Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Teach13's avatar

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

One of the most intriguing scents I've ever tried. It seemed like every time I smelled it, something had changed. It started fruity. Then turned spicy. Then soft and airy. Then clean and soapy (in a good way). Finally, over eight hours later, baby powder. This would be a perfect every day scent in the summer. Currently #2 on my BUY list, but will wait until the weather heats up in 2013.

Hojji77's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

I have for some time been an Aspen booster, for the same reasons that many others have noted: Nice GIT/Cool Water resemblances, unbeatable value for the money. However, I have been troubled in my last few wearings of it by something that oddly I had not noticed before--a major note of methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) midway through the drydown. While this is not in itself an objectionable smell, as a coach and athlete I can only associate wintergreen with muscle rub and sports liniments--not where I want to go in my frags.

I don't know if it's the weather, changes in my skin, or what, but this experience has tempered my appreciation of Aspen. If you don't get this note, or if it doesn't remind you of an athletic trainer's office, my neutral could be your positive.

drseid's avatar

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

I could go into great detail on individual notes with Patrick, but the bottom line is this smells nearly identical to Irish Spring soap. For those not familiar with the very popular brand, it is very green provided by gobs of fern at its heart with a mossy, musky base using vetiver and patchouli to provide a dirty undertone to the complete package. Patrick is very minimalist and extremely "masculine" smelling. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Patrick is probably going to be a bit of a "love it or hate it" kind of scent as your loving it depends greatly on whether you enjoy Irish Spring soap. I grew up using the stuff and always liked the scent so I guess I am in the "love it" camp. That said, Patrick is just a tad disappointing because if I wanted to smell like Irish Spring I would use the soap at an even lower cost than the relatively inexpensive $26 a 100ml bottle price of Patrick. On the flip side, if you are looking for a good compliment to the soap and want that scent reinforced for the whole day, then look no further as this is about as close as you will ever find. Patrick earns a "good" 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 and is recommended at its relatively low price point.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

To MY nose, this seems to be a good-quality fragrance, despite the fact it came from the same house that created that abomination, Kouros. And with that being said, it seems 2-dimensional to me, missing something, maybe TOP notes. Yes, that's it: it seems as if it is created entirely of middle and base notes. Maybe a good mandarin note would fix that.

13 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2013)

rttoronto's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I like L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme because it is not like the countless male scents drowning in the sea of fougères. It is complex, well constructed and with its feet in firm oriental territory.

I do think Maurice Roucel should share billing here since this is very a masculine version of the original L'Instant for women.

13 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2014)

jimmyfresno's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I understand the "gasoline" and "motor oil" comments about this fragrance, but they are painted with a delicate brush along with florals and green notes that are a continuous landscape of fragrance. It is very complex without ever being muddy. Sieuzac must have studied sweet woods, spice, herbs and musk and learned how to cover up the delicate turning point just at which they become blended and unrecognizable as individual components. I pick up some Iso E Super used in a way to smooth the whole concoction over into a watercolor of scent.

I have loved this fragrance since being in Europe in the late 70s when there was an advertising blitz. Yes, it was abused, but over 25 years later, I have just bought another bottle after being tired of it for a period.

knit at nite's avatar

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

Wonderstruck- I was not. But it is quite wearable, better composed and more balanced than some other celebrity scents I've tested, thanks to the nose Olivier Gillotin (who composed one of my favorite fig scents -Cristobal by Balenciaga). Wonderstruck has a touch of a fine-boned, feminine elegance, stays close to the skin and has 3-4 hour longevity on my skin. Although I won't be buying a bottle for myself, it was really nice to test a celebrity scent that had a little more sophistication than the usual ilk.

Lovescully's avatar

Z Zegna Fresh by Ermenegildo Zegna

Like Zegna's 'Z' this is a fruity and somewhat tart, yet still fresh scent. Despite its appearance and marketing (mine came in a 'wetsuit' type of sheath cover) it is not really an aquatic.

I really can't distinguish much of a difference between this 'Fresh' version and the original Z. Like the original, its longevity and sillage are not outstanding. In fact, this Fresh version is so much lighter than Z that I use it as an after shave base before wearing Z or Z Zegna Extreme.

Despite its sillage and longevity issues, the original Z is still one of my 'go to' choices when I can't really decide what else to wear. This Fresh version though seems like a complete waste of money. If you already have a bottle of Z, I would not bother with this at all. I only bought mine blind as I really enjoyed Z.

I'm giving this a neutral rating purely due to the very pleasant feeling I get from smelling this (while it lasts!).

MapOfTheWoods's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

I really wanted to dislike this fragrance right off the bat. The description says "minty/mineral fougère" which I immediately agreed with, but am not turned on by. I sprayed some on and allowed it to settle into my skin for a while. After an hour, I stopped and wondered just how this became such an interesting scent. I know I have smelled a few things like this before, but this seems to me a pretty original fragrance. This mint is not sharp, and it lasts throughout the entire life of the fragrance, automatically setting it apart from a few of the minty scents out there. The top notes remind me of 1 Million by Paco Rabanne (which I just don't like), while it calms down into something very fresh and clean. It does, from time to time, strike me as something I would smell from Creed, as it does have somewhat of a metallic hint to it. This is something I would recommend for the Autumn or Winter... pretty sure this would be rather cloying in the heat.
    This scent reminds me of being a young kid, and smelling the bathroom after my father and older brother took showers and brushed their teeth. Minty, clean, fragrant.
    I could not see this as a good "clubbing" or going-out scent, but I can see this as a "church" scent, or a meeting scent. One of the scents out there that can be classified as both classy AND casual. The longer it stays on my skin, the better it gets... projection = GREAT, longevity = a monster (9 to 10 hours on my skin), compliments = numerous ("you smell so clean!", and <sniff sniff> "Mmm!"). I guess I really do like this after fighting it for a while.

jimmyfresno's avatar

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

This scent had the potential to be very nice in the basenotes. However, why do all department store scents for men rely on an opening of the usual limonene, "oh, this is cologne" note? I realize they're trying to give an instant payoff to the impatient, but would they die if they opened with something original?

The fragrance is nice enough, it morphs into a spicy richness that is worth its $14 TJ Maxx price tag. But give some credit to your consumer audience, Coty, and give us something unpredictable.

rogalal's avatar

Calyx by Prescriptives

I imagine Prescriptives is what you'd get if you took a thin Mitsouko clone and ratcheted up the volume on the fake peach until it was a cheap-smelling fruity floral. More than anything, it reminds me of that Victoria's Secret peach scent that was so ubiquitous in the 90's, but with a sour dank green undertone that eventually blooms into a rather nice suede chypre base once that cheap, common-smelling peach finally shuts up and decides to play nice with the rest of the ingredients. This base is good enough to be a mitigating factor, but I just can't give a thumbs up to this, even if it was the first...

peter3731's avatar

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

An extremely classy and well-balanced perfume. it's got a feminine heart but it works for me. this is so not a t-shirt cologne - this cologne makes you want to dress better and think better, perhaps take up race-car driving or castle-collecting. they really did a marvelous job of blending the rose with the underlying patchouli and spice. a completely successful fragrance - and not too loud, either, it just gently becomes part of the flow of air around you.

MonkeyBars's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

An herbaceous woody oriental based around the balsamic-sweet yet resinous character of an overdose of benzoin. Powdery fragrance lovers must rejoice. The rest of us get the concept, but feel fairly browbeaten after 18 hours of potent unctuous sillage. Handle with care.

mnaonbn's avatar

The Party in Manhattan by The Party

The comparison to Mitsouko seems half fitting at best. Mitsouko is dark, dusty, spicy, and exceedingly about the oakmoss and PEACH accord. Conversely, Manhattan is bright, clean, sweet, and exceedingly about the oakmoss and JASMINE accord. In fact, to my nose, Manhattan has A LOT of jasmine in it...maybe even an overdose of jasmine. However, I do agree that it smells vintage, which I like very much. That vintage characteristic is likely the result of Manhattan's classic and really well-balanced chypre structure, as well as the fact that it is is comprised of all naturals. Ultimately, it smells rich, robust, elegant, and expensive—a high quality chypre indeed.

Full Incense by Montale

This Montale fragrance starts off warm, Cedar, Benzoine, and oud. There is a hint of pine sawdust present. Dry down isn't much different, more oud noticeable. I give it credit for being different from Montale's Oud/Rose formula present in many other offerings. It just isn't for me. I get the exact same smell when I put a drop of Oud oil, a drop of balsam oil, and 20 drops of Benzoine tincture in my incense oil warmer.

Wild Aoud by Montale

I am a fan of Montale House but this one is not one of their best. It starts out with fermented apple juice and oud. This lasts for 45 min, then settles down to Montales signature astringent oud. Didn't give it thumbs down b/c it does settle down after a while. Get Dark Aoud to jump right to the dry down of this.

Mrnybluesman's avatar

Granville by Christian Dior

Granville...Christian Dior.

The opening grabs you and makes you pay attention. The problem for me came in when the pine grew in stature. It is a well made scent with what seems to be top notch ingredients. It is just a bit too "green" for me. I give it a "thumbs up" because while it is not for me, it is well done and interesting. There is a place for this scent for people who enjoy this genre.

Projection and longevity seem fine on my skin.

Taj by Montale

I am a nurse and this fragrance applies as Band Aid brand Bandages. Medicinal citrus. I don't ever smell the tobacco, which would have saved it.

Swanky's avatar

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

To those looking for a classic subtle green and fresh fragrance: this is the quintessential example. Aromatic citrus and well-played moss combine for a long-lasting and smooth blend. One of the nice bargains out there for those who enjoy the old school but also like a daily fragrance.

Moon Aoud by Montale

Nothing special here. A little too floral for me. Montale Aouds generally have a dusty rose fragrance, this one has ...artificial floral? reminds me too much of room spray found in the dollar store. Stick with Black Aoud, or Dark Aoud,

JackTwist's avatar

Frangipanni by Lili Bermuda

This is without a doubt Lili Bermuda's finest fragrance. Heavy with the tuberose-like scent of Frangipanni, yet oddly as light as an ocean breeze - imagine a tuberose suntan lotion. The neroli is understated, as is the jasmine, but they support beautifully. The Patchouli and Sandalwood give it solidarity, but never intrude.

This dries down to a light amber rose reed that is still faintly redolent of the frangipani.
    Elegant and sophisticated.

I reviewed a dram of the perfume strength vintage from the 1950s-1960s. Still powerful after a half century.

Ten stars for this one.

psychoskip's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Great fragrance! Opens up with a sweet lemon note that is to be respected. Almost as if you sprinkled a pinch of sugar on a fresh lemon wedge. Drys down with a deeper, clean smell. Doesn't get much better than this for the price :).

Flower Wizard's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

. . . . . . EAU DE GRANNY . . . . . .

I tried this one after reading so many reviews that had it down as a glorious classic.

I went into House of Fraser and took a couple of puffs to the chest. It was immediately sweet and pure and quite upliffting.

Then, in about 10 minutes, the true horror of this thing decended on me, enveloping me in a vile, vanilla-powder miasma. I spent the rest of the afternoon searching the eyes of people in the same shop queues as me, or who were serving me, to see if I could read "young fogey" in their thoughts, as they evaluated the young man who looked relatively stylish, but smelt like their dear old grandmother.

I was totally self concious all the way home, on the train and through the streets, and kept myself away from other people where at all possible.

As much as I hated this stuff, it was depressingly faithful to me. 5 miserable stars for longevity.

My humiliation was complete a short while after I arrived home. Whilst standing in the kitchen, my son came in, pulled a gas face, and said "eugh, you smell like an old woman." And you know what? He was spot on. This is the bottled escence of working class granny style. This perfume is a sister to little, tacky ornaments, polyester dresses, blue rinsed hair, and doilies . . .

. . . RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!

dena's avatar

Under The Arbor by CB I Hate Perfume

This is much sweeter than I thought it would be. With the images of an ivy-covered arbor, I was expecting something more green. I disagree with the previous reviewer about the mint, but otherwise I'm on board with his assessment. This is a floral but almost smells synthetic to me, like a laundry detergent, or air freshener.

Not for me.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Le B by Agnès B

This review is for the new 2007-version: My first impression, after a whole day wearing this organic fresh-scent: If I didn't already know, i would absolutely guessed it was by Olivia Giacobetti. This is so much her, no doubt about it. I would say it smells like a mix of Honore des Pres "I love Les Carottes" + "Bonte's Bloom" AND her masterpiece "En Passant" by Frederic Malle. With small dash of vintage Tilleul. If that makes any sense? Either way, i can highly recommend it to all Olivia.G-fans, who loves her fresh, subtle, organic-feel scents for L'Artisan & Honore des Pres, and Malle.

Demond Wilson's avatar

Back to Black by By Kilian

Musky log cabin fireplace. That was my first reaction when I put it on. I hoped it would change but no. The smell remined me of the way a log cabin fireplace smelled that I stayed in last fall.

alfarom's avatar

Dry Wood by Ramon Monegal

With Norlimbanol proudly listed among the notes (the infamous aromachemical by those guys at Firmenich that is present in way too many masculine fragrances of the past 10 years including, Kokorico, Potion, Assolo, Opus V, Zadig & Voltaire Tomes series ecc. ecc.), all you can expect from the fragrance is sharp woods and the typical dry woody-ambery-incensey aroma of this ingredient. With this in mind, Dry Wood delivers exactly what he promises. A modern dry-woody citrus with peppery undertones and with an EXASPERATING lasting power. Norlimbanol smells great but it sadly tends to become extremely overpowering to the point to kill almost everything else in the composition. I'm personally not a fan of these type of fragrances, but if you like stuff a-la Mister Marvelous, go ahead...

Beauxbatons13's avatar

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

Volupte is fairly green, powdery, and vanilla. It opens as a very fresh juicy floral, goes into woods, and then whispers along the skin as a powdery amber and vanilla.

THEREALJWIL's avatar

John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos

I happen to disagree with the longevity on some of these reviews. If you spray it once...you will get what you get from the one spray...not much!
    If you do about 4 solid sprays of it wherever you please you should get through a dinner and a movie with ease with it still around. It is not a projecting juggernaut by any means but i guarantee that whomever is with you after that dinner and movie will enjoy the smell of your neck in close quarters. If you are looking for something you can sweat and its still there or to get you through a day of work...dont get this one. If you are looking for a winter frag with a quality scent to go on a date ....get it. i dont think you will be disappointed.

14 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2012)

calilove's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

ive had this for a week already. my family hates its my friends say i smell like a girl but i love it!!!!!! it reminds me of summer days eating orange vanilla ice cream. i dnt see this as a dating scent or work scent this is just for me my personal guilty pleasure its so sweet and creamy. i can see how some people dnt like it cuz it smells feminine but if your comfortable with yourself and into fruity scents this is a must

14 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)