Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

Nice fragrance. Something different in the world of men's colognes. Not for everyday use. If I use this more than two consecutive days, I get a little tired of it. But this is one worth purchasing.

vintage*red's avatar

Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Unlike any other Lutens, this fragrance is very "chypre-like" so it captured my heart immediately. It speaks with a clear but not loud voice. The slightly spicy accord comes from the scent of old-fashioned clove carnations, which are more peppery to my nose than they are spicy clove. It is a "clear" scent, especially for Lutens, but it is in no way "sheer". Although there is a floral element, I would not classify this as a floral. And, I would not call it angry, either. Instead, it unfolds with a brightness and a playful elegance like many classic Chanels. Longevity and sillage are moderate and I can imagine this on a man or a woman. Unusual and compelling, it is a winner!

vintage*red's avatar

Coco Noir by Chanel

My first reaction was "Chanel, in the form of Angel". My second reaction was "Chanel, in the form of Lolita Lempicka". There is no anise note stated in the description, but I can smell it. Thus the noir? Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad fragrance, but I have smelled it all before. And the elegance of Coco is lost in a gooey, fruity patchouli that is infused with licorice. Chanel was kind enough to send me a sample beautifully wrapped in Chanel splendor, but I think that I will stick to Coco which was once considered a "Big 80's" bowl you over oriental. I got the streamlined elegance of Coco right from the beginning but this new Coco Noir just makes me appreciate the old Coco even more! A reluctant "thumbs up".

Neil4Speed's avatar

Play Leather Edition : Le Parfum Couture by Givenchy

Definitely do get the blast of leather on the top notes quite synthetic and sharp. Afterwords settles into something more similar to Play Intense, and finally settling with Play with a faint leather note. Personally, not even close to being worth the extra cost. Get regular play instead (which is a fragrance i have recently learned to enjoy very much)

Kymtje's avatar

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

A simple summery fragrance, very well priced too.

Starts nice and green with lots of sweet tea notes, then into lemon and orange with a touch of floral.

This doesn't go anywhere particularly exciting but what it does it does well.

drseid's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Alien opens with a blast of white floral jasmine with an almost oud-like undertone that melds with the florals extremely well. The jasmine and oud-like woody notes at the heart are sweetened by amber in the base... and that is pretty much it. The scent is extremely minimalist and linear and what you get up top remains throughout. Projection is very good and longevity is above average.

Alien is a pretty simplistic composition, but it just plain "works". The jasmine white florals definitely are the star of the scent with the woody oud-like accord and the sweet amber used strictly for support. Ropion being one of the parfumiers on the scent does not surprise me, as the florals have his name written all over them, while underneath the florals that sweet base that Mugler frequently features shows Alien's pedigree. On the whole Alien smells quite good and I definitely recommend it, but this one will most likely smell best on the ladies (not to say men *couldn't* wear it). Alien earns a well-deserved very good to excellent 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5.

Ken Cosgrove's avatar

Encounter by Calvin Klein

I'll rate it neutral because it just smells neutral. The note pyramid originally pulled me in (particularly the Oud), but the amount in it is fairly minuscule, and all the notes come together to form a very linear, clean, nothing-y scent. Longevity of about 3 hours. Nothing really new from CK here, another meh fragrance just in time for Christmas.

Elsie's avatar

Fleurissimo by Creed

Very elegant, dignified floral fragrance. Not overly sweet and powdery as some can be. There wasn't anything about this fragrance that I disliked, but overall it lacks that certain je-ne-sais-quois to be among my favorite fragrances.

A very wearable and pleasant scent, but I have to say that the bottle (or rather, the cap) is something of a disappointment, and not something I would be proud to display on my dressing table!

Marais's avatar

Encounter by Calvin Klein

A ho-hum oriental of the type you've smelled a thousand times before. Smells 10 years old already and it's only just been released. That aside, it smells reasonably inoffensive at first, spicy and fruity, although I think these two components clash somewhat, like two separate fragrances mixed together rather than blended properly. Then the drydown turns into Eau de Brillo Pad, a sort of metallic detergent smell. Minimal sillage. Longevity about 4 hours.

harithhussin's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

for me..longetivity is good..but..i think it is static perfume..did not change much..hate it..

cocaineexpress's avatar

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

Classy, wonderful smelling fragrance in my opinion. The only downside is that it doesn't project very well but you can use more sprays to make up for that since it's an inoffensive EDC.

psychoskip's avatar

CH Men by Carolina Herrera

I thoroughly enjoyed this fragrance. I don't see how one could not like it. A perfect mix of all the good things a man could want, with a slightly sweet overtone. My girlfriend loved it.

Darvant's avatar

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

Finally i received this expected sample and appreciated it. An averagely dry, slightly rosey incense combined with patchouli, cloudy balsams and cedarwood. Soft spices and woodsy resins swirl around imprinting a sort of almost cool widespread  prickliness. The patchouli and the spices darken a bit the juice. The rose is soft but stout, persisting discreetly at distance despite the general delicacy of the juice. The dry down is incensey, slightly earthy, dusty-piquant and piney with a sort of almost dissonant (sweet-neutral, almost acid as Alfarom noticed) undertone produced by the interaction between musk, cedar, mild spices, amber and cumin (?). Some arcane sweet fruits and spices dance in the incensey and slightly "sweaty" air. Subtle and ethereal close to skin fragrance, absolutely complex, dusty and articulated.

ajstudly's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

well have not smelled this one since I was probably in 9th grade when everone wore it and it made me want to puke. However being priced low and wanting to go back in time I picked up a bottle. Well I wanted to hate it but I couldnt I really enjoy its sweetness and Its projection and the length of time it lasts, I dont know of another fragrence that can come close. This one is either a love it or hate it scent. Everyone who i know or comments on it either says it smells good or they hate it there is no in between with this one. One good point about this is that nobody really wears this scent much anymore so it is almost new again.Im not gonna go over the notes cause its been done in other reviews.

ajstudly's avatar

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a true masterpiece one of my favorites. I only sampled and own the EDP version. The bottle is one of the best bottles I have seen and looks great displayed. The scent lasts very long for me. I actually sprayed it on and the next day put on a bracelet that I had on and it overpowered the scent I just put on. The scent is best for nights out and date nights. I have worn for both and have received many compliments from strangers and friends. Its a sweet smell. I would recomend if looking for a fine night scent.

Gucci No. 3 by Gucci

Just acquired a fresh bottle of the of the EDT. Smells indescribably beautiful; sort of a rose chypre with a note of leather. The parfum was too strong; this is just right. Wears well

Clair de Jour by Lanvin

This is a nice warm weather fragrance..fresh and floral without being cloying

Darvant's avatar

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

I catch the citrus-lavender and some aromatic herbs the beginning before the juice slides towards something sharply synthetic, vaguely fruity, floral and mild by woods. An indefinite fruity note on the side of sweet woods and muguet give out the romantic intense effect of this fluidy-musky intimate masculine scent a bit melancholic and solitary. I don't dislike the Romance For Men's smell itself but unfortunately i catch a sort of chemical contrast between cool-green herbs and resins on one side with some warm woody and fruity notes on the other side and this alternance turns out a bit too much headache inducing and chemical.

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Les Echappées - Shams Oud by Memo

three thumbs up, this juice is a blow to the nervousystem, enthralling and sexy,a modern day Jules, totally love it, will soon be bought

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th August, 2012)

mlsweeney's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

What an invigorating scent! It is definitely not for everyone. It's more for men who are less masculine. Perfect fit for me, this is in my top 5!

9.3/10

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2012)

mlsweeney's avatar

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

This is a very good scent but it is not for everyone. I think you need to pull off a bad guy image for this scent to work. Not like a Harley Davidson biker dude, but more like a Colin Farrell type guy. I'll echo people's opinion about it being on the synthetic side, but I don't think the synthetic attributes overwhelm the product at all. And to the people that say they get sick when they smell it, I think you're overreacting!

9.0/10

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th September, 2012)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

I myself am confused about this one, but non the less I like it! I can see that JPG tried to launch something could be en par to Le Male, a new classic that would stand side by side with Le Male and share a status of classic. This is where Kokorico is a complete failure. Now, in the terms of fragrance or smell itself, that is, I find it to be quite seductive, sweetly dry and cold in charachter, somewhat a hint of Zino Davidoff in it. People will mention it here and there but just don't see it as some future, popular mainstream, new age classic it was supposed to be. Le Male is THE fragrance of this house and that's that.

I'll rate it thumbs up only on account that I really liked it on me and it's quite long lasting with great sillage. Otherwise, fragrance itself should be rated neutral and I do expect at least 70% of reviews here to be "neutral" in character.

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12th September, 2012)

str8shooter's avatar

Oud Stars : Alexandria by Xerjoff

This is a projection monster!!! With the scent I am reminded of Amouage Epic Man. 3 hours in and still very strong. It fills the entire room with 2 sprays. It also was a blind buy I'm but very happy I did. As previously stated there is al ot going on with this and it is all at the same time. On initial application it was sensory overload, berry, oud, pepper, floral, cinnamon. It doesn't list pink pepper as part of it but that is what I get during it. Much later on it dulls down to a softer incense/vanilla/oud base. This is an 8+ hour scent and on me it was over 12 hours by the time I got home from work.

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th October, 2012)

Chasse Gardée by Carven

I have a small bottle of this-a little goes a long way. My husband (fluent in French) says Chasse Gardee means "hunting guide" . Unique but very hard to describe

28th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd August, 2014)

missjane's avatar

My Insolence by Guerlain

pleasant, fruity opening. Becoming overpoweringly sweet. Candy. Ouch. Not for me. Having said that, I have smelt much worse, and I did genuinely enjoy the first ten minutes.

Berlynnvintage's avatar

Love's Rain-Scent by Love's

I had 3 different Love's perfumes as a teen; Original, lavender (I think. It was purple and very soft floral) and this one. I wore the other two more, but this one was nice as well. The only thing I didn't like was that on initial spray it smelled the tiniest bit like Windex. The dry down was lovely though and lasted the whole day.

Berlynnvintage's avatar

Love's Soft Jasmin by Love's

I really wish I hadn't gotten rid of this one (gave it to my little sister), but after wearing it so much in my early teens I got sick of it. Soft powdery florals with crazy all day staying power.

zztopp's avatar

Honoré's Trip by Honoré de Prés

Notes:

Tangerine extract, orange, lemon, pepper

I will keep it short and sweet - Honore's Trip is a short and sweet journey through a typical but well made tangy sweet citrus slightly peppery burst. Typical of EDCs its short lived..the tangerine in the top notes is juicy, the orange and lemons tart and sweet, with no hints of fake artificial sweetener notes. All this is supported on a flaky base of a dusting of pepper. The overall effect is of a fleeting juicy tangy slightly peppery citrus fragrance. The extracts used are of a respectable quality, but its sorely lacking in imagination..buy it if you have money to burn.

Rating: 6.5/10.0

muskymoi's avatar

Secrets de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I can't put my finger on it, but this one disturbs me a bit...makes me uncomfortable, in the same way as if I'm being stared at by someone very intently...does that even make sense?

At the same time, I can't say I hate SDR either. I just can't wear it. Smells like a bonfire of roses.

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain

Very sweet and dense. Smells like lemon poundcake. Really good lemon poundcake. Makes me want a nice cup of tea.