Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

sblades138's avatar

La Petite Robe Noire 2012 by Guerlain

A less interesting, less complex Lolita Lempicka (of which I also am not a fan). It's softer and less headache inducing than Lolita, but it lacks the stuff that would make me reconsider my dislike of it (the interesting smokey chocolate note that makes me keep sniffing my arm in wonder, hoping I'll give it another chance but just can't stomach the strength of it). La Petite Robe Noire has that same sickeningly saccharine powder-cherry that gets on my nerves, and that's about it. There's nothing "noire" about this fragrance, and on my 33 year old self, it screams, "I don't wanna grow up...I want a cherry pixie stick...waaaah!" How is this a Guerlain?? I'll stick with Shalimar and Jicky, thank you.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Not really my thing, smells like a very expensive soap. I can't really see where you would wear this other than to the office. Inoffensive and safe, not worth the price tag in my opinion.

NonScents's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

My wife bought this for me at Caracas Airport, a strange place to find a classic French fragrance. It had long been on my wish list, and I was not disappointed when she brought it home.

Such a superbly crafted, subtly blended fragrance. You know you're going to smell good whenever you put this on.

And yet, after a year or so of fairly regular wear, I became too accustomed to it. Was it really that great, after all? Was it a little too artificially, dare I say it, sickly sweet?

I persevered with it, but I had my doubts.

And then, this Wednesday, I was jogging along by the old canal on my break at work, sweating and looking shabby in my Brighton & Hove Albion football shirt and tracksuit bottoms, getting more and more bedraggled in the warm, late-summer rain, when I saw a Chinese man on the towpath up ahead of me in the distance.

As I got closer, I could see he was dressed smartly in a not-so-expensive suit, but he looked dapper enough. He was just standing there, holding an umbrella in the rain, staring at nothing in particular, contemplating the canal, as if he were waiting for the rain to stop. It was a curious sight to see, among the usual parade of joggers and cyclists and mothers with prams, and as I ran past him I caught his scent, and it was, undeniably, Chanel Pour Monsieur.

It smelled divine, sublime, and whenever I might find myself doubting this scent again, I will remember this Chinese man, with his suit and his umbrella in the rain, and I will know I have made the right choice to wear it again.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Vintage Givenchy III EDT! What a beautiful fragrance this is. This is very similiar to YSL Y! It starts off with a strong burst of citrus & galbanum! No need to dread, this dries down after a while but still remains at the forefront. The heart of the fragrance is pure floral along with the citrus & galbanum still lurking around. I think those two notes keep this perfume balanced from going into HEY I AM A BIG FLORAL BOMB!

We are left with the basenotes of sandalwood, florals & oakmoss (which I do not believe is found in the modern version)along with some vetiver. It is a green fragrance to say the least! This stuff easily last 8+ hours on my skin & projects nicely for the type of fragrance that it is.

I am not the biggest chypre fan out there, but I do believe every perfume collector should have at least 1 or 2 of these in there collection. Altho marketed as a woman's fragrance, this can be unisex without any question or doubt. It should fit any atomosphere except a bar/club as I do not see this as a heavy hitter for those types of meetings.

All in all, Givenchy has done very well here. Some of their best work I think.

shoeshine's avatar

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

Avoid this reformulation... Try the old stuff. Its one of the most orginal perfume compositions of all time. Its fresh green, floral and spicy. I like the somehow spicyness in the dry-down as an answer to the high dosis of galbanum in the opening. Is it nutmeg? Or a combination of vetiver, cinnamon and cedar? A mystery?

empathyboy's avatar

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

This scent does not scream for attention, it sits quietly in the wings waiting to offer up its secrets to those who offer it due reverence.

drseid's avatar

V for Men by Clive Christian

V for Men opens with the pepper hitting on skin near immediately. There appears to be both pink and black pepper... and plenty of both. The pepper is supported by just the faintest hint of oily rubbery oud, and a much more fleshed out cedar and incense backbone. The scent is pretty linear and minimalist. Projection and longevity are poor.

Clive Christian's V for Men is a very pleasant smelling short-lived woody and peppery scent with the oud detectable in the background, but only just so. Quite frankly it smells quite similar to a couple offerings from Amouage... Epic Man and Honour Man, except those both are much higher quality scents with much better projection and longevity and a bit more going on than this one. I like V for Men, but it smells too similar to so many other scents on the market that I question why Clive Christian felt the need to add it to the house lineup (and don't even get me started on the jaw dropping high price tag). The bottom line is V for Men is a competent composition and sniff worthy, but if you like this kind of scent Amouage does it far better for a lot less money (and that is saying something as Amouage ain't inexpensive either). V for Men gets a "good" to "very good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 for its smell, but this derivative release is definitely not full bottle worthy at its relatively high price.

And's avatar

Sandalo Per Teti by Laura Tonatto

I am still not a very good "nose", but Sandalo per Teti deserves my first review. This scent is something wonderful on my skin and it lasts really for many many hours. Very good job Miss Tonatto!

Darvant's avatar

I by Puredistance

Lucky to try this light (but tenacious) ambery juice. An average (but cleverly crafted and balanced) musky floral to me which  finally smells soapy and slightly cosmetics type despite a sort of  almost fresh, orangy, airy, a bit chemical and lymphatic beginning. The juice for a while  is "opened", floral and radiant in a musky way  (but almost rooms refreshing deodorant kind) with an heady mimosa and a sort of "victorian" soapy rose that slides more and more towards the cream ( a delicate ambery one). The latter is never dense but even fresh by a light musk and watered by an aqueous kind of vetiver . This scent could smell like a sort of rapture for the lovers of the genre but objectively is poor in real refinement and structure. Great projection.

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2012)

carlos-uk's avatar

Ted Baker Skinwear by Ted Baker

My friends, this really is a wonderful fragrance.

Out of the bottle, this fragrance is bright, sharp and zesty. It's the combination of the Lemon and Lime top notes working in synch.

In the middle is a warmth and roundness to the scent. There are Oceanic notes here that will bring to mind Aqua Di Giorgio amongst others.

In the base a really warm, almost creamy mix.

The whole together is like the combination of the old-school French perfumery style (Eau Savage, Givenchy Pour Monsieur, Chanel Pour Monsieur) all of which feature a defined Lemon edge alongside the warmth of classic “old guy” scents and given a “current” twist with an Oceanic/Aquatic angle. Really nice stuff.

It settles down nicely but the classic combination of the Lemon on the top and the Woods on the bottom alongside the quirky Oceanic twist work so well and create a sporty feeling fragrance that wouldn't be out of place with a Suit, a Tux or a pair of Jeans/Chinos (delete as applicable).

I catch myself walking round in circles (like a nut-case) just to catch the scent as if it were on somebody else and it really is great in an understated but confident sort of way.

For those of you who can't be bothered with all the rambling above: It smells bloody great!

Buy it, enjoy it and enjoy the compliments.

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2012)

anomie et ivoire's avatar

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

Cool Water Woman ranks as my least favorite fragrance in existence. I've tried to like it, been terrorized by near and dear's daily wearings of it, and have no recourse to criticize those wearings because it's "inoffensive" and "nice." No, but there is so much nicer to be had! Nearly anything has more character. Hygienic sportiness is done better by classic chypres and greens. Rather than these chlorinated coffee shop chain fruit cup concoctions, why not iris, mint, lavender, or simple citrus cologne for a refreshing fragrance theme?

Cool Water Woman's melon or calone dominant note is fuzzy and large like an orange cartoon beast in the corner who is trying to hide behind fables of beach scenes and waterfalls. All I smell here is fermenting fruit salad. The various lotus and water lily notes only add to a strange, stagnant poorly-tended swimming pool tone. With images like that evoked, I'd think this could at least be an interesting fragrance, but it's not; it's just trying to be clean but coming off as rotting.

Fresh and clean aquatic scents appeal to many in hot weather, but please at least go light on the trigger with this one. A little dab will do.

Many perfumes I love are not well-liked these days: they're old-fashioned. Cool Water couldn't be old-fashioned; merely outdated, and that's after less than two decades. The fragrance equivalent to shag-carpeting, though released two decades too late in the null 90s (if only it never had been released). If you really like aquatics, Missoni Acqua does everything Cool Water purports to do but with more style and at close to the same price.

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2012)

classicrock's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

Very nice fragrance! Soft, light, easy to wear, yet still distinctly masculine (in the same way that Boss Bottled is, not that the two smell similar at all). It's a great go-to fragrance because it works as an all-rounder, for any occasion, and there's something to be said for that amount of versatility. I really like this one!

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Kiton Black by Kiton

low on duration and sillage

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2013)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Great for cold weather, smelled very strong but bearable at first but once it started to develop i got a really nice blend of caramel vanilla and chocolate. Great projection and longevity. Just be carefull on the sprayer with this one. Well worth a try, just don't blind buy it. The only problem with this is that I can see myself getting bored with it if overused

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2013)

212 VIP Men by Carolina Herrera

A better version of 1 million in my opinion and much less popular so if you like 1 million but don't want to smell like everyone else then give this a shot! Off the bat I get the gin tonic and black pepper then as it dries down the leather becomes more prominent and some woods from the base are evident. This is a cool scent which slightly warms up as it dries down but maintains an edge. Unlike 1 million I don't find this cloying. Perfect for daytime use but could easily shine on a night out especially in summer.

31st August, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2013)