Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

benzganesh's avatar
    benzganesh
    Malaysia Malaysia

Lalique White by Lalique

What can i say, Love the Tamarind, Pepper and Lemon Leaves which evokes pleasant citrusmash-up done right, but really dislike the underwhelming longevity, and really weak silage - surprisingly though this is beautiful on a hot day and so is on a rainy day, but as i write this i just hope that Lalique strengthens this potion to be a little more stout - currently this formulation would easily pass as a Eau de Cologne than an Eau de Toilette,nevetherless of course this is an "Eau" class of fragrance and its composition and structure is really built around this.

The dry down though is so sublime you basically have to bury your face in it - i've worn this a few weeks now, it very much has the capacity to be someones signature scent since its easily wearable and has a usual-but-unsual vibe to it.

I have to wear (12) Sprays of this just to get (5-6) Hours and on the 7th hour mark - the drydown is almost gone..into the oblivion..Nevertheless, its fantastic for what it is - I'd always have this and a bottle of Eau de Cartier around.

andym72's avatar
    andym72

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I personally think the only connection between A*Men and B*Men is a sweetened Patchouli accord. But even then, there is a clear difference between the sweet notes used. In A*Men, it is a Caramel Candy note, which is where most of A*Mens tooth rotting, diabetic shock sweetness comes from. This along with the Mint, Coffee and Chocolate firmly peg A*Men as a gourmand. None of these exist in B*Men. If Caramel Candy is 'cooked sugar', then the sweetener in B*Men is most definitely 'burnt sugar', overcooked and blackened. This is why B*Men is nowhere near as sweet as his brother. This burnt sugar and Patchouli accord is there from top to bottom and becomes more dominant as time goes on, which might be why people consider it linear. These two also produce a tar note, not the same as the tar in A*Men, a bit more rubbery.

I cant make out the Rhubarb in this one, there is a sour fruit note there in the opening, but doesn't register as Rhubarb. It is paired up with Licorice Root. I have spotted the 'Peanut' accord that people mention once or twice, but I dont always get it.

In the heart, in comes the redwood and the spicerack. The combo of wood and burnt smells doesn't come across as smokey though. My experience is that if you are not judicious with the spritzer, the redwood note becomes very musky, a not very pleasant 'scratchy' musk. This does mean I'm never quite sure what experience I'm going to get that day. Be warned, B*Men is highly potent - my 100ml bottle will probably last a decade, and in its own way it isn't any more polite than A*Men. Two sprays is enough.

Then in the base, the burnt sugar and Patchouli prevails. I've not picked up the Vetiver at this stage, I am assuming I'm combining the earthiness of the Patch and the Vetiver into one smell.

I wouldn't call it an Oriental, there aren't really any resinous or vanilla notes. Its a semi-sweet Woody Spicy to me.

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

With affectionate thanks to 30 Roses, I am wearing Jo Malone’s Blackberry & Bay, which b*u*r*s*t*s forth with tart freshness. It smells like it’s raining grapefruit juice, and there’s a blackberry thicket growing on a far, far distant horizon. On paper, the grapefruit eventually morphs into pine. On skin, the grapefruit-like note hangs around more.

This recipe makes sense as a beverage or room freshener, but I’m challenging myself to conceive of it as a personal fragrance. It’s clearly not a scrubber. It could, in fact, be one of those fragrances that grows on a person, perhaps even becoming a craving. You can never be sure without giving a unique frag a good wearing or two.

I equate its greenness to something like L’Ombre dans L’eau. Can’t imagine this being a big seller to the general public, but it’s the kind of thing that a bored perfumista appreciates for needed novelty.

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Patchouli by Anglia Perfumery

NOT A MASCULINE FRAGRANCE! I love patchouli fragrances, but this was a disappointment. Overwhelming floral top that hangs in the air around the wearer. Very feminine with a waxy lipstick odor upon dry down. Very faint patchouli quality beneath the floral. Thankfully, this breaks down within 4 hours, a mercifully short longevity.

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Yatagan by Caron

Odd cacophony of muted greens and tanning chemicals (not leather so much as the process of urning hide into leather!). I'm always surprised when i experience a fragrance by a respected house so negatively, but YATAGAN, is thoroughly unpleasant.

Scientia's avatar
    Scientia

Beyond Love by By Kilian

{Excerpt from a piece I wrote on perfume}:
    The scent is called Beyond Love. It very nearly is.
    It is certainly as overwhelming as that first, stomach-clenching fall. Sumptuous. Drenching. Lush on a scale that leaves me heavy-lidded. In fact, narcotic.
    Or better. Opiates have nothing on the luscious, ambrosial somnolence of this sensation. Breathing in, being surrounded by, this scent is as overwhelming as lying on summer grass at sunset, watching the sky as a storm rolls toward you—while sprawled between sheets made of cream-white silk.
    Actually, I am sprawled on white sheets—sheets of damasked cotton-sateen. The sensory contrast—between the slight give that could pass as roughness in the fine-spun cotton, and the hedonistically sleek, impenetrably textured scent of the tuberose—is hypnotic, bewitching...
    ...far better than opium.

germanomio's avatar
    germanomio
    France France

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

a very nice variation
    maybe better than original EdT and surely an improvement of the original l'Eau
    the vetiver note is zesty, slightly salty and not too rooty
    it gave me the same feeling as smelling a fresh vetiver root (I tried it in Madagascar)
    the IsoE is not too proeminent
    the overall impression is fresh and natural; it reminds me of Terre d'Hermès but lighter and far less synthetic (and it doesn't give headache as TdH !)

k8pierro's avatar
    k8pierro

Rêve en Cuir by Indult

I think this fragrance is a modern masterpiece. Soft, kid leather cushioned in spices, the leather noticeable from the start, but never overwhelming.

This was one of five samples I got from LuckyScent a few years ago, and--along with Ourzazat by Comme de Garcon--by far my favorite. I checked back at their website recently and they no longer carry it, and I read somewhere that none of the Indult perfumes are in production any longer (what happened?). That means I'll be hunting this all over Ebay and Etsy soon.

This is the leather that made me want to study the "classic" leathers, Bandit, Cabochard, and Cuir de Russie. although from what I've read about them, I'll bet you'd find Reve en Cuir much more accessible.

sblades138's avatar
    sblades138

Coco Noir by Chanel

On first spritz, I'm reminded more of a "darker" Coco Mademoiselle than the original Coco - I find this disappointing because I wanted the spiciness of Coco but richer and darker (is that possible? So perhaps my expectations were flawed from the start because I like the original Coco so much!). When I think about it, I'm not sure there is much "noir" here. It's got that cloying fruit of Mademoiselle. About halfway through, I start to like it a bit more. It does become darker and slightly muskier, but it's still not intriguing. This one might even remind me more of Bath and Body Works' Black Amethyst than the similarity I found between it and Coco Mademoiselle. It's not that it smells cheap or severely off-putting (the previous reviewer is right that this is well-blended), but it doesn't grab me the way older Chanel fragrances do. I'll say this for it: the longevity is amazing, and I can smell this hours and hours later...but does that matter if I'm not enjoying it when I enjoy so many of Les Exclusifs so much better? The final dry down is quite nice and more reminiscent of the original Coco, albeit lighter and maybe more wearable for some who found Coco too heavy (yes...LIGHTER, yet labeled "noir"...so confusing). And the bottle is fantastic. It's not a scrubber, but for me this is more of a flunker than a flanker - an unnecessary addition to the already confusing mix-of-a-flanker that is Coco Mademoiselle (something I once liked in my mid 20s but as I've gotten older can't stand). This couldn't have been difficult to put together with the base for it obviously being all Mademoiselle. Polge must be laughing all the way to the bank with this one.

k8pierro's avatar
    k8pierro

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

My father had this in the 1970's, and I used to pinch some from him to wear out when I got "dressed up." I am female, and in 1970, the unisex fragrance concept hadn't quite gone mainstream, but I loved the deep mossy spice I got off of this--in fact, I always smelled clove, although it is not listed in the notes. I mean, when you start off loving Nuit de Noel in your childhood, where can you go from there for over-the-top fragrance glam...except here? (I guess Opium, Poison, or Obsession, but they always smelled too sweet to me). This, like Aramis (another of Dad's faves I "borrowed"), is Chypre on Steroids. This would probably choke me today, especially in the amounts I used to apply, but I did love it at the time, and I loved it on Dad, too.

Fabio Luisi's avatar
    Fabio Luisi

Epices by Piver

A great mixup, basenote pepper and cardamon.

cello's avatar
    cello

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

I'm giving this a thumbs up for being good smelling, but I have to point you towards MdM's review - this one is BIG! I don't particularily care for lavender frags, so I dabbed far from nose, throat, chest even. Wrist was close enough - this will clear a room sprayed with abandon, I would imagine.

But, it does smell good. The hint of mint offers a dry lavender opening. The mossy, almost creamy finale blends very well with the fading lavender. This is all about lavender.

So if lavender is your thing, give it a try. But be careful!

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

The Secret by Antonio Banderas

Very similar to 1 Million, but not nearly as good. You can tell they ran out of money after the top notes. A horrible bitter leather note comes in and dominates the majority of the fragrance. Overall, it seems unbalanced and childish. Props to the top notes though, very much like 1 Million, which is a 5 star fragrance imo.

surge's avatar
    surge

Black Violet by Tom Ford

Love it!
    If you're familiar with Azure Lime you'll recognize the opening (minus the Lime) -- very dark moon juice type thing with lots of violets :) Not too feminine at all...Fades to a gentle noir de noir type floral accord but it's not very outspoken...Longevity is good and overall this is great juice.
    Definitely love this one!

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

PS by Paul Sebastian

A better, more wearable version of CK Obsession. Lighter, yet lasts longer. Great signature scent material. Not exactly my style though.

natrance's avatar
    natrance

HiM by Hanae Mori

Quality has never been a problem with Hanae Mori. HM EDT and EDP have exceptional sillage and longevity. Hanae Mori HiM is no exception to the rule. At first, I get the same or similar notes to that of the original Curve and Mambo, nice summer fragrance...that is THE only similarities it shares with those two...the latter stages develop into a complex, warm drydown. The top notes reside to bring forth a spicy, woody sweetness, not quite gourmand, but very soothing...it definitely gets better with time!!

Scent: 8/10 (not a fan of the initial "Curve" scent, too young for me)
    Sillage: 8/10 (easy on the trigger; one on the neck, one on the wrists)
    Longevity: 9/10 (this is another Hanae Mori HM, loooong lasting)

Overall 8/10

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 August, 2012)

ericrico's avatar
    ericrico

Woods of Windsor for Gentleman by Woods of Windsor

I recently swapped with a great individual to get this Vintage bottle of Woods of Windsor for Gentleman (dated 1992 on the back of the bottle) - I am very fortunate and glad I did!

I really enjoy what this offers - uniqueness, quality ingredients with a very natural feel that are well integrated. Odysseusm really writes an accurate and thoughtful review. I have to say that while a lot of people would be quick to compare this to other citruses - it is intelligent, aristocratic and sophisticated...truly "for Gentleman".

I love the lemongrass note in here - along with the verbena, which together with the lemon, bergamot and orange really open with a nice freshness. However, the heart stage is what really impresses - the spices make this a really aromatically brilliant scent (in Vintage formulation). The clove note is nice and very well presented, along with the fresh ground and slightly dusty cinnamon and nutmeg (great separation of notes throughout the wearing). A key note here in the heart that lets the fragrance show its full beauty is the neroli - as it rounds out the composition and segues to the dry down. The base of wood here is nice, but this really is supportive of the great top & heart notes. There is possibly some sandalwood, as well as a touch of cedar. But, after a half hour or so in...I get a slightly bitter (but clean) vetiver note. It is not loud, but offers a nice balance to the earthy spices and lemongrass that carries through this composition into the heart with the verbena as well.

I am thankful to have a relatively rare Vintage bottle of this scent. While not a loud scent, it does have nice "aura" effect that I like. A true Gentleman is not loud or brash anyway, so why should his fragrance be? Refined and a scent that would wear well either upscale casual or formal. Perfect fragrance for a nice Sunday brunch or to attend church (or both). The spices make this less austere, along with the wood - so it leans in a different direction than a lot of Aromatic Citrus scents. Longevity is average (around 4 hours) - recommended to apply to fabric as well as skin. As previously stated, there are no fixatives in this to increase power and longevity, which is part of its charm.

A Vintage bottle that smells like it could have been made 20-30 years earlier even. This is old-school, but smells like a nice classic - recommended for the mature, sophisticated man who will appreciate it more. Savile Row suit, derby hat and nice laced-up, polished oxfords not included, but a lot of British style and taste is in this scent.

Very good - bravo.

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2012)

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

Jewel For Him by Martine Micallef

I wore this scent today and could hardly get anything out of it...just a citrus top note and some faint oud in the background...

Is this a real jewel for him?

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2012)

muskymoi's avatar
    muskymoi

Belle du Soir by Le Labo

I know they don't really share any notes, from what I read, but BDS reminded me of Shalimar in the top note opening for about 10 minutes before settling into the woods. Sillage, medium to low. Longevity, about 5 good hours. I wore it on a first date. No compliment. :(

It's a very nice, comforting and mood enhancing scent. Like. Plus, it's a sizable le labo for only $62. Score!

UPDATE: So, despite the big name behind it (Le Labo), I returned it to anthro because at the drydown I smelled like a sweaty lumberjack---i.e., like Paul Bunyan would smell after wrestling with Babe for a few hours...so very unsexy.

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

People are going to bash this because it is cheap, familiar, easily accessible, reminds people of their father and half the country wears it, but in the end, I enjoy it. It's a classic for a reason.

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2012)

Sniffmonkey's avatar
    Sniffmonkey

1876 by Histoires de Parfums

Initially a fruity rose, with a cumin/civet undertow that I enjoy (this is nowhere near as animalic as The Different Company's Rose Poivre, which is shockingly civet-heavy to my nose). A few minutes in, a strong cedarwood note emerged that jarred with - rather than supported - the liqueur-like rose, and I was ready to dismiss this. 1804, which I was testing at the same time, was my preferred scent of the two at this stage.

However, within a few hours 1804's juicy pineapple dried down to a generic green-floral musk, whilst 1876 blossomed into a beautiful, full-bodied, decollete-and-opera-gloves-type scent. It called to mind Caron's Parfum Sacre, although this does not have that peppery note that some dislike in Parfum Sacre. 1876 is a mature fruity-floral, if you can believe that such a thing exists! Lovely.

On second sniff, the cedarwood note was again very prominent, to the extent that I decided this is like a softer, much more floral version of Feminite du Bois... Still lovely...

20th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2013)

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

XJ Homme by Xerjoff

Imagine Knize Ten - it's that wonderful doughy suede smell of methyl ionone with a thin undercurrent of animalic gasoline grossness played against lush peach skin and florals. Now, take out the florals and the peach skin and everything that's "pretty" and replace it with poopy civet and Montale's band-aid oud. That's essentially what XJ Homme smells like to me.

The oud, with its rubbery medicinal smell and fecal undertones, basically takes everything that's vaguely gross about Knize Ten and amplifies it. The end result is a very difficult perfume - honestly, I think that 99% of the people on the street would smell this and say it smelled awful. But, for the initiated, it's actually quite fun.

For the first couple of hours, XJ Homme smelled to me like the overwhelming new rubber smell of a tire store, or more specifically, the gross bathroom of a tire store where someone sprayed Knize Ten to try to cover the stink. But the whole thing also had a moldy medicinal quality to it, too, like penicilin growing in a petri dish in a stinky bathroom in a tire store. It's also got an intoxicating chemical quality that reminds me of the smell of 80's model airplane glue.

Eventually, the civet faded and the bathroom association went away, making room for a birch tar note to come in, simultaneously leathery and like burnt trees. Eventually, it ended with a nice dark green chypre base.

In a way, I can't believe I'm giving this a thumbs up. It's awfully gross, but in a novel way that I simply haven't experienced before. That being said, I'd reach for Knize Ten or Royal English Leather before I'd come back to XJ Homme, though I've enjoyed its wild ride.

DON LUCCHESSE's avatar
    DON LUCCHESSE

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Love this Cologne love it in the winter with a suit or a casual night or in the summer or in fall...gets compliments like crazy an my wife loves it love the grapefruit an the tobacco smell ..

Artisan by John Varvatos

Strong Orange or Clementine with a small cedar like smell? Or just a bitter orange smell that is pretty linear. It's nothing special, I wouldn't buy it and if gifted this, I would wear it just to smell of something.

Scent 5 (Nothing Special)
    Sillage 2
    Longevity 7

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

Take my review and all other reviews with a grain of salt. And don't blind buy. Buy samples, with the $50 you'd have to pay for this you could buy 17 samples, and much, MUCH greater odds of liking 1 in 17. If you don't like this you just wasted $50, and I'm glad I sampled this rather than bought it.

This has a Body Kouros like vibe, maybe it's the tonka bean. It has that same Body Kouros thick vanilla with a moderate amount of powder note. I don't exactly like Body Kouros or Givenchy because of this intense note.

Smell 3 (Alright if your into gourmands or have smelled the vanilla note and liked it. But this is not for me)

Longevity 6

Sillage 6

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Smells like a watery citrus. I could see why this was popular in its day. It smells appealing, not fresh but still very good. Try it!

Scent 8
    Longevity 4
    Sillage 4

DON LUCCHESSE's avatar
    DON LUCCHESSE

Black Jeans by Versace

No other Cologne touches my heart like versace black jeans love this fragrance specially in the winter with a nice italian suit.... its just sophisticated an rare it brings me great memories an I continue to make memories with this sophisticated Cologne in every jazz bar in the world that I can get a hold of..

MonkeyBars's avatar
    MonkeyBars

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

I don't get a resemblance to Fahrenheit at all.

I do agree there is a somewhat citric character, and certainly pepper, possibly hot pepper in the opening. I get a rose-frankincense character in the heart and agree with the "blond woods" idea as well. Also I do get a touch of ambroxan, which gives depth. The whole structure has an interesting dissonance and vibration to it that keeps me sniffing. To me, it's like a stripped-down Balenciaga pour Homme, with all the elements of that dense, extreme incense-animalic composition turned down to a moderate volume. Excellent longevity (of course). Not sure I'm going to rush out to get a bottle, but it smells good.

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Nina Ricci may have come out with some great fragrances over the years but this isn't one of them. Despite the famous Lalique bottle and the phenominal sales history, this simple, linear perfume is sad and doesn't even smell very good. When I was growing up, this was considered to be an appropriate fragrance for a girl just coming into womanhood--it was expensive, French and not too--how shall we say--provocative? Instead it is the olfactory equivalent of virginity. Worse still, of frigidity. This is not the ripe friut waiting to be plucked--this has spinster written all over it. On a young woman it smells pretty, sexless and off-putting; on a mature woman it is just ridiculous. My sister, as a well brought up young lady, was given a bottle of this and it sat for years on her dresser--admired for its frosted crystal stopper but unused, while she went through bottles of her favorite perfumes. A cousin of mine who is a lesbian chose this for her scent early on--not the feminine perfume-wearing type, she liked it because there was nothing remotely sexy or threatening about it. Sadly, now that it has become a cheap drugstore fragrance, it doesn't even have the prestige of the couturier's brand to support it. If you ever wondered how to suck any sensuality out of a fragrance, study L'Air du Temps.

pjsearcy's avatar
    pjsearcy

Polo Blue Sport by Ralph Lauren

The polo blue sport actully smells good but the longevity on this one is weak, i get no longer than 30min on my skin then nothing, i wore it to work and ask my cowokers if they smell anything they said no, i don't normally have this problem with ralph lauren fragrances.