Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Ar Aitch's avatar

Pierre Cardin pour Homme by Pierre Cardin

Received this for free at one of the perfumeries with a purchase of a burberry scent. It's not bad, though it is confusing to me that I get a strong cinnamon note to it during the drydown that is not one of the listed notes. As SirSlarty says, the sillage is fairly poor, but it's still detectable on the skin for quite a while.

noirdrakkar's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I did enjoy Spicebomb from Viktor and Rolf, so I decided to try their Antidote (which is much different than Spicebomb, to be fair).

I was disappointed.

The problem with this one is that it has way too many ingredients, as you can see, to the point where it is over-complex and confusing. It is not even well-crafted, simply just many random ingredients mixed together. Most good fragrances convey a mood, set an atmosphere, or have a memorable note that make them so useful for a collection. This one, lacks that.

This fragrance is not awful, horrible, terrible, or even bad. It's just mediocre at best. I would rather wear nothing than wear this, to put it concisely.

I honestly can't recommend a purchase, as there are just so many other fragrances on the market in that price range that are significantly better.

Don't even sample this one. Just ignore it.

Darvant's avatar

Soprani Uomo by Luciano Soprani

How could you forget scents like this? An herbal and leathery yellow fluid full of class and discretion. The juice is at once hesperidic-aromatic, piney than finally mossy and leathery  with spicy, floral and musky nuances. The sharpness is not extreme and the juice keeps some grassy and leathery kind of smoothness with a touch of bitterness and a restrained dusty austerity made of oakmoss, incense, olibanum and labdanum. The dry down is absolutely subtle and fine despite its combination of grey-green heavy notes. Classic and conservative with  a touch of mystery.

bFlay's avatar

Capucci pour Homme by Roberto Capucci

Bon giorno! This evokes an Italian bakeshop or sidewalk trattoria. Pungent sweet orange and mulled cider with rich spices and a great masculine base of coffee, leather, patchouli. That sweetness punches through the dark basenotes to make this a refreshing and charismatic fragrance. Last 6+ hours on skin.

Romantina by Juliette Has a Gun

Even though "Romantina" is meant to be less brash than "Lady Vengeance", it came across as much harsher on my skin. I got darker rose and sharp-edged jasmine lightly layered over iron (as opposed to copper, aluminum or steel) in the first fifteen minutes. After that, the scent was nearly all metal and smoke--and I don't mean the sleek blue steel and gunpowder this series is meant to evoke. Gunpowder isn't necessarily a bad thing in a fragrance--"Lady Vengeance" twines it 'round her fingers like a ribbon and uses it to flirt--but in "Romantina" the scent was more sulphurus than smoky, nearly industrial in tone...with overt, nearly grinding iron at the borders. Based on others' reviews here, it may be simply bad skin chemistry, or possibly even a bad sample--but based on others' reviews I'd say my experience isn't necessarily unique.

Péché Cardinal by MDCI

Fruit and white flower scents are not my preference, but the concept of Péché Cardinal appealed to me so much (I am a very ex former-Catholic-schoolgirl, and some ideas retain their hold on a woman’s imagination) that I ordered a sample, reasoning that if I were ever to be converted to this sort of fragrance it would be by one as well-executed as this. And it is indeed well-executed; the first waft of white flowers (lily predominating on my skin, only a hint of tuberose peeking through beneath it) with a bare touch of musk dries within 30 minutes into a sticky-sweet, nearly overripe peach. The drydown is saved from tedium by a thread of currant (though on me it smelled more of red, as in currant jelly, than of black) and a lingering floral background. The perfume doesn’t work for me at all—I find that my dislike of fruity scents is intact after an evening of Cardinal Sin—but I rate it at three stars because someone who loves luscious fruits and white flowers will probably like this perfume a great deal, and because its sillage and lasting power were both above average.

Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto

Narcotic indeed. “A drug (as opium or morphine) that in moderate doses dulls the senses, relieves pain, and induces profound sleep but in excessive doses causes stupor…” (courtesy Merriam-Webster). ‘Narcotic’ is probably the very least of the claims that could be made of this perfume. As an avowed and congenital tuberose addict (I chose tuberose fragrances long before I knew anything about tuberoses, or about fragrance notes), it’s natural I’d want to try this; what was unexpected was the depth of instant addiction to which I tumbled at first (second, third…sixteenth) sniff. Twining, voluptuous tuberose layers over a dark, thrumming summons of a scent—spice, animal, smoke so intricately interwoven that they form a new note altogether, one which might well recall the scent of burning opium. And yet the scent is too insistent, too immediate for the slow, somnolent drift of the opium-smoker: “Narcotic Venus” is olfactory heroin, hitting your frontal lobe in a swift, swelling wave that drags you under and keeps you drowning in its pull. Sillage is moderate, endurance is exceptional…Five stars? Yes. And my firstborn.

pianist75's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

this is the best there is!!! no need to talk about it! powerful juice ! my favorite so far

23 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2012)

pianist75's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

thumbs up!! vintage vintage fahrenheit where are you? the new crap juice they make now days man...i hate it!!! sucks! but still amazing frag with personality not for the shy boys! amazing silage and longevity! 5 stars!!
    ps: don't bother buying the new wateredown version of this frag...waisting your money! sorry DIOR,

23 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2012)

rttoronto's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

The thing that strikes me the most about 31 Rue Cambon is that it is so very Chanel. Chanel pyramid present in over abundance and that's a good thing. Unisex, beautiful and one of the Les Exclusifs standouts.

23 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2013)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

It is an old classic, 30 years. It opens with a bit too much lavender and spice for my liking. Reminds me of an old guy wearing a threadbare suit - genteel. Not recommended as a blind buy or for younger people. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me. Great projection and sillage, and very good longevity. It has been around forever, so it has staying power. Unlike other reviewers, it IS linear on my skin.

23 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2013)

JackTwist's avatar

Moods Uomo by Krizia

Ericrico and Shamu1 have said all that there is to say about this wonderful scent - I would not have known about it except for the fact that the latter Basenotes member praised it as his favorite scent of all time on his personal blog page.

On me this begins as a warm, gentle woods/spice combination that is captivating. After two hours, it is a perfect tobacco scent. Throughout it is not harsh or in your face - always subtle, expanding and changing almost imperceptibly.

It is a great shame it is discontinued. I will be buying up bottles of this fine scent - quite affordable at present - so that I am never without it.

Safetyjon's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

For some reason, I put this fragrance on the shelf for several months. After trying it again, I came away very impressed. It reminds me of several other very pleasant fragrances. For example, Escada pH shares several notes with Versace pH (vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli and musk) and reminds me quite a bit of this enjoyable fragrance. The sandalwood & vanilla occassionally reminds me of Channel Egoiste. The pepper & vanilla combination occasionally reminds me of YSL Opium. Although it reminds me of several other fragrances, Escada pH is in itself an excellent fragrance with good sillage and very good longevity. I'm glad I pulled it off my shelf and rediscovered it.

fit&frag'd's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

I almost didn't give this one a chance, as I found the original and flankers just "ok", but nothing special and not full-botlle worthy. I'm glad I did try this one again, however, as I actually really enjoy "Extreme" and find it different enough from the rest. While the name doesn't seem fitting, I truly found this one enjoyable from start to finish. The opening of light mint & citrus feels nice and fresh, then the middle and dry-down finish very fresh, clean & even a bit "rich", without smelling of soap or detergent.

As a "clean" scent, I still found this one to be masculine enough, and it has great longevity with "sneaky" projection. I get AT LEAST 4-6 hours of good (but not too much) projection, and that's in the summer heat & humidity. Then, as a skin scent it just lasts and lasts...in a "good" way. I know this is considered by many to be a "safe" and "simple" fragrance, and perhaps it is, but it sure smells nice to me, and my wife really likes it on me as well. Gets a solid "A" in my book for what it is...a good daily, fresh & clean fragrance with a good bit of versatility to boot. I'll be getting a full bottle shortly!

My_pep_pep's avatar

Memoir Woman by Amouage

About the list of notes....I read it and it just looks like a bunch of stuff, I can't really relate it to what Memoir Woman actually smells like.

This fragrance smells rich and powerful, strong, almost overwhelming. It smells like burning incense to me, but that's not doing it justice....it's super deluxe burning incense with flowers, a little earthy or gritty something going on, but overall just hard to describe. Resins, flowers, and earthy spices. It's a BIG scent and was almost too much for me.

I wore this to the Dead Can Dance concert in Chicago's Millenium Park. It was almost too much even for an outdoor event, especially since I usually apply really lightly with all my fragrances. I decided it was a special occasion and I wanted to step outside my comfort zone, and I really put on a lot (for me). So I love the way Memoir Woman smelled on me, but I can't imagine many other situations in life where this would be appropriate. Way too strong to wear indoors unless it's a large open space.

So, yeah....maybe I could get a large decant but there wouldn't be much point in getting a whole bottle. I love this scent but I don't really wear it as much as it wears me. I think anyone who's really into fragrance should try this or something like it, something so rich and over the top, but such high quality.

harithhussin's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

at first..i very like it because it has strawberry scent n i like fruitty scent..The only one i hate is the drydown..smells like cheap deodorent i wore last 5 year..And this cheap scent last on me..

Jasmine Musk by Tom Ford

The initial jasmine blast is wonderful. It lasts about half an hour, and the scent is retreating very close to my skin. The base note is a very light musk with a touch of fruitiness, but less interesting than for instance Urban Musk from the same series. After a bit more than two hours it is gone.

Kymtje's avatar

Rose Noir by Byredo

Opens with a punchy deep rose with a fair bit of citrus before moving into a musky, dusky dry down.

I would like to wear this when I am an old lady.

bluesaffron's avatar

Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

This is not a bad cologne, but not very bold or distinctive. A bit of a powdery talcum scent to it, and relatively light. It's a good choice for daily wear, but there are many better colognes out there.

Opus II by Amouage

Lavender, bay and jasmine dominate the top note, with a green and refreshing initial impression, underlined by a rich cardamom. Cinnamon and especially jasmine and rose come to the fore in the drydown, and apart from a touch of would it turns delightfully floral without, however, being very unique or exciting. A little bit of frankincense is notable, but his oriental is a bit on the fresher and floral side. Limited silage and projection, with a longevity of between two and three hours. High quality ingredients, but not really a particularly remarkable creation.

david.ampiah's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Albeit a newbie to notes, it is obviously perceivable that luxury is encamped in this juice . This is my signature scent i have longed searched. Been a fan of M7 but the oud seemed a little overbearing than what i get in this EDP by Mr. Guerlain, its smooth through out the drive to the base. i must say this is true masterpiece. HR edp..... i salute you

drseid's avatar

Oud Stars : Al-Khatt by Xerjoff

Al Khatt opens with a sugary sweet slightly orange-like cotton candy accord primarily made up of bergamot and jasmine, with a musky undertone from cashmeran present nearly from the get-go. The Oud completely presents itself in the early heart notes, coming off as quite animallic smelling with an odor of a petting zoo, farm or circus. This animallic nature couples with the still ever-present musky cotton candy from the earlier notes to form a not entirely bizarre, but certainly abnormal combination. The animallic nature of the Oud dies down a bit but never completely dissipates, leaving the sweetness and muskiness remaining until vanilla from the base further sweetens the scent as the last of the animallic accord completely dissipates. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Al Khatt, like most of the Xerjoff range is a bit of a disappointment. It is *way* too sweet and the animallic early heart notes are quite off-putting. The overall scent reminds me of being a spectator under the big top of a traveling circus with its animal stench and cotton candy wafting smells from the crowd. This all sounds much worse than it really is, but the end result is Al Khatt is not what I would ever want to smell like, nor smell on others. Adding to the case to pass on Al Khatt is its relatively high price of $315 per 50 ml bottle. The scent has some merit so I award it a below average to average rating of 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5 for the smell, but if you want to experience what a traveling circus smells like, go to the real thing and save some money over this mediocre offering from Xerjoff.

Opus I by Amouage

Sweet fruit, cardamom and jasmine is what I get initially, on a rich but not too overwhelming fashion. Lily of the Valley is added and rose in very high quality, but not very much more convincing or even less than in some other fragrances produced by other houses. A touch of wood and vetiver hardly stand a chance in this well-rounded and otherwise well-blended oriental but the Tonka is quite strong, and overall the many components of this fragrance are not all contributing convincingly. Reasonable silage and projection and a good longevity of five hours. A close call, but just not as good as my favorite amongst the Armouage Opera, which is Opus IV.

RobbieX's avatar

Cuba Prestige by Cuba Paris

Very similar to Amen. If you like Amen, you'll be OK with this. Vanilla, spices, coffee notes. Powerful. Lasting power great. Big thumbs up from me.

Darvant's avatar

Drakkar Dynamik by Guy Laroche

Recently i picked up (just for a testing dab) a dusty vintage bottle nearby an old store in south Italy and i have to say that the juice itself is weird and detergent kind with a fruity stressed first stage and a vague woody dry down. I catch absolutely the piquancy at the beginning in its fruity (sporty and metallurgical "deodorant kind")  projection and i suppose this is the dynamic effect. Anyway, a scent obviously  forgotten. Unwearable nowadays.

magali's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Quite interesting and certainly unusual, almost medicinal. I like the bottle design a lot too. I don't know much about Cartier fragrances but it would certainly prompt me to try a few more.

Globe by Rochas

A bergamot, coriander, geranium, artemisium, cumin, jasmine and rose opening leads to a herbal-floral-green mix that is quite unique. Later thyme adds more of the green part, and vetiver and wood are coming to the fore in the base notes. it sounds as if this fragrance tries to be everything, but nonetheless it is quite convincing is achieving this. The top notes break through later on, and the wood remains more in the background. Average silage and projection, but poor longevity of less that two hours.

jPhx's avatar

Angel Schlesser by Angel Schlesser

I returned to this scent that was a former favorite late last night after a long sabbatical to find, as before, the quickly enveloping fresh and deodorising citrusy fragrance of the bergamot and mandarin orange. Perfect for warmer days that are not too hot. However, this time I noticed the strong and heady smell of spices - cardamon and pepper - that quickly kicked in, lending a unisex and youthful air while still being quite light. The drydown is reminiscent of soft white musk and blond woods and while no longer a firm favorite due to the spicey trace smell, it is a fine and still unusual scent that is best first tried rather than be the subject of a blind buy and great for daytime use.

Elzéard's avatar

Interlude Woman by Amouage

Dirty, woody... oudhy? This is a complicated fragrance. It's dark and mysterious, and particularly alluring. This is one you will have to smell frequently, if only to understand it. The dry down gets even dirtier, which is in no way a bad thing.

Elzéard's avatar

Nahéma by Guerlain

Soft, buttery, creamy, definitely Guerlain. Six hours down the line it ends up more as skimmed milk than cream, but regardless of this, its entire duration is a breath of fresh air.