Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Homme by Marks and Spencer

If you havent tried this "cheapie" than you are in for big loss! its really that good and has good silage and longevity for the price, surprisingly smells really off-the-beaten track. i am quite astonished on how this skipped the radar of many who praised Eau De Baux, although the later has more real/fresh ingredients and in a different olfactory group altogether - "Homme" by Marks and Spencer costs USD 30.00 for a 100 ml bottle and stands on its own - i am really a big fan of this now, and will always have a bottle, its a great "date scent", the amber+grapefruit is a winning combination - you do get a little bit of patchouli in the backround the really clean and lean type, i feel no leather really, if its there then its really minimal nevertherless it would help if basenotes updated a picture of this rare find!

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Fresh spicy tobacco leaves, although quite a restrained collaboration.

Nouvelle Edition Figue Amere by Miller Harris

Quite flat, and more like generic soap with a hint of fig. There is also something bitter lurking around, although I'm not quite sure what. The dry down is considerably better than the top.

Vétiver by Piver

Elegant and exquisitely refined. The perfect fragrance to leave a subtle yet distinguished impression.

odysseusm's avatar

Pin 12 by Le Labo

In addition to the notes given above, this also has lavender, lemon, and cedar.
    It is classified as a room/ambient scent, but there is no reason not to wear it on skin.
    I'm always searching out coniferous scents, so I thought I'd try this one. It's good.
    It starts with a VERY aromatic-herbal blast of dry lavender. You have to love lavender to appreciate this -- and I do.
    The scent develops into a powerful and somewhat dense (or at least substantial) woody scent. The emphasis is more on cedar than pine, I'd say.
    The dry-down has some nice smokey notes and lots of wood.
    The longevity is good -- it lasts and diminishes gracefully (rather than getting bigger and tiresome).
    This one is for serious wood lovers only. It is dry, simple and smells like a good woodpile.

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I’ve seen a couple different note schemes for this, so I’m going to stick with what I know. I get quite a bit of unripe citrus on the opening. The mango seems the dominant note to me, and the grapefruit is always lurking in the background. The top notes last very long on me, a few hours before what I perceive to be an abrupt transition to the middle notes. The middle notes are also very strong at first and then they die down to a very light scent also. I don’t get much distinction from the middle notes, perhaps a faint floral.

So far as the scent itself goes, I have to say I am not a fan, and I’m actually surprised that there are so many people that are so impressed by this. Some people have gone raving mad in their reviews. It’s a mediocre citrus at best, IMO. I enjoy this fragrance for about 10 minutes, until the top notes start to blend and leave one very gigantic unpleasant note that smells like wet pantyhose drying on a shower rod. And I get this weird scent for a long time. I know that it is green citrus, but the blending of the top notes almost makes some kind of other ontological olfactory entity – it’s like something out of a 50’s horror movie.

There are many good citrus scents out there. I do not find this to be one of them.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Has a similar feel to Ck Shock for me. Smells kind of fruity with a touch of spice, not my thing. If you liked Ck Shock you'll like this. The note might be this grape or orange accord with maybe some vanilla, but I reallly think they are similar.It's a really sweet scent for me, but you may like this sort of thing.

Scent 5
    Longevity 7
    Sillage 4

mattachin's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I cannot even start to describe this... it's pure heaven, but kinda earthly heaven, mossy, wet and sour. Perhaps a single girl's (with commitment issues) heaven - I seriously suspect now I have been wearing it for couple of months no man can possibly match this checklist of sophisticated masculinity.
    But fantasy aside, I find it incredibly wearable and possibly the only bearable summer scent - and the summer in question is close to 40c.

Eternity for Men Aqua by Calvin Klein

Yeah not a good scent overall. The descriptions are dead a watery- fruity type of scent. The predominant scent seems to be the a sweet plum surrounded by light watery notes. Nothing special.

Scent 5
    Sillage 5
    Longevity 7

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

IMO this is one of the best Gucci men's colognes. Not cloying at all. You will get compliments on this one. Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Has the typical Calvin Klein watery texture with added booze. Of all the sweet fragrances I've tried this is on the lighter side. Not a scent I would keep sniffing, but it's alright. Try it for yourself

Scent 5.5
    Sillage 5
    Longevity7

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I am giving it a thumbs up - but in no sane mind ill dump 300 bucks on this period, unless ofcourse i win the mega lottery, beautiful scent - tao of sense, minimalist beautiful but somehow lacks x factor, its mostly linear - i get lots of oud sawdust (not the oud it self), almond milk lightly peppered - reminds me of the marijuana concoction which is a ritualistical drink in india called "bhang" - in bhangs you can never actually smell or taste the cannabis but its there - same here, its milky-oud-sawdust after the rain - like i said beautiful but not enough - perhaps when i am sick of all the dramatic scents then ill probably retire with this, for its rare beauty perhaps i would understand at the end of my journey...when everything gets just a bit too much but rightnow, i am carnal and i love my absolute pour le soir from mfk!

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Great for the summer. Longevity is not all that good though. The coconut and lime blend is good for picnics and outdoor activities. Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Nice fragrance! The longevity on this one is very good. Soapy smelling (expensive soap), but overall a very fresh smelling cologne. One of the best in the Tom Ford collection. Women will like this one also!

Oviatt's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Beautifully blended spices and incense stitched together with vetiver and lavender. I detect a subtle coffee note although it is not listed. I also smell tonka. This is a subtle scent, lighter than an evening scent usually is but very beautiful none the less. To me it smells sweeter and more unisex out of the bottle but on the skin it is very masculine with the sage, leather and musk coming to the fore. Surprisingly sexy in the drydown. The mythological reference is a little fanciful for Penhaligon's but is carried through beautifully in the classical urn-shaped label with its funerary draperies and crescent moon in hommage to Selene/Cynthia. The midnight blue and silvery moonlight colors are perfect. Being English, this clearly has everything to do with Keat's Endymion as opposed to the Endymion myth of antiquity, so maybe it isn't too fanciful after all.

A thing of beauty IS a joy forever but sadly, as with most of this house's scents, they fade away all too soon ....

22 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

Aventus by Creed

Not only is this my favorite Creed cologne, It is in my top three of all time. Like all Creeds, pray you get a good batch (especially for $150+). Pineapple and that lightly smoked vanilla is a winner.Surprisingly, the longevity is very good for a creed frag (7 hours).

22 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2012)

antiqueRose's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

It opens sweet, intense, shining, cloying, boozy fruity floral. I don't find it overpowering, its strong yet strangely soft. I hate to use the description "powdery" but about 10 minutes after application {to wrists and partly on sleeve} an intense old fashioned talc powder, then a beautiful note. I don't know what it is - is it an angel singing? Gosh I love it its taking me on a journey - a tour of some sort a tour through the everglades in a canoe past eerie twisted trees draped spookily with spanish moss. The home of alligators, snakes. unseen things that slither and splash.. ok back to the perfume... I don't think "Poison" is really an apt name.. I think it maligns a beautiful masterpiece. Isn't it like calling the Mona Lisa 'Scarlet Woman' or 'aldulteress' or Whistlers Mother 'Old Axe-Murderer' or 'lunatic asylum inmate' Anyway it settles to an intense almost narcotic floral for awhile. Then theres a pinch of something cooly medicinal..now a good quality vanilla, woody, floral, sensual sweet tobacco, lily balsamic, old paperbacks. I've turned the light out now to try to go to sleep, and now I suddenly realize why so many reviewers have said "not for the faint-hearted". Maybe I should have conducted this little test at the beginning of the day instead of the end. Poison, suddenly [because of it's name} seems suggestive of danger - will spiders visit me and crawl over me while I sleep? Silly me, just because its CALLED poison - yet, why did they name it that? What did they put in it? Don't be silly I tell myself. Go to sleep. Fast forward to next morning - I had trouble going to sleep and had to get up to get a drink of water to stop coughing, then was awoken a little later by my son thinking he heard someone breaking into my other sons car, so I went and looked out a window for a while watching for any possible intruders but there was no one but odd inexplicable sounds like water splashing. On awaking next morning I sniff and its now a strong sweet heavy floral reminding me of night blooming jasmine which I love. Its been 8 hours since I put it on so this must be the dry-down, but it also changes to more of a mellow woody vanilla floral after even more time. So, to me its beautiful and intense and I really do love it. I will have to try a more recent bottle as this one I tested I would say is one from the late 1980's, probably. Its a non-spray EDT in a oval bottle and you can see the juice is wine coloured through the purple bottle. I earlier declared I don't find it overpowering but I think I'll apply it in the morning, rather last thing at night so the word "poison" doesn't conjure up all sorts of gremlins!

22 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2012)

Original Vetiver by Creed

I previously gave this a neutral rating. After wearing this one quite a few times, I would have to give it a thumbs up. Slightly soapy and green scented frag that could be worn year round. This is a grown man's scent (30+). I don't get a lot of Vetiver in this one but it is in there. Definitely one to have in your arsenal.

22 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2012)

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This one is pure class in a bottle! Unisex fragrance with floral and light musk notes. At first spray, you won't see what all the hype is about. Give it about a hour, and the hype is exposed. Received many compliments wearing MI, all year round.

22 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 December, 2013)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

This is actually a decent fragrance (for it's era). Old school spicey scent (not a bad thing). IMO this is better than a lot of the newer Calvin Klein fragrances. For ages 30 and up.

22 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2013)

MarkStar's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Raw strength in a bottle.

A scent so very rich it has a palpable texture.

The reformulation is as good as the vintage. Slightly different, but just as good. I layer the two and find incredible depth in this masterpiece...

Easily in my top 5.

unregistered's avatar

Miriam by Tableau de Parfums

I like this when first applied--I definitely get the vintage Chantilly vibe--but the dry down is a bit sour on my skin--could be perhaps the violet leaf or civet? A terrific rendition of a big,classic aldehydic floral, nonetheless, along the lines of original Arpege or Chanel N°5-- it just doesn't suit my tastes. Would make a great gift for a lipsticked dame who is inspired by 1950's fashions and retro trends. Big sillage, great body and presence. Not for the shy.

Tucansam's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Thierry mugler cologne

this cologne completely renewed my interest in fragrances. Having not tried or purchased a fragrance in over 10 years it was time to find a new one or as it turns out many new ones .Well back to mugler cologne

Went online to find one and saw men's magazine recommendations which lead me to YouTube reviewers  who lead me to basenotes . Amazed with basenotes and read reviews and forms for months and finally joined the forums but was very intimidated to write a review being a novice as well as finding it difficult to verbally express my impression and or more accurately my feelings and emotional evoked by a fragrance.

Went to our local Dillard's and tried several and this one was love at first sniff and I instantly loved it . Even though the hot SA was telling me to buy Chanel blue and one year latter feel the same way  by the way  2nd and third place were Chanel blue and A*men.

There is a lot written about this one and a lot of information that really only confuses
    Rather than informs and glad  my first impression was from the scent rather than any pre conceded  notions.I find it not similar to any of the creeds i have sampled or any other scent that i have tried and i tried to find some other fragrance similar that I like as much, but could not.
    It opening is incredibly satifying and gives me solace when I'm blue. It really makes me feel happy. Theres a Limey/lemony opening thats the neroli petigran and orange flower. Its wonderful fresh and clean. Once that dies down I get the smell of fresh bathed skin. Like you are in bed with someone and inhale deeply with your eyes closed. After that it dries down to a clean musk smell The opening fades after maybe 15 minutes than the bathed skin smell which people associate w soap last maybe 1 hour and then a clean slightly flora musk last for 4 hours but get occasional whiffs here and there after that. Incredibly versatile and a must for any collectors. its a real winner!!!

Erok32's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Very solid cooler weather cologne. It really reminds me of Burberry London. Thumbs up.

sfonativeboy's avatar

Fleur de Peau by Keiko Mecheri

Keiko Mecheri's fragrances tend to be very light and very feminine
    she definitely knows her clientele..and caters to their tastes well...
    she usually keeps her fragrances light and powdery..
    This is a slightly different .....
    its very pronounced civet note is mixed well with leather ...
    making it sensual and masculine

A powdery Russian Leather scent.

reminds me of TABAC BLOND

vinramani09's avatar

Ferrari Essence Oud by Ferrari

A great fragrance at a great price. Smells much more expensive than what it is.
    The fragrance is a Rosy Tobacco with Vanilla and Oud blended in. Sillage is excellent, and longevity is 8-9 hours on my skin.

fa23's avatar

Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Horrendous composition. This is NOT what an Oud scent should smell like. Montales are much better for half the price. If you want to own an expensive oud scent, try Mond Di Orio's Oud or Roja Dove Aoud.

rbaker's avatar

Opus III by Amouage

From the beginning there is beautiful vanilla and jasmine, with ylang-yang and gentle orange notes, resulting in a warm, rich and dense oriental scent full of a sweetness that is not at all cloying. A delightful floral note is present too. After half an hour more vanilla comes out, mixed with a light musk note that gradually evolves. Papyrus and gorgeous sandalwood in the drydown are added, and I also detect a touch of Bois des Iles in it.
    After about an hour, however, it collapses on my skin and is very close to it, but it is worth waiting as the fragrance returns, towards the end with a cocoa gourmand base note. It uses top-class ingredients that are incredibly well blended. Overall longevity about six hours.

pianist75's avatar

Dark Aoud by Montale

well...another story, not as strong as black aoud, but perhaps its worth giving a try! can be nice if you going for a date with someone you like cause based on my experience with it it stays close to the skin does NOT project like crazy its subtle , but I'm telling you its an amazing amazing beautiful scent!!!!!!!!!! def not a silage monster at all, but again thats on my skin....

pianist75's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

well...YES!!! pure class! great scent and very potent!! strong for the first 1 hour or so then it calms downabit...to be honest, not for me , too feminine , i bought a full 100 ml bottle but I'm not using it at all. from time to time i smell it before bed but thats all, i guess i will give it to my sister.