Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Miss_Madeleine's avatar

Ancient Attar Pure-Fume Spirit Spray by Aveda

Nothing exotic or evocative for me here. Smells like really good black licorice supported by a bit of amber in the dry down. Sillage is more interesting but longevity not so impressive.

Ju.lawson's avatar

X L'Heure Folle by Cartier

Every now and then a perfume is overpowered by its counterparts, and this perfume, a little later, warrants much better attention than it apparently did in 2009. It is reminding me a bit of l'artisan's tuberose with a much softer drydown. Really well done, if a little dated. Anyone else?

The_Cologneist's avatar

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

This review is based off of the 2009 version.

Frankly, I am not a fan of citrus fragrances, but this one hits the spot. It opens with a sweet yet tart citrus accord, I presume this is the yuzu note. White musk is definitley noticeable in the opening, along with green apple and mint. The mint is pretty subdued, stays in the background, which is a shame, because it's a great mint note! It dries down with some sort of earthy spice, and earthy woodsy notes; bare in mind, very subdued, as the main stars here are yuzu, green apple, white musk, and mint.

Kind of generic really, but executed well. Very balanced, with great longevity and adequate projection.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

One of the most overrated fragrances ever, and certainly the most overrated from the house of Guerlain.

I am sure, a lot of the hype on this one comes from fans of Guerlain, similar to the scenario with Bleu de Chanel and Chanel lovers, with BdC, being just an average fragrance.

Habit Rouge, is bland, boring, and ancient smelling. While many will not put an age on a fragrance, I most certainly will. Habit Rouge smells old! The opening is a bergamot bomb, with the smell of an old bag of make up, you could say powdery too. If you enjoy powder and bergamot, you'll enjoy this.

There are things I would rather smell like, other than being doused in talcum powder and bathed in bergamot oil.

drseid's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

*This is a review of the vintage juice.

Vintage Bijan for Men opens with a gorgeous but all too brief splash of fresh herbal-laced bergamot before transitioning quickly to its key heart notes of very powerful oakmoss (most likely not replicated in the current version due to its recent restrictions), coniferous fir, honey and patchouli, with a significant carnation floral undertone used for support, along with herbal notes like sage and rosemary among many others. Leather and musk in the base both easily make their way to mingle with the heart notes, creating a very complex accord that is an amalgamation of these and many other notes; too many to mention. The overall accord is quite the extremely complex and dense mixture of coniferous and mossy green, herbal and soapy aspects, floral and almost earthy leathery. Projection and longevity are stellar.

Vintage Bijan was a blind buy for me, and it is a great one. It is super-powerful, so a little goes a long way and over-applying is all too easy and not recommended unless you are looking to call attention to yourself in all the wrong ways. This is one where I am glad I have a "splash on" bottle instead of the spray, as it is much easier to regulate the amount you apply that way (and I can't emphasize that a little goes a long way again strongly enough). The accord contains so many notes that it would be all too easy to screw-up the composition, but I find the complex combination of the soapiness with the oakmoss spiked coniferous herbal floral leather bomb works quite well and is extremely "masculine" smelling to my nose. Bijan for Men has major 80's powerhouse written all over it and it is quite amazing. I could definitely see others being put-off by its strength if over-applied (do you notice a trend to my warnings?), but when used in moderation vintage Bijan for Men is highly recommended and I give this classic powerhouse winner an excellent 4 stars out of 5.

rbaker's avatar

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

Yes, it starts with a sweet blast of spice, ripe fig, and incense: soon a vegetal note appears. In the drydown it changes to a distinct vetiver and patchouli with an A*Men cocoa/chocolate gourmand touch that briefly greets me and that is based in vanilla sweetness. Half an hour after the impressive opening the scent is less interesting and makes a synthetic-sugary impression. About two hours of longevity on my skin.

Laguna by Salvador Dali

The first few wears of this one were puzzling. The words that came to mind were: fuzzy, shapeless, nondescript, sweetish. More puddle than lagoon.
    But, slowly, it developed a voice in my perception and that voice calls to me from time to time.
    This perfume is so thoroughly blended that wearing it can be a bit destabilizing: where are the markers? what are the comfort notes? Difficult to say.
    The citrus at the top only became evident after numerous wears. There is fruit here both ‘tropical’ and of the plummy variety, but that’s contrasted by a powdery dryness. There are woods and sweet spice, but juxtaposed against an ozonic, aquatic lightness with a rim of salt. Over time I have come to appreciate its shifts and the multiple-personality creature that resides within its sweet milky fog, though it does seem a bit of a stranger each time I encounter it anew.
    It wears light as a feather, but is persistent and powerful. It’s cheap as muck but will give more expensive scents a run for their money.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This one has mass market written all over it – plenty of common in its denominator. A light and breezy aromatic citric blend that is slightly powdery in the drydown and yet ‘fresh’. Clearly a child of the Noughties. It’s lightfooted and nimble for sure, but it could be any one of numerous zippy men’s scents. Well-crafted, but without depth or gravitas, its bound to appeal to those on the lookout for a surface-hovering pick me up and are content with posh lime soda. Lasts well enough. ‘For the animal in you’ promises the advertising – for the happy shopper, more like.

Infini by Caron

There are perfumes, that even if sniffed blindfolded, one immediately classifies as French. Infini is one and it belongs to a group of fragrances where the addition and compounding of elements results in a cloud experience (quite at odds with the J-C Ellena tendency which aims at transparency and clarity). Some claim these perfumes have had their day; I for one am glad they still exist.
    Infinity has exquisite balance, a multitude of notes are deployed in perfectly judged quantities making it difficult (and ultimately pointless) to separate them; it has a certain reserve and hauteur; it doesn’t deliver immediate rapture like some other creations from this house, like Parfum Sacre, do.
    I for one am glad I have come to Caron late. Their perfumes require an experienced nose; they’re not always aiming for the punchline in the first few seconds like most modern perfumes need to do in order to survive in the mass market.
    So what is Infini? A restrained abstract floral with springlike touches (a touch of green from narcissus, the langour and warmth of jasmine and tuberose) cloaked in a wonderfully silken smokiness, sprinkled with antique powders. It rests on comforting woods, of which a buff and soft sandalwood is the most prominent – and appealing – to my nose. Some have noted a somewhat metallic feel, others remark on aldehydes; all true. Its richness rewards contemplation but doesn’t feel heavy.
    I am less enamoured of it towards the end of its active life (5-6 hours in) when what is left on my skin smells a bit old and unaired. But at this point the volume has dropped considerably and a reapplication will not skew the experience.

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

The initial impression was: Annick Goutal’s attempt to give an eau de cologne a fig twist. Perhaps this is a bit unfair as the lemon at the start is gloriously juicy and a cut above standard issue colognes. Also the lasting power is decent, even if I did have to apply liberally to get it to project. Nothing wrong with the fig leaf note either...
    And yet this fails to lift above the merely pleasant. It may wow those who have never encountered fig leaf in perfumery, but will do little for fig veterans. The fig-lemon pairing has its intended refreshing effect and seems natural and unforced. But as with all citruses, the lemon eventually fades and then one is left with a rather nondescript fig leaf with woodsy backing and some chemicals that continue to chirp ‘Fresh, fresh, fresh’. Good for hot weather.

Mon Parfum Cheri, par Camille by Annick Goutal

Easy to understand why this one made so many ‘best of’ lists in the year of its launch. Perfumes of such depth and so comfortably grown up don’t come by too often these days.
    I’m no patchouli fan and this creation is centred on that note, but what a patchouli this is: rich, aged like a good vintage, musty and vegetal, with curious medicinal hints of dried herbs and tinctures, not sweet. The plum at the top is a fleeting association to my nose, more evident are the powders and waxes, iris and violet, which merge with the sureness of the brushstrokes in a gigantic dark Rothko canvas. Wearing this is like lying back on a vast pool of black mercury that engulfs the body but does not let it sink.
    Hours into the wear it becomes softer, smoother, a touch juicier.
    This is a serious, formal perfume, which I would find impossible to wear casually, its abiding quality is a sense of mystery, of being in on a secret that only this dusky creature can whisper.
    I have only used the EDT which is plenty strong.

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

Opened with great puffs of smoke (and a bit of rubber) on me which dispersed to almost nothing. Just when I was about to dismiss this as another Etat which was less than the sum of its parts, it crept back up. A refined rose (not ka-pow) which starts off peppery, but then shows hints of the initial smokiness and little lifts of green. The rose-pepper thing has been done better elsewhere, but there’s no denying this has been artfully made with feet in quite a few different camps without toppling over. However, I find it provokes no emotional response; it’s all at arm’s length. Surprisingly, it’s after about 6 hours that I enjoy it the most – when the impression it gives is of a huge Montale rose in the adjoining room, its brashness tamed by distance.

heo's avatar

ParadisoInferno for Men by Benetton

It's nice and unique fragrance. I wish it had more longevity. It's overall a green fragrance with a hint of lime. perfect for Autumn. for the low price I would recommend trying.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

The most amazing fact about this fragrance is that it actually got made, marketed, sold and that it continues to sell!

It's so flowery, fruity, spicy and candy-like that my head just about rotates 360 degrees. Undescribable. Strange thing, I kind of like the smell of Joop as a thing in itself, but I wouldn't dream of wearing it. I'd feel like an idiot.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

I don't recognise any of the official notes in Emporio Armani He. That's a first.

To me, it's a very understated oriental with violets, wood and musk. However, at times it behaves very badly and reveals a synthetic side of its personality that has been pointed out by other reviewers as well. In such moments it gives off clouds of the chemical in hairspray as well as an ants-like (sic) smell that I do not care for at all.

Without the the chemicals it would have been superb.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

They took the original Allure, added too much lemon and lots of alcohol and ended up with something dry, acrid and uninteresting. No allure left at all.

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Legend Special Edition 2012 by Montblanc

Well, actually I like this one!
    I think it's much better and much more pleasant than the original!
    Start really fresh with mint and citrus notes and strong spicy note from ginger. it's not synthetic like the original! it's much more natural.
    In the mid and base the mint is almost gone, the citrus is weak in the background and you can smell a fresh, semi sweet melon smell! there is no melon in the notes, but it does have that melon vibe.
    Good projection and longevity.
    Check this one out and forget the original!
    It's not something new or unique but it's very pleasant. specially against the original with that synthetic sweet pineapple note!!!
    A good choice for spring and hot summer days.

angelica's avatar

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

I find the experience of wearing this far better than testing/spritzing and sniffing. It changes a lot on skin and over time, so it doesn't just shout rose from beginning to end. I don't get any cold ashtrays thank goodness. It's bright, fruity and peppery to start, moves through a dark rose-patchouli heart and fades out on soft cocoa and amber. It evolves in about six hours on my skin at which point I can re-apply, which I like, because I love perfume(!) and I love spritzing and smelling it afresh, and I hate fragrances that over-stay their welcome with freaky musks that last for days. Overall RdP strikes me as an easier-wearing sister to FM's Une Rose and SL's Rose de Nuit (both of which I love), and I plan to wear it a lot this autumn.

sjg3839's avatar

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

This one is OK, but you should sample it first. It has a minty smell which last for about 4 to 5 hours. To me, it is one of those novelty scents. Nice fresh out of the shower fragrance. Couldn't see myself wearing this everyday.

Darvant's avatar

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

I agree with drakecito, this stuff is orrible. Gassy, gummy, artificially woody and chemical. Not for me.

Francolino's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

fresh and clean, good for extreme heat!

Marais's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Welcome back to the 70s! Bright, lemony neroli over a smooth, sweet, well-balanced vanilla and patchouli base. It has a similar Disco Stu vibe to Acier Aluminium, but this is more wearable today IMO. Good longevity, you'll be smelling great 'til the glitter ball stops spinnin'. Sadly my disco years are behind me, but this would be great for the right trendy young go-getter.

Maxman's avatar

Kanøn Agarwood by Kanon

True to other Kanon fragrances, Agarwood packs a punch with little expense.
    The top notes come on strong and slightly stinky, but in a good way.
    It sweetens up a bit as it moves along and at one time I would have thought it was bordering on feminine, but again, not in a bad way.
    Top to bottom, it retains the core Agarwood scent.

sjg3839's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This one is a must have. Almost time to get another bottle of this masterpiece. I was in Macy's the other day and a guy and his girl was checking out colognes. She sprayed a tester of Bleu on a strip and it was all over. I already knew what her reaction was going to be before she sprayed it. If you don't have this one.....get it!

Darvant's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

I agree with some Basenoters, Stella is a shadowy, slightly resinous,  barely mossy rose with a powdery, warm and sombre woody-ambery dry down. I detect some almost edible balsams in the blend, some dissonant spices (cumin?) and boise' ambery (ambrette seeds?) rosey facets that remind me traits of scents as Kingdom McQueen. The first blast, while soon preluding to the following darker warmth, is immediately fruity, barely green and floral with a first chord of mandarine, herbs, watery flowers, aldehydes (i suppose) and bergamot.  Very soon that touch of almost angular botanic temperament recedes and leaves gradually the scene to a dark and powdery density made by oil of rose, balsams, animalic notes (honey?) and hints of oakmoss. Really chic (in a retro way) and floral with a sort of almost sinister, solitary and quiet british classic spark of sophistication. Finally the scent becomes a bit lightler, closer, soapy and wearable. Well balanced in the dry down. A great work from Jacques Cavallier.

rbaker's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

One of the few fragrances I get a good myrtle note with, with sage and patchouli giving is a green but creative note. The drydown with wood, moss and vetiver is very smartly blended and develops a bit of a leather note. It smells good and I always get heaps of compliments. This has been a staple of mine over the years, and although chosen much less these days, I always come back to it occasionally. Longevity about two hours. An icon in the history of fragrance that was the first serious opening up of the male EdT market beyond the old barbershop-based scents. Estee Lauder's first big success with men.

Teach13's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Caron Pour Un Homme is the first scent I've put on that I nearly tried to wipe off a minute later. I honestly thought I had applied a cologne that had gone sour. It was so strong, that when my wife came downstairs, she asked if I had lit a candle...I was two rooms away (and only sprayed each wrist once).

About an hour later, as PUH calmed down, I was glad I left it on. It still smelled like a candle to me, but one that a former student of mine gave me for Christmas. My wife and I called it the "manly" candle, as it was strong and vibrant and filled the room. We could only let it burn an hour or two at a time or we would get a headache (which the first hour of PUH did to me).

It is now closing in on ten hours later, and I can still smell it on my wrists as clearly as I could after one hour. I'm giving Caron Pour Un Homme a neutral rating because I can see why it would be a nice scent for others...just not for me.

odysseusm's avatar

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

I'll give it a mild thumbs-up.
    For me, it has two phases. The first one is quite good. It evokes a sunny field, through notes of hay and green herbs. The scent is not at all sweet and in fact I never get any floral notes. Here, it is arguably a masculine-oriented scent.
    The second phase is a translucent, watery style. Perhaps a pond in a sunny meadow -- but not terribly interesting, not much distinctive character here. As the scent loses any herbal or grassy notes, the bottom drops out and there's very little left. An airy, slightly soapy scent -- that's it.
    But on the strength of phase 1, the thumb will keep pointing skyward.

Smelly Dude's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

Opens up with a gingery musky scent, and then dries down to a woody, powdery scent. It's not terribly complex; best describled as "inoffensive". A perfectly fine winter scent for the office.

Sillage and projection (on me, at least) is average, as is longevity.

There are more interesting winter scents out there, but if you get it as a gift or pick it up for cheap, then it's probably not a bad thing to have in the dresser as an everyday scent.

I want to give this half a thumb up - it's slightly better than neutral but not good enough for a thumbs up.