Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

d4N13L's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Kiss Him by KISS

As a lover of 60s,70s and 80s Rock Songs (who can dislike their ballads?) I should own a Kiss fragrance. Kiss, what a commercial band!
    I was expecting trash for a high price, but, contrariwise, i got a good fragrance for such a bargain!
    Its a sweet yet fresh oriental spicy fragrance, with lots of cinnamon and cumin, some lavender, tonka and maybe some sweet vanilla, in the veins of Le Male (specially the Terrible version.)
    A very appealing fragrance, marketed to Kiss Fans (ranging from 15 to 50 years old?).

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

This is just...interesting. It starts out kind of sweet and fruity, then the leather and immortelle come through. The drydown smells almost like peanut butter. It's kind of pleasant and kind of revolting at the same time. The sillage and longevity are perfect on me - others can smell it when they're nearby, but it's not loud. Very few fragrances last a long time on me, but this is one of them. There are definitely days when I'm in the right mood to wear it, but there aren't many of them. If leather and immortelle are your thing, you'll probably really like this. If they're not, you won't.

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

When I first put this on, I could distinctly smell the pomegranate, and a woody note. It was okay, but very weak, and then it was gone. Many scents don't last long on me, but this one disappears almost immediately.

Rose by Santa Maria Novella

This is one of the best rose scents I've tried. It's a very sweet, sparkling, sugary rose - you can almost taste sugar when you wear it. It lasts all day, with moderate sillage. If you know what Shiseido's White Rose smells like when you first put it on, this is somewhat similar, minus the powdery/ashy base. This scent barely changes from the moment you put it on. If you're looking for something complex, look elsewhere. If you want something simple, elegant, and exceptionally pretty, this is a great one to try.

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

This smells a lot like Tauer's Une Rose Vermeille to me, with a little less sillage and staying power. It still sticks around for awhile though. It is one of the better rose scents out there, and it's incredibly affordable. The tonka bean note makes it sweet and creamy without being cloying. I normally dislike anything remotely gourmand, but this comes together in such a smooth and pretty way that it doesn't have a gourmand feel.

tropicalstorm's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I got this perfume recently online (blind buy) after reading glowing reviews about it. That it is a classic and a "perfection" of an earlier classic (Paco Rabanne Pour Homme) got me very interested.

The first couple of sprays and it transports you straight to paradise. Like a well made firecracker that erupts over the Thames on new year's eve, this perfume actually starts off with spontaneous, very beautiful, distinct accords. The beauty of the opening is that a million riots open up just in front of you and you know each note is different, natural and very smooth.

That having said, the perfume does get linear after the top notes settle down. I could not make out the middle notes from the base notes. This is not altogether a big flaw; just that I was expecting an olfactory feast in stages after such a bang of an opening.

The perfume starts out as a Ferrari but loses much of it's horsepower along the way. On me it lasts less than 6 hours and the dry-down is pretty much weak. Will I buy it again? Definitely. Just wish it would last all day.

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2012)

kokonut's avatar

Guerlain Homme L'Eau by Guerlain

So glad I bought this. Today it was hot as hell outside and I had a lot of compliments, my girlfriend said I smell nice and she noticed it from quite a distance. Then her mother said don't go, You smell so good =) Projects sooo nicely in hot weather. Great!

The best from the whole "homme" line. This contains a mojito vibe but has also a lemonade feeling.

To me it smells like water with lemon and mint plus a bit of mojito and the woody vetiver base. It also has a green-like feeling. Freakin awesome and I finally found my signature scent. Cool!

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2012)

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Sombre Negra by Yosh

This review is for the 2011 reformulated version :

Its the smell of the earth! in the light of the nocturne; smokey but rich yet grounded,herbal yet unmedicinal,boozy yet sober, warming but unclosing, the retrograding juxtapositions apart - its quite simply, one of the best/most orignal scent that i have smelled, longevity and sillage is both very good, my only complain is the size; would have been best if this was offered in 100ml than the sole 50ml.

The offset-note, on the patchouli is just brilliant!

I hope that YOSH releases, a few flankers so that i may find the excuse to dig into them.

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2012)

rbaker's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

The light peppery note with bay and orris open the gambit, and then the woody note with very nice discreet amber join the game. A bit of vetiver is thrown in, and a smidgen of leather. The drydown is wood and incense. Beautiful quality of the components that are very well blended. Is retreats very quickly though and stays very close to my skin, with wood and a bit of amber dominating rewards the end. Poor silage and limited projection on me, but good longevity of over three hours. A classic, rich but discrete, with class and beauty.

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2012)

fit&frag'd's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

While I haven't tested out all of Bond's more masculine fragrances yet, New Haarlem has definitely been one of the stand-outs thus far. It's rich, layered and as most people who have worn Bond already know, projects and lasts extremely well. It leaves little doubt that it's of high quality. This one moves into the mid notes almost immediately for me, with a strong blast of coffee, and then lingers there for many hours. The syrupy, coffee mix really never completely wears off on my skin until I shower and scrub it off.

While there is a degree of bitterness in the coffee note to my nose, the wood, amber and vanilla do seem to balance it out fairly effectively for the most part. I have to admit, even though I've never been that heavily into gourmands, and am NOT a big coffee fragrance fan, I did genuinely appreciate catching whiffs of this one projecting around me when I wore it. I found it classy and pleasant, and could easily see myself wearing this (albeit in small doses) during a nice, cold-weather night out. Unfortunately, my wife said NH gave me an "old man" smell that she didn't appreciate nearly as much, so it doesn't look like a future purchase on my end. Looks like I'll be staying with the lighter/softer, older brother "Rochas Man" for me.

Edit: I've had to change my rating from neutral to positive. Even though it may not be one of my wife's favorites on me, I found this to really bloom even more once I was finally able to wear it in cooler weather. It's just so well done and sticks in my head, drawing me back to wear it more and more frequently. Truly one of Bonds best and a top notch gourmand IMO. It's turned me from someone who never really gave gourmands much attention, to quite preferring them in the cooler weather now.

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Melon, guava, burst of citrus, margarita, sea breeze and gourmand notes. How could this go wrong?

The opening is shrill and harsh, far too much citrus. The scent, in all fairness, does improve after an hour, but never to the point where I would consider recommending it or buying it.

Bond tried to go for an island vibe, but it has to be done in a convincing manner, rather than a hodge-podge mix of ingredients.

This is overpriced for what you get. For $200, this, at least in my opinion, isn't worth it. It is designer quality at a niche price. If this were sold at retail for under $100 (a price that is good enough for Dior/Chanel/Hermes/Mugler), it could become a classic (or at least a cult classic).

18 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2012)

Escada Homme by Escada

This was odd. The first image that came to mind upon the first spray on my skin was of the '80s. Instantly, the entire room screaming that decade...which wasn't pleasant to me. As it calmed down, however, it grew on me a bit. The heart bloomed into a nice, flowery smell, but that '80s vibe stayed with it throughout the nine hours I could still pick it up on my skin.

This sucker fills a room!! I sprayed each wrist once, and my wife smelled it all day every time she entered the room. She liked it better from that distance, but never cared for it on me. "It reminds me of playing with my grandma's perfume as a kid," she said (which would have been in the '80s.

I had to laugh, because just seconds before that, I realized that the scent reminded me of my grandpa as a child--which would have been in the '80s.

I give it a neutral because there's nothing wrong with Escada pour Homme...it just doesn't work for me.

drseid's avatar

Vanille Fleur by Martine Micallef

Vanille Fleur opens with a very sweet vanilla that is not of the powdery nor bean variety, coupled with a nice natural rose note that never upstages the sweet vanilla, but does not play second fiddle either. This rose resembles the rose in By Kilian's Rose Oud to some degree; straight forward and somewhat "feminine" but unsullied and pleasant. In the scent's heart a peach note emerges to mingle with the sweet vanilla and rose duo to form a trio that remains through the end of the scent, with the vanilla taking more of the sole starring role in the later stages of the dry-down. Projection is average and longevity is above average.

Vanille Fleur is a beautiful scent that is just as much about the rose as it is about the vanilla. The scent is relatively minimalist and linear, with just three notes really making an appearance. As such, you would think the scent might be a bit too thin or unbalanced, but actually it works rather well and the peach used as support is extremely well-implemented here (unlike another rose scent I recently tried, Rose Etoile de Hollande by the late great Mona di Orio). Vanille Fleur is quite on the "feminine" side of the spectrum and most likely will work better on a lady, but either sex can indeed pull this one off. If there is anything that is a bit off-putting here, the sweetness is a bit over-done to my personal taste but admittedly it is no sweeter than other Micallef scents like Gaiac. My guess is that sweet scent lovers will be mighty impressed with this effort and other folks will be too. Vanille Fleur is yet another winner from one of the most consistently superb houses around and earns an excellent 4 out of 5 stars.

Izzie's avatar

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

This is, to me, the ultimate clubbing fragrance.

It's clean yet dark and sultry. Sexy but playful. It's berries with the depth of amber and patchouli. A little incense-y but in a light, clean way.

It reminds me of a night out. You've gotten all pretty, you're sitting in a bar with some fruity girl-drink or another, about to hit the dance floor, on top of the world and loving it.

It's not very versatile though, I wouldn't wear this as an everyday frag. It just puts you in a party mood.

It does what it's supposed to very well, works perfect as a night-out scent for a young woman. It's fairly strong so don't overdo it.

fit&frag'd's avatar

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

Out of the half dozen Bonds I've tested thus far, RD is definitely one of the best for me. While I did enjoy New Haarlem, Riverside Drive is just the more versatile performer. This one requires a delicate balance for me, as any amount of over-spraying can become too powerful and a bit cloying due to it's sweet background. This is one powerful scent on me, and generally 1 full spray to the neck (or half to the chest or back of neck and half to the front) does the trick, giving me good projection and longevity for a good majority of the day. Any more and it's just too much.

When it's applied properly, I find it a pleasant, unique and classy scent. The funny thing is, I've seen this one compared to nearly a dozen other high quality (and well reviewed) scents, all of which are fairly different in their own right. To me, a fragrance that can draw all of those comparisons, yet still retain its own unique character shows something. Personally, I find RD of high quality, classy, well blended and relatively unique. I can't say it's perfect by any means, as the underlying sweetness can easily take over and become distracting or cloying if given the chance, but the right amount of application should leave most people in the wake of a gentle, pleasant, fresh & masculine aroma. I look forward to getting my hands on a small bottle in the near future.

mielr's avatar

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

I hate to say it, but this fragrance smells cheap. I smell neither gardenia nor tuberose. I have a HUGE gardenia bush in my yard, so I am well acquainted with the scent of the flower and I have also worn some of the most faithful gardenia-based scents (Jungle Gardenia, Gardenia Passion) and some of the best tuberose-based scents (Blonde, Fracas) and this scent is not in the same league. This fragrance has a sharp, shrill quality to it, without any of the warmth and depth of a good gardenia-tuberose based scent. This fragrance is not terrible; it's just poor quality and very disappointing especially when you take the outrageous price into consideration.

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I love L'Anarchiste. I would indeed say i am a fond of Caron. When i wear L'Anarchiste? Anytime, and i mosty wear it in the heat. It´s comfortable one and i have no complaint about it. When i look to the pyramid above i do only igree about the orange leaves. For me this scent is all about orange leaves and florals. As the time goes by it mellows to something more soapy or powdery but don't take this to the generic side of nowadays scents. Its more soapy. I don´t understand what would be metallic, bloody or apple smell. I can´t get it. Also i can add that L'Anarchiste resemble a mix of hot tea of cloves and honey with little cinnamon. None of these are listed in the pyramid, but believe me, it smells like.

staticx's avatar

India India

Jaguar Vision by Jaguar

I complete agree with Cologneist. This is a wonderful frangrance. I've been using it for a while and loving it. I understand the connection with Aventus.
    Sillage is excellent but it lack longevity on me...hard to detect after 3-4 hours. But still it is quite good as it comes at a very decent price tag.

This is definitely the best of the Jaguar Vision Line.

staticx's avatar

India India

Jaguar Vision II by Jaguar

I picked it up from the discount bin at a very decent price. I was expecting it to be good especially after trying Vision I, which is quite good.
    The juice is not that bad but it really sucks in longevity. I can hardly detect it after say 2 hours.
    I could have given it a neutral rating but its the longevity which prevents me to do so.

It opens with a promising green apple note with a hint of Melon, which stays for 30 minutes or so. I barely detect any pepper in the transition phase. The green apple stays till the end with subtle cedar and musk in the drydown which is too faint.

Overall, its a decent scent but lack of longevity kills it. But, actually I must not complaint considering the price I paid for it.

It remains at the bottom of the Vision series by Jaguar.It should have been named Vision III and all three would be labeled correctly then.

rogalal's avatar

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Of course I like it - it's Santal Noble!

I think this is one of those rare perfumes that smells perfectly nice, if a little simple, to people who are new to non-mainstream scents. As another reviewer said here, it basically smells like fancy expensive sawdust (and that's a compliment, not a complaint).

But, Santal Noble is especially rewarding to the noses with a little more practice. It's got that bitter galbanum/bergamot chypre top, the hints of smoke, that dusty oak, the amber undertones, the hints of rich butter, that toasted hazelnut smell, and that impeccable dark green vetiver/patch/moss chypre base, and lots more. Every sniff rewards you with a little bit of interest playing alongside the sawdust if you work to pick it out.

One of the rare perfumes that just gets better and more interesting the more you know.

rogalal's avatar

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

A beautiful leafy green scent, lightly "perfumey" and soapy, and lifted with citrus. This is one of my favorite genres of perfume, so I'm an easy sell for Cristalle.

That being said, something about it fails to excite me. It's perfectly executed and, aside from that fact that it feels quite weak and short-lived for an EDP, I have no complaints. And yet I just don't care.

Maison Martin Margiela's (untitled) is built on the same foundation, but excites with its striking modernity. Eau De Campagne is clearly a sister, yet outshines Cristalle with its simultaneously classic and timeless edge. Even Chanel's Cristalle Eau Verte flanker is more compelling, being perhaps the best clean laundry scent available.

Somehow, in comparison, Cristalle fails to excite. It's certainly not a bad perfume, and I feel bad for giving it a neutral rating because it's quite well done. It's just a personal thing for me - I just can't get more excited than a "meh"...

rbaker's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

This is a clear and straightforward sandalwood fragrance. Little is distracting from that core, and it develops beautifully. Compared to Creed's Bois de Santal, my favourite sandalwood fragrance, it is a bit lighter, less creamy and a bit more linear; I get little development in Tam Dao. Nonetheless it is of very good quality, and one of the best pure sandalwood scents available, not dissimilar to Caswell-Massey's and Floris' Sandalwood. On me silage and projection are limited; it stays close to my skin. Longevity of about three to four hours. Overall a very good rendition of the sandalwood theme.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Bought a couple 2 mL samples of Magnetism. I've seen other people refer to the opening notes as "Cherry Coke," and I can actually see where they get that. The weird thing is that we (my wife and I) didn't hate it based on that. Actually, we didn't hate it at all. However...we didn't love it either. While the Cherry Coke scent made it unique, we had no urge to keep smelling it. I kept waiting for it to change as it dried, but it never did.

Magnetism was pleasant, but not amazing. On me, it stayed close to the skin and lasted 4-5 hours. I liked it enough to finish the two samples. If my opinion changes, I'll update this review.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Black by Undergreen

Undergreen perfumes is a project launched by two French fellows, Patrice Cardenoso und Jérôme Bonnet, who hired Fabrice Olivieri of Trends Lab to create their two perfumes, White and Black. Undergreen does not hold back with bathos when celebrating its unique selling point: embodying a new style of natural perfumery rejecting "aromatherapeutic" "new-age" aesthetics for a contemporary, trendy niche-style while scrupulously emphasizing natural origins and sustainable practices. It reminds me a bit of Ernest Callenbach's "Ecotopia," a very American ecological novel from the 70s which fuses faith in technology and Yankee ingenuity with Hippie eco-counterculture. Or of Steve Jobs. Yes, fans of Apple aesthetics will love these perfumes, too. Now this sounds like and could verily be just another marketing angle in an increasingly crowded market of high-end perfumery, but to my nose, the concept actually works and is genuinely reflected in the perfumes. I do not know to what extent the naturals employed here are manipulated in spinning cone columns or the like, but the fact ist: Black and White smell like throroughly trendy niches, without sporting what I find obnoxious about thoroughly trendy niches. Black is certainly not nearly as saturnine as the ad copy may suggest. As someone reared on truly dark vintage scents I would class this as easy-to-wear and downright pleasant. It's a bit like a de luxe version of mat; very male with its black licorice notes - but in high resolution 3-D quality. Plus there's a nice phenolic "Islay Malt" birch (and Oud?) note. In sum Black is a moderate-to-light and very pleasant modern gourmand fragrance, which excels by taking a trendy melange of notes (coffee, incense, oud, guajac) to a higher level by avoiding the usual synthetic suspects. As a classicist I could use more murkiness, skankiness etc. here, but that's not the point - it's that this is a well-made, beautifully smelling scent in a contemporary style. I'm impressed.

only_me!'s avatar

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

*****
    On Level 3 of the Tate Modern, London, there’s a mesmerising collection of Mark Rothko paintings called ‘The Seagram Murals’. Like segments of primordial DNA, these large canvases dominate and impose themselves on those who enter this inner sanctum with their ‘simple’ blocks of 2 colours entitled: ‘red on maroon’, and ‘black on maroon’. As part of a series they have a striking similarity to each other: literally variations on a theme with each painting expressing a density beyond the wall. Indeed, I recollect with fondness the time when my friends’ young son innocently and ironically remarked that ‘they all look the same, daddy’, as we adults admired this collection with degrees of intellectual critique!
    In this way Montale’s olfactory explorations with Aoud bear a striking artistic resemblance, as many of their dense creations are binary iterations comprising combinations of aoud and rose: the exquisite ‘Aoud Queen Roses’, for me, offering a centre-piece for Montale’s self-styled genre.

As with the majority of Montale’s creations the impact of ‘Aoud Queen Roses’ is massive and unforgettable: huge brush-strokes of sumptuous rose adorning a canvas of bewitching, seductive aoud. Devoid of thorns, this is a warm, full-bodied rose and, extraordinarily, able to summon new physiological life somehow when making contact with one’s skin. The Aoud employed is similarly tantalisingly beautiful, resonating like an organic see-saw of contrasting qualities that flirt with dusty, earthy, animalic nuances, verging at times towards bitterness, to suggestions of impending sweetness as if masquerading as purest sandalwood.
    The crowning achievement, however, is the way in which the rose never withers on the vine, so to speak, and instead continues to flourish as if the aoud nourishes the flower above in symbiotic perfection.

This creation sits closely to the wonderful ‘Midnight Oud’ by Juliette Has A Gun and less close to the Rolls Royce that is FM’s ‘Portrait of a Lady’. However, its closest neighbours are indubitably from Montale’s Collection itself: the latter a monumental achievement of opulence, grandeur and the highest artistic merit. Stunning!

goldiewing's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

One of our very glam Managers wafted past me 30 odd years ago, wearing this fantastic perfume. I scrimped and scraped to save enough money from my pay to buy my first very small bottle of this beautiful perfume.

It is known as my signature, as over the years, our family and friends always know when I am around!

Unfortunately, I cant wear this for work anymore, as my current boss get a migraine if I do!

I absolutely love this perfume, and always stock up at Duty Free, whether I need it or not!

Darvant's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

One of the most renowned perfume ever, one the stage of the great classics with its aromatic, floral, herbal and mossy temperament. The juice is  restrained and conservative, it possesses a sort of (bathroom kind a la Paco Rabanne Pour Homme) laundry-medicinal soapy vibe and a kind of wet concrete undertone (typical with the violets) perfectly married with the general grassy, citrusy and mossy aura around. The first part of the trip is herbal (almost minty with accents of bergamot and lavender) and lemony with woody influences introducing the lymphatic valzer from the violets. The dry down is made by a solid sandalwood with mossy accents and with the moody (soapy-herbal) and elegant violet's trail. One of the "cleanest" fragrance ever, sharp discretion in a bottle.

SirScent's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

This is actually more wearable than "Fuel For Life".

However, that still does not constitute the ridiculous asking price and silly bottle design.
    It's a lighter version of Diesel's " Fuel For Life"...this with less gasoline and softer raspberries.

It's Not for me.

Silly Bottle.
    Priced ridiculously high for what it is.
    Just a silly fragrance IMO.
    I will never understand why this is so poplular.

Costume National Homme by Costume National

A very unique scent. Unlike anything I've tried. A burst of pines/cedar to start with. My wife didn't care for it, but I did. It made me think of camping and waking up to a crisp, Colorado summer morning. As it dried, I got the sense of something "antique-y." I'm not big on antiques, but it gave Costume National Homme a bit of an old-school flavor. A few hours later, I felt like I was in an old library, surrounded by classic leather-bound books.

My wife never fell in love with it, but I rather enjoyed it every step of the way. It doesn't project much, which was fine for her ;) I sprayed each wrist once, and would say it spent about 6-7 hours on my skin.

I am a teacher and felt this was perfect for school. I am currently using a sample, and for now...that may be enough. I really enjoyed Costume National Homme, but I wouldn't say I HAVE to own a large bottle of it. A smaller one (for example, a 30 ML, if one exists) could work...or I might just pick up another sample or two for now.

drseid's avatar

Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer

Une Rose Vermeille opens with a very subtle lemon and lavender tandem before quickly transitioning completely to a very synthetic smelling rose and raspberry duo with a soapy violet undertone. The raspberry and rose are heavily sweetened by a major tonka bean presence emerging from the base along with equally sickeningly sweet non-powdery supporting vanilla. Projection is minimal and longevity is average.

I keep waiting for a Tauer scent to wow me as I really like the perfumer's high level of customer service and his industry "secrets" candor; alas I'll have to keep looking as I really dislike Une Rose Vermeille. It really reminds me of a very cheap smelling shampoo with its low quality soapy synthetic nature, and it veers way too heavily on the sweet side of neutral for my tastes. Adding to its many deficiencies, the vanilla in the base really smells weird here and does not mesh well with the rose at all. Even raspberry that works so well with rose in my favorite scent, Portrait of a Lady by Malle seems entirely out of place here. I guess I'll just have to match Tauer's candor in saying this one is a nearly complete failure with the only saving grace being the five second subtle lemon and lavender opening that was at least "pleasant" smelling. Definitely pass on buying this 2 star out of 5 disappointment as there are far too many excellent or better rose scents on the market to settle for a poor one.