Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

masj78's avatar

L.12.12 Bleu / Blue by Lacoste

Medicinal minty,zesty,sweet. Quite unusual. I find it very pleasant and different. Has good longevity. Quite fruity. Can detect the grapefruit. Mild spicy woods.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I've always been a fan of original Poison, it being my Mum's perfume of choice throughout most of my childhood; So I thought I would try this for myself. It's not nearly as pungent as original poison, and is a lot sweeter. On initial spray I found it was nothing really spectacular, but once it dried a few seconds you could really smell the warm vanilla, musk and light jasmine that seems just enough to be elegant and not gagingly gaudy or sickly sweet. To be honest I really can't stop smelling my wrist after testing this one! It is as the name suggests; hypnotic.

catsngunsnyarn's avatar

So Hooked on Carmella by Benefit

Carmella is a creamy white floral, buttery vanilla, with a primal green jungleish tinge. I love it.

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

It comes on a little strong on initial spray, but it is a lovely blending of flowery and fruity and some overly sweet vanilla that rather gave me a headache. It reminds me of the sweet scents I used to wear in high school, but are too sweet for my tastes now.
    It's a lovely scent, but it is too sweet for me.

jimmyfresno's avatar

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Dated. clumsy, heavyhanded and nauseating. I wore this in the 80s and dont' know how I managed it.

Revisiting it in the context of some knowledge about fragrances, I appreciated the beeswax (they're calling it honey) note hidden in the murk of horrible "Fruit Loops" synthetic florals and fruit. The basenotes are so insinuated into this sickening mess that they are overpowered by the aromachemical catastrophe that Boss is.

My real pity is for the female or other partner of the innocent man who applies this miasma to his chest and has to smell it while next to him.

I am wondering if they are still employing Pierre Wargnye, the perpetrator of this scent.

vintage*red's avatar

Violette In Love by Nicolaï

This one is a lovely but shy violet/iris accord that is sweetened by raspberry and saved by a good dose of pepper and a pinch of musk. There are similarities to Insolence, but Insolence packs a punch that keeps things interesting. There are no green notes as in Aimez-Moi or vanilla notes as in the new L'Heure Bleue, either. This Violette is fairly sheer and dry yet it never approaches the painful beauty of the sheerest violet, Apres L'Ondee. For violet lovers, only...

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I give this a neutral, but that doesn't mean I am not a fan.

For me, it doesn't really suit my personality - powerhouses usually do not. However, it is a gorgeous anise scent that always garners compliments when I wear it. I don't find it all that sexy...but it is strong and masculine like a Polo or Quorum. I can see why it is so popular globally. Longevity and sillage are above average, and you can pick it up at Marshalls or other discounters in the US.

I guess the real issue for me is how linear it is on me...there are few changes that I can detect from the beginning to the end many hours later. Lots of great notes, but nothing stands out above the anise, and I suspect that was part of the original plan.

Pretty good stuff. Wore it this morning to the mall.

Gingersnpr's avatar

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

This to me is Beachy and sexy. I can't count how many times people have asked what I am wearing. I find it's in the same realm as Jglow and breathless by Victorias Secret. But this one is perfect and no way like sand and sable which some people say. I tried sand and sable. My husband said I smelled old.
    So note to self, NEVER sample that again. Lol

nefastvs's avatar

Costes by Hôtel Costes

Starts of very nice and interesting, with a musky, dusty, incensed rose scent. After about a half hour, it dries down to a cloying old-lady smell.

Miss_Madeleine's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

I fell in love with this at Liberty London before reading any reviews (probably a good idea anyway), so was surprised to read it's considered a men's fragrance as I think it's one of the most feminine scents I own. Okay, MY interpretation of feminine (not a fan of florals). The longevity is impressive and the rose lingers throughout the dry down even as the incense base announces itself. I get bergamot as a top note which dissipates gently while allowing the rose and incense forth-is that frankincense? I find the whole fragrance experience quite mystical really, conjuring the sense of an ancient stone church with the door open to luscious Spring afternoon. I am on my second bottle and that's a strong vote of approval from me. I am heading to London again as I am starting to run low and I remember liking Le Labo's London exclusive, Poivre 23, as well.

27 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2012)

's avatar

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A common trap for oriental perfumery is to throw every heavy material into a formula: amber, syrup, benzoin--you get the picture. Unfortunately, Absolue pour le Soir is no exception to this pattern; a heavy, flat-footed brick with no discernible quality other than its clumsiness.

27 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2012)

Cadillac by Cadillac

This review is for the BLACK version...

It smells like a knock - off of Le Male by JPG. Not bad, but kinda cheap. I gave it to my 6 year old to wear to school. He loves the stuff.

27 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

Radiant, clean and soapy mélange of aromatic grass, translucent flowers, musk and fruits. The note of magnolia is royal  and slightly cedary. The dreamy dry down is a rosey and musky fruity syrup of apple and (mostly) pears. The latter are a key element and the final soap is green-musky, aromatic, white and fruity with rosey accents. Feminine (a white lace dressed ethereal woman), romantic and out of time.

27 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Encounter by Calvin Klein

The juice is not bad itself and at the end of its journey turns out as a sharp and uncompromisingly masculine spicy-dark (ambery?) concoction definitely conventional in its woodsy virile dry down. The modern "encounter" of almost fizzy boozy notes, citrus, prickly  dustiness and light cedar produces a sharp, slightly fluidy (i would say sparkling), alcoholic, averagely cool,  fruity (even due the pleasant note of mandarine) dark depth with the sophisticated spark from the floral note represented in here by an obscure jasmine. At this point i catch a vague reminiscence of the first Ungaro III lighter stage when the sparkling vodka splash is still swirling in the air. The floral-citrusy  booziness is kind of aqueous-sporty-dynamic and the woodiness from the oud is definitely not stark or medicinal but simply astringent, cedary, dusty and masculine. The juice, in its soul, is a compromise between a classic woodsy-floral masculine and a modern watered down (lighter)  citrusy ozonic (although it is not an ozonic one). The dry down reminds a classic woodsy-ambery and spicy powerhouse base but in a less heavy and more modern (cozy, chic, cool, boozy, dark)and alcoholic  way. Cute bottle.

27 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2013)

rttoronto's avatar

Coco Noir by Chanel

The most masculine Coco to date, very unisex but a real mess, smells like they threw everything in here INCLUDING the kitchen sink. Even smells like Allure Homme Sport is in the mix.

27 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2014)

nefastvs's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Tried it in Paris first (at the Creed boutique) and wasn't overly impressed. Then I tried it again at ScentBar in LA... and this one is a winner. The fruity and piney galbanum create an almost floral tea scent. The drydown is really fresh and fasntastic, with the galbanum and petitgrain expressing more. Sillage on this one was pretty good... lasted me a good few hours. Lovely scent for outdoor formal settings (e.g. outdoor wedding).

Charisma by Avon

I had a bottle of this in the shape of a silver and Red robin when I was little. The bottle was adorable, but I think the perfume had gone bad. All I smelled was pungent alcohol and a very strong, antiseptic, rosy smell. I would like to try smelling this one from a bottle I know isn't past its prime.

rttoronto's avatar

1000 by Jean Patou

This must be what heaven smells like. And don't bother with reformulations because they are miles away from the vintage. The real stuff is the most intoxicating and complex perfume I have ever experienced.

sjg3839's avatar

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

What is this stuff? Don't waste your money on this one.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

Unlike any other "Vetiver" fragrance or subsidiary I own - or have tried. Honestly, I don't get the usual rooty and earthy...and soapy viibe that I enjoy from Guerlain and Tom Ford.

I also don't get a dirty vetiver that Dirty English, Encre Noir and Zirh Ikon.

This one is nice and smoky - and has that herbal/woody thing going on that can be commonplace in lines of lesser quality. It's work-safe, and date-safe. I wouldn't wear it in a situation that called for a statement...it's not that kind of EDT.

For me, it's personal - and I wear it when I'm having beers with other couples - or in a situation where it's relaxed...like a winery or church function.

It doesn't last all that long, and projection on me is limited...but that is fine by me. For $50 bucks, it gives me four solid hours of uniqueness. It's not a common scent in St. Louis - at least that is what the reps at the stores here have told me.

Enjoy

sjg3839's avatar

Hummer by Hummer

This is not a bad fragrance. Not expensive. This is a good stater kit cologne. Had my bottle for a few years and it still smells the same.

ANDRE BELEZE's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I am a collector and passionate about fragrances and inside my collection with about 120 fragrances can say that Egoiste is the number 1 and there is none that can compare to it at least to my knowledge fragrâcias is something inexplicable, a fragrance God that was made by the nose of a master, I am sad to have known Egoiste a little late, but now I want to enjoy every moment of this masterpiece, every moment, every change in my skin, and only a true olfactory perfection, not let today a review of its more technical notes, but I only speak of her beauty that not everyone can appreciate.

Beano1551's avatar

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

Great fresh scent! It comes and goes. Many compliments.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Love Dirty English - and its one of those scents that has been marketed perfectly (even though it was discontinued).

It smells dirty...but when I have it on, the leather in it makes me want to sniff my arm...alot. So much so in fact, a co-worker thought I was doing cocaine at my desk because of how many times my right arm went to my nose in 8 hours.

I liken it to Zirh Ikon. There is a vetiver note, and it can be isolated...but it's not the focus. It smells 'manly', but in a raw...primal way. It is good for rock shows and clubs - and also for outdoor adventures. Some will hate it for the reasons I like it, but hey - that's what's good about perfume...it's subjective.

I dig it, and will likely stock up when it starts disappearing. Spray liberally, because it's longevity is not as beastly as the scent.

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain

I had to look for this one so that I could give it a test in person before buying.

I have to start off by saying that the original Guerlain Vetiver is probably the closest thing I have to a signature scent. It's clean and soapy - and has that tobacco sweetness that gives it a bit of sexuality.

Vetiver Extreme is darker and smells a bit dirty - which is cool because I wanted something different. The grass is much more present here, and the absence of the tobacco is noted without question. It feels a bit naked for a few hours.

I would not reccomend this one to others becuase it is an acquired taste. I like it, but it's not mainstream...and casual cologne wearers would think it's a bit harsh.

It's somewhere between the original Guerlain formulation and Encre Noir. I can guarantee that I am the only man in a city of 70,000 that has this in his cabinet and actually wears it out. That's also a good thing.

hickorysmoke's avatar

Usher for Men by Usher

Smells like window cleaner and cat piss - simply horrible.

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir White No. 1585 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Good thing Bath and Body Works carries this one CHEAP ($20 for 75ml) because the longevity is extremely poor.

That's OK though, because what it lacks in duration it more than makes up for in everything else. Elixir White is clean and soapy - very much a barbershop scent. I would compare it to Creed's Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne and Tom Ford's Blue Neroli.

It's a perfect 'airplane' scent. It's not going to offend anyone, and it's pretty close to the skin. You can smell it, but others will only get the occasional whiff when you scratch your head. A good work scent if you carry a decant in your pocket and freshen up at noon.

The grapefruiit is the best part. The bright, sunny beginning leads almost immediately into Platimun Egoiste territory, with the woodsy/spicy middle...and ends up clean and smooth. You could almost wear it to bed if you wanted to.

Spray liberally if you want this one noticed, or don't (like I do).

Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga

Quite sweet and dense. Somewhat metallic, which can happen with violet leaf scents.
    Where's the pepper? Where's the moss?
    A fairly ponderous floral chord, not particularly charming.
    Develops into the scent of a dewy garden after a rain -- but that sounds nicer than it actually is.

Valentina by Valentino

Sweet. Super sweet. Intensely sweet. Candied.
    Young, girly, giggly.
    A veritable bon-bon.
    Like biting into a perfume-drenched sugar cube.

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphéa by Guerlain

After trying a couple of cutie-pie lollipops, this is a bracing alternative!
    Quite intense for a Guerlain AA.
    The "green notes" are working overtime here.
    The initial blast is lovely and dry. Unfortunately, that does not last long enough.
    Develops a lovely but fairly sweet floral note. Probably the honey note does not hold back.
    Still, it is a lovely floral. If you like sweet ones, give this a sniff. Very spring-like.