Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Bijan for Men by Bijan

now...im having problems with its longevity and i know it sounds crazy to you all here but i get no projection from this one at all, smells strong in the bottle but when i spray it i get nothing!! clothes or skin same bad result! just bought a bottle 3 days ago its original ! man i love the scent i wish i had better results with this one, very sad about it:((

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

two words for this amazing fragrance + SILLAGE AND LONGEVITY!!! hard core, for a man with courage and personality!! DONT BE AFRAID should be the name of this crazy beautiful perfume!!!

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Liked it a lot then and still like it now almost 15 years later. Unlike Cristalle Eau Verte which is pretty linear, Pamplelune really is zesty! I agree that there is a slight sour note like sweat in it but I actually like it better that way. Probably the neroli. It's tangy, bitter and sharp like citrus peel. Not just for summer. Would probably work better than any vitamin C tablet to combat the winter blues.

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

check this out boys, this is the ultimate frag for strong scent lovers! if you wanna be smelled by 10 meters away get this one!! what an amazing creation! seriously well done, 5 stars in my collection no doubt:)

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I don't usually like sweet scents but this one is quite nice. It reminds me of vanilla creme brulee with a hint of burnt orange peel. Yummy. Its saving grace is probably the burnt note which cuts the sweetness down. To be used sparingly though. I'd say I 'd get bored with it pretty quickly and could be sickening in big doses. Basically: to be handled with care.

Sables by Annick Goutal

very disappointed...ibought this blind , reading the reviews here but man what a let down:(( ,

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

just ok...nothing special about it, and the price,,,hmm!! you can but with that money better frag believe me!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

this is a strong frag! i love it, i wear this when i play in the jazz clubs and all the girls are sniffing around to know where the smell comes from! longevity its good but no great, maybe....3 to 4 hours

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

i know i know..everyone loves guerlain:) but wait.. this one despite its name extreme pour home its not that strong and extreme not so long lasting just ok! like barber shop with some spice on it, sorry but i will give a neutral here

Jicky by Guerlain

As I was home in France, I decided it was high time to try out Jicky since everybody seemed to agree it's rather unique. So off I went to this new boutique that had a Guerlain counter. As I am a fan of Guerlain, I liberally doused myself in it and then I nearly fainted.I kid you not! All I could smell was baby puke...litterally and I have 3 children so I know what I am talking about!!! Not a good idea when it's nearly 30 degrees celsius outside. After about 20 minutes it did go away but I was in such a shock that I could not smell anything else. It was tattooed in my brain and all I could think of was vomit, vomit, vomit...Lavender? Lemon? Not a hope!
    I struggle a bit with l'Heure Bleue but this is something ELSE. Unfortunately, i'll have to give it a miss.

rogalal's avatar

Aventus by Creed

I feel pretty ridiculous adding yet another review to a scent that already has well over 100, but here goes...

For the record, my sample is from the first batch when it had just come out.

It kicks off with about 3 minutes of really nice juicy pineapple and very quickly fades into pretty much what it'll smell like all day. It's a hard smell to describe, mostly a mix of fabric softener/dryer sheet smell over Creed's trademark ambrox base. There are lingering shades of citrus and a lot of salt. There's a chemical smell that has the nose-tickling brightness of an ammonia-based cleaner, but it's in the background so it doesn't ruin anything - all it really does is mix with the salt to make Aventus vaguely aquatic. That being said, somehow the mix of all these parts ends up smelling sort of woody. It's not a specific wood, but a chemical smell that implies both wood and ocean while really just smelling like chemicals.

Honestly, aside from the Creed mystique, I'm not sure why Aventus gets so much love. I find it quite weak, though long lasting. I'm no Creed hater - in fact, there are excellent Creeds that I think do what Aventus does better than Aventus. If you like the bright clean chemical sheen, I'd suggest Erolfa, while Milissime Imperial takes the vague ambox/aquatic/fruit mix idea and executes it with much more depth and richness. I can't help but feel like Aventus is just kind of sitting there, smelling OK but not projecting or doing anything, so it kind of bores me (hence the neutral review).

WillBell's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

I do not know why I have failed to review Derby before now, since it is, without question, my favorite of all EdTs. Everytime I wear it I get compliments. I have worn it for decades, and I was lucky enough to buy a dozen or so bottles of it (the old square habit rouge, heritage, vetiver type). I have also tried the re-issued Parisienne line, and have special ordered from Guerlain. Masculine, woodsy, leather, chypre, blended perfectly. A great scent for the office, since it is intimate and not overpowering. The dry down is clean,and not powdery or sweet at all. This is a must have.

La Petite Robe Noire 2012 by Guerlain

When passing by our local department store in Galway, I noticed ads for La Petite Robe NOire and could not believe my luck. Quicker than Usain Bolt, I whizzed up the kids to the nearest sales assistant and asked firmly but excitedly: "Where is you new Guerlain counter?". The reply was: "We don't have one just that perfume over there..." So I crouched down and sprayed some of LPRN on myself and on the girls. One can never start too early...I should have seen it coming... I should have known... When you start producing pink Shalimar, it's the beginning of the end. As they say here, my heart was in my mouth. I could have cried. What is this cherry jam doing here? Cherry and some sort of liquoricy smell to add insult to injury.Why call it a little black dress when it's cherry pie? Unfortunately, I never thought I 'd have to use the dreaded word...Of course, it's COMMERCIAL!!! Forget being inspired, forget doing something different and adventurous. Just put syrup in a pretty bottle with a pretty name and forget about the rest. It will sell for a few months maybe a year. Put another one out on the market as soon as sales dip a bit and call it Frilly Knickers or Cashmere Jumper and I bet you it will sell. Well, my heart is broken truly and surely.

odysseusm's avatar

Windsor by D.R. Harris & co.

Here's a great new scent from the venerable D. R. Harris pharmacy.
    Notes: sweet orange peel extract, nutmeg, black pepper, elemi, geranium, patchouli, vetiver.
    It has an excellent orange opening, quickly followed by peppery spice. The scent is very pleasant and classy at this point -- the notes are really natural-smelling. A hint of lovely geranium rose develops, giving this a British flair. The scent is fresh, invigorating, yet at the same time warm and inviting. The pepper segues into vetiver.
    Top marks for an excellent scent at a great price!

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

As off-the-beaten track cologne flanker for the "Le Soir" line by MFK i prefer the absolute version (which is an EDP) which goes by the name of "Absolute Pour Le Soir" - The Cologne version is lighter, disappears fast and you have to dig your nose into your skin for any sign of it - this has more honey and less incense and is brighter, its much less animalic as well ,given the choice, i'd go for the darker more animalic EDP, i know this is a cologne and its supposed to worn like a second skin - nevertherless for this kind of scent i think "the edge" is what makes it promising and its missing here.

Infusion de Tubéreuse by Prada

A beautifully subtle fragrance, perfect for wearing during the day in the warmer months. A sophisticated scent with none of the cloying sweetness traditionally associated with heady white blooms, like tubereuse.

The perfume smells very powdery and creamy, with subtle licks of petitgrain, blood-orange and some green notes all being married together with a carefully balanced (and not over-powering) tubereuse.

It is never an obvious scent and I never feel that I have put too much on (no matter how much I apply) and yet it has staying power that I wouldn't have expected from such a quiet scent.

Such a shame that it's limited edition!

Ellenisia by Penhaligon's

One of my most favourite florals of all time. So pretty, but not too granny-ish. It lasts well and I'm always being complimented whenever I wear it. Even the bottle is perfect on my dressing table!

There is nothing sexy about this fragrance it's all classy innocence, so not for night wear, but perfect for happy days out with the family picnic-ing in the countryside!

Mon Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

I used to wear Fendi's Palazzo and was devestated when they discontinued it. I loved the chic, not sweet, but powdery drydown of it. I couldn't find anything else that came close to it until Bvlgari released this scent - and it's soooooo much better than Palazzo ever was!

What I like about about this fragrance it how completely and utterly timeless and classy it is. Not too sweet, cloying, musky or too anything in fact - it is beautifully balanced and sophisticated. You could imagine one of those immaculately presented screen sirens of old wearing it, looking effortlessly stylish and stunning. It is a very easy to wear scent during the day, but could also be worn at night, as it has sexy depths that most florals simply can't match.

I LOVE this scent and will be wearing it for many years to come!

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Not for the faint of heart!

This is a heady, sweet scent which just begs for you to have a boudoir of your own in which to seduce men! I really love it (I also really love Coco Chanel and although they are not the same, they are both heavy, cloying, sweet orientals), but even I tend to only wear it after dark or on special occasions.

The sillage is fantastic and men seem to love it. The bottle is a work of art and far too pretty to throw away! I bought my first bottle at seventeen and am now nearly twice that age and on my twentieth bottle and the love affair is far from over.

The original Boudoir is simply the best, the rest don't even come close for me. One of my all time favourites!

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

Baque by Slumberhouse

I really enjoy this fragrance very very much,this Tobacco smelling fragrance has great longevity nice silage. My favorite Tobacco type fragrances are TF Tobacco Vanille & SMN Tobacco Toscano. Now,so is Baque. If you enjoy the Tobacco genre in fragrance this is definitely for you :-)
    A huge thumbs up.

Sassafras's avatar

Realities (original) by Liz Claiborne

Realties is a lovely powdery fresh floral. A soft chamomile rose scent, perfect for the office or casual wear.

I don't think it smells cheap at all, despite it's reasonable price.

halomatic's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Interlude Man by Amouage

quality stuff from Oman again.
    the famous incense married off to modern wood and spices,
    let there be harmony.

photofinish's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

A popular, sweet, candied wood scent packaged in a trashy bottle and marketed to confused youths.

The_Cologneist's avatar

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

I agree with Mario, this is a less offensive TdH. Far more simple, far more versatile. Big compliment getter as well. Does not smell cheap at all, but has a cheap tag.

Math You's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I first tested PE in a department store without any knowledge of the scent beforehand and CK Eternity immediately came to mind. I'm not at all a fragrance pro by any means, but looking at the overviews for each scent on Basenotes I can see why my initial impressions led me to the Eternity comparison; PE & Eternity share lavender top notes, geranium and sage-based mid notes, and some vetiver in the base. With all of that said, I much prefer Chanel's offering. PE is a safe, clean, herbaceous, green frag that I really really like. I also agree with others who note that PE has a metallic characteristic, which is unusual (in a good way) and something I haven't come across before or after purchasing PE. I mentioned that PE is a "safe" scent because I really can't see anyone being offended by this scent. It's very pleasant and unique without being in-your-face or over the top. This is one that could probably be worn year round, but I think this scent shines in the spring and summer months when the warmer weather favors the metallic characteristic I previously mentioned.

*note* it's been said already, but I'll say it again: Don't expect to detect any similarities between Platinum Egoiste and Egoiste. They are two completely different scents and are nothing alike aside from their namesake.

Replica Beach Walk by Martin Margiela

A uninteresting concoction of sweetish clean musks with a touch of coconut. Too simple, too thin...

Replica Funfair Evening by Martin Margiela

A gourmandic "eau" which is able to be both trendy and obsolete at the same time and in a very bad way. Cheap crap.

Replica Flower Market by Martin Margiela

Probably the "best" of the lot. A subtle and trasnparent floral which might do fine during summer. Not particularly interesting and lacking a real bone structure but if you like light modern florals, give it a chance. Inoffensive, sort of generic yet somewhat decent. Me? Pass...

vinramani09's avatar

Black Musk by Montale

Black Musk is lunar and dark. An enigmatic futuristic fragrance despite being an Oriental. For me its a dark , camphorous, cooling yet silver spicy fragrance. The sillage is insane and the longevity is about 10-12 hours on me. Wearing this I feel transported the futuristic world of TRON , clean, pristine, metallic. A winner from the house of Montale!

rttoronto's avatar

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Clean, linen laundry with white muskiness. It's really nice, it's a Chanel, but not one of the standouts.