Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Miss_Madeleine's avatar
    Miss_Madeleine

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I so admire other reviewers' ability to decipher all the notes and nuances of this very fun perfume. I had been experimenting with vetiver when I happened upon L'Artisan's Vetiver. I was so excited by this: All the fun notes, the sparkle, the genius of good perfumery. I had sampled Timbuktu but decided to stick to Vetiver for the time being. Eventually I did purchase it. In Paris. The woman sold me the larger bottle instead of the smaller one I asked for (not a mistake, I'm sure) and tried to make amends by showering me with samples of . . . Timbuktu.

Picture this: A lovely hotel room on the corner of the top floor with a small balcony for a very affordable rate (and no I'm not telling you where). You've purchased the last English copy of a book you love and cannot get in the US, sitting in a cafe on a cool but sunny day, and life is sublime. This is the perfume which brings me the most compliments. And I smile to remember my first experience with it.

I am fascinated by the notes because, for me, not one of them asserts itself too prominently. They are balanced and evoke color and cheeriness and sophistication all at the same time. I would liken it to a Chagall. This perfume does not take itself too seriously but it has substance and quality to not be dismissed either.

As for being showered with samples: They're all gone and I am on my third bottle of Timbuktu.

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2012)

Johannes's avatar
    Johannes
    Norway Norway

Allure Homme by Chanel

Stays close to the body while giving off little whispers of soapy-sweet caramel...well, allure. Can't think of any other fragrance that can do this. Allure is unique.

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2012)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake

Why? Is it a trend? Well of course it is a trend. Why would one want to wear this one, albeit I have to admit that the scent is really good, ironically. When compared to the original and its intense version, this one is just not up to the task. Iteration indeed, as mentioned here by member "Andrewthecologneguy", but non the less a pleasing iteration.

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2012)

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

02 Owari by Odin New York

I am trying a sample at the moment which will last me for about 5 full wearings.

The start of the scent is really nice and citrusy but after an hour there is very little left.

Medium thumbs !

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2012)

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I wanted to give this a thumbs up because a buddy on mine let me try a sample he had and it smelled great. The longevity was perfect and it was a winner. When I went to Saks, the juice from the tester was not as good as the sample I remembered trying. The prices are a little too high for these Tom Ford private blend colognes.$100 maybe, $200 crazy!

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2012)

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

This one smells pretty good. Kind of sweet. A little too sweet for me. But, a lot of people will like this one. I sprayed it on a card at Saks and when I got home, I placed the card on the coffee table. Two days later, i could still smell this scent. Projection and Longevity is very good.

29 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st October, 2012)

Allen-at-home's avatar
    Allen-at-home

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Sweet, yes, it starts out sweet: I immediately smell cantaloupe, which COULD be the cucumber and watermelon together. But then, it quickly turns sour; VERY sour. I don't notice any transition, just sweet and then sour. Cheap quality, not to mention the cheap name.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

I can't add much more to the discussion of Lauder. Another winner on the masculine side of the aisle, Lauder for Men is a well-crafted shapeshifter that should be better known and appreciated by the broader community. It starts off as a citrus chypre in the Boucheron / Cerutti 1881 camp and morphs into a potent and aromatic swagger fragrance in the Kouros / Lapidus manner. It even works in warmer climes, if judiciously applied.

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Tried this on my skin today. Its a well blended woody and aromatic scent and I'm actually a little surprised to see it being classified as woody oriental here and there. I guess that should be due to presence of Rum, Cognac, and Cardamom which gives me an aromatic impression but they are probably 'officially' Oriental notes!

It starts with fresh, crispy and boozy accords and settles to a nice scent which leaves an overall impression of something shampoo-i or soapy. It's a little synthetic and even cheap but still a lot better than most of main stream scents that I recently tried.

Good longevity and moderate projection. Overall: 7.5 out of 10.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a very well blended combination of citrus and woody notes. It settles to a woody-aquatic scent which is fresh and somewhat crispy.

This is certainly one of the best scents in its class and even though its almost two decades old still a very well justified purchase: highly recommended for daily wear!

Excellent longevity and projection.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake

This is basically a sharpened version of the original and of course is affected by Acqua di Gio in the process!

Good scent and garners compliments but doesn't fit my style.

Good longevity and projection.

hedonist222's avatar
    hedonist222
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Séville à l'Aube by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mesmerizing complexity.

It starts out very citric and upbeat with the orange-effect, petitgrain. It then develops into a complex beeswax, lavender and orange flower medley. Here is when the complexity shines. The beeswax effect, orange flower and tiny traces of incense go together splendidly. Finally a thick but not overwhelming resin joins adding the final balance and touch of complexity.

Its complexity reminded me of Traversee du Bosphore.

Delicious Scent's avatar
    Delicious Scent

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Mmm, this fragrance is simply amazing. It opens up with a sugary sweet blast of honey and cinnamon(which stay all the way to the drydown) which is very pleasing, gourmand lovers will really like this. As the fragrance matures, you start smelling more amber(I think the amber in this one smells like rum+raisins and it has kind of a gummy feel to it, very pleasant), and you also get some sweetened tobacco, along with some other dessert spices. This one isn't easy to label, as it starts as a gourmand, and ends as an oriental

This isn't an overly complex cologne, but it's the best blended one I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. It is thick and the longevity, projection, sillage are superb, but it has a quality transparency to it where it doesn't become cloying. This is the best comfort cologne in my opinion. It's also very sensual and evokes feelings of sitting in my comfortable blanket, eating an apple pie in the middle of a frigid, Canadian winter.

You might think that it sounds silly to pay $235+ to 'smell like an apple pie', but it really does feel like an otherworldly experience to me, and is worth every penny. 10/10 scent, a masterpiece.

only_me!'s avatar
    only_me!

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

*****

Amongst those collectors for whom the pursuit of now obsolete olfactory treasures remains a constant source of fascination and nay, dare I say, obsession, then the discovery of a boxed, full bottle of YSL’s, ‘Jazz Prestige’, would be similar to a back-street car-boot-fare scenario in which Steve Buscemi’s, ‘Seymour’, discovers a pristine copy of an early, vinyl, John Coltrane album released on the original Prestige record label.

Indeed, just as in Terry Zwigoff’s remarkable, Ghost World (2001), we would see ‘Seymour’ admire the album’s sleeve and 50s artwork: feel the weight of the vinyl as it slides from out of its inner sleeve: watch his thorough inspection of the disc for scratches, faults etc, and ultimately his playing this disc on his old hi-fi equipment to preserve the sound of the day, marvelling at the ‘live’ feel of early Coltrane’s ‘sheets of sound’ captured on an analogue –not digital – recording: Buscemi’s trademark over-crowded teeth breaking in to characteristic easy, yet friendly grin - left foot tapping in time to the beat of Art Taylor’s driving drumming.

Such is the masterpiece of ‘Jazz Prestige’: a bottle of now discontinued hard-bop perfume delight that, like the youthful Coltrane’s tenor solos, goes on-and-on: twisting and turning as the (unknown) nose throws everything in to this creation, yet manages to ‘pull it off’ with an unfolding series of outcomes that constantly engage and inspire the wearer.

So, as if in the film Seymour had also been in to vintage perfumes, I ask you to imagine Buscemi’s unmistakable laconic tone giving enthusiastic, erudite commentary to the quietly quizzical, ‘Enid’, (Thora Birch), having judiciously sprayed ‘Jazz Prestige’ on to each others’ wrists. I shall leave you to imagine the rest….

‘You see…it is at once citrus bright; aromatic green, and kinda deeply floral, with a heavy ylang-ylang head note to me…..but don’t be fooled by the box: this is really a unisex despite the 90s bullshit marketing label. Yeah… here we go…this baby is backed by a depth of pepper and spices: an ‘Oriental’. Here…check this out…yeah! Great! You get the apples, okay…but wait now for the chypre notes…these were really cool in the late-50s/60s with a guy called Chant…but here’s the thing…this is no chypre either…cool…you dig the ‘leather’. Yeah that’s genius…really….but you wait a few hours and tell me how this smells then. The oriental shifts to chypre and then to a true fougere…the tonka bean-plus oakmoss thing…yeah, that’s right, the Paco Rabanne fern vibe. Only this is a 1000 times better! In fact, this is one of the best fougere chords there’s ever been, though most people out there just don’t know it, they just stick to Paco and Drakkar. No go on…take it, friend: it’s for you!’

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

even though smells of new tires!

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Bas de Soie is easily the coldest, stoniest fragrance in the whole line. Serge Lutens aesthetic seems so well co-opted by the world of niche that it's rather understandable that he seems to have undergone a rebellion against his own aesthetic in recent years.

To say this is a fragrance of hyacinth and iris is to say Les Demoiselles d'Avignon is a picture of a some of ladies hanging out. Accurate, but missing the point somewhat. Both notes are distorted here to reveal their most angular side: iris is whittled to a metallic sheen of starch and soap, hyacinth has its spice removed and its more bodily side emphasized ( together, I'm reminded of well-used bath-water ). The drydown has a hint of myrrh, smelling in this context like, of all things, watermelon juice.

While the top notes have a bitter soapy punch of some force, it settles down into a rather softer, more transparent accord. It is mercurial and at times smells inane, almost functional, and at other times almost unpleasantly Avante Garde ( the flesh-meets-steel of Secretions Magnifique is indeed a cousin ), each sniff giving a slightly different impression.

Conceptually brilliant; variably wearable. Is that your fairy-godmother, or a skeletal hand on your shoulder?

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Honour Woman by Amouage

Honor Woman is like a concert that's ruined by one very loud, annoying audience member.

Somewhere in here is a great Amouage magnolia floral, but after the first couple minutes an accord that smells like applesauce from a rusty tin takes over and outlasts and out-shouts every member of the Amouagerade orchestra. After a while I can barely get anything else.

This could have been great. It isn't.

Shanu's avatar
    Shanu

Chrome by Azzaro

I have a 3.4 oz bottle of chrome,on the opening i can only call this scent as a blast of freshness,it might be to loud for some people but to my nose it is very pleasing.
    opens with a lingering fresh blast of some metal notes,i dont really know what metal,citrus not the lemon but the orangish citrus kicks right below the metallic notes,definitely some musk in there although i dont get the sandalwood which some people mention.
    on the whole this fragrance is a strong aquatic and i dont really think there are much strong aquatic on the line,a definite buy from my side or atleast try it,a must have if u are into fragrances.Last about a good 4-8 hours on my skin.
    It is definitely a summer/spring fragrance,i wouldnt wear this in winter because it just doesnt hold up.
    Projection-7/10
    Longevity-7/10
    versatility-9/10
    Overall-8/10

Ender's avatar
    Ender
    Switzerland Switzerland

Gold Man by Amouage

After having read all the reviews on basenotes I never dared to sample this scent because I was sure it would be unwearable for me. Then I was given a sample of the shower gel which was so irresistible that it really took me in. When I finally got a boddle my first wearing turned out to be a revelation. I was suprised how very much wearable this perfume is despite its undisputable opulence and strength. This is defenitely not how I expected an oriental with this reputation would smell. There's almost no sweetness nor cloying amber or heavy spices you would expect from an oriental. It's bright and shiny floral and etherical with bright frankincence shimmering trough and a touch of amber, oakmoss and civet to give it depth and complexity. My first thought was soap. Like these handmilled french soap that you can buy in large irregular shaped blocks in south of France or a bar of soap you would expect to find in a old expensive Hotel in Paris. I has considerable sillage and staying power but, if treated with respect and with light application (1 spray under your shirt, not more) this is inoffensive and easily wearable and suitable for the office. People around you will not think of you as perfumed but rather as well groomed, having shaved with expensive shaving soap and having applied a generous amount of a high quality skin cream.

Lalique White by Lalique

wonderful bottle, extranice scent, zero duration, very modest sillage

Potion by Dsquared2

heavy and dark!

Marais's avatar
    Marais

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

I agree with the previous 2 reviewers, this is one obnoxious pile of chemical crapola. I'd be truly ashamed to step out smelling like this. The night after I tested it, I had a vivid nightmare about sores erupting on my forearms where I'd sprayed it. You might as well make your own fragrance from assorted dribs and drabs of garage chemicals. It can't be any worse. Two thumbs down.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

sickly sweet ultraviolet woman

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

it's a skin scent, no duration and no sillage, lasts about 5 mins

chrisaxp's avatar
    chrisaxp

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I hadn't worn this scent in a while but this summer I put it back into my daily mix. I love the initial intensity and the dry down into labdanum is really enjoyable. I know some people hate the bottle, but I actually like it quite a bit. It feels "cool" to hold. I will purchase this again when it runs out. Longevity - good, projection - good.

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

This starts out with a pleasant bitter orange and nutmeg quality, then hits u with the earthy vetiver note. Unfortunately that "earthiness" continues in a too realistic way. After 20 minutes or so, GREY VETIVER smells like a sweaty horse in a newly plowed field. If a scent can be both slightly sweet and fetid at the same time, this is it. Disappointing.

Berlynnvintage's avatar
    Berlynnvintage

No. 19 by Chanel

these light, powdery florals with a slight hint of leather smells absolutely divine on my skin! Normally I have a strong dislike of Chanel perfumes but this one I really really like. It's not overpowering, it's not overly flowery or feminine. Just classy and subtle like a classic lady.

halomatic's avatar
    halomatic
    Belgium Belgium

Knize Ten by Knize

knize ten - the velvet foundations for contempory modern looks
    use its leather to walk the miles you always wanted to end but were afraid to begin.
    use the sweet complexity to talk the words that make you entertain.
    use its personality to get yourself company.

you don't need to smoke cigarettes in order to get the best out of tobacco.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

Caldey Island Lavender by Caldey Abbey Perfumes

A graceful, musky lavender from the monks of Caldey Island. The lavender is minty bright while the base (a musk called 'Exaltolide', according to Luca Turin) is smooth like soiled velvet. Hugo Collumbien, the creator, has managed to anchor the ephemeral lavender note without drowning it. A divine scent at a bargainous price.