Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I'm not a fan of vetiver based fragrances but this guy is a winner in my book.
    Start semi fresh with hint of sweetness in the background!
    Believe me or not, the opening smell exactly like carrot juice!!
    I asked from my brother without telling him anything about the smell and he also said this fragrance smell like carrot!
    Very strange but also very interesting! I love carrot juice!!! lol
    In the mid, this carrot type of smell start to fade and now it's time for vetiver to shine!
    The mid has that old classic vetiver based fragrances vibe but it doesn't smell dated! but I think this fragrance made mostly for a mature guy.I mean around 30 and up.
    Average projection but good longevity.
    Very good and quality juice. I like it so much.

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

A good fragrance for spring and summer.
    In my opinion it's not something unique or new, but also it's not a generic fragrance like so many out there. I believe it's right in the middle!
    The opening is fresh and sharp grapefruit scent mixed with leather and violet.
    The sharp and almost bitter smell is because of the basil note which is in the opening and fades away in the drydown.
    When I say leather I don't mean LEATHER!!!!
    Just leather! very smooth and light in the background to give the opening a little more character.
    The violet note also is noticeable but again it's in the background.
    In the mid the grapefruit smell settle down and leather become stronger. this is where you will find out its not something very light and transparent to over spray it like crazy! so watch out!
    In the base the leather note start to decay and interesting thing is, the grapefruit is still there with violet and slight amount of sweetness.
    Just easy with the sprayer in the high heat because of the leather note in the mid.
    Above average projection and longevity on my skin.
    I get around 5-6 hours which is OK by me :)

Pi by Givenchy

A great vanilla based fragrance with so pleasant smell and god damn beautiful and unique bottle.
    Start semi sweet with the main note of this fragrance, vanilla and some spicy or something like burned sugar vibe. maybe that's because of the almond note.
    The sweetness isn't too much, but it's there.
    In the mid the burned sugar vibe is almost gone and we have sweet vanilla surrounded with some woodsy notes but the woodsy notes are so weak in the background.
    This is the place where some guys may hate it because it has almost feminine vibe which I agree but it's not completely feminine.
    There is no floral notes but the simple sweet scent remind you of women fragrances.
    In the base we have creamy vanilla with coconut vibe which is really pleasant and sensual but it also could be linear and boring for some folks out there, but for me it's the best part of this fragrance which is so SEXY!!
    Yeah, I know, there is no coconut note in the note break down but it does have that coconut vibe! at least to my nose :)
    Good projection and great longevity.

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

Well, I blind bought this fragrance based on the notes and also the reviews!
    I said to myself, OK the notes are great, almost all the reviews are positive, the price is low, the bottle is beautiful .... so let's blind buy this!
    Did I regret?! no, but it wasn't something that I've expect!
    It's a sweet, fresh and fruity fragrance with good quality and pleasant smell, but if you have so many great fresh and aquatic fragrances, you don't need to buy this because it's not something new or unique in the fragrance world!
    The opening is fresh and sweet mix of juniper berries and grapefruit followed by pepper!
    The pepper is strong at the opening but fade away in a blink of eye!
    The lavender note is not in the note break down but I smelled that in the opening.
    It's not strong and synthetic like cool water from this house for example, but it's there and settle down and fade away really quick.
    In the mid the sweet juniper berries come in front, the grapefruit is almost gone and some woodsy and spicy notes trying to pick in but they are not successful! and you have this smell to the end.
    The projection is average but longevity is good.
    -----------------
    EDIT:
    Well, actually with more wearing this fragrance, now I can find the base a little different than the mid!
    In the base, the sweet note settle down and you can smell woods easily which is so pleasant and masculine.I like the base much more than the opening and mid.
    The woods are very light and transparent but they smell really good and natural and give this fragrance a little more character!
    NICE!

sphinxlike's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

The epitome of natural freshness. This stuff just smells great, very inoffensive and very clean. I get almost a 'freshly cut grass' accord in the opening mixed with a slightly salty and soapy smell which dries down to a subtle musk.

I agree with what people say about it being a fragrance for those who don't really like fragrance as it's almost like a second skin that lasts 8+ hours on me. This is one that I wear in the warmer weather for work or for when I simply want to chill out and just smell clean, fresh and good. A staple in my collection, and very, very affordable, fantastic juice.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

New West for Him by Aramis

I am revisiting some of the old frags I used to wear. I have NO idea what that note is, but something in it makes my eyes burn... BAD. I can't even tolerate it. Overall smell seems unique enough, but the drydown is awful. Can't wait to wash it off.

bejahu's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

Fresh cut grass and fresh cut violet leaves. It is green and smells like a freshly cut meadow. Although it is not as refined as GIT, I like Green Valley much better, since it smells more natural. Green Valley is an excellent daytime scent for the spring, summer, and early autumn. I recommend it to anyone that is looking for a quality, brighter alternative to GIT.

Comparisons to Fahrenheit are, to my nose at least, not well-founded. Although both fragrances have a strong violet presence, Fahrenheit is dark and tarry, while Green Valley is bright and green.

I recommend this one. If you can find it, please give it a try.

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Pino Silvestre opens with a rugged blend of bergamot, lavender and maybe just a touch of anise before transitioning to its primary heart note of spruce-like pine with the lavender remaining in a supporting role, coupling with cedar emerging from the base. The pine and lavender finally recede leaving the cedar to take center stage in the final base supported by a synthetic smelling mossy musk. Projection and longevity are both below average.

Pino Silvestre is a nice woody pine scent that almost acts as an eau de cologne in its limited strength and longevity. The bottle comes in a 4.2 oz size, and my guess is you will be using a lot more of it than you might think due to needing extra sprays to begin with and multiple reapplications throughout the day. It is somewhat unrefined, quite invigorating and moderately synthetic at times, but it evokes the spirit of the great outdoors and its forests to very good effect. The unrefined cedar and pine tandem is not the kind of scent I would want to wear daily and it even seems to irritate my eyes slightly, but the fragrance is an exceptional value at the $15 or less it is selling for online currently and merits a mild recommendation outright, price aside. Pino Sylvestre earns a "good" 3 stars out of 5 outright for the scent, but much higher in the value department.

odysseusm's avatar

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

I find this to be a pleasant but not outstanding scent.
    It starts strongly in the verbena camp: lemony, basil, a bit of yeasty bread.
    It opens into a dewy spring garden, full of green notes and some florals and a hint of wood. One might say that it is an earthy version of a EdC style of scent.
    I find I have to apply it substantially in order to really get some of the notes. So, after a few applications, I detect a bit of fennel and some patchouli which is alternatively mint-like and earthy.

flipergebet's avatar

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

I loved this perfume sine the very first time I smelled. I would swap my Ungaro II for a bottle of it. if anybody interested just contact me... This perfume is one of the best fragances in the contemporary perfumery and a breakground in the industry.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Mistero by Calé

I got this mostly for the rhubarb note, which I only detect for a second straight upon application. From the list of notes, this sounds like a pretty common fruity fresh modern masculine fragrance (rum and rhubarb, haven't we been there before?). However, it turns out intriguingly smoky and savory, a bit like a really smoky vetiver with the added warmth and sweetness of tonka bean adding an almost barbeque air. None of these notes are present according to the list though. I suppose the smoky-savory effect might be a result of the spices, woods and musk but I can't pick out individual notes except for a hint of mint that's slightly less fleeting than the millisecond appearance of rhubarb.

Possum-Pie's avatar

Louban by Montale

Like other Montale fragrances, this opens with an Oud note. It is much less pronounced than say Dark Aoud or Black Aoud. The Violet leaves are prominent. After the green opening, it dries down to a brooding dusty rose. This is a wonderful smell, I just don't know if it works for men. I wore it all day, and at times loved the spicy rose, at times thought of my grandmother's rose sachet. It is complex and long lasting. You can always count on longevity and projection from Montale.

bejahu's avatar

Vétiver by Creed

An high-quality, very mature, smooth, creamy vetiver. The scent projects an aura of confidence and elegance. Vetiver (1948) is masculine, refined, and extremely well blended. All the notes work perfectly together - there are no rough edges. The longevity is about 4 hours on skin and much longer on clothing. The beauty of this fragrance is its subtleness and restraint. Its limited projection makes it perfect for an important business meeting.

It is light years away from Creed's Original Vetiver, which, although also excellent, is fresh, citrusy, clean, and very soapy. The soapiness of Vetiver (1948) is of the traditional, barbershop variety.

Vetiver (1948) has a very classic vibe: one that I would associate with a suave and exceptionally well-groomed gentleman. If you can find it, buy it. Two thumbs up.

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

just for a change, not so predictable, slightly off balance, it can be easily worn by everyone of any age.
    Not exactly a masterpiece but just an old powerhouse revisited and a bit watered down, found it in an offer, not a first line scent but good anyway

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 09th August, 2012)

tropicalstorm's avatar

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

My friend from Kenya used to wear it a lot when we were studying medicine in Nepal way back in 1994. I didn't give it much thought then. Saw it on eBay and decided to give it a try. So here I am wearing One Man Show 18 years after I first saw it. I have to admit I am floored. It starts as soapy and you feel like.... okay so here's another cheap one.. but give it a couple of minutes and it blooms right in front of you... in a very dark way. It isn't loud at all and that's what I like about it. Very faint and subtle but don't get fooled, it stays for a long time. One word of caution: extra projection with this fragrance can put you (and your company) off so apply in moderation and don't be surprised if people around you say that it's YOU who is smelling nice... not your perfume! OMS goes about to prove that character and chemistry can't just be bought!!

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

fresh but really intense and charming:
    Godd for work, leisure and all!

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

rynegne's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Way too oceanic for me. It literally smells like you swam through an inlet ocean cover that's over-grown with seaweed. All I'm getting is salt, seaweed and cucumber on my skin. I want to like it, it's so different than anything out there. It's just too over-the-top oceanic for me. I'm sure it may smell better to others around but it's giving me a headache as this doesn't seem to have a different scent in the dry down...at least on me.
    ****
    Edit 3/15/13
    ****
    I came around to Wall Street. My initial review was neutral due to over-application using the small bon bons.

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th March, 2013)

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus (vintage) opens with an almost cinnamon smell mildly reminiscent of Halston Z-14 before quickly transitioning to a somewhat dirty animalic leathery scent derived from a combination of clary sage, with more than a dollop of castoreum and just a bit if civet added in for good measure. The dirty animalic leather accord hangs around throughout the heart of the scent with a somewhat bees-waxy and oak mossy undertone protruding into the late heart from the base. Projection and longevity are legendary.

Antaeus (vintage) is quite a different scent than all the other Chanel scents I have tried to date. It is quite the powerhouse scent that needs to be applied sparingly to avoid overpowering everything surrounding it (and you), but when applied lightly it really shines as a great animalic mossy leather driven primarily by its large quantity of castoreum. I don't know how often I would wear this, but Antaeus is certainly a classic scent that is perhaps apart from the great Sycomore just about as good as you are going to find from Chanel. Antaeus (vintage) earns an excellent 4 out of 5 stars.

03rd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27th December, 2013)

Red Theodora's avatar

Boss Orange by Hugo Boss

I just was given a sample of Boss Orange and all I can say is - I would rather eat an orange creamsicle than wear one!

hickorysmoke's avatar

Deauville pour Homme by Michel Germain

Sharp and Nasty. The dry down wasn't quite as offensive, however I am puzzled why these notes that I usually enjoy turned out so yuk in this one...?

EDJA's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Interlude Man by Amouage

Mix of Epic and Memoir. Although great quality of raw materials and benchmark longevity.

rbaker's avatar

French Line by Révillon

The begin is green and fresh, with a bit of basil giving it a bright note. In the drydown oakmoss takes over, assisted by a touch of wood. This is an oakmoss-based fougere in it full beauty. Very good longevity of about five hours, at times over seven hours, with decent projection and sillage. The quality of the components appears very good, without any synthetic hint. A classic oakmoss fragrance.

rbaker's avatar

Centaures Cuir Blanc by Pierre Cardin

A beautiful fresh and clear leather note greets me in the top note. Later a touch of wood and whiffs of fresh mint come in, which eventually develop into a surprisingly clear combination with white musk and a bit of amber together with a mild chewing-gum note towards the end. Decent sillage, good projection for the first three hours and on me with excellent longevity of over five hours. A convincing light leather fragrance that can be worn in warmer climes without being too heavy.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Central Park West by Bond No. 9

I Love this Superfloral Power Frag from Bond no 9.

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!

Keep them coming Bond !

Great Longevity and sillage...!

Double Thumbs up !!!

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I adore this scent. i think it's simplicity has an elegance of it's own. it is highly versatile. it is authoritative and commanding yet calm nd non offensive. I have issues with Projection and Longevity as it is so unbalanced and spotty. i don't find it to be a "Generic Sport Scent" no. Try "Armarni Code Sport" for that one. it is sophisticated and street wise and is a absolute main stay in my collection. Perfect for going out to a fancy restaurant in the summer!!

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sorry friends, just got Loud skin cream. . . in fact i have smelt skin creams that have a better fragrance than this. :/

Drydown is 9/10 but is extremly jarring compared to the top.

Epic Man by Amouage

I Get soot and Ash.

interestingly this is an "Easy to wear" scent. I don't see it!

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

It's a great game to play if you get this and Homme Sport and play "Spot the difference" with your friends

however please be aware the difficulty level is 10+

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

The Vanilla knocked me for 6!
    but in a good way. Jeez i mean if you have ever fantasised about being a vanilla Ice cream? YES? then this is for you!

stunning and gorgeous. Please be easy on the trigger or you will kill people. the tobacco i find gives it an EDGE not a horrible overwhelming vibe.

but damn if you like Vanilla then there are no questions asked. Buy this.

Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma

Bergamotto di Calabria opens with a sparkling bergamot lemon-like orange citrus... and that is pretty much what you get for the duration. Supporting the citrus to a very minor degree is a bit of transparent vetiver, slightly sweet vanilla-like benzoine and non-animallic light musk. The scent is completely linear throughout. Projection is below average and longevity is below average to average.

There is not much I can say about Bergamotto di Calabria... It is a simplistic, pleasant smelling bergamot scent that delivers the goods for what it promises; noting more, nothing less. I happen to love bergamot and enjoy smelling it plenty while drinking Earl Grey tea and also as a dominant ingredient in far superior scents like Coeur de Vetiver Sacre by L'Artisan, but when near isolated like it is here it gets boring rather quickly. The fact that the fragrance is relatively short-lived and extremely linear does not help and I find myself looking to move on to more interesting compositions quickly. If you are looking for a bergamot soliflore, then this could very well be what you seek and worth a sniff but I give Bergamotto di Calabria a middling 2.5 stars out of 5. Agreeable, but mind numbingly mundane and disappointingly very average.