Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Power by 50 Cent

I have to admit I enjoy lots of varieties of colognes, but this is absolute trash to me. Theres a reason this can be found for dirt cheap in many department stores, its because this stuff is not good. May i add this is my opinion sorry im sure there are people that may like it. To me this stuff smells like a cheap lotion with a bad scent. I got the cologne/aftershave kit and its on my swap list. I have only sprayed the cologne for about 3 sprays if anyone wants it i will trade the set for just about anything.

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

For this one i would have to say just ok. Its nothing special, but my wife did enjoy it so for that i will give it at least neutral. I could find so much more for the same price as this one. Not bad but not great just ok.

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Mans splash. Strong at first and then dries down to a nice smell. Not the cheapest drugstore scents. For me out of the cheaper scents this one is the best. I love to splash this on right before bed. It just gives me a peacefull easy sleep feeling. I can assure you this wont be a hit for the younger ladies at least not for most, but its a good refreshing feeling to the face after a shave or before bed.

English Leather by Dana

I respect the amount of positive reviews on this one, but for me this is not good at all. Smells extremely cheap and is, smells very offensive and is, Makes me a little sick when i smell it. Not good at all and if this is what people think leather smells like then they arent smelling a good quality leather scent such as fahrenheit or something like that.

Avatar by Coty

For the price I really like this scent. The longevity is terrible though. If this scent would last a little longer I would definately wear it as a everyday scent.

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

wow when i think of Michael Jordan i think back to my younger days. I used this stuff religously back in the day. Its actually a great scent to have such a low price. I saw this stuff actually just a few months back for cheap on sale at a discount department store and said i have to have this again. Bought it and still enjoy it even though i think its probably better suited for a younger man into sports and stuff like that.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Yep smells like my Dad. Haha my wife hates it says it smells way to much like an old man. For me i think its alright, cheap of course but alright.

Canoé by Dana

Ahhh nothing special. Used to own it when i was younger a while back. Didnt really do it for me, but i do remember it being a weak safe scent maybe a barbershop smell.

psychoskip's avatar
    psychoskip

Big Pony 4 by Ralph Lauren

The only of these 4 fragrances that I enjoyed was the orange one, with "4" on it. To me, it was the only one that stood out, and was accompanied by a sweet grapefruit tone to it. It had the classic Polo spice, as all Polo fragrances do. It's definitely a casual scent, however, I throw it on before I go golfing usually.

psychoskip's avatar
    psychoskip

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

I enjoyed this fragrance. I don't understand some of these ratings, or how these results were founded. I feel the longevity on this scent was quite good. I purchased a large bottle immediately after sampling. I felt it had a good balance, however, silage was at a minimum. My brother in law loved it, and I gave him the remaining of my bottle. Since, I was able to find this scent for fairly cheap online.

PAguy's avatar
    PAguy

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Got to try this one at Macy's today. The sales associate said they had just put it out a few hours before. I tried it, it was nice, fresh, clean, but smelled too familiar. I was hoping for someone more like A*Men Pure Malt, with the cognac and rum, but instead it smells like an Eternity or Euphoria. Not terrible, not exciting.

synthetic's avatar
    synthetic

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

The promising opening vanishes within 5 minutes and is replaced by a soapy, generic sweetness.
    Really not my thing.

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Eau Claire des Merveilles by Hermès

I remember a little buzz when this first came out, but everyone seems to have quickly forgotten Eau Claire. I suppose that's largely because it really doesn't make much sense as an Eau des Merveilles flanker. Honestly, if they had released it as an almond-themed Hermessence, I think it would have a bit of a cult following by now. Oh, and it kind of sucks sprayed on paper, sitting like a sullen lump (though it positively sings on my skin) which probably makes it a hard sell.

So what does it smell like? It's Ellena on a good day, so it's complex but uncluttered. It hits first with a big shot of aldehydic white musky soap that quickly overpowers the nostrils and ends up as a sillage cloud as opposed to something you smell when sniffing your own skin directly (it's one of those Ellena tricks - most famously done in Terre d'Hermes - that some find clever and others find frustrating or simply don't perceive at all). The real star of the show is a delicious toasted almond smell, almost imperceptibly brightened with a pinch of citrus and fennel and made rich and nutty with a subtle sandalwood underneath. There's also a shot of Ellena's favorite cumin note, so there's a sweaty/spicy element as well.

So, I know this doesn't sound like much: Soapy sweaty vaguely-woody almond where you kind of can't smell the soap but it's there. But it smells amazing! I love the toasted almond note - it makes Eau Claire feel like some whole new kind of gourmand. But it's got that push and pull between the "perfumey" soap and the "niche" sweat, too. If you like loukhoum scents, you'll probably enjoy Eau Claire (though it's not that sweet). Or, if you're a Hermessence fan, this feels like it would be right at home in the line. Ellena fans, this is one of the good ones...

Kagey's avatar
    Kagey

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphéa by Guerlain

I was completely surprised by this one. It's very much about the orange blossom and honey - the latter grounding it and giving it the warm animalic quality of a skin scent. Orange blossom is a tricky note for me; it seems to sit outside the realm of normal "florals." Whereas the white flowers are heady and tropical, orange blossom is very much of fields and green countryside, and while sweet, it's got a sharp edge that's tangy and almost savory. Here it epitomizes the sultry, humid summertime.

The main surprise for me is that it lasts forever--I sprayed it about 24 hours ago--and the late drydown is doing a chypre-type thing on me. Fabulous!

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Vivara (new) by Emilio Pucci

The first time I tried this on, I was shocked. There's a weird mix of notes in here that reminds me of a green liquor from China that my grandparents brought back as a souvenir from Hong Kong in the 80's, a little piece of tourist junk in a doll-shaped bottle. I remember sniffing it as a child. It was such a foreign smell to me then, sweet and minty, but more like mouthwash than food. It was herbal and rich and was medicinal and repulsive as much as it was intoxicating and liqueur-ish. That's what Vivara reminds me of - It's like a big spill in a medicine cabinet but also like an alcoholic drink.

All this weirdness sits on top of a very comfortable soapy smell with hints of powder and vanilla sweetness, so it's kind of like going to a McDonalds or a Dennys and seeing interesting avante garde sculpture on their walls instead of their usual forgettable corporate throwaway art. At first, the incongruity makes it even more shocking, but once you're used to it, it loses a lot of the novelty that made it seem really interesting and then it just feels sort of quirky or vaguely odd.

I've worn Vivara many times now, trying to figure out what's making that boozy mint medicine smell, and though it started off really captivating me, I've kind of lost interest in it with repeated wears and now it mostly just smells to me like minty soap with a weird medicine undertone. Oh well, at least it was an interesting ride and I'm happy it's not just another silly juvenile fruity floral. Definitely worth sampling.

Wise Owl's avatar
    Wise Owl

CK Free by Calvin Klein

CK Free is a fragrance that promises so much, yet delivers so little. The notes in the pyramid look absolutely amazing; however the scent in the bottle bears little to no resemblance to those notes. That said it's not actually a bad fragrance. It's clean, light and fresh. Unfortunately it's also very generic and very run-of-the-mill.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Insensé by Givenchy

*This is a review of the vintage formulation.

Insense opens with a brief pinch of lavender, mandarin orange and basil before quickly transitioning to its key herbal floral magnolia heart note with iris support melding with the remaining basil from the top notes and a significant fir note rising from the base that grows over time as the scent develops and the magnolia somewhat dissipates. Projection is stellar and longevity is excellent.

Vintage Insense is a very rare breed... a truly believable masculine floral. To many that would appear to be an oxymoron, but while it is extremely rare that I find a floral I feel comfortable wearing, this is absolutely one. Insense smells superb from start to finish and its floral nature is kept wearable by the very nice fir note in the base and the basil that both really "toughen up" the magnolia. Those that have no problem wearing florals of any kind should add vintage Insense to the top of their shopping list, and everyone else should strongly consider it too as it is very wearable and even more worthy. Insense in its vintage form gets 4 stars out of 5.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

I'm amazed I like this, since I hate white musk. This is a great one, linear yet complex. It does not smell like shampoo or laundry detergent.

The musk is very prominent from beginning to end, but there are green notes, woody and spicy notes very carefully blended in with the musk to make it crisp and aromatic. Smells almost identical to the drydown in Creed's Original Vetiver. A great fragrance for a great price.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Kanøn Agarwood by Kanon

Kanon Agarwood is my favorite from this house, mostly because I find it more interesting than the other entries. There is nothing especially modern about this fragrance. It is definitely surprising that a budget house would release something this unique in this decade. The closest analog I can think of is Parfum d'Habit. Agarwood is like a mainstream attenuated version of MPG's great masculine. The synthetic oud and rosewood combo approximates the civet-like sharpness of Parfum d'Habit without it's TNT-level power. I agree with Shamu that it also resembles some potent feminines, especially Vagabond, Cabaret and their ilk.

I cannot make great claims for this perfume but I suspect that the Marshall's bin location and sub-$10 price will scare some away that may actually enjoy this oddball contemporary product. The risk is minimal at this pricepoint and I was pleasantly surprised.

nightcutter's avatar
    nightcutter

Blue Energy by Marks and Spencer

Smells like Lacoste Style In Play (aka Lacoste Red). Very strong. Projects well.

Style In Play isn't a favourite of mine but if you like it Blue Energy is a cheaper and near identical alternative.

jacobcgi's avatar
    jacobcgi

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

Although A&F scents tend to be great for a middle school, this one is a great for going to lunch or any event that isn't of very much importance. Has a good top note but after that you might as well wash it off.

's avatar

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

I always have so much fun with this one. It drastically improves my mood every time. I find it extremely comfortable, delicious, natural and really easy to wear. The lasting power is superb. Some people tend to compare Ligea with Shalimar and Mitsouko. I really can't say the resemblance is that obvious. Yes, they all have vanilla and powdery notes, but in my opinion 'La Sirena' actually shares a large number of similarities with Antaeus and Eau Lente. This is my first fragrance centered around opoponax and lavender and I am surprised how much I love those two notes. I am very happy with the quality of Ligea (it must be one of the best fragrances I ever had). Contrasting notes make it very dynamic, so it never gets boring. Love love love this fragrance.

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I own and really like both YSL L'homme Libre and L'Nuit HOMME. Unfortunatey, this one lacks the character of the other YSL frags. Powdery opening with a stale ginger note barely discernible that fades too quickly. After 45 minutes, this is just a light talcum and vanilla scent that presents as feminine. Lasts about 4-5 hours on skin.

Marais's avatar
    Marais

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

I love this juice! I'm not the biggest fan of the original's dated smell and poor longevity, so, for me, this new creation does not suffer by comparison with an ageing legend; in fact, I was very pleasantly surprised.
    The original's bergamot/citrus/vetiver bone structure is still just recognisable; but wearing an overcoat of heavenly myrrh and dark patchouli so thick that the startling transformation will inevitably confound expectations. The result is a heavy, dark, resolutely masculine fragrance which is saved from chest-beating 80s parody by a healthy helping of smooth, semi-sweet powder and quiet florals.
    There is nothing quite like it, but there are elements which remind me of Cartier's Santos and PdN's New York.
    Projection and longevity are excellent; it lasts a full day easily. One or two sprays are all that is required; more may prove a mistake. My best new fragrance discovery of 2012 so far. Bravo Demachy!

12 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2012)

Gabbanaguy's avatar
    Gabbanaguy

Pasha by Cartier

This is a outstanding fragrance. I just tried It for the first time and just love it. I think I smell like a Persian Prince. Although I have never smelled a Persian Prince before. Or at least I dont think I have. Better than smelling like Persian rug I suppose. It really is a wonderful sent...Im surprised that It's not more popular.

Pasha by Cartier has good longevity and reasonably good projection. Not a monster In anyway...but it dosen't need to be. It's quite nice just the way it is.

Dont dismiss this one because It came out 20 years ago. That Indeed would be a mistake. Well done Cartier.

12 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2012)

antiqueRose's avatar
    antiqueRose

Imari Seduction by Avon

I love this delicious, inexpensive, sexy scent. Its floral, plummy, powdery, musky , smoky and vanillic.

12 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2012)

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

London by Playboy

As someone who is somewhat familiar with the Playboy legacy, I am at a loss to discern what the point of the Playboy line of fragrances is (apart from the obvious "making money" motive). Primarily I cannot figure the audience. Each of the offerings to date is a generic knockoff of a contemporary fragrance (i.e. Hollywood Playboy = Armani Code) and they are all sweet and cheap, so presumably they are aimed at teenaged boys (or perhaps young twenty-somethings). The puzzle is: does the Playboy marque hold any allure for most Generation Y'ers? Hefner's fingerprints aren't on these cheapies and he must be a parodic figure for those not old enough to remember just how innovative the magazine, and the subsequent TV shows, were.

Furthermore, there seems to be no synch up between the names, which are all international cities, and the fragrances. Apart from the watery aquatic mess that is Malibu, I see little correlation to the subjects. London is among the more egregious examples. In no way does this sweet, cheap powdery genre juice evoke any aspect of London. London Bridge and Big Ben are on the label but not, alas, within the bottle. The logo is a Union Jack overlaid on the signature Playboy Bunny with an electric guitar subbing for the usual bow tie. Is this to evoke England's rock'n'roll heritage? This juice is closer to Air Supply than to Sham 69.

There is nothing to be proud of in this line and they probably should be avoided (I do like Vegas Playboy the best but that's not saying much).

mnaonbn's avatar
    mnaonbn

Diane by Diane Von Furstenberg

[Per dvf.com, the notes in both the EdP & EdT are frangipani, violet, myrrh, musk, and patchouli.]

I really dislike the type and amount of musk that is used in Diane. That musk, when coupled with florals (esp. those that are synthetic), ends up smelling a lot like mass-market, cheap, and synthetic laundry detergents/fabric softeners/dryer sheets. This is very gross to me. Additionally, the musk and frangipani (a.k.a. plumeria) together seem to create an overtone of...get ready for it...chlorine. Strangely enough, I really like the smell of chlorine, but not as an overtone in this particular composition. Finally, I also get an even stranger overtone that I think results from the musk, myrrh, and patchouli accord...that overtone is halitosis! Yes, I said halitosis. I realize that this assessment invites personal criticism, but I assure you that my breath is quite unoffensive, as attested to by both my dentist and hygienist. Ultimately, it is obvious that Diane sends my nose some very disturbing and disgusting signals, but it is what it is.

On the plus side, for those of you who like this perfume, both the EdP and EdT offer good to great projection, sillage, and longevity, with the EdP being the stronger of the two, of course.

hickorysmoke's avatar
    hickorysmoke

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

Smells good, however projection/longevity is so weak nobody, including you, will know.

chopwet's avatar
    chopwet
    Switzerland Switzerland

Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

A one trick pony with no development although the initial blast of grapefruit is lovely it's a pity the whole show only last for about 30 minutes. There is no rose in this all I get is a some grapefruit and that's it. For those that don't speak French, the name translates to Pink Grapefruit in English. 'Rose' in French = 'pink' in English when used as an adjective.

This has the worst longevity I've yet experienced. I'm not one of those people who likes to cover themselves in a fragrance but perhaps severe over-application is the only way with this one. Still for the money you would expect something to last a bit longer. Pity.