Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

döfä91's avatar

Finland Finland

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

I have a bottle of the old formula named "Eau de Rochas POUR Homme" and a bottle of the new formula "Eau de Rochas Homme". Both are great citrus fragrances and they are quite similar to each other, in this case the reformulation has not spoiled the fragrance. I get a bit softer and more comforting smell from the older version, but it's longevity is worse.

All in all, best citrus i have tried so far hands down, very comforting, relaxing fragrance full of warmth. Usually i don't need to spray more than 2-4 sprays but with this particular fragrance 6 is not too much. Only phase where i don't like it is when spraying - for some seconds it's too harsh. Yet, very soon settles to radiate peaceful and soothing citrus-woody tones and one can smell woody notes, myrrh, resin and oakmoss, really enjoyable. It must be the combination of myrrh and lime (like some other reviewers wrote) which causes this to be so good - a brilliant idea from the creator of this scent, Giles Romey of Quest International.

17th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st April, 2014)

rogalal's avatar

MIA Miami by The Scent of Departure

Oh gack! There's so much wrong with this perfume that I don't even know where to start....

It kicks off with citrus, but it's that fake, artificially sweet kind that reminds me of Tang. But it's really concentrated and somehow warm. I can tell that they wanted it to be rich, but the result is the smell of putting your face into a steamy hot canister of 1970's Tang powder and deeply inhaling the sweet fake orange powder.

Then there's the greens. There's tomato leaf, and if you've ever smelled tomato leaf extract, you know it has an undertone of bile smell that needs to be carefully subdued if you don't want your perfume smelling like someone threw up. Well, MIA doesn't bother hiding it, so the overpowering Tang smell is sitting on a thick pool of tomato leaves and barf. Oh, and they threw in some fennel too, which gives the Tang barf a distinct onion smell.

Then, in what I assume is a cruel joke, they smelled their Tang onion barf and said "what can we do to make this slightly more unsettling?" So, in a clever twist, they put the whole thing over a candy-sweet "fruit-chouli" marshmallow base, so it has a weirdly dense rich sweetness that makes the onion Tang barf smell even more disgusting through juxtaposition.

Sweet candied onion Tang barf!!!

St. Louis's avatar

Occur! by Avon

I just received a tiny half-full sample bottle of Occur, probably something an Avon lady used as a demonstrator in the early 1970s. What a great, gutsy fragrance! I adore all chypres, and I'm going to find some more of this as soon as I can. Occur strikes me as a perfect, classic vintage chypre: woody, smoky, resinous, sharp, animalic, not too floral. Just beautiful.

Too bad it's been discontinued, but ... it would have had to be reformulated anyway.

Berlynnvintage's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

this Perfume is a migraine in a bottle. I first smelled a sample of this in a magazine and I now understand why the mag came in a bag. It's an indelible, soapy, gagging fragrance that resulted in the mag going in the trash.
    The absolute worst fragrance I've ever smelled.

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

A fresh, bright an clean citrus fragrance that is tempered with a bit if cedar that comes in a later but always remains in the background. The opening is calm and lacks the intensity of a blast that characterizes, for instance, Eau d'Orange Verte. Gradually fading, I get a bit more than an hour out of it, which is better than other citrus compositions on me. A beautiful summer scent.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

After reading quite a few reviews, I thought I would really like this one. I wanted to...I tried...but I just couldn't get past the extended opening. Many describe it as freshly cut grass, but on my skin at least, it came off as cut grass that had "soured" in the sun for a while. A sharp, spoiled, almost "old lady" smell lurking in the background. I gave it a chance, even though the first hour wasn't pleasant for me and smelled sharp and slightly feminine.

Upon transition into dry-down, the sourness did fade a bit, and a nice, soft hint of blueberry did come into play for me (as others have described). Unfortunately, this just isn't enough for me, as I really want my fragrances - especially ones in this price range - to be highly enjoyable the whole way through. Not a "bad" fragrance by any means, just not something that "works" for me.

jfrater's avatar

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

I just bought a 50ml bottle of this perfume and I have to say it is one of the finest perfumes I have ever smelled. I bought it without knowing what it would be like (merely because of the fact that it is meant to be a recreation of a 1390 perfume) and I am definitely not disappointed.

It is very sweet and floral - definitely tending more towards the feminine than masculine. Nevertheless I am happy to wear it. It has incredible longevity on clothing - after eight hours it is still almost as strong on my shirt as when I sprayed it this morning. On my skin it is less long lasting but it is definitely still there.

I can't recommend this enough - it is likely to be my fragrance of choice from now on (replacing Amouage's Tribute and Chanel's Pour Homme). Oh - incidentally, the perfumer who recreated this is Laura Tonatto.

Sélection Verte by Creed

There is not much to add to the previous reviews, just that on me the citrus freshness dominates initially. Later a rich green freshness develops that reminds me of walks in sunny grass lands with whiffs of mint that lacks any synthetic spearmint notes; it is more like mint in the field and on me remains in the background. At times towards the end a smidgen of wood appears, not that of trees but more like he underwood of bushes. The quality of the natural ingredients is amazing. Limited silage and reasonable projection, I get about 1 1/2 hours of longevity on me, which is not bad for this type of scent A classic blend for warmer days.

Jill Merrell's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I agree with chezlulu. The scent dissipates on my skin. Nice for an hour and it's gone, especially when it's hot and humid.

hickorysmoke's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

The opening is a lemon blast that I'm not crazy about, however after about 15 minutes it dies down and a yummy vanilla sugar takes over. Some describe it as cotton candy and I did have that thought initially.

Scent-imental's avatar

Rock Muse by Miss Sixty

I love this fragrance, its deliciously zesty citrus and spicy, and i love that i get the citrus and spice together.
    It opens with Bergamot, grapefruit, And gooseberry amongst others, but what a lovely zesty opener, which for me almost immediately morphs into the tea at the heart, and i am a big fan of tea, being english. There's jasmine and rose at the heart too, but i don't get those enough to dislike it, as i have yet to find a rose i like, and idon't like jasmine at all! And then of course, down deep and dirty we've got the patchouli, the sandalwood and vetiver! And a bit of musk thrown in for good measure. My favourite frags almost all have patchouli in common, i have noticed, since exploring Basenotes most excellent resources. There's also apparently Basmati rice at the base, can't say i get much of that.

I love to layer this with AG Myrrhe Ardente too, i love the deep smoky churchy AG, alongside the zesty citrus spicy lift, it's lovely. I wouldn't give it too much of a thumbs up for sillage, but the longevity on me is pretty good.

And it's cheap, so i can spray it on very liberally. It's not one that i've had many compliments on, but i wear my fragrances to please myself. If i took notice of what people said about my fragrances, i'd have thrown my "old lady" perfumes out long ago. THis is most definitely not an old lady perfume though, it feels young and refreshing to me, and not annoyingly fruity floral like a lot of stuff i smell on young girls these days.
    Definitely a thumbs up, and worth a try if you like a citrus and tea combo

Khaibit108's avatar

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Maybe it's just my body chemistry, but I definitely don't smell any of the notes that are actually supposed to be in this thing. To me, it starts off as an okay, generic, sweet floral - for about two seconds. I can't pick out anything specific initially. Then it becomes a minty nightmare mishmash of what smells like tuberose and toothpaste, and it stays that way until it fades off some hours later. From other reviews, I expected it to maybe smell like sweat/cumin/body odor, but I get pungent, syrupy toothpaste. It's so nasty and weird that it's kind of amusing.

glitteralex's avatar

Epris by Max Factor

Review is for the pure perfume, from a previously unopened vintage bottle. Dark color indicates oxidation although there is no evaporation.

A sweet and boozy entrance, with lots of Benzoin, Carnation, & Jasmine, blends seamlessly into a mincemeat pie of spices-Cinnamon, Nutmeg, powdered Ginger- enveloped in Damascan rose, all anchored by what I am sure is natural Beeswax and Patchouli. The collision of notes calms nicely within about 15 minutes, when Oakmoss serves as the canvas for muted versions of the previously screaming notes. A beautiful perfume for the holidays.

Despite the designation as a Chypre, I do not get any citric notes in the top; perhaps they are degraded in my bottle.

The longevity and concentration are insane; a mere drop lasts close to a day. At $10 for a mini of perfume, this is not to be missed!

msveronica9's avatar

Joop! Berlin by Joop!

Outrageous eBay prices for this scent compelled me to snap up a mini at the first opportunity. Curiosity now sated. Berlin is an 80s style fruity floral (ie. lashings of juicy stone fruits over sweet white florals). There's also an alleged 'caramel' note in this composition, but it's not very evident to me.

I actually don't mind Berlin for this style of fragrance. It's not as overpowering as other 80s nose-busters, and the drydown is really quite lovely. However, it doesn't smell unique: I'm sure, somewhere in my collection, I've got at least one smellalike 'twin' for Berlin.

According to Fragrantica, Berlin and Senso by Ungaro share many of the same notes. They don't smell exactly the same (I did a side-by-side comparison), but if you know what Senso smells like you'll get an idea of Berlin.

Scent-imental's avatar

Obsession by Calvin Klein

This is the most disgusting thing i have ever smelled, that had the temerity to call itself perfume. It's awful, and smells like Mr. sheen furniture polish, and it makes me nauseous. When i hear a man say, that he likes Obsession on a woman, my eyebrows lift clean off the top of my head in shock.

I cannot find one good thing to say about it, other than, thank God i haven't got any. I could spray furniture polish on my neck and wrists, and smell exactly the same.

As for the notes? There are notes? I can't abide the stench of it, so detecting notes is impossible, the whole just blends into a Mr. Sheenesque cloud of toxicity, that makes me want to pick up a duster, and put an apron on, and go polish a table.

Truly a horrible scent, in my opinion.

Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford

This is a unique fragrance, at times a bit cloying even in colder temperatures, but at the same time quite interesting. The opening blast is a bit sharp, shrill but dark, with smoky dark floral notes breaking through based on violet with a bit of jasmine and patchouli in the background. It becomes sweet, like overripe bananas, but also acidic with a synthetic note obvious at times initially. Its floral character is always heavy and dark, like violets in a forest without lights. After a few hours this scent mellows and the competing notes merge more convincingly. Silage is big, strong projection and the longevity of nine hours is brillant. Apply sparingly.

drseid's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

As Idole de Lubin edt smells so nearly identical to the edp that I have already reviewed in detail, I won't re-write the same review again here. What I *can* say is that both versions are tremendous releases easily worthy of purchase, especially for fans of boozy and spicy scents. If you own one, however, buying the other is not necessary, IMO. Projection and longevity for the edt are both below average.

In comparing the edt and edp versions I slightly prefer the edp version of Idole for its moderately longer longevity (not that it does not have its own problems in that area to some degree) and my personal preference for its more streamlined bottle (both bottles are works of art though)... Other than that and the edp's slightly sweeter amber base the two really are so similar you could swap the them without most anyone noticing. Idole edt gets a near masterpiece rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 and a strong buy recommendation if you don't already own the edp.

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Ill probably never buy another fragrance like this, but will always have a bottle of this!
    Its fresh-warm-just a little sticky, but it doesnt get cloying love the patchouli+rose+cumin, which i really like for this type of scent, well blended by the house of MFK, my next purchase will be Cologne Soir from MFK!

Puts Voleur de Roses (yucks) and most patchouli+rose combination to shame,except for
    Yosh's Sombre Negra which is just divine.

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

nothing noteworthy, jean claude ellena - if they think that this name can sell anything - then they need to reconsider their position in the perfume industry, its not bad - but very forgettable fragrance.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Chez Bond is often compared to Creed's Green Irish Tweed and Davidoff's Cool Water, both released years before.

Chez Bond doesn't open with the fresh delicious lemon note that GIT opens with, but rather starts out a little similar to GIT's drydown. It later evolves into a creamy tea fragrance, but still keeping that similarity to GIT in the drydown.

CB easily beats Cool Water at opening, however Cool Water's synthetic opening gets much better an hour later in the drydown. And at that point, both of them are near-identical in quality.

And let's be honest, most people (but not all) standing two feet away from you won't see a significant difference between the three (an hour after applied). CW is a bit sharper and heavier. CB is a bit creamier and smoother, but generally they are similar.

Chez Bond finds itself in a dilemma. At $200 in price, it is outmatched in value at both ends. For under $40, you can buy Cool Water, which is near-identical in quality. Or, if you are going to pay niche price anyway, you can buy Green Irish Tweed, which is a much better overall scent.

Chez Bond, in my opinion, is not niche quality, but rather upper-designer quality. It would have been better priced at $100 rather than $200. And in that case, I would have given this a positive review and a higher score. Also, for the fact, that this is blatantly unoriginal.

Overall, in and of itself, it is a very good fragrance, but I would not recommend (for most people) buying because there are better alternatives that are more reasonably priced.

Rating: 7.5/10

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

The opening immediately reminds me of Kouros, but not with the controversial notes that people complain smell of urine and sweat. This is more of a clean version of Kouros. Sweet, boozy, spicy, musky. It is marketed as unisex, but I feel it is masculine. It is strong and projects well, even if this scent is easy to get olfactory fatigued to.

The only problem? Ridiculously overpriced.

Very good scent, but not a great scent. Safe, masculine and subtle, but definitely nothing groundbreaking or extremely original.

I like Cooper Square quite a bit, but I don't think it is worth a price tag of $200. That is in the same way that I really like YSL's Rive Gauche, but I don't think it is worth a price tag of $200. If Cooper Square were priced at <$100, I would easily recommend this for a collection, but since it is grossly overpriced, avoid this one.

Rating: 6.5/10

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

This is harsh, shrill, way too strong. This smells like something an old woman would wear. Too feminine for a man. And, no young woman would want to smell like this.

And as for Oud? I didn't get any Oud out of this. Synthetic agarwood, probably a little of that? Just one of many fragrances that say they have Oud in it to justify a high price. And a significant portion of the fragrance community will buy it just to feel exclusive.

If you know me, you know that I RARELY give negative reviews to scents, because, to me, most scents are good, very good or just okay - rarely terrible. In this case, NY Oud proved to me that it is a such possibility that a fragrance, a work of art, can be outright nasty.

To add insult to injury, this is insanely overpriced, at well over $200 for a bottle. I wouldn't pay $50 or even take it if it were free.

Jana S's avatar

Muguet 2012 by Guerlain

I little bit disappointed by 2012 version, based on perfume description I expected more. There is nothing distinctive or unique about this perfume. It is however different then popular modern perfumes.
    The first sniff reviles the freshness, which I like but it disappears within seconds. Next note is brief and harsh chemical smell of lily of the valley followed by somewhat soapy, powdery lily of the valley note. Middle note is OK, it has distinctive lily of the valley note with hint of fresh and green leafy note. Base note is more rose then jasmine and it smells a bit heavy to me but it lasts almost all day.
    Lilly of the valley is my flower, but this perfume does not take my breath away as old version of Mitsouko did.

Jana S's avatar

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

White moss eau the cologne is really nice and simple fragrance. In my opinion it is the skin scent and des not smell the same on different people. It smells very different on me then on my son. When I use it I can smell typical fresh smell of the men’s cologne, but on my son smells divine. It is a clean and soft musk almost as good as real moschus from the seventies (if someone remembers).
    One needs to try and decide if White moss suits him or her.
    Good musk fragrance is almost impossible to find and I haven’t found one yet.

I Love New York for Him by Bond No. 9

I rather enjoy ILNYFH, finding it to be a clean, sophisticated scent. Definitely reminds me of something more suited to a business professional and perhaps a 30+ scent. I do agree with some other reviews that it isn't necessarily an "original" scent, so I can see how many would opt for a somewhat similar, yet cheaper option from Hugo Boss or the like. Still, this doesn't change the fact that, for me, it smells really nice and I could picture wearing this for a dressier day-time event. I didn't find it overpowering by any means, and in my experience so far with Bond, thought it had average strength and projection in comparison to many others.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

As recent reviewers have stated, it's difficult at this point to state anything new or original about GIT. Regardless of what's been said, and its near legendary status here on BN, the average person (at least here in the midwest of USA) has never heard of GIT, CREED as a whole, let alone smelled ANY of their fragrances. It's easy to get the feeling here on BN that it's incredibly common or almost cliche to own and enjoy GIT. Trust me, 99% of the population either can't, or won't spend over $100 on a cologne, regardless of how good it smells, so I can assure you that if you're concerned about smelling "common" wearing GIT, you won't. Period. You'll smell fresh, classy and all around GREAT, and people around you will take notice, whether they say anything or not!

Also, while it draws plenty of comparison to Cool Water and Aspen (which I also own and enjoy in their own right) - and fairly so - they really aren't even in the same class in the long run. GIT is richer, brighter, fresher, classier, more natural smelling and MUCH longer lasting, with a dry-down to put the other 2 to shame. It's simply in a whole different class. All I know is having owned and sampled hundreds of colognes over the years, I've never really found a cologne that rivals the way GIT smells on me and make me feel.

It's pure and simple one of my favorite colognes - Fresh, Clean, Masculine, Refined, Classy, INCREDIBLY versatile, maybe even a bit sexy - and I never grow tired of it (which I eventually do with most other fragrances eventually). I truly gain a new appreciation for it EVERY time I wear it and will always have it as a mainstay in my collection and rotation. I'm not one to "crown" any particular fragrance as my "signature scent", but if I did have to pick one for this purpose, I wouldn't hesitate at this point in time to say GIT would win the honor.

Oscroft's avatar

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

I've only sampled this, and, well, it's just wrong.

The notes sound intriguing, and I welcome any attempt to redefine the smell of green. and there actually are some captivating green notes in this. But the opening notes were pretty discordant, though I allowed it quite some time to develop.

And what's that massive overdose of calone all about? (And why is calone never mentioned in the notes pyramid? It's the most dominating note by far). Do they want to redefine greenness but not risk offending the Cool Water crowd? Or is it purely aimed at looking adventurous to the aforementioned aquatic fanboys?

No, for me this just doesn't work - largely because I hate the modern calone fixation.

Possum-Pie's avatar

New York Amber by Bond No. 9

I tried many Bond no. 9 scents, and honestly, nearly all of them had an underlying chemical smell that gave me a headache. I really wanted to like NY Amber, and tried it several more times. I don't notice the chemical smell in NY Amber, or at least not much, and LOVE this scent. It starts out just about how it ends up on me. Amber, saffron, sandalwood. It keeps a sharp amber note all along. Like most Bond fragrances, NY Amber has incredible longevity, sillage, and projection. waking though an office, you leave a "wake" of fragrance behind you. Bond fragrances are expensive, but last hours and hours, so don't need to be reapplied.

AromaX's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Gucci Première by Gucci

I'd say - try it on your skin before you buy and don't let the advertising to tempt you. To my nose it doesn't smell anything what is claimed. No champagne, no white flowers, no leather. At least not as I know them through my own experience. I smell a very big purple raspberry "fruit" cooked into a jam with a lot of sweet white musk (somehow the image similar to what I get from The Body Shop Raspberry line). It's very dense and sticky and suffocating to me. But definitely give it a try it if you like the modern fruity-musky tendency (I smell it a lot in Celebrity scents). In that genre it's pretty good - rounded, has a good volume and free from unpleasant aberrations. But only if you like the fruity jams.

Khaibit108's avatar

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

A lot of fragrances don't last long on me, especially EdT's, but I've never had one with less longevity than this one. It started out as a sweet, basic, watery rose. Pretty, but nothing special. Then it was gone, in literally less than a minute. I couldn't even smell a base. There are a lot of really nice rose scents out there with a lot more staying power than this one. If you do want this one, I'd recommend seeking out the EdP at the very least. There are similar and longer-lasting scents in both the higher and lower price ranges. It does layer well with some rose soliflores, but even a "reasonable" mainstream price is too much to pay for something you have to all but bathe in before it's noticeable.