Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Beauxbatons13's avatar

No Regrets by Alexandra de Markoff

I received my bottle of No Regrets, as a graduation gift from Jujy <3 and I put it on immediately! One sniff and it was LOVE, The reviews saying it's sweet do not lie, and it opens with overripe peach,citrus, and berries. There's a green feeling to the opening notes. As it gets to the middle, it turns floral which lasts for a really long time, before finally surrendering to the woods. No Regrets I find is pretty unisex [except for the gorgeous bottle with gold writing] On the packaging my younger brother thought it was a bottle of liquor on my dresser, I think the bottle is beautiful, square with a gold cap, the liquid is honey colored, and there are all sorts of super beautiful quotes about love covering the bottle with 'No Regrets' emblazoned in the center of the front in the gold font. My favorite quote on the bottle "living well is the best revenge" As I said before it's pretty unisex, and a few guys I've been around said they'd totally wear it if it wasn't for the girly bottle [poor excuse but eh. I've a different mindset than most people my age about gender] It lasts for hours on me and I love it, oh so light and refreshing.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Coco Noir by Chanel

okay, first impressions on COCO NOIR: no harsh jasmine-notes here. mmm i do get a velvety soft sexy incensy musky rose - not fresh cut one, or strong roses. All is just so well blended in NOIR. A very modern kind of Coco. You know in that way like "shalimar Parfum Initial" was for the original shalimar? More *today* and easy to love. I do want this bottle :) i know now after the scent has settled.

Profumo Mercurio by Ai Monasteri

This is in two phases. The first is powerful and rather sweet. A brief citrus opening (possibly bergamot?) gives way to a floral-spicy chord. I have no idea what the flowers are, I suspect pepper and cloves are among the spices. The second phase is a much drier cedarwood note, with some spices in the background. The first phase is brief, the second has very good longevity (several hours). If you like dry wood then you'll like this. Simple, but satisfying.

drseid's avatar

Dunhill by Dunhill

Dunhill opens with a very synthetic smelling faux lemon, lavender and geranium combo before adding in a very generic blend of cedar in the scent's heart, sweetened by base notes of tonka bean, artificial sandalwood and musk. The scent is quite linear in nature with the artificial lemon, lavender, geranium and tonka bean remaining for most of the entire duration. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Wow, this one is just a complete disappointment. I am one of the few on Basenotes that does not mind many of the Dunhill scents, but this one is so completely generic, cheap smelling, mundane and unoriginal that you may as well put a label "Exceptional for Men" on the bottle and call it a day. For those that are not familiar with "Exceptional" I can only recommend that you do *not* seek it out as it is anything but... and likewise for this "me too" release from Dunhill. On the plus side for bottle collectors, I love the container the juice comes in; I just wish the scent was as good smelling as its well-designed housing. Dunhill gets a below average 2 stars out of 5 and an "avoid" recommendation unless you just want the great bottle.

Lime Aftershave Cologne by Colonel Ichabod Conk

A pleasant scent, in the citrus-green-generic style. It lasts about 10 seconds. Thumbs down for its brevity.

psychoskip's avatar

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

Solid fresh summer scent. Call me silly, but I wear this to the gym. Strong lemon/citrus opening. Hardly any sillage, but for this scent, it doesn't seem to take away from how great it smells.

OctoberAmy's avatar

Lovestruck by Vera Wang

This is just lovely. Very well blended and smooth. I don't find it significantly different from Princess, though. I have Princess already and it's one of my favorites, so I probably won't buy this because it's so similar. (I have the sample.)

10th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2012)

Mujana's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Interlude Man by Amouage

First opninion (I cannot call it a review), on this scent. And first post ever from me on basenotes. Happy to be here (have been reading a lot).
    After many scents from Serge Lutens / Creed / Amouage (Jubilation XXV) , others ánd Amouage Gold last year, I find this Amouage Interlude Man absolutely stunning!
    I did like Gold in the beginning (but after some time it became a bit boring and too flowery for me). I needed to get used to Jubilation XXV and after some time it smelled very nice...but...ehm (how to say this?)...a bit average and not too outspoken on my skin. But then there was Interlude! Very good silage and longevity that lasts untill next morning! At this moment it is the best fragrance I ever used.Two to 3 puffs of this is enough to smell it all day...and the changes it goes through...absolute masterpiece! Yes, it starts out very loud and disturbing, but also very loveable and nice at the same time.
    Top/heart and base..everything seems to be in balance and there 's a natural flow from top to middle to base. At the same time every part is so different! How did Negrin do this??
    In my first posting here on Basenotes I can only say, that I'm really overwhelmed by this Amouage...in a very positive way...really a piece of Art!

10th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Crave by Calvin Klein

was great, didn't like the plastic bottle, though

10th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2014)

colormechris's avatar

Aqua Velva New Musk by Williams

I was a total Aqua Velva snob once. To me, this and Brut were the equivalent of a knuckle dragging mouth breather in a pleather burgundy jacket. Knuckle dragging mouth breathers do have their charms, but you'd never take one seriously outside of a birthday suit party. So imagine my surprise when one day I found myself in CVS sampling the neon bottles of this brand. I don't remember the others, but the musk took me by surprise and it was so doggone cheap I bought it immediately. The more I wore it, the more I liked it. It's a sweet musk, bordering on girlish. But so what? It's really pleasant. Shamu's take on this juice is a bullseye. It's great for layering and a great stand alone.
    You know what it reminds me of? The little curio shops in Boston's Chinatown. One in particular. It smells exactly like it. Maybe that's what attracted me to the scent. It's mysterious, contemplative and a little sad...it takes me back to a time when I was beyond melancholy, shopping for Christmas gifts the day after Christmas; the ancient floorboards squeaking as I bought Asian novelties for everyone. A pretty, silent woman behind the counter, pretending not to watch me. Looking down at her Mao shoes whenever I glanced at her.

synthetic's avatar

The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

Because the original wasn't weak enough.
    Not bad, just painfully boring.

hollyc's avatar

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

I have to review this even though I'm not good at picking out notes. A lovely SA sent it unbidden with a sample of M/Mink that I had asked for. Bal D'Afrique seemed nice enough at first and then over about an hour became totally intoxicating. Don't usually like cedar and was surprised to find it in this, but here is what I get from it. First spritz is warm, candied lemon custard, then coconut, then tropical florals, then beautiful muskiness. The whole is much greater than its parts. There is also a faint hint of saltiness about it too. Overall, a beautiful composition that changes from hour to hour. Restrained sillage, in fact I feared it might pull a disappearing act at first, but it actually gained strength over time. I totally love this and will be buying the 100 ml ASAP even at the high price, this beauty is really worth it. Better I think on fabric than skin.

scentimus's avatar

Oxford Street by Hugh Parsons

Love this scent it truly reflects the glowing crimson bottle it is contained in. The citrus top is lightly dusted with anais which fades into a deep semi sweet resinous feelin of cinnamon and saffron. The base bring a deep almost medicine feeling of oud wood providing a oily rich cherry cough syrup warmth. The scent lingers a long time with just the correct amount of sillage. Love this to pieces. Wear it in good health in the autumn months.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Declaration is proof that fragrance homes can produce quality perfumes. Voyage d'Hermes smells identical to this. However there are a couple of problems I have with the EDT version of Voyage.. Longevity is #1 & then it does not project much. Declaration on the other hand has very good projection & longevity.

It can be worn spring, summer, & fall in my opinion. That is where this fragrance really shines. Ginger, spices & citruses make a nice masculine quality scent. I would without a shadow of a doubt take this over Voyage d'Hermes.. Not saying that it is a bad scent, but compared to this it is not worthy. Cartier makes some of the best colognes in the world. If you have not tried this than stop messing around & get to it! ENJOY!

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Dempsey II by Patrick Dempsey

Strong mandarin and fig in a nice woody backcround slightly spiced up that turns kinda inciency towards the end, but ever so slightly. A very nice perfume that is also very affordable. Unfortunately that is all, nothing that separate this scent from the rest, I would like to give it a thumbs up, but I feel it fells a little short of that mark.
    I enjoy it a lot regardless,

hickorysmoke's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

Just boring, blah, even if you get it at the discount store I'm not sure anyone would wear this one much. The florals and bit of citrus remind me of a room deodorizer spray. I didn't get the tobacco at all. On my skin it stayed with the floral/lemon scent.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

To think the 80s can be retrained...this is GFfM's raison d'etre. I like the fact that it is an all rounder. I admit I did not love it when I was discovering 80s scents, so I sold it. What a mistake. In the world of non fragrance people, most 80s scents are just too strong for their untrained noses to appreciate; this on the other hand does the trick. It's classic sophistication of smoky, spicy-herbal leathery jus. Great for fall.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Violetta de Bosco by I Profumi di Firenze

Beautiful and real violet scent composition; not too sweet or too flowery; just right...!

Great longevity and silage.

noorderloos's avatar

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Cologne by Jo Malone

i really loved the opening , so much i almost purchased the bottle instantly , on me it wasn t sweet at all rather green fresh and soapy
    unfortunately after 15 min or even less all this splendor is gone and not much remains but an average headache smell
    happy i could restrain myself

's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

One of the best fragrances ever, but unwearable for me. I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else, but only for a couple of seconds from time to time. Otherwise if I try to wear it myself, I am left with a heavy smell of diluted cherry syrup, super sweet cherry brandy and tons of dusty amber for hours. All of 'Empires' last for ages (more than 10 hours I swear). Parfum d'Empire is an amazing brand and all of their scents are truly mind-boggling at first, but then they rapidly get less interesting for some reason. I have scored quite a few samples, such as Aziyade, Osmanthus Interdite, 3 Fleurs, Fougere Bengale, etc. And I always go through the same process: I would fall in love with the fragrance, wear it two or three times, but then never buy a full bottle. Maybe their scents are too perfect. Maybe I am not ready for they breathtaking beauty. If you happen to like the likes of Ambre 114 or Ambre Precieux, do sample this one, it really is a masterpiece.

dollars&scents's avatar

Norne by Slumberhouse

Norne by Slumberhouse - Upon application, one is treated to a stand of black hemlocks. The scent of pine needles, pine sap and pine bark creates a coniferous delight. The smoky and sweetly charred-wood facets of clove waft about creating the illusion of a distant campfire somewhere. Transitioning, a resinous, camphor aura comes into its own reminding of crushed-pine needles. Crestworts supply an aromatic mustiness, while champignon contributes its mouldy, mushroom aspects. Moss and lichen, with their dank and earthy character, completes the forest undergrowth mirage. The foresty pines segue to the base where a colophony incense sprinkles its splendid, aromatic, pine resin and smokiness. while a joyful woodiness from pepper flutters about. A spiritual element is added to the outdoorsy pine. A pleasing drydown ensues. This masculine, nature-loving composition has very good projection and longevity.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Jeux de Peau by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is awful, truly awful. Like the über strong, sickeningly fake gingerbread accord in some Holiday scented candle. Others say buttered popcorn and it might be that too - only, I'd add, definitely caramel-flavoured ones. After reading the list of notes I definitely feel the bread (very plasticky cheap "freshly baked bread" accord), licorice and immortelle, and it's not a good combo.

Jasonk931's avatar

Polo Blue Sport by Ralph Lauren

I thought after reading many reviews of this frag that I had made the wrong purchase??? I was wrong! Yes, this has a standard House of Ralph vibe, but it's nice to my nose. This is not a winter scent by any means in my opinion, but spring and summer this fragrance bridges the gap nicely between a young college student to an older genteman. I was glad to see the drydown notes were driven by amber and patchouli as I am a patchouli lover, but it's so subtle and peeks out only occasionally.
    Having said all that, I must say this is not a world changer, and it definitely has a Polo Sport vibe throughout, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Initial Spray: Generic
    1 hour: nice/pleasant....Even got a compliment at the store
    2 hour: Drydown is beginning....I smile with a grinch like sneakiness wondering what is next!
    3 hour:....It's Gone! Bummer....

So, longevity is nill, fragrance is good, and the world is still rotating. Cheers.

drseid's avatar

gs02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

gs02 opens with a mild and quite brief squirt of fresh orange before it turns into an accord I don't think I can easily describe... It has a bit of an olive oil-like smell mixed with bitter cherry spiced leather which most likely is a combination of angelica, castoreum and wormwood among other ingredients. This slightly spiced leathery-olive heart accord sits on an amber base that is not sweet at all, while from start to finish the scent is both minimalistic and extremely subtle in one. Projection and longevity are both poor.

I know I like gs02, but it is hard for me to pin down why. It is so subtle that I find myself having to apply a bunch of it on skin to try and nail down its scent. Even doing that, I am at a loss for words to describe what it truly smells like and I am sure my vague descriptors in the paragraph above do not do it justice. All I *can* say is it smells unique and quite good, but I wish it were much more assertive. In short, gs02 is a minor success from Schoen who also created Clive Christian's masterpiece X for Men that has some similarities in its base. I definitely prefer X over gs02 by miles, but gs02 is a good way to sample what Schoen has to offer at a much lower price tag. gs02 earns a very good 3.5 stars out of 5 and is recommended.

muskymoi's avatar

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

Top note smelled like I had just moisturized with the catch of the day. Drydown was nicer but not so extraordinary as to warrant the purchase price (for my money, anyway).

Le Petit Prince B612 by Le Petit Prince

This is a VERY light, sheer, inoffensive scent. It has hints of citrus, wood, and light musk. There are also traces of mint and an earthy-floral note which to me seems more like iris or orris than jasmine. This is so light one could bathe in it -- simply impossible to over-apply it. Very short longevity.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

It's interesting to note that the ad design always matches the fragrance in my opinion. The fragrance does have a sparkle at the top that is light but always present. It is not a dark scent (hence the moon shining), but it does have a depth to it that is cool and mysterious. Anyway, enough about the ad. Let me break down the scent for you. :)

It opens with a freshness I'm not used to in Amouage. It wafts a sweetness I like. I immediately sense a syrupy back-of-the-throat sweetness similar to the one in Parfum d'Empire Aziyade, Amouage Memoir, and good licorice scents; not in your face, but lightly trailing along in the air like a mini fairy godmother. Closer to skin I smell the spices, and an oudh-like wet wood. The musty patchouli comes out eagerly on my skin. I am not a patchouli hater - many are - but I am not a patchouli lover either. Patch, for me, is like one of those things in life you know is just wrong, but can't stop enjoying. It has an ancient feeling that appeals to the primal instincts, and together with the gorgeously blended resins and that sweet syrupy fruit trail still popping in once in a while, it smells like I would like my man - or myself - to smell.

I actually find the Jubilation 25 (for women) to be drier, spicier, and less appealing. This has a sweetness that is countered by the spices from Jubilation 25, but only a bit. I'm not in love with how it is on my skin (when I sniff it close) when it first opens, but the wafting it provides is heavenly. I think the way the sweetness sometimes disappears may cause some women to stray away from it, if they prefer their juice sweet. There is a beautiful balance between sweet and spicy woods, and there definitely is a "power" in here that one could describe as masculine.

It dries down to a powdery soft wood that reminds me of an oil I love called Sirius Black. It also has immortelle in it, so that might be it. The woods and the musk combine at the base to create a skin scent that is cool, rounded and a total chameleon. I dare you to try to name notes with this (or any Amouage in general, as they are so skilfully blended) - different notes keep showing up, which I consider to be the sign of a beautifully crafted scent. The sweet wafting continues, and to be honest - I'm not sure I want to keep analysing this one. It's so gorgeous that I keep feeling inadequate with my little perfume knowledge.

The big question is: would I wear it though? Yes, PLEASE. It's very classy, definitely not in your face or rebellious - yet so unique. I'm not sure if it is FBW (full-bottle worthy) yet (Memoir comes first!), but I will definitely be pulling this sample out of my boyfriend's closet more often. I think I might put my Jubilation 25 in there as a replacement - and then if he doesn't like it, I'll say "Gosh, yes, that Jubilation is horrid! Maybe it's your skin." ;)

Prada Candy by Prada

It opens with that caramel taste that you get when it's stuck in your teeth, that juicy sticky caramel. But it has a fruitiness in the background, almost like there is fruit water somewhere there. It is interesting how the caramel is ambery and is almost too sweet, but this is balanced out pretty well by the wateriness that feels like a mist of water drops has somehow mixed with it. Please note: This is only from the wafting - I haven't got to how it smells close to skin yet!

When I put my nose close to my arm, I get the familiar dry licorice wood of Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille in there, and there's something almost salty in there. It must be the dryness of the wood that is making me think of salt. Either way though, the scent is much rounder and fuller on skin than it is when it wafts. I will be honest; on my skin, the wafting could get cloying for a fussy person near me. Other reviewers disagree, but then everyone's skin is different.

It dries down to a drier vanillic resin. The caramel is always present, but I find the drydown (which occurs pretty quickly) very very similar to Un Bois Vanille (yes, I'll keep mentioning this one), but with a slightly saltier and less rounded drydown. I do like this part, but because I have something similar, I keep wishing the juicy caramel lasted longer. It's just as well though - I might get a toothache if the sticky caramel stage lasted too long.

I will say this: The fragrance doesn't change too much on my skin, but it does do something very unfortunate; it gets eaten by my skin in a very short time. Now, this would be alright if it were a cheap fragrance, but it's 50 Euro for only 30 ml!!! Now that would be worth it if there was a) many hours of pleasure and b) some sort of complex development - but there isn't.

Iskander by Parfum d'Empire

It opens with a full chorus of juicy citrus fruits; my nose is not knowledgable enough to distinguish the difference between them. It is pleasant, and sour but not TOO sour. It reminds me of the realistic juiciness in the opening notes of Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, though that is simply a grapefruit singing a scrumptious solo tune. The opening notes are a teenage boys' choir - not quite loud and bassy like the men's choirs, but also not screechy like 8 year old boys.

A dry spice come through in the heart, with a slight sweetness in the background. It is dry, and combats the wetness and freshness of the citrus fruits. The citrus isn't like washing liquid, but real and juicy. Later on, the many different citrus notes disappear to leave just one not-too-sour one behind. I like how it quietens down, and becomes a soft cloud of faint woods, soft/dry citrus, and some earthy yummy sweetness that I cannot name (probably musk). I cannot point out the soft, delicate flower in here, but I can sense it somehow. As with all of the PdE fragrances, the blending is so well done by Marc-Antoine Corticchiato that you will find it difficult to truly point out every single note. Finishing the act, an almost-salty spice or dry wood comes through, making this a true chypre.

I like this quite a bit, and would say it is the best citrus scent I have ever tested (though I haven't tested many). The notes blend beautifully, and each note rears its head once in a while to remind you that it is still there. Iskander is very airy and light, so you will probably need to use this one with a heavier hand (unless you want it to be a skin scent). This is a very masculine scent (though a woman can pull it off, as the drydown is delightfully soft) and I know I am going to be keeping the rest of this scent for a certain special man to test. Let's hope he likes it... because *I* do.

I might buy it before he does, anyway. ;)

Incense Rosé by Tauer

Opening: Cardamom comes out pretty strongly - not my thing. it gets blended prettily with some sort of herb and a very strong rose. Im a Rosine girl, so this is a new type of rose - Rosine roses are juicy - this one is a drier yet more mature and subtle rose. I can smell an incense that is not dry - the kind I like. It is definitely dark, and blended beautifully. There is a mustiness that is either orris or patchouli, which makes this the "noir" I would have liked to see in Chanel Coco Noir. The wood playes along nicely in the background, and to be honest, this is not a perfume that I am skilled enough to continue naming notes of.

Heart: There is a cumin-like thin note in the far background, which could be a herb or note I am not familiar with. It balances out (very well, might I add) the entire musty and damp earthiness, which is slightly dried by the cedar, and sweetened by the rose (now a background player). The incense reminds me a lot of that nice sweet incense in real life - not the dry and smokey incense one finds in a lot of "incense-based" perfumes. I get more incense in my inner elbow than on my wrist, where the herbs and rose remain. My wrist is also making the orris go a little carrot-like - but not enough for me to be put off.

There is a lemony sourness that is putting me off, it could simply be a herb, or the bergamot. If this were to stay like it is doing on my inner elbow, this would be a love. On my inner elbow, the rose has stood in the perfect place, and is mingling gorgeously with the very dark wood and incense. THAT is what I call a blend! But on my wrists it is staying as a herby carrot with lemons :( I shall try this one again while going somewhere, and see how it wafts (a telling factor for a full bottle).

Drydown: The woods take over with the incense. The darkness is still there, but there is a powderiness that makes this part the most "perfumey" of all stages. There is something in here that reminds me of a Serge Lutens scent, but I just cannot put my finger on which one. This is not because it is gourmandy or odd, but because of a combination of woods and flowers, I think. It is not at all similar to any SL scent, but the feeling I feel is similar. Perhaps I am in love and do not realise it. ;)

For now, I shall enjoy being transported away to an abandoned temple somewhere, where roses from a previous wedding are still scattered on the cobbled stones around the temple. The sun is setting, and there is a mustiness inside the temple, mixed with the ever-burning frankincense and the herbs that spilled from recent ceremonies. The wooden furniture (very little of it) that I see is so old that I can almost smell it. I am in the East, but where, I cannot say. All I do know, is that I will keep inhaling this scent to feel close to something that feels familiar, yet foreign.

Bottom Line: I would say that this could definitely be put in the "classic" sector; there is something in here that just screams timelessness, even though it has some modern and unusual notes. Just not sure it is for me.