Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

heavenscent1's avatar

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Very nice quality perfume as with all Chanels. Top notes very green as mentioned already. Not my favorite Chanel, but definitely wearable.

heavenscent1's avatar

Coco by Chanel

Thumbs was up on this one. Probably my favorite Chanel scent, but I do love the orientals and this one has that spiciness I like. She is deep and alluring, very sexy. Aredore describes her very well.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

B Men is a similar scent to A Men. It's not as strong as A Men, but it has the same DNA. It's a safe buy. I recommend Pure Havane or Pure Malt before buying this one. This one just doesn't stand out of the Thierry Mugler collection. But, if you are a collector, or you can get this one at a low price then go for it!

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

Imagine cold grapefruit and a little bit of anise at first sniff, inhale and you'll get nutmeg, ginger and lots of smoky woods. After a few hours, what's left are the smoke, some ginger and vetiver.
    What's not to like on that? It's strong, masculine and has lots of potential to become a classic, best seller, everything Le Male should have been but is, due to the hype and genius marketing.

Romantic/clubbing fragrance, great for autumn/winter/spring nights.

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

This is some quality juice not for everyone or anytime.
    There's some ginger and anise at first sniff, it's spicy yet subtle and I get some whiskey or is it probably the woods that are the same. Then you'll immediately get some smoky woods, like from classic fragrances, for people that have smelled hachis, yes, you will get hachis, not burned hachis and then something green very subtle as well in the mid notes, all this very well mixed with cinnamon, remember Obsession, well, like that but add lots of smoke. For the dry down there's the smoke still, this is the most prominent note, that makes the fragrance seems linear for some except if you can sniff it carefully and try to identify its components.

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

I ended up buying a 180ml bottle go figure out why. The most prominent notes are the citric ones during the opening and then basil and jasmine, like lots of basil, why do my old memories of this fragrance were something melony? After a few hours I can sniff the cedar, the rest are complimentary notes for me. The sillage is not great for a eau de parfum, but with a 180ml bottle, I don't expect to get anything better up till I get to the half of it at least.

Safetyjon's avatar

Lomani by Lomani

Primarily Drakkar Noir with a hint of Aramis Tuscany, especially in the opening and middle. Less "spicy" than Drakkar Noir, Sillage is average and longevity is less than average. Not bad for the price.

jimmysmellworld's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Brilliant scent, complex and classy while masculine and warm. This is a classic masculine that opens up with a wall of different notes which to some could be quite intimidating and overwhelming at first spray, one needs to let it dry down, let them meld together and feel the aura warmth surround you; you'll exude sheer class and smell damn good. Its not for everyone though, if you are unfortunate and inconsiderate enough to only wear the likes of 1milion or JPG then i'll hazard a guess that you wont like this. It's For guys 25 and up who are actually cool as opposed to guys who think they're cool. If you wear and love the likes of Rive Gauche like myself, then buy this now, cheap too.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Azzaro Pour Homme L'Eau by Azzaro

Why neutral? Well, original is original and that's that. There is a strange watery echo in this fragrance in the dry-down, not necessarily bad. Citruses are mildly felt only in the initial moments after spraying but all in all this scent is too similar at one point to the original, at the other point it is way similar to the Cerruti 1881. So, all in all not bad, classic scent in the spirit of the 1980's but also unnecessary and I find it quite doubtful that it'll be noticed or get a lot of attention.

sin_is_in's avatar

Germany Germany

Aedes de Venustas (new) by Aedes de Venustas

Very sharp rhubarb with a citrus edge form the apple. Everything else is pretty non-existant. Incense is hardly detectable, same with the leaves and the nutty notes.

Anybody who can't handle sharp citrus notes should stay away, I think I am actually having an allergic reaction to this as it makes me sweat and my eyes water, gives me a headache that I didn't get from CDG'S rhubarb which is not too different from this and much cheaper.

Bani Paul's avatar

India India

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This perfume is very much confusing for me.I cant really explain the notes.Sometimes its somewhat nasty and sometimes mind blowing.I m wearin this for sometime now.Sometimes i like it but it is awful quite a few times.I get smell like cherry blast ,nasty socks,overly used musk etc.Proberbly i like it sometimes because its loud and everybody turns head but not sure ,is it because its too much unpleasent sometimes.Reviewers say its a classic but in present times you get a lot of same smelling cheap mask but good thing is the longivity.It lasts long ,very long.The opening of the perfume is so crazy that some people around may not recognise it as a perfume ,but they might think ,its some kind of chemical.Drydown is pleasent but a little lady like smell.It can be kept in the collection as its a classic but cant really used as signature scent. This is truely outdated ,u can buy lot more better things out of your bucks.

chrisaxp's avatar

Nautica Blue by Nautica

I got this for under $10.00 on Amazon and I have enjoyed it this summer. It is light, very citrusy and floral. It is a good "workhorse scent" for the hottest days of the year. I wear it on hot summer days when I have had enough acqua di gio. I really enjoyed it later in the evening after a work out and a shower, it was very refreshing. Well worth $10.00, but I wouldn't spend more than $20.00

chrisaxp's avatar

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

Initial impression: It is a very strange combination of citris and leather. Initially it seemed weak (hence the extra chest spray) but then it became very strong and the leather and Cedar came out clearly. It is now 7 hours later, and I had an active day in a hot room, and the fragrance is still present. It is now much more subtle and more citrusy.

Great Longevity on this scent. I do need a woman's opinion on this one before I make a purchase decision.
    I did notice that when I was perspiring there was a metalic smell that is not present now.

SusyQ's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Bespoke : Cuir Fauve by Keiko Mecheri

This might be called a male fragrance but I think it is very unisex. On my skin this is a warm and very linear scent; what I experience the first minutes is what I'll have for the next 6 hours. And that is - heaven.
    Cuir Fauve is leathery - but not at all as distinct (or smokey!) as Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, and it does not turn woody like TL as time goes.
    I would say CF is quite spicy, but not at all in an "oriental" way, if that makes any sense?

When I let my father (who is a real perfumista) smell this he closed his eyes and sighed. "This is walking over a stableyard with dust and sunlight in the air, then reaching the shade in the shelter and leaning your head against a leather saddle and a brown stallion, feeling the warmth radiating from the animal."

I think that's an accurate and wonderful description.

It lasts for about 6 hours on me, and it stays close to the skin.

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Opus VI by Amouage

In short, If King Faisal in Lawrence of Arabia wore a scent it has to be "Opus VI" - not any other Amouage ..not any other brand or make or composition but "Opus VI" - I was just blown away by this - it has exotic middle eastern non-oud vibe, which i love - an intricate oriental - almost edible but not cloyingly gourmandish it also gives away the vibe that you are probably very rich with oil wells dug a plenty in your native arabia - believe me you can even make up your own country, ALL HAIL the Royal Prince of Opustan.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Azzaro Pour Homme Night Time by Azzaro

Sweet, a bit cold in charachter, but masculine and nothing to do with the original. Its only potential fail would be the marketing or, to be precise lack thereof. If you're into Escada Magnetism for men, Roberto Cavalli Black or La Nuit de L'Homme or Feragammo F Black then this is your scent! I almost dare call it a "player". Very contemporary fragrance with no hint of clasicism of the original. Cedar and vetiver give quite a dose of mascunlinity whilst the sweetness is constantly retained and present. I'm not expecting it to become a hype on Basenotes, but I'll make sure to mention it here in the forums once in a while because in my opinion it deserves to be noticed. Longevity and sillage are astonishing so be careful when applying. Thumb up for this one! To say the truth, I expected it to be quite a fail and I'm so glad it proved me otherwise.

26th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th December, 2012)

Kake718's avatar

Gaiac 10 by Le Labo

Gaiac 10 was a total puzzle to me the first time I tried it, simple, generic, boring. Yawn.
    A couple of years later Le labo again launched all of the City exclusives at all of their boutiques, I don't know what propelled me to try it again. This time I was blown away by it. enough to buy the 100ml bottle, a year later, the bottle has been refilled , I have made this my signature scent for work, under a suit. radiant soft woods, spiritual muscs, incense and cedar. something so simple, made into a modern masterpiece by a master nose, meditative, contemplative, with a stealth silage and fantastic longevity.
    However, Vanille 44 is having the same effect on me, I acquired a bottle a couple of weeks ago. Le Labo opened a new Paris Boutique and released their Paris exclusive everywhere for a month. I also love the fact that I most likely will never smell these on anyone else, I guess the two can live together.

26th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st May, 2013)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

It took me a while with this one, but I still don't get the strawberries, and get very little cocoa that everyone speaks of. The opening is a mix of citruses and alcohol, smells very synthetic and cheap. Eventually the dry down of woodsy notes with a hint of a soft/light cocoa take effect. Opening sucks, dry down is pretty nice. Not worth buying though.

26th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27th May, 2014)

theEastsidEbullEE's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

Very unique scent that reminds me of Paco Rabbane's 1 Million but not as fruity/more floral. Good projection, great for nights out, and lasts a very long time!!!

RickS1169's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

GREAT smelling cologne. HORRIBLE longevity, maybe an hour at most. if only an intense version could come out or reformulate it to have a few more hours on the longevity and projection....

Erok32's avatar

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

The scent is amazing but the longevity is dismal. If this were offered in an EDT it would surely be my signature scent. I now only wear it at night in doors. A thumbs up because of the scent and the price.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This one smells like a lemon cream pie. Not cloying at all. You wont be disappointed with this one.Great job chanel.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Another winner! You may not like the initial spray on this one. Waning: Can be cloying if heavy on the sprayer. After the first 30 minutes or so, you have a hec of a fragrance. Last about 6 to 7 hours. A must have.

rbaker's avatar

Vétyver by Molinard

An absolutely wonderful, rich and strong pure vetiver blast greets me - emphasizing the dirty and raw side of it but nonetheless distinct vetiver. It is less bright and dirtier than, for instance, Creed's Vetiver 1948. Although with a bit of wood added, it is more monochromes than its ubiquitous Guerlain cousin, but not at all less convincing. After the first hour it remains close to my skin, but its total longevity of two hours is not bad for an EdC.

rbaker's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

Tobacco with wood and honey galore in the opening blast, a truly glorious start. After about half an hour the drydown is characterised by vanilla and a floral note with patchouli and sweet incense also present. On my skin this becomes quite sweet with a boudoir-powdery component that at times dominates the fragrance. After about five hours a beautiful honeyed note takes centre stage for a while, to then gradually fade away. A complex but never overloaded scent, well blended and going through several interesting stages, with wonderful projection and longevity of ten hours.

dollars&scents's avatar

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating and herbal, lavender accord. The fresh and clean lavender commingles with the pungent, medicinal bitterness of wormwood. An aldehyde-like effervescence can be sensed as the accord percolates and drifts to the heart. Here, in the middle, florals infuse and transform the lavender. Orange blossom, with its fruity sweetness, a sweet rose, as well as bourbon geranium, with its flowery and sweetly green facets, usurp the lavender. The lavender takes on a more floral slant. A hint of saltiness flutters about. Segueing to the mellow base, the woody resins of amber interplay with the vanillic, nutty and somehwat spicy aspects of tonka bean. A more camphoraceous and slightly smoky lavender develops. A touch of powderiness presents. Plumes of foresty oakmoss as well as earthy patchouli appear here and there. A shower of bourbon vanilla imparts its woody and aromatic facets. The fascinating blending of the foregoing leads to a resplendent drydown. This all-season, well-blended, and masculine composition can prove to be very versatile. Wonderfully, this somewhat classy scent has very good projection, a 2-foot scent cloud, and longevity, about 10 hours.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

La Colección : 3 by Loewe

This scent is all about Iris in a sublime and spiritual way.

The scent starts with a refined note of bergamot and possibly lemony citrus, after a few minutes the iris takes centre stage and enchants you for hours, this iris is ethereal, has wings and keeps you flying for hours.

The drydown is a mixture of iris and cedarwood and again the scent takes an spiritual level altogether.

Is this one of the best perfumes recently launched worldwide?

Quizas, quizas, quizas...

Big thumbs up...!

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Nice summer scent that starts very citrusy and refreshing,

The heart is caramelised sugar that gets wrapped up in vanilla and woody notes after a while.

The longevity is good for about 6 hours max.

Lovely bottle and packaging, however on the down side, the price tag is just excessive for what the juice quality is all about.

Get it at a reduced price if you can.

MisterT's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is by far the best fragrance I have smelled in a long time. I had Saks make me a sample, and I went through it in no time. This is, without a doubt, my next purchase. Gucci Pour Homme ll will be my new signature scent.

silentrich's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

Cut my fragrance teeth on Aspen. It was the first fragrance I owned and I over sprayed it every time I wore it. Came back later to revisit it and I have to say it's still a great smelling fragrance. Reminds me of Cool Water and Polo Green mixed together. It's my favorite pine fragrance and something I'll always have in my collection.