Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

psychoskip's avatar

Republic of Men by Banana Republic

I enjoyed this fragrance, as well did my girlfriend. I sampled nearly all the BR scents available, and this is the only one I would consider bringing home. A mature, masculine scent. Seems suitable more for formal wear and cold weather. Price tag is fairly cheap $45 for 1.7oz (50ml). It can be found in 1oz (30ml) bottles for a reasonable price as well. It's not a staple, but a decent addition to any collection.

Possum-Pie's avatar

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

There is nothing wrong with this fragrance, it starts off Bergamot pepper, some green notes. It dries down to a spicy warmth. I never detected the amber, sandalwood balsam unfortunately. It just didn't float my boat. Nothing wrong, just sort of generic. Longevity on me 5 hours, but projection only fair.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Laguna Maravilla by Salvador Dali

I'm in lust - this is the aquatic oriental I've been searching for - now I have a big bottle, I'm not letting go.

Beautifully gentle bursts of citrus & lily combine seamlessly with subtle vanilla, sandalwood and amber- and settles with the sandalwood, on my skin, anyway - there's no overwhelming top note here to my nose, they meld together deliciously with no one note competing for top place. And the result is light, fresh, clean, warm and comforting. I can visualise a beautiful blue deserted lagoon here and long warm swims in an everlasting holiday....

frogsnsnails's avatar

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is a naughty girl that needs to be spanked for being gorgeously sexy. It rides on the rim of being raunchy while refined at the same time but after a while reins itself back in and stays refined and remains a slightly dirty musk. Such a well blended mix. I absolutely adore this fragrance, and it is definitely FB worthy. I don't think I needed to sample this beforehand; I could've bought this unsniffed---it's that good. Be prepared to be up to no good with this one.

surge's avatar

Golden Boy by Dueto Parfums

Just got my sample today -- I really like it.
    It reminds me of Tuscan Leather but with violet (think chez bond or fahrenheit).
    Interesting combination to say the least.
    Considering the price, two thumbs way up.
    Good buy, definitely.

mjf2001's avatar

Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga

A dark hypnotic floral/fruit mystery that continued to unfold on my skin for hours, opening to a smoky, wood/incense accord with a strange coppery note running through it the whole time. I enjoyed it and found it complex, intriguing, most definitely unisex, especially in its black heart. Will purchase for sure. This is no Justin Bieber... Don't count this one as just another celebrity fragrance. It's the real deal!

09 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2012)

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I remember testing this and liking it when it was first introduced. I recently tried it again when I was shopping and I decided I had to have a bottle. It's just a wonderful, warm scent without the overbearing sickly-sweetness that most new scents seems to have now. The longevity of this fragrance is AMAZING. In spite of the rumors this has been reformulated & watered-down, I could still smell this on my arm the following day. This scent seems to improve as it wears down on my skin, which I can't say for most fragrances. The fragrance is powerful, though, so you definitely don't want to douse yourself in it and as such it's probably best suited for cooler months of the year. So, this has definitely become one of my new favorite cool-weather scents.

09 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)

Swanky's avatar

Pheromone for Men by Marilyn Miglin

I like this fragrance and I don't find it as offputting nor harsh as some do. It may not be quite lovely but it's in the ballpark. The florals are nicely handled and the green and herbal character meshes well with them. A definite throwback not only to emphatic masculines such as Van Cleef & Arpels (without their eye-watering strength) but also to classic chypres such as Royal Secret and Aromatics Elixir on the distaff side.

09 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2012)

MapOfTheWoods's avatar

Clean Men by Clean

Meh... I like frags that really stand out. This stands out as completely inoffensive, a bit ho-hum, and safe. I use this just about every other day for no other reason than to have a little mist after a shower. After that, it goes away instantly and I can then spray on something better. Clean products are sickeningly overpriced, and not all of them smell good to me.

I have had to revise this as I now realize that I wear this fragrance more than any other scent I own. I get quite a few compliments when I wear it, and it does have some staying power after all.

This is a fresh blast of grapefruit and lemon. It dries down into a deodorant-y thing, smelling like soap and fresh burst antiperspirant. The musk is there, and it does not ever come off as feminine to me.

Here's a neat trick: I bought the shower gel and the edt spray. I also have the edp (which smells the same, only heavier on the floral), and I use them all at the same time. When you give yourself the full work-up, the magic happens. Longevity, projection, sillage. It's all there. I seriously smell good. It becomes something special. Use the shower gel, follow up with a few dabs of the edp, then give yourself the normal sprays of the edt. You've got it. That's what this was meant to be. It's unfortunate that it requires this much work to coax the life out of a fragrance, but with this, so be it. It's nice and I dig it.

Anymore I don't wear this every single day. But when I do, it's more often than my most beloved niche scents.

Clean Men... like another reviewer mentioned, we have no idea when this will be completely gone, so I've stocked up while I can.

When this is gone I will miss the compliments of: "You smell like Sweet Tarts!"

09 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2013)

surge's avatar

City Love by Dueto Parfums

Very awesome rose and oud frag.
    Similar to Bond's NY Oud I think.
    Another great scent from this house -- I am really liking all of these!

Oviatt's avatar

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane

A fresh, aromatic take on citrus and anise, this is a very pleasant scent to wear--with all of the edible notes (grapefruit, Anise, fig, tea, tarragon, etc.) this could have been a gourmand/foodie scent, but it isn't--it is like a lighter, simpler version of Azzaro Pour Homme or Cartier Must for Men. Very nice in warm weather, this smells completely natural to me and is a good offering from this house. The "storyteller/Senechal/Grail" reference is a bit obscure as the word badian in the name simply refers to star anise, but whatever the inspiration, this is a likeable, pleasant scent.

drseid's avatar

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

Mark Birley opens with a beautiful slightly sparkly lemon and bergamot tandem. The lemon remains into the heart notes, but becomes increasingly creamy and slightly powdery as the citric sparkle at the open disappears. Underneath the lemon remnants lies a very nice violet note that adds some real differentiation from your typical citrus scents, underpinned by base notes of clean vetiver, sandalwood and light musk. Projection is below average and longevity is poor.

Mark Birley is quite the pleasant surprise. It is very light and subtle, while the slight powdery lemon is quite captivating and distinctively different from most citrus scents. There is a slightly off-putting almost ammonia-like undertone beneath the powdery lemon heart notes that could scare away some, but it really is not unpleasant at all and is certainly not the focus of the scent while successfully keeping one guessing as to its origin. Even though the base has a hint of sandalwood in it, the scent never is sweet, instead using the also present vetiver to convey a bit of slight earthiness to the composition. To close, with names like Bourdon and Malle associated with Mark Birley for Men, greatness is to be expected and in this release it is nearly achieved. The excellent smelling Mark Birley for Men earns a strong 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 rating and an easy buy recommendation.

Oviatt's avatar

Infini by Caron

As modern as a wrap around dress, this sparkling, smokey floral is amazing. Full of contradictions this is hot and cold, feminine and masculine, heavy and yet light. This is a gorgeous offering from Caron and the angular perfume bottle perfectly captures the time that it came out. This is occasionally criticized as being "perfumey"--whatever that means--and so it should; it comes from one of the great French perfume houses when they were at the top of their game. Women of the world--buy and wear this! It is 70s French chic in a bottle!

Guibo's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

This is the first Amouage fragrance that I have sampled and truly disliked.

To my admittedly uneducated nose the opening was overwhelmingly soapy with a hint of floral. I did not perceive it to be overly feminine like many reviewers have, but there is nothing masculine in it whatsoever. After about two hours I started smelling baby powder very strongly. After two more hours (4 total) this smells like a mixture of baby powder and a bar of perfumed soap from Wal-Mart. I can't wait to get it off of me. I hate baby powder. There is nothing about this scent I can recommend as it could be simulated with liquid soap and baby wipes for about $10. I am mortified that anyone would intentionally add this scent to their body.

This is a sample from LuckyScent acquired in July 2012 so I trust it is authentic and fairly recent. I can not comment on any vintage versions as I have not sampled them.

Guibo's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Finally a "Sport" scent that earns the modifier "Extreme". This juice is powerful and eternally long lasting. If only I liked it more...

I normally tend to avoid this style of fragrance, but I received a sample of this when I ordered a bottle of Coromandel from the Chanel website.

I am giving it a neutral rating because I do not care for the fragrance itself. I feel driven to comment on it based on it's strength and tenacity alone. I spent over 26 hours out of a 48 hour period working (and sweating profusely) in a hot environment this July and could still smell this on my wrist. I don't think I have sampled any fragrance that endured so much sweat and heat while remaining detectable.

Fragrances that I sample seriously have to go through a sweat cycle at work whether they are appropriate for hot environments or not. I simply want to know what to expect when things heat up.

One would expect a "Sport" fragrance to deal well with heat and sweat. Two days of sweat (in 35C and over environments) is more that I expect from anything. Sure the sillage was non existent at that point, but I could still smell it over my own unwashed stink. Color me impressed.

As for the scent's actual aroma, it is just not my cup of tea. The notes look pleasant enough on paper, yet the reality does not deliver what I want from a fragrance. At best I would describe it as mildly pleasant but boring.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Kanøn by Kanon

My first impresion was that it was clone of Ziizanie, which I love, but immediately turned into Avon Wild Country, which I abhorr, then it went to a Pierre Cardin/Lagerfeld classic stage, both of them I dislike, but whiffs of Zizanie were reaching my nostril often in an intermitently fashion. Do I like this perfume?, I should say no, regarless on my big appreciation of Zizanie, the Wild country/Lagerfeld/Pierre Cardin resemblance was too much and honestly, it is too hard for me to wear this cologne.

Jody's avatar

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

I sprayed this today on a whim. I love the notes ( but am not sure of orris ) so maybe the orris is what makes it a negative for me. It smells like any other department store fragrance ( this is only my opinion ) on me.

Dolly Girl Ooh La Love by Anna Sui

I have to admit, I bought this fragrance and the original Dolly Girl fragrance, for their adorable mannequin-head bottles. Having said that, I have worn both fragrances from time to time, and I have to say I prefer this scent to the original. The original scent is a bit too sweet for my taste, however this one is drier, a bit spicy and more wearable to me.

Dolly Girl by Anna Sui

I bought this fragrance as well as its follow-up "Ooh La Love" because of the cute bottles, so I didn't really care what they smelled like. Having said that, this fragrance isn't terrible, it's just not remarkable. A bit too sweet for me; I prefer the less-sweet "Ooh La Love" for that reason.

barclaydetolly's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

What a beautiful scent. This isn't all that complex; it's not going to bowl anyone over; it's not likely to be anyone's favorite; and women won't swoon. But it smells damn good, and that's its merry job. Very safe, very nice cologne. I can't think of a better work scent for most people.

schwrtz5's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I mainly smell chocolate. I like chocolate. Do I want to give off this aroma? No.

yumcheesy's avatar

Estée by Estée Lauder

WORST bug spray smelling perfume I've ever had to suffer thru :-( For years my mother would wear this, it always made me sneeze and give me headaches- now whenever I smell it I immediately get sick to my stomach. It's horrible!!

yumcheesy's avatar

Eternity by Calvin Klein

I won a bottle of this- it smells ok but when I sprayed it, it was like bug spray and I couldn't wash it off fast enough! It's super strong and kind of like a floor cleaner, maybe? Yuck.

Francolino's avatar

Encounter by Calvin Klein

nothing particularly exciting, duration seems to be limited, sillage pretty good, can't say it's bad!

synthetic's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Used to bathe in this scent.
    Instantly recognizable and one of the few "Fresh" frags I can say I like.
    Opens with a synthetic blast of Lavender, Grapefruit, Bergamot and a cacophony of other notes. I can get the "Rain" notes and I think they are done well.
    The heart and base amp up the spice and an Apple note pokes it's head into the mix.
    Tommy is advertised as an Americana fragrance and I really do get that vibe from it.
    On my skin this projects well for the first 4 hours and lasts 6-8 hours total, but due to it's recognizable nature people will know it.

exciter76's avatar

Very Sexy Now by Victoria's Secret

I picked up a large body spray of this fragrance when it came out. Five years later I’m still trying to get through the large bottle. It’s nice and fruity, casual and cute, strong and SWEET. If I could highlight, underline, italicize and make bold the word ‘sweet’ I would. Did I mention it’s sweet? It’s cavity-inducing sweetness. But like any sugary confection it can be a welcomed treat once in a while.

I’ve tried a few fragrances claiming to have litchi in them but I’d be hard-pressed to find the litchi. Here, the litchi jelly scent hits my nose immediately, followed by a hard candy-like pear, and finished off with a subdued orchid. There are a few other elements but they’re superfluous. Specifically, this is not just any kind of sugary confection; this is a litchi-and-pear cluster of mini jelly cups, the ones that are so prevalent in Asian markets. VSN07 is a pretty fabulous fragrance to have if those little cups are a guilty pleasure and litchi is a must.

I like those little fruit jelly cups. I even indulge and enjoy a few every once in a while. However, I don’t think I could eat them every day. Just like the little cups, I don’t think I could wear VSN07 every day but I am glad I have it so I can treat myself occasionally.

masj78's avatar

Blue Stratos by Parfums Bleu

I always go back to this one now and again as it evokes fond memorys of my younger days as back then in the 80s it was a staple of my dads. I assumed it had been discontinued until coming accross it in a small village pharmacy a few years ago. Soon after I found the entire range is pretty much sold online. Not seen it much in shops. I agree its somewhere between Brut and Old spice, but the vanilla stands it apart from the 2. I find it very fresh, uncomplicated and clean smelling.

tymanski's avatar

Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur

i'm completely in accord with andregooren. this is the work of genius, the most inneresting and groovalicious vanilla-centered frag i have (& have plenty!)
    duchaufour (along with jce) is the master of said 'weightlessness', and to achieve this with these traditionally heavy notes (and yes there is indeed a smidge of immortelle; well-spotted!) is inspired.
    chalk up another 5-star scent to duchaufour

Giustino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Kenzo Homme Sport by Kenzo

Got a sample, and bought it days after using the sample.. Fresh but woody spicy sport fragrance.. different from the other 'sport' type fragrances.. Good one Kenzo!

bFlay's avatar

Pontaccio 21 by Gianfranco Ferré

Classic and Old School! I've wanted a scent that took me back to the early 80s frags my dad and uncles wore. This is it, PONTACCIO 21. Lime and deep tea infused with rich spices that collectively evoke the smells of a Morrocan bazaar. Opens slightly sharp and soapy before settling in to those great gourmand spices and a woody patchouli base. This is the comforting smell of mature men. Lasts 6+ hours on skin/clothes together.