Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Nefelli's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I first owned this perfume over 15 years ago. it was quite an experience for me then. I'm not really a Gourmand type, and had never worn anything like it, it shocked me the first time I encountered, it continued to shock me each time I wore it. In fact I don't really know why I wore it, I just sometimes felt I really needed it, like a decadent *fix* of a calorie laden Belgian Chocolate gateau.

As I began to smell it on every other woman in the street/restaurant/shop, I placed it in the back of the drawer, gave it away finally. Last month as I was walking through the perfume dept I saw it sitting there and, the old addiction rose up, I needed my *fix*.

Ive matured since then, just because I own a perfume, doesn't mean it needs to come with me everywhere I go, Angel is my private comfort food scent. I now like to indulge in it's heady, warm, mouth watering sensuous Chocolate vanilla blanket in the evening, so it has dried down to its heavenly almost nursery caramel treat stage by bedtime.

I love Angel now it is no longer a challenge to me and I know what to do with it, some scents are just too delicious and personal to share.

Human by Fruits and Passion

I am reviewing the HUMAN - homme version.
    Somewhat sweet, fairly green and fresh. Some stalky and green sap notes.
    A bit thick and heavy.
    Aside from the sweetness and weight it is OK.
    Not complex, smells inexpensive but at least it is not wretchedly synthetic.
    A bit soapy in the dry-down.

Nefelli's avatar

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

I'm addicted to violets, discovering Violetta Di Parma was indeed like finding my HG.. I have worn it daily ( sometimes hourly) and yes, even ten minutely... since that fateful day 5 years ago. I'm faithful, loyal, I wanted this to be a lifetime relationship, really I did.

Its difficult to pin point the stages, top notes, a packet of Parma Violet Candies, the kind which made your tongue purple, quickly followed by roses after a rain shower, then beautiful powdery, sweet violets, delicate, innocent.........

Sadly it then vanishes into thin air on me. I don't think anyone has ever commented on it outside of my bedroom, or if they happen to be walking past as I spray it on from the lovely bottle. I don't think it has actually made it out of my front door.

If you adore Violets, and you are blessed enough to have the kind of skin which allows this to have a life of more than ten minutes, I envy you, it is truly beautiful.

New York for Gentlemen by Brooks Brothers

Props for the bottle -- it is a stunner. A very classy-looking item, like a sapphire.
    The juice is nice. It goes through various phases. The first is a brief but powerful citrus note, emphasis on plummy bergamot. Then we see an airy, white-shirt note: crisp, low-key, smells like a freshly-ironed shirt. This phase is most suitable for office wear. The dry-down reveals a very carefully modulated cumin note. Many times, I find cumin in a scent to be either very pongy (like male sweat) or else suggestive of chili. Here, it is just a nice woody spicy -- clearly cumin but not all over the place with that.
    This is a safe, somewhat conservative scent for guys. I can't imagine anyone disliking it to wear or to smell on others. It is not terribly original but it is well done.
    Rates a mild thumbs-up.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I'm new to the world of fragrance. I'm still learning all the different notes, what they mean, etc. Here's what I know: the olfactory system can stir up images/memories. When I sprayed this on my wrist, I liked the smell. I felt a sense of calm comfort. Yet...an image disturbed me. When I had my wife smell it later, she had the exact same reaction. She really liked the smell, but...it made us both think of our grandmothers. Not the reaction you want out of a cologne.

King Slender's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Wow... what -a- fragrance!! Yes, you are blasted in the face with a raging cherry opening - and the pyramid lists the top notes as fresh tobacco leaves. Funny thing is.. I don't really start to pick up tobacco until the drydown. The cherry def falls behind, and the vanilla ramps up in the heart. The bitter cacao is faint and the patch keeps the scent dry and on track with that tobacco accord. Longevity is supreme.. 9-10 hrs easy. Women do love this... and it is quickly climbing my favorites ladder.

Susbridget's avatar

Rush 2 by Gucci

All I can say about Gucci Rush II is : It's stunning. It's my daily perfume. It's unoffensive. It's a little mysterious. People ALWAYS ask what perfume I'm using as they think I smell delicious :) Always find it's a compliment when people you don't even know from Adam, want to know what perfume you use.

Bigsly's avatar

Discover by Juvena

Very similar to Samba Kiss Me for Men. Not sure which came first. Basically, it's highly blended so it comes across as one accord. There is citrus, woodiness, and spices, with moderate sweetness. It feels dense and smooth. If you are used to fragrances like Opium Pour Homme EdP, you might find this one a bit basic or uninteresting, but it's certainly not bad for the non-aficionado who wants something a little different than fresh, fruity, sporty, aquatic, super-sweet ones.

ad_scott's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky is a fine work of art which I love and treasure. The prominent notes are vanilla and lavender...more so vanilla which reminisces the smell of a warm creamy dessert served in an old Parisian brasserie (est. 1889). Overall Jicky has a highly idiosyncratic personality, there's a note in the bottle which gives me intense joy and delight; it could be the civet - not sure - it's like a dusty or soily note, but it shines out and mixed with the vanilla and lavender it's a case of: I've smelt this before and I love it but I can't put my finger on where or when. Timeless classic.

Oviatt's avatar

Dunhill Pure by Dunhill

When the much derided category of fresh/aquatic/sport scents is discussed, this one should be in the mix. It is a light, pleasant, synthetic, boring and forgettable. Underneath this boring purity is a slightly salty skin scent. Dunhill put this out the same year as Pursuit, (which is better, with its amber and spices) and appears to have forgotten about it. It was never marketed and it seems to have come and gone without any notice. Even Dunhill seems to have been bored with it. The best thing going is its re-use of the earlier Dunhill for Men bottle, this time in frosted glass. This is possibly the low water mark for this house, whose earlier classics ('34, Edition, Blend 30) are masterpieces and their later scents--Desire, Excentric, etc.--are decent. Dunhill is trying to regain some lost ground with their latest offerings (Custom, 51.3N, etc.) but they have a long way to go! I am wearing this as I write the review and after about two hours it is almost completely gone, although there is a slight lingering scent as if one had taken a bath with Mr. Bubble hours earlier.

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a pleasant, slightly synthetic-fresh smelling scent.
    It starts with a good crisp note which combines citrus, anise-basil, and peppery spice. This is the best part of the scent.
    It then develops a somewhat sweet, and "fresh" (synthetic) note. The scent is very cool, like air from a freezer. Gradually this synthetic side abates, and one is left with a light peppery spice sort of scent.
    Inoffensive, a fairly safe choice.

Oviatt's avatar

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This is supposed to be a unisex fragrance but it leans so far to the masculine that it would smell a bit strange on a woman. Despite the fine ingredients and deft use of citrus, this smells like Right Guard and testosterone. A high school locker room comes to mind--not in a bad way, just in a way that is jarring on a woman. On a man, this is a musky citrus with an herbal underpinning. There are spices in the basenotes--I smell cardamom and spices associated with Indian food. Imagine the captain of the football team, a fellow who eats a lot of curry, after a fierce workout in the heat. He is in the locker room, takes a shower, sprays on antiperspirant and heads out to class. But his shower was too short--his core body temperature is too high and he keeps pumping out a manly funk with a Tikka Masala twist to it. Then, as his body cools in the airconditioning of his next class, the scent soon fades away (this is a Goutal, after all). Not my cup of chai.

nightcutter's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

Tried this the other day.

Nothing special at all.

Smells like Pi by Givenchy but with a slight hint of tropical fruit (the mango?).

Anyway longevity, silage and projection are all poor. This is a skin scent.

Not worth owning IMO but it isn't horrid

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

If you like really clean and fresh colognes, this is better (less bad) than most. The soapy quality of it is not too unpleasant, not going too far into the "shower-fresh" territory of too many modern masculine fragrances. It's sort of an "updated" fougere type - it has that licorice-like fern note and vague hints of lavender (or perhaps it's the sage) and citrus.

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

Fruity, light and fresh. Not mature or traditional, but rather, like Swift herself, projects an image of youth and innocence. I don't know if this has enough sophistication for women over 30 to wear, but I can definitely recommend this to the younger crowed in their 20's. Overall, enjoyable: If I were a woman, I'd have this one in my collection. One of the better perfumes I've encountered.

Aqua Rush by Nautica

Typical Nautica release. It's fresh aquatic, a bit synthetic. It's not bad; it's decent, but truly, it is ho hum and boring. There are far better options for you if you are into aquatics. Someone who isn't serious about fragrance collecting may like this but for those who have tested a lot of fragrances, this one really doesn't stand out in any particular way.

Demond Wilson's avatar

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

I NEVER should have tried this cologne! Now I'm in trouble. This the best scent I have yet to come across. If I could make my own cologne it would smell just like this. I put the .07 ml sample on at 8:30am and it lasted all day. Then things get crazy, I woke up the next morning and worked out in the yard for 5 hours in 90 degree heat and humidity and at 5:00pm that afternooon I could still smell it! Now I just have to start looking around the house to see what I can find to sell so I can afford to buy a bottle.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Not your fresh fruity scent, but rather floral and powdery. It is light, rather than heavy, which works in its favor more than anything else. It is a scent that I don't mind and I like it a little. However, it is not something that is good enough to recommend.

Heidi Klum Shine by Heidi Klum

This perfume is titled Shine, and the overall smell certainly projects an image of sun shining. It feels bright and optimistic, but subtle at the same time. I like this fragrance, but it really doesn't separate itself from the other hundreds of perfumes out there. In the end, I don't think I would recommend it. It's overall well priced (much more affordable than most female fragrances), making a blind buy not too punishing if you don't like it. At the same time, this is one that you are probably better off sampling.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I am new to the fragrance world, so forgive me if my early reviews don't mention top notes, base notes, the "heart," etc.

I tried Tom Ford for Men yesterday, and it was an interesting experience. The scent started strong. I liked it, but it was "heavy." It felt warm to me...a good scent for a cold winter's day. Then I had my wife smell it, and she commented on the citrus and how it would make for a great summer scent. I did not smell what she did...and she did not smell what I did. This is the first time we've been so polar opposite of each other in an opinion on a cologne.

As the day wore on, I liked it more and more. I found myself putting my wrist up to my nose every half-hour or so just for a refresher. In all...the scent remained strong for over ten hours, and it wasn't until around hour eleven that I could tell that it was fading. Even into hours twelve and thirteen, a ghost of the scent remained (and I only sprayed my wrist once).

I am 33...and my first impression was that Tom Ford for Men was for a man slightly older than me. Not by much...maybe 35-40. As it cooled, I liked it more. I think I could wear it, but it would need to be for formal events. I really like the scent, but right now it's in my MAYBE list as I give it a few more tries (I have two samples of it).

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I SO badly wanted to love Lolita Lempicka. But all I got was a strong "insect spray" vibe at first. The licorice was there, but majorly overpowered by the 'poison'. I waited for something sweet and warm to reveal itself - but I was disappointed. The lasting lingering note was an acidic musty moss that sort of reminded me of lawn fertilizer. Perhaps my brand new .17oz mini had turned before I applied it? Or the EDP sprays are different? Maybe I need to go to a store and test a fresh tester before I make a final decision.

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

The more "sport" scents I try, the less I'm impressed. They all smell the same. There's nothing that stands out. Now...I teach eighth graders...so my room and our hallways reek of Axe all day, every day. These sport scents remind me of my hundreds of teenagers.

However...I'm a fairly "sporty" guy, so these kinds of colognes seem more...me. My wife likes these scents on me more than I do.

Initially, nothing stood out to me about Gucci Sport. It was weak, and brief. Then...on the last day of my sample, I re-applied it in the early afternoon. For some reason, the scent was stronger and sweeter than it ever had been before...and it lasted longer as well. When my wife came home, she kissed me hello...smelled me...gave a MMMMM...and kissed me harder.

That was unexpected.

So...I'm not ready to buy it, but I'm not ready to quit on it either. I think I'll give it another try when the weather warms up again in 2013.

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

Just nothing special about it. The scent is okay, but smells like a dozen others I've smelled. Nothing stands out. Nothing is unique. I forget about it as soon as it's on my skin.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I love Angel on a scent strip. It's positively sexy and juicy and mouthwatering. But on my skin, it's ONLY patchouli. I got this as a gift in the late '90s and wore it until I ran out. Maybe I'll try it again.

Prada Candy by Prada

Prada Candy was a blind buy for me, and I'm happy I took the gamble. I love sweet scents, and this is a grown up, more dressy and less "sticky" version of Pink Sugar. Candy is sweet, but also has a dry, powdery hint when first applied. It dries and lingers with a caramel and musk (?) vibe.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I wanted to not like this--mainly just because I hate the commercial. However, it sits really well on me. Fresh and citrus to start...clean and soapy as it airs. Normally, I don't like a "soapy" finish, but this is a pleasant smell. I liked it on my first wear (every counter I went to gave me a sample of it...I still have three sitting around), but didn't love it. Same with my second wear, even though it quickly became one of my wife's favorites of the samples I owned. On my third time wearing it, however, it really came to life for me. It's a scent I WILL own one day, though I have others on the list in front of it.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I really wanted to dislike Cool Water just because of its popularity. However, it's a very nice cologne for the summer. Like a mint in your mouth, it literally seems to cool and freshen the skin just by applying it. The scent is fresh and nice. I don't find anything spectacular about it, and I will probably never own it, but I enjoy the sample I have nonetheless.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

The first cologne I ever bought, before I really knew what I was doing (not that I'm much better now)...so maybe I'm a bit biased. I really like the way it sits on me--it smells the way I think a man in his lower 20s-upper 30s (when I bought it) should. Classy. It makes people say, "You smell nice," without being overpowering. This is my fall/winter date night scent.

Legend by Montblanc

This summer, I began to dab in the world of fragrances. When I walked up to the counter at Von Maur (sadly, the best place for fragrances anywhere near where I live), I said that I was looking for a summer scent that was "manly" and not "Axe-like." This was the first scent given to me on a card...and I was repulsed. All that hit me was alcohol. However, after reading a number of solid reviews, I gave it another try...and realized that I must have just been given a bad tester the first time...because the second time, I picked up citrus. It was clean and fresh. When I tried it on my wrist, it really opened up during the day--and I liked it even more.

Ground-breaking? No. But it's manly without being MANLY(!!) It really could be worn year-round, day or night.

Vintage by John Varvatos

I began reading up and trying fragrances a couple months ago. Vintage was one of the first scents I tried. It was, and still is, my favorite scent that I have worn to date. A nice, fruity smell to start. Turns into what I see as a classy man as it dries. Was the first scent that had me bringing my wrist up to my nose time and again for more. Lasted a good eight hours on me. When my wife smelled it, she liked it as well, but her first thought was of the holidays...so once the weather cools down a bit, this will be my next purchase.