliver in the long run.
    It opens with an airy, faintly fruity floral, and it is ever so slightly powdery. But the whole experience is one of a greenish skin scent - not tart and not overdone. But also, not really establishing itself.
    There is iris in here, contributing to the hint of powder and also controlling the white floral aspect to keep it in line.
    This does not last long, and is not throwing all these lovely notes out there. But it does what it does very well. Reapply at will and you will find a very nice perfume. It has it's charms, even if spoken quietly and softly.

Miss Boucheron by Boucheron

I know there are people who peruse these reviews in hopes of finding a forgotten designer cheapie that smells more like a niche gem. Miss Boucheron is my nomination for that prize.

As Ubu pointed out, this was a collaboration between Dominique Ropion (Portrait Of A Lady, Carnal Flower) and Anne Flipo (Iris Pallida and a bunch of other good L'Artisans), so it's definitely got a pedigree.

So what does it smell like? It's a really deep, almost gothic smell. On me, the star of the show is a sawdusty, lightly toasted oak note (one that's familiar to me from a few of the woody L'Artisans, including Timbuktu). It's topped with red fruits (nothing stupid - it's more like a dark pomegranate with boozy undertones). The whole wood smell is burnished with a waxy smell that confused me until I recognized it as a subtle take on that animalic wax note from Ropion's Un Fleur De Cassie.

This waxy deep red-hued oak is underlain with a deep jammy floral smell that reminds me a lot of the rose/patchouli/sandalwood/fruit mix from Portrait Of A Lady. The end result of all this is a smell that reminds me of an oak wine barrel, burnt on the inside and filled with the jammy dark dregs of a very deep red wine. That being said, it's also pretty much what you'd get if you replaced the upfront pepper in Noir Epices or Parfum Sacre with oak. Over the day, a carnation-ish clove note peeks out, having been hidden somewhere deep in that POAL jammy rose wine smell. This gives the impression of a wine barrel stuffed with carnations (nice!). Also, the oak settles a bit eventually and makes more room for the sandalwood, resulting in a smell reminiscent of Santal Noble's sawdusry sandalwood giving a creamy richness to the carnation-infused wine dregs.

If I had to compare this to anything, I'd say Ginestet's cult-favorite Le Boise, though Miss Boucheron is stronger, deeper, and better crafted than Le Boise (though Boise wins the bottle-cuteness award...). All in all, as you can tell, I'm quite impressed. Miss Boucheron clearly contains the DNA for a lot of what Roipion would do with Malle, and aside from that, feels like some of the better work Duchoufour has done for L'Artisan. And it's all over the discounters for cheap!

jacobcgi's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce for men by abercrombie is a great complement puller for night occasions. Longevity is disappointing, and especially struggles in warmer weather. That said, this is a great scent for high schoolers.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

This one is very different and interesting at first, but there is something plasticky (aldehydes?) that is unpleasant to me.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This fragrance is nice, pleasant, inoffensive, a bit different and interesting, but not remarkable. Do I detect Lilly Of The Valley somewhere in the mix? It avoids the trap of the sickening sweetness that every other fragrance of the day seems to be falling into.

I Love New York for Earth Day by Bond No. 9

Despite the marketing and the green bottle, Earth Day is anything but a green scent. It's actually a huge, opulent floral in the vein of Giorgio Beverly Hills, an explosion of deeply indolic, buttery tuberose over other flowers and soapy musks. I'm usually a bit apprehensive about wearing loud tuberose perfumes, but Earth Day is so indolic and buttery that it almost smells more like flowery, animalic, indolic butter than tuberose, so I actually quite enjoyed it. That being said, you'd have to be extremely confident about florals or a serious Bond fanatic to think this could pass for "masculine".

Unfortunately, after a few hours, when the tuberose and indoles died down, it left a pretty sad mix of fake-smelling rose and that strawberry shampoo smell Bond has been using so much lately, all over a big cloud of white soap. At this point, the loudness of Earth Day stopped feeling opulent and started feeling cheap. That being said, a subtle vanilla sandalwood eventually came in, giving a creamy richness to the basenotes that, while it never reached the depth of a good Chanel, was enough to rescue Earth Day from its lame heartnotes.

I'm teetering between a thumbs-up and a neutral, but I'll go thumbs-up because I'm happy that this isn't another silly fruity floral or smell-alike aquatic and I want to encourage Bond to keep stepping outside their comfort zone. But enough with that fake strawberry already!!!

Obsession by Calvin Klein

I fell in love with this when I was 14 or 15 years old. My tastes have changed considerably since then and many favorites of that era have fallen by the wayside, but this is one of the few fragrances that I still wear decades later. I tend to only wear it in cooler weather, however, since it is a "warm" scent. It can be to heavy if sprayed to generously, so I'm always conservative with the amount I use. It's funny, I love orange blossom and jasmine, but I don't really consciously detect either of those notes. There seems to be a ghost of vanilla in there somewhere, but it's not listed and if you really search for it, you can't detect it, like a false memory, (certainly not like the distinct vanilla in Hypnotic Poison). Not a trace of sweetness like in most of today's fragrances, thank goodness! Too bad the ethos of the fragrance industry has changed so drastically....it's a cliche, but "they don't make 'em like this anymore."

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

This reminds me quite a bit of Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, but with that Mure Et Musk blackberry note over it.

L'Ombre is kind of a divisive scent - the combination of grapefruit, tomato leaf, and rose makes for a fantastic fusion of wet green leaves and floral depth, but the urine undertones of the grapefruit and the bile facets of the tomato leaf combine to form a big slug of ugliness beneath all the prettiness, which is either unwearable or part of L'Ombre's brilliance, depending on who you ask. Surprisingly, for a play-it-safe house like Jo Malone, Grapefruit & Bay leaves that same questionable gross mix in.

That being said, it's a great combination. The blackberry (made to sparkle just a bit with some well-placed aldehydes) sits perfectly atop the wet green leafy notes, as well as the funk. The real magic happens later, though, when the vetiver starts to come in. Somehow, the vetiver fuses with the gross aspects of the tomato leaf in a way that doesn't cover them up, but compliments them, turning the funk into a dark grassiness. Meanwhile, whoever thought that blackberry and vetiver could smell this good together deserves some sort of an award. Though, I should warn that, by the time the vetiver really gets prominent, this perfume has become very weak (it's a Jo Malone, so that's to be expected).

As for the rating, it's fantastic but gross, and dries down to fantastic. I kind of want to give a neutral rating, but I'll go with thumbs up because, seriously, that blackberry/vetiver/tomato leaf combination that comes in later really is great.

kassana's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Long time site enthusiast and I generally lurk the fragrance directory getting tips and buying loads of fragrances recommended by people on this site.

I've never been compelled to write a review. Until now. I bought this via a friend for very cheap. Read a few things on it and thought I can't go wrong with what i paid for it.

Anyway, it's one of the most unique powerhouse of smells in the history of commercial mass produced fragrances. Openings of sweet dates and spices is overpowering. The dry down is the best, it's smells like leather and roses infused with a real raw masculinity.

Honestly,this is the stuff.

Bluelrry's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

It's a classic scent and brings back a lot of memories of my dad in the bathroom dabbing it on before he leaves for work. I used to sneak in and take whiffs straight from the bottle. I hated it, it was harsh and felt like my nose was burning though the scent trail was nice. I thought that was the epitome of smelling like a man...too bad I didn't like it and for years went the opposite direction of fresh scents. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I like powdery scents, it has a barbershop quality to it,

Now that I'm older and have slowly edge more to deeper scents, I've decided to try brut again just for nostalgic reasons. I still have the same feelings for it, harsh and just plain BRUTal to my nose. I bought the bottle anyways (aftershave) so I can wear it when I want to reminiscent of the past. I am an old spice guy but Brut will always remain special to me because of it's association to my dad, though he now wears polo black, Brut will always be his fragrance.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Bergamote / Divine Bergamote by The Different Company

A fizzy bergamot opening you can almost chew on, but before you have time to swallow the thing shrinks to a postage stamp-sized rosey musk of no distinction.

heavenscent1's avatar

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

I got a sample of this with a mixed lot from ebay and really like it. Have been wearing it to work every day. I like the soft orange top notes and how it blend into the patchouli. It feels luxurious and rich to me and I can't stop sniffing myself when I have it on. FBW for me.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire

A surprisingly lively take on the citrus cologne theme! Lemon rind and mint in a green, chilly, and ( obviously ) fresh blast with a distinct green accord holding it together.

It reminds me a bit of the mint lemonade popular in Egypt. And, given how abruptly cooling this scent smells, I wish I'd had Yuzu Fou there!

crono38's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I went to a macy's to test this fragrence. The female SA thought it humorous that I (guy) would want to try on this perfume. But nonetheless let me try.

The perfume starts out herbally, nothing special and drys down into something I though was a herbal musk which was alright if you like this. Try it before you buy.

Scent-5
    Sillage 5

barclaydetolly's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The biggest note I get out of Chergui is powder, which I usually hate. But here it seems to work because of all the other notes that support it -- not all that sweet, to me, but vaguely spicy and tobacco-y. This is a great scent. One last thing: I find Chergui does not work well with only a spritz or two, and blossoms only when I use a few more sprays than I usually do. It doesn't get overly cloying on me when that happens.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

A big, boozy (rum), woody (cedar) vanilla. While the vanilla of Le Labo’s Vanille 44, likewise released in 2007, is painted watercolour-thin and matched in weight with gaïac, Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a single accord stacked very high, a sort of vanilla Tower of Babel, with competing notes of red berries, sawdust, tobacco, treacle, and green olives (strange but true). Heady stuff.

's avatar

Acquiilssssima by Hilde Soliani Profumi

This is very similar to Acqua di Sale. A bit lighter than AdS, but in all honesty probably the better choice because it smells so similar and doesn't cost 250$ for a bottle. The seaweed is the dominant note here. I'm no fragrance cognoscente, but I don't get jasmie or tea. I do get the seaweed and what smells like a synthetic aldehyde mix, but it's pretty light. But then again I also spilled my sample upon first wearing so I won't get a chance to sample this again. It's a very nice fragrance, though.