Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Golden Cattleya by Olympic Orchids

Opening: What is that yellow goodness? I see an edible yellow creamy flower infront of me; there's a gourmandy sweetness that is probably the honey. Some have said that this is the honey scent for honey haters; I don't care who it's for - it is scrumptious. Some may find the opening too sweet (I doubt it), but for me this opening is HAPPY. There is joy dabbed onto my arm, and I'm confused as to how she managed to capture and bottle such an emotion.

The bright yellow honey opening softens to become a creamy yellow satisfaction - like the calm bliss after meditation (please let me find more synonyms for "happy" soon). It's almost as though Ellen realised that too much happiness can be draining, and slightly diluted it to become a constant emotion that just fills you with a much more peaceful and confident .... "happiness" (sorry, no thesaurus near me. And I'm too absorbed in this perfume to google anything!).

The new confident but soft flower that shows up after the opening, is dripping with a few dewdrops of a caramel honey, but it's not too sticky to become cloying, as there is a green stalk that prevents this flower from becoming a barbie-like pink juice (Did I mention the juice is also yellow? What fun!). This part wafts beautifully through the day, making you go "Ooh! What's that?? Oh, oops, just me." This stage of the fragrance reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in a way. I could see her wearing this during her fun goofy days - her beauty is very understated, but once you notice it, by GOD do you notice it! I never understood the hype, until I watched a movie with her in it. Her eyes! The purity and innocence in the moments where she smiles is something that will stay with me forever.

I'm supposed to be explaining all the notes and how the drydown is, but I just cannot. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" - and if it's perfect, don't analyse it. Some things are purely beautiful, and (okay I'm getting emotional now) just should not be described as being anything other than a work of art that carries a little piece of spirit/soul/energy in it. Just as the photographer in me cannot describe why Audrey is beautiful through analysing her features, I cannot explain the beauty of Golden Cattleya by listing its notes or how they react to eachother. The joy I feel is something that is a gift, from Olympic Orchids to me. Would you question someone if they gave you a button to make you happy, or simply enjoy it with all the gratitude in the world?

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This fragrance opens with a soapy note, very very soapy. Like, to the point where you feel *clean*. I catch myself impatiently waiting for some Sergian notes. I am currently in a very gourmand phase, and this is not very gourmand or dessert-like on my skin. Can we say "disappointment"?

Suddenly a thick syrup note pops through, as if to say "fooled ya!"
    - "Yesssss," says the pig in my nose, "FOOD!"

I can smell a woody scent in the background, as though the bitterness of PURE incense resin is present. I do not know what real myrrh smells like, and presume it isn't sticky sweet as some myrrh/incense scents like to make it, so this feels real. This woody note disappears as fast as it came, and like many other SL scents I have tried, this one seems to be a chameleon. The notes come back and disappear again, like some mysterious nimble bellydancers who simultaneously work as ninjas.

It has a note of garbage bag on my wrist, which I'm not loving, but when I smell the inside of my elbow (where scents bloom, in my opinion), I smell a cologne-like masculine coolness that I like. I realise now that this "soapy" quality I initially sensed is brought on by a white flower I do not recognise. It could be jasmine (according to note list), as this is a note I am not familiar with (I know - how is it possible?).

There is a greenness to this that is slightly bitter, but I think this is a scent that, on me, is dominated by a floral. It seems pretty linear for the first half hour, but then some anise-like scent comes through. According to this review, this scent is very true to myrrh, but since I know nothing about it I cannot say what I think of this matter.

After a bit, the sandalwood and spices come through, and I feel myself nodding and smiling with recognition. Hello Uncle Serge! The usual gourmand aspect is different, but still exists - I can sense a slight burned overly flavoured vanilla pudding. Yum!

I will have to say that I like this one quite a bit, and could see my see myself wearing it. It would be my first white-floral dominated scent (even though that aspect is less strong during the drydown). I read here that it is recommended to dab this one, and not spray. I do agree that this could be too heady and just "too much" if over-applied, and due to its "coolness" could definitely see - and love - this on a guy.

To conclude, this is a scent that has a coolness to it that reminds me of white flowers with dew drops on them on a crisp summer morning after a storm. I like the slightly bitter medicinal anise-like note in the background, but perhaps that is because I like very bitter dark chocolate too. Besides, bitterness is good for you. ;)

Note: The more time passed, the more I caught myself inhaling deeply when my arm was close to my nose. Warning: This scent - like a lot of Serge Lutens fragrances - grows on you! The more hours that pass, the creamier this one gets. I cannot comment on sillage as I really did use a few drops. Obviously, due to dabbing the sillage would be lower than if spraying.

Idylle by Guerlain

The bottle is interesting. It's been compared to chocolates, a bike saddle, golden drops, and an upside-down shoe heel. It is nice from far, but far from nice. In images it looks chic, in real life the plastic chips away and you realise that your diamond was actually a piece of glitter reflecting the sun. I am not shallow enough to judge a perfume by its bottle, but this little tidbit of information about the bottle runs parallel to my feelings on the juice itself.

Idylle starts with a fruit burst that is pretty yummy. I can definitely smell a soft white flower with that fruit - and then suddenly the fruit is gone (though it still wafts at times); closer to skin I can only smell a white floral. Whereas J'adore is classy and boring, this one is sparklier but soft (a white floral hater could love this). I do get aldehydes (or is this scent just hurting my nose with cheap synthetic ingredients?) and find this lovely and blended well. But that's just it - it's another Vera Wang (maybe more bold), J'adore (brighter), and Attimo, but with slightly different notes. I would even say it's got a lot of Miss Dior Cherie (vintage) - which may be why I like it - that raspberry note is probably the culprit. It is admittedly the best I have tried in my fruity floral range this week - but that is not saying much.

It's just another fruity floral for the young and/or unaware perfume admirer. It's a gorgeous one, but not memorable enough to keep. It does not deserve Guerlain's name on it! Some proper Guerlinade as a base (or anything a little more worth the high price of this fragrance) would have made this a keeper, or at least some sort of nod at the fact that this perfume house is full of classics. I understand they are trying a new direction, but then at least put some contrast to the notes, so my brain stays challenged. Contrast, people, contrast! Is that too much to ask?

Verdict: Yeah... No. If perfumes were actresses, this would be Jessica Simpson. I prefer me some Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, and Audrey Hepburn, thank you.

J'Adore L'Absolu by Christian Dior

Luckily for my nose, this was not a fruity floral in the way the perfumes I tried before this in the "30 days" series were, strictly speaking. This is more a floral with a whisper of fruit (there is a difference!). It opens with a green and fresh feeling, which I liked. White florals then chime in with the green stems, still present, which I liked surprisingly (I do not love white florals). I can sense the tuberose at a comfortable level in the background (I DEFINITELY do not love tuberose). No fruits detected, except when I inhale very deeply with my nose touching my skin. I find that very interesting, as it balances the scent out from becoming one big thick white floral.

It continues on like this and doesn't change much on my skin. I find it quite bland, and the fact that it is well-blended is now more of a disadvantage to me than an advantage, simply because I would have liked some contrast. Put in something dark, or more woody, or darken *something* in the base!

Attimo by Salvatore Ferragamo

Fresh lemony burst, then pear sorbet - yum! Then, after 5 minutes, it is just another fruity floral. I would have loved it if it were a little more like Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, where that "soli-fruit" (lol) note stays on and on (and realistically too!). Unfortunately, this one turns into another fruity floral with that cheap fruit-aldehyde note I seem to sense in every mainstream (not entirely well-crafted) department store frag. It dries down to a yummy brown sugar, just like Acqua di Gioia, but lasts a little longer. Gasp! Will this be my fruity floral keeper? Only if it lasts longer than 2-3 hours.

Verdict: After the short yumminess, it dries down even further to a skin scent that smells of plastic. I like some sillage, and would have preferred it if that pear stayed. Bye-bye!

Chloé (new) by Chloé

Juicy opening. Switches to creamy flowers (but delicate, and still watery in that typical fruity floral fashion). Smells like soap. May have gone off, something in this makes me a bit queasy. The bottle is in terrible condition, like it rusted somehow, which makes no sense as it has just been sitting on a shelf. Maybe it did go off though... A bit of greenness in this one. Scrubber. Cannot place synthetic note.

Verdict: I hope this was just off, and not how Chloe actually smells. Happily donated on Basenotes to someone who was willing to test if it was off.

EDIT: This did not go off. It is just definitely not for me. The Basenoter I sent it to was very happy with it, and his mum stole it from him as it reminded her of the Chloe she used to wear. Yay happy endings!

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

I LOVE HER DESIGNS!!! Now, my love for her designs does not mean I will be biased when it comes to her fragrances. Here are my test notes:

Aldehydes, fresh fruity smell that is clean and pretty memorable - not because it is super original, but simply because it truly is a pretty fragrance that suits its purpose. This fragrance was marketed as a bridal scent, and I believe the nose behind it completely understood what Vera was after. Her designs dazzle; the perfume and make-up of the bride should therefore be a little less loud, just to balance things out. Also, a bride should be remembered for her *self*, not just one aspect of her look.

The fruit goes, and makes way for more aldehydes. Then, lotus, soft rose, and other flowers with a light or white feel come through to the front like a beautiful bouquet. Very well blended, soft, and really (I cannot say it enough) perfect for a wedding. This is a great scent for someone who does not want to blast everyone with their fragrance, but would still like a recognisable but classy scent.

If you do not like aldehydes, you might sneeze with this one! It reminds me a little of Elie Saab le Parfum, not because it is similar (I find this scent prettier, weaker, and less in-your-face) but because of its aldehydic content. This one is very feminine, very classy. It is a gorgeous soft scent, and if I was not more into complex frags and gourmands, and less into clean scents, I would have kept this.

It develops into a white floral heart, which I admit would be great for white floral haters like myself as it is not too much. It then gets a minty quality. Alas, this bridal perfume will not be the one I wear with the matching gown.

Verdict: Off to Ebay!

Acqua di Gioia by Giorgio Armani

I loved this fragrance at one point, simply because I felt that it had a masculine, empowering tone which made it different from my other scents. I used to ADORE this because I felt that it was unique and original. Would I still feel the same now? Test notes below:

I note now that I must have sensed the lemon, which can make a scent seem masculine. As with most department store frags, it is a very sugared lemon. I also sense a sugary synthetic mint note (I usually don't like peppermint in my scents, but because this note is synthetic it may explain why I don't mind it too much). Some herb is coming through, like pepper, it makes the frag smell messy, like an accidental spill. Very aquatic; more watery than usual mainstream frags. I see that Fragrantica lists "sugar" as a note; not surprised. Something smells "off" now; I suspect it might be the synthetic mint note combining with something. This is a perfect fragrance for someone who wants to stay in the department store fragrance realm, but have something slightly different than the rest. It is different, but only in the mainstream realm. Compared to niche brands, this scent is just another one that'll be forgotten. It develops BEAUTIFULLY into some sort of burned brown sugar scent which I adore.

Verdict: The longevity (which is poor compared to the scents I am now used to) makes this hard to keep.

Rose The One by Dolce & Gabbana

Watery sweet fruity floral at first spray. Does not open very originally. Rose comes through. Very watery, and although I could see myself wearing this (at least if it stays like this), after having tried Les Parfums de Rosine's take on the rose, I feel I have grown out of synthetic florals like this. It develops beautifully; some citrus and another soft white flower and juicy fruit stay in the background. Very modern, a little cold - nice for a wedding or a spring occasion where you want to smell lovely and not overpowering. This is just not for me; I suspect this will appeal to people new to perfume, or department store fruity floral perfume lovers. The heart develops into purely soft white flowers, but nothing jarring - all very average. Bleh. As some reviewers said, "Where is the rose?".

Verdict: To Ebay this one goes!

colormechris's avatar

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

I just acquired this from Ebay for my mother-in-law. An unopened box of both the Eau and Extrait. I didn't open the extrait because it's sealed, but I did sample the Eau. Both can be no younger than 1988, so I'm guessing some of the more subtle aldehydic topnotes are diminished if not gone. But what remains, especially in the drydown, is exactly what I expected. A classic French style "floral aldehydic" which I find more of a balsamic oriental. It is heady and rich. Sort of a denser, more velvety, slightly musky Chanel No.5. One of those fragrances that is so rich and intoxicating, it's almost like eating dessert!
    Please do not confuse "old school" with "old lady". Because this old lady is a classy classic (if not a classic cougar). Why on earth did Lanvin discontinue this? But if you seek out a vintage bottle of this potion, I'd be confident that it won't have "gone off". Or maybe I just got lucky?

RobbieX's avatar

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Loud is a soft lovely tobacco frag on me anyway. A gorgeous floral and tobacco sillage. Very pleasant indeed. A great one from T.H.

11th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2012)

RobbieX's avatar

Cigar by Rémy Latour

GORGEOUS fragrance. There has to be tobacco in this though it's not listed. A sweet, mellow tobacco scent that develops on your skin. Really great!

11th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2013)

kashyap.uppuluri's avatar

Kenzo Homme Sport by Kenzo

Just bought this fragrance a few days ago - I usually get suckered in by top notes of fragrances and find that the mid and base notes fall flat when I get home so I took my time with buying this one and it delivered.

I am new to describing fragrances but if you imagine something that starts off citrusy, but develops into something that is slightly minty and spicy at the same time you get the picture. Despite the description it is a fresh fragrance and lives to its 'sport' name and is unmistakably a mens fragrance.

It's my current favourite and I recommend every guy give it a shot on their skin and let it settle for an hour

kashyap.uppuluri's avatar

Drift by Hollister

I believe this is discontinued, but when it was out it was an incredible fragrance and my favourite. Very fresh and beachy, Hollister captured their whole image perfectly with this smell. None of their current fragrances come close to this one. When I walked into the Hollister shop about 7 years ago this is what I smelt being gently sprayed through the air. The whole time I was wondering what was being sprayed and when I reached the front counter, I came in contact with my first bottle of Drift. Now THATS how you sell fragrance!

Hollister needs to start making these again. For those who are interested, an almost identical fragrance is Aeropostale Maximum. Definetely made for younger guys - 30 below.

verycharlie's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Putting aside the 'alien plant life' business, the really super-futuristic thing about Mugler's Cologne is that it's an instant shower in a bottle. Truly it's an essential utility. I've had my sample for a week and it's already indispensable for: wearing to bed at night to feel like you had a shower when you didn't - wearing in the morning to feel nice during that (drink tea/ feed cat/ smoke breakfast ) period in between waking up and getting showered, dressed and putting on your proper perfume - radically improving a hangover by removing all trace of fester, leaving you free to loll around in bed all day feeling clean and lovely with only pain and nausea left to deal with. It's great.

As for the smell, there's something about it that reminds me of my dad's skin, which always had an distinctive clean/oily, vaguely citrus-ish smell, the unmistakable smell of a particular gelatinous, alien green industrial skin cleaner used by mechanics everywhere since the dawn of time. Could the mysterious 'S' ingredient be Swarfega?! Calling on any grease monkey fume heads out there to confirm this wild theory.

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is one of the great fragrances of the 21st century. Very comforting, very pleasant, well done and a sexy scent. Has nuances of leather, tonka bean and that mystic incense vibe that envelops the fragrance, just absolutely magical. Not only is the scent spectacular, but the bottle presentation is one of the most stunning ones on the market. Perfect for the romantics out there.
    Longevity and projection are quite good with this (especially in the EDP concentration). Speaking of which, both the EDT and EDP are basically identical in smell.
    Overall, this is a modern masterpiece, and bound to become a legend in the fragrance game.

rbaker's avatar

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Used it a fair bit in the past and at times more recently. A good power fougere that on me displays a good balance between fougere-green, pine and spice, like a heavier version of Polo Green with less spice. I do, however, have longevity issues with this scent.

marcusman's avatar

Santal Blush by Tom Ford

Wow! This is my HG fragrance for my wife, if that makes any sense. This fragrance is an ephemeral pleasure that I enjoyed at first spray so much I bought a 500.00 flacon on the spot. This is the most pleasant presentation of Santal that I ever put my nose on. The name is dead on: Sandelwood(Santal) with floral/rose/flowers blooming/pink (Blush).

The fragrance is fairly linear with only minimal development that occurs in the first few minutes. This is usually consider bad for a fragrance but in this case I love it because fragrance s ells so great the fact that it does not develop just means you smell great all the way through the dry down. I detect 3 distinct notes: Sandelwood, Floral (of which rose is the only actual flower I detect again ie. "Blush"), and cedar. I pretty much dete t these notes throughout the dry down. Most Sandelwood fragrances I have smelled are usually on the "dry" side. In this case the fragrance has a "wet" feel. Not in the marine or aqua sense but more like stepping outside after a heavy rain where everything is soaked but the sun has come out and is shining on the puddles and the leaves and grass are wet. The fragrance has minimal to moderate sillage- you catch whiffs of fragrance here and there. It last 8-10 hours and projects about the same the whole time. Thie projection could be a turn off if you enjoy scents like Black Orchid. This is the type of scent that draws others in for a "second whiff". I would consider this a feminine fragrance- IMHO.

A visual of the fragrance: Imagine stepping out into your backyard after a heavy rain storm. The wind broke into two several Sandelwood trees and a small cedar tree. Your rose bushes and other flowers are blown all over your yard. The ground is puddled with rain water and the trees are soaked. You step into your yard and take a deep breath. Bingo- you just smelled the most amazing fragrance called Santal Blush.

marcusman's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This had to be the most synthetic fragrance I've smelled. I detect no natural notes what so ever. I guess that's why it's a projection/sillage monster. What I smell:

Imagine a beach ball sitting all afternoon in the sun. Now spray it with paint thinner or any other type of cleaner/chemical. Now take a big whiff- you are now smelling TdH! Why all the love?

Je Reviens by Worth

This is simply one of the most magnificent scents ever created. If you haven't experienced this scent, you are missing out. I'm not familiar with the more modern re-formulations, so I can't comment on whether or not they hold a candle to the 1970s-1980s formulations that I'm acquainted with. I will always associate this with my mom's "going out" nights in the 1970s, yet it's a fragrance I enjoy wearing myself. I have a hard time describing it- it's one of those scents that you truly have to experience yourself, but I consider it thoroughly modern, in spite of it's long heritage.

Amarige by Givenchy

I didn't love this fragrance when it was first introduced, but it grew on me. Men seem to love it- I always get compliments from them when I wear it. It reminds me a little bit of bananas! It's a bit heavy, so I only tend to wear it in colder weather.

Darvant's avatar

Deep Forest by Bogner

Oh, my God, truly a magic scent, an impossibly hard to find item nowadays, a green-exotic blend of herbs, powdery woods, fruity-floral notes, incense and moss. As well as others underlined, the juice (after the first aromatic and rooty blast) is clean and powdery, conjuring a sort of magic and fairy ambience rather than a deep and impenetrable forest. Really juicy in its green connection of orange and cinnamon. The balance is extreme, the masculine trail is discreet and charming while the softly green delicacy is really pleasant and halfhearted. The  dry down is a woodsy cloud of sweet floral powder, mossy labdanum and tasty incense. A gem that i would like to own in my collection.

Joy by Jean Patou

I consider this fragrance far superior to its slightly older contemporary, the over-hyped Chanel No.5. I'm only familiar with the formulations made from the 1970s-1990s, so I can't comment on any newer formulations. I have vivid memories of sneaking some of this from my mother's vanity when I was barely tall enough to reach it!

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

To me this is a great scent. When i spray this on my skin I think horse saddle right away. Makes me think im walking into a western store that sells boots, saddles, and lots of real leather. Very good longevity and to me this is my favorite scent. You wont find this on sale so I guess you get what you pay for. Let me add that this is a MANS scent (little boys need not apply)

Zut's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le male contains some of my favourite notes and I was eager to try it. I really liked this fragrance on the blotter. Then, I sprayed some on my wrist. Big mistake! After 20 minutes, I smelled like I spilled a bottle of Musk for Men by Jovan (a horrible cheap drugstore fragrance that was all too popular back in the 70's). For months, my mouse pad reeked of white musk. Oddly enough, musk is not mentioned in Le male's olfactory pyramid. I wonder what it is that reacts so bad on my skin.

Maybe Le male is a great fragrance on some men but on me, it is utterly revolting. Headache in a bottle, unfortunately.

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

Very safe scent to buy blind. The women will love this scent I can assure you of that. Longevity is somewhat weak as it last about 4 hours on me. The name very cool describes this cologne very well. I do like the scent, but its not one that i would brag about. However the women will brag about it, I havent had a women not like it yet. I found this cologne at a local discount store for dirt cheap so you cant go wrong with this scent as long as you get it for a reasonable price. Oh yeah and i actually really love the bottle and cap.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Nice scent, I really enjoy smelling this on me. The only issue i have with this is that most of the women I come in contact states this smells like a old man or a powder room. I dont agree i really smell alot of honesuckle in this. The lasting power is amazing, dont worry about using this bottle to fast. Can be bought at a reasonable price, but for me i dont wear it out to much because of the negitve comments ive had from women. Im not saying all the women dont like this one just the women that I have been around.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I can definately say all ages of women will love this one. I personally like it ok, smells of alot of synthetics. As for the price you can find this stuff pretty cheap for a large bottle. I have worn this for many years or at least had it in my collection. Gotta go with the thumbs up because the women absolutely adore this cologne.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

This scent is not bad. I got a gift set right after christmas on sale at a department store for cheap so i had to try it. To me its a safe scent that the women will enjoy on their men. Im probably not going to buy this again though just do to the fact that its ok not great. Do not over apply it will give you a headache.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

One of my favorites, very masculine scent to me. I think mature man that is wealthy. Anyway i really do enjoy this scent even if it does smell a little synthetic. Like the bottle also pretty cool screw on cap. This scent isnt going anywhere anytime soon (live one baby)