Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

k8pierro's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

I had the EDP and the EDT and used to wear it regularly, although it is no longer "in collection."

I consider this the "entry-level chypre." Unlike some other chypres, you would never think twice about wearing it during the day, or to work, or in hot weather. (To me, that intensely green bergamot is summer in a bottle.) You could wear it with jeans, linen, or wool. No. 19 goes everywhere...except perhaps to bed, where maybe you'd like something a little less "tailored"...

Not too old, not too young, worn equally well by men or women, it seems to hit the right note every time. I highly recommend this if you think you might like the chypre accord, but are not quite sure. Classic.

gmstrack's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu by L Artisan Parfumeur is not what I expected. After reading several reviews and note listings, I ordered a sample hoping for a dry, spicy chypre with incense. The opening is quiet with a hint of spiciness and fruit. Then—bang—strait to stale soap. Did I receive the correct sample? Yes, I’m identifying green vetiver and a strange floral note, but the “warm spicy” part is definitely not detectable. (The opening is far away from the dry down.) Perhaps someone can help me understand this fragrance…

16 hours later, a trace of Timbuktu lingered in my hair. The scent lost the soapy aspect exposing deep smoky woods. I also found that if I apply a very small amount to the skin the smoky-campfire aspect shows through almost immediately. This brings to mind a midnight camp fire in the middle of a hot exotic forest. I have memories of sitting around a fire with friends; drinking, and smelling the trees, flowers and other greenery as the smoke coats my hair and clothes. Timbuktu is this, only strange. Getting better…

One week later: I love this fragrance! I can’t stop smelling it and losing myself inside the presented contradiction. Clean yet musky-smoky; dry and hot, yet never powdery; green, but not “fresh”. Also, I challenge anyone to call this fragrance boring given that some of the notes are exotic, especially the floral note and the smoke.

5/5!!!!

shamu1's avatar

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

This new Eau Sauvage is not awful, but it's very disappointing. For about five minutes in the opening I can smell similarities to Eau Sauvage, but after that, it's an almost pure vetiver scent. And it's a pretty boring vetiver scent.

I'm not one who bitches any time a flanker differs from the original fragrance. Flankers are a chance to expand on an original idea, as well as a chance for cashing in big time on the original's fame. But when a flanker is given the same name as the original scent, with only "Parfum" being the difference in the name, I expect the original scent, only much more concentrated. I don't think it's unreasonable for a customer to expect that. However, that is not what you get with Eau Sauvage Parfum.

I can't imagine buying this. When I smell Eau Sauvage, I expect something bright and cheerful. With this Parfum, I get something bitter and sour. Not what I expect at all from an Eau Sauvage flanker.

MY RATING: 5/10

odysseusm's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Top: Cuban cascarilla oil, pimento berries
    Mid: pine needles, sage
    Base: tonka bean, tobacco, Malay patchouli

The cascarill oil contributes a rich, fragrant, slightly sweet woody-musky note to the opening. There is some peppery spice, and perhaps a cooling freshness from the pine.
    This is a rich scent, round, smooth; yet also cool and open. The dusky sage gives bit of a herbal aspect. Although rich, this is not too sweet. The tonka gives the hay-coumarin note in the dry-down. I don't find much tobacco leaf here -- that's OK, I don't really care for the note.

rbaker's avatar

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The coffee opening is very nice, but it evaporates after about fifteen minutes to give way to a light green wood and smoke impression with and a light admixture of leather that developed into a soapy finish on my skin; it is pleasant but not extraordinary. Limited projection and poor sillage on me, with a longevity of over three hours.

rbaker's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

For the first hour or so I am getting a beautiful coffee top note that gently fades into a chocolate note not dissimilar from the original A*Men. Patchouli and musk on me are less intense though. This is not the sillage-and-projection monster that I get in Pure Havane and, to a lesser degree, Pure Malt, which is a bit disappointing, but on the other hand makes this a scent more wearable in a traditional office as it is less likely to be perceived as overwhelming by one's colleagues. Overall less brilliant than PH and PM, but a nice, more discrete version whose drydown is closer to he original. I still get a very good six hours out of it.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

It opens with a lovely floral jasmine and iris accord then the shoe polish note joins the mix. After a while when the shoe polish note fades you are left with the floral accord which has slightly sweetned with vanille.

I find this scent to be really weird, the florals are very nice indeed but I do not want to smell like shoe polish.

hedonist222's avatar

Le Pamplemousse by Miller Harris

This is the kind of grapefruit that you can eat. The edible, slightly bitter, slightly tart and slightly sweet type of grapefruit.

I thought I'd be put off by the melon but it blends so well with with the citrus, orange Blossom and herbs.

It opens with a distinct grapefruit and citric melody restrained by the herb and melon accord.

If you recall the grapefruit note in Azemour les Orangers, it is less stark and piercing in Le Pamplemousse.

What appeals to me is the obvious grapefruit note that is softened by the orange blossom. Whilst the herbs give it depth, a complexity that is very interesting.

Projection and longevity are superb. Will last and you will smell it without needing to raise your arm or other obscure body part to your nose.

A couple of hours into it and the grapefruit note has further softened yet still firm in its presence. The aromatic herbal facet is protruding.

This ideal for a person seeking to add a grapefruit and/or orange blossom to their collection while being averse to bitter grapefruit and too white floral.

I've worn this a few times now and I really like it.

I also noticed a distinct vetiver note that emerges much later on in the perfume. Mixes very nicely with some earthy notes but not dank notes. More of the smell if you hovered your nose over the earth as opposed to digging deep.

I'll summarize by saying that I am very impressed with it. It's depth and complexity ar very attractive. Keeping in mind that grapefruit tends to be single dimensional in nature but the orange blossom elevates it while the herbs give it a multi-dimensional facet.

Highly recommended

furrypine's avatar

Norway Norway

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It has a dry sandalwood on top, pleasing, realistic sandalwood, but dry, nothing creamy going on here. Soon notes of dry fruits appear; dates, prunes, raisins? They add sweetness and roundness to the scent, but they also take over and dominate completely, where did the sandalwood go?

The fragrance is now highly diffusive to the point of being overbearing, at this point I got a slight headache if I tried to sniff to sniff my arm too closely.

40 minutes in, things have calmed down, the mix of fruits and sandalwood are in balance, I can again smell the dry rasp on the sandalwood, the fruits are hovering but not trying to take over. It stays that way for the rest of the drydown.

Interesting to try, but this is not for me. I like sandalwood to be a little creamier and the push-pull of sandalwood and the sweeter notes was distracting.

mccann690's avatar

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

To me this I just like JPG Le Male which smell wonderful on other people but has a horrible reaction on my skin smell like mould strange when I use 212 sexy men it smell just like JPG Le Male does on other people so for anyone who has a bad reaction to Le Male give this a try

rynegne's avatar

Grev by Slumberhouse

Unfortunately, the cloves are the prominent note in Grev. I wish the clove were toned down a bit for the beautiful fir and birch that's lingering in the background to shine through.

odysseusm's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

Doesn't quite work on my skin.
    The opening is certainly very citrus-y and orange-y. I also get something like a peach note, very briefly. It is crisp and invigorating, though a bit like orange soda (as others have noticed) or an orange creamsicle.
    Then the scent picks up a simple, slightly sour musk note. At times it reminds me of a green cantaloupe. I don't care for it.
    There is also a green-leaf note which appears intermittently (the mate leaf). And then there is the caramel note -- not a big player here, but for me it lurks in the background.
    The whole thing seems like a jumble to me.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Ambra di Venezia by Montgomery Taylor

I think this is a definitive scent - a smell you just won't forget once you smell it.
    The citrus notes ,the fruit and florals are not separate to me - I feel there is not much progression but all the notes become one smell on me. A strong and strident new type chypre - clean and long lasting with a shampoo type fruit in it. It doesn't move me in any way .
    Very long lasting !

Celia.D's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

I don't get the resemblance to No 5. To me this is a far superior fragrance that oozes warmth and creaminess especially in the dry down. It is an understated masterpiece that has an almost mystical ability to transport me to another place. I cannot pick out any particular notes, they all seem so perfectly blended. I cannot rate this perfume highly enough, a truly beautiful fragrance.

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

Very elegant scent - it reminds me of my mother, who always choose these very strong perfumes. I wouldn't wear it myself since it's very lady-like and very "perfumed". By this I mean that it's not very natural and soft.

Wanted by Helena Rubinstein

Fresh and yet classy scent. I think it can be worn by lots of ages - it has a light spicy hint.

L.I.L.Y by Stella McCartney

I don't know what to think about this smell. Lots of people I know loves it, but yet I can't really relate to it. I think it has a spicy scent mixed with some floral, and I don't know what really to think about this combination. It's classy (somehow), unique and has a masculine touch. It needs a strong, independent woman to wear this smell, I think. When this is said, it's very feminine to wear a strong smell, which gives the impression that the woman who wears it is very confident and secure about herself - enough to wear such strong perfume.

Fabio Luisi's avatar

Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Definitely NOT Tobacco, but..... a great perfume!
    Longevity..... 20 minutes....

Birdboy48's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

A lot of folks simply love this stuff ( the juice in the bottle with the design shown above) and if you enjoy aquatics, this in one that many people like the most.

Still available on E-bay at varying prices, so it's not impossible to find. Comes in a super-size 125 ml bottle and comes with a cap made of enough Lucite plastic big enough to satisfy every plastic-lover in your family.

As others have implied, this stuff has some real power to it, so you really want to watch out for over-application.

I'm discovering that perhaps I'm not the aquatic fan that I thought I might be, and as a result I'm giving this a neutral rating. But in light of everyone else's comments, if you happen to be looking for a summer aquatic, this would seem to be one worth trying.

marcusman's avatar

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

If you are looking for a Green Creed scent that's different from the rest in the line, this is it. If you are looking for a heavy anise centered fragrance, this is it. if you are looking for honeysuckle this is not it. But who is realy looking for a honeysuckel fragrance anyway? It's a unique fragrance that's under appreciated IMO.

Creed's website list the notes as follows: Top Notes: Honeysuckle leaves
    Middle Notes: Honeysuckle flowers, herbaceous notes
    Base Notes: Ambergris

To my nose: CO starts off with a blast of green floral slightly minty freshness. I guess this is the leaves of honeysuckle I'm detecting thus the slightly minty accord with the middle notes of the florals actually appearing in the top notes in addition to the middle notes. The top notes quickly dry down after 10-15 minutes. Following this stage the fennel-anise comes in with the floras still in the background. These are the herbaceous notes listed for the middel. Fennel and anise have a similar taste and smell profile. Did Olivier use anise or fennel? I guess we will never know and I guess it does not matter. My guess is that it's actually fennel. To me fennel is more herbaceous then anise. Anise is more licorice candy to my nose and while the middle notes have that licorice vibe, it's more herbal then candy licorice. So I'm guessing fennel over anise. Regardless this is my favorite part of the dry down. Wow! What an awesome middle...if your nose at all enjoys anise-licorice notes you will love this stage of the fragrance. Most anise centered fragrance make me almost queasy. I guess it's the sweetness and cloying nature of that note but somehow in CO balances this with the florals and herbals so it's not nauseating. Just plain pleasant, almost soothing, comforting. The middle notes last about 2 hours and now comes the base...ambergris is listed as the base. (Of course...it's creed...would we expect anything less...). The amount of ambergris in the base is considerably less then the rest of Creed's line. Subtle. It would have to be, because of the use of leaves, flowers, herbs, a heavy handed use of ambergris would overwhelm and mute those top and middle notes. Another reviewer mentioned vanilla note...I pick up that type of note in the base as the scent fades into a pleasant skin scent. It's so subtle. Not really vanilla but maybe a hint of something sweet. I think it's the effect of the fennel-anise middle blending with the ambergris base. What a nice finish to a beautiful fragrance. All in all I get 4 hours of sillage with modest projection. What I typically expect for the Creed house. I'm not sure why this fragrance is not more popular. Maybe it's the anise, it's not a popular note. I think it may also be related to the naming of the fragrance...I mean how many men would consider buying a honeysuckle fragrance? I didn't purchase or try this for a couple of years because I didn't think honeysuckle would go over very well in a male fragrance. Perhaps if Creed re-released under the name Millesime Anise Original it would have more of a following...but alas it's gone the way of many of the other "gray tops"...into the vault...try it while you can...

dollars&scents's avatar

Mandarina Duck Man by Mandarina Duck

Mandarina Duck Man by Mandarina Duck - One is initially slapped with a tangy grapefruit. It is quickly followed by a fresh, lusciously ripe peach, as well as a full-bodied, blood orange. A nascent undercurrent of spice carries this fruity medley to the middle. Here, nutmeg, with its sweetly cinnamon-like facet, cardamon, with its sweet, spicy and woody aromatics, as well as caraway, with its sweetly licorice-like aroma, shower the hodgepodge of fruits. Transitioning to the soft base, while the grapefruit fades, the spicy peach and orange interplay with a clean, dryer sheet-like musk. A whisper of green earthiness from vetiver also presents. A pleasing drydown ensues. This light and summery composition is definitely unisex, in spite of its name. And, it is basically a skin scent with subpar longevity, 4 hours at most. In view of the foregoing, I am being very charitable in giving it a Neutral Rating.

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

A real smoky, deeply tanned leather, slowly unfolds to give way to mellow amber and sweeter basenotes. A beautifully constructed fragrance, only criticism is the longevity on my skin is a little disappointing: I'm lucky to get 4 hours with this one, which is a pity. good job I bought the mega bottle. The decanter is beautiful too.

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

wow. this one wakes you up. like some kind of zesty kick in the face. theneroli is absolutel fantastic, probably the kind of thing other perfume houses will water down and turn into something frankly less ballsy. longevity and sillage are a joy.

surge's avatar

Oud Immortel by Byredo

Holy crap, this stuff blew me away. Smells like Aventus on steroids mixed with Jubilation XXV.
    Get ready to have your socks officially knocked off.
    Longevity is amazing, Silage \ Projection is amazing.
    This is my first Byredo but it will def. not be my last.

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

this one is the kind of scent that you can wear on any occasion, but it exudes class and is something I can see myself wearing together with dark suit, crisp white shirt (not unlike mr Ford himself....I imagine him smelling of this, to be honest). Citrus notes gently yield to the heart of vetiver, which lingers and accompanies me throughout my day, Many compare this to Guerlain's vetiver classics, but the Tom Ford creation is something that takes vetivers firmly into the 21st century: it lacks the sharp tangy edges of Guerlain's classic, but I would venture carries the whole with even more class.

MonkeyBars's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Very much a product of its time, the height of synthetics as the main theme of compositions. Even the lavender feels synthetic to my nose. None of the notes in the pyramid really strike me as present in this juice. Instead, I get a very petroleum-synthetic apple impression. Very reminiscent of industrial cleaning products in an unpleasant and crude way.

galwaygirl001's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Terre de L'Encens by Cloon Keen Atelier

Two words for you - Iris Frankincense!

The iris note here is definitely NOT the 'grated carrot' type note in iris silver mist. It is rooty iris, but not earthy, if you know what I mean! To me the rooty iris note seems 'polished' & 'refined'.

Its like someone took the peppery frankincense of armani prive bois d'encens and made it much more transparent and less austere and added a refined rooty iris note.

It opens with citrusy aldehydes, the main event is peppery citrusy frankincense and rooty iris and finishes with a woody drydown.

I think it is completely unisex. My husband sniffed it and said "its beautiful. It is definitely incense, but wearable".

To me it is an elegant resinous transparent woody iris frankincense. I have never smelled anything like it.

Bonus Points: Cloon Keen Atelier is an Irish Niche Perfumery. Federic Malle has competition!

06 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2013)

flathorn's avatar

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

Reactions to this one are all over the board I see! Some don't even describe what I tried on.
    All in all, it is a sweetened sensual leather, kind of musky. It has a lightly skanky opening which I like. It doesn't hammer you over the head with it, but allows it to waft in and out coupled with a sweet note. I wasn't won over by the quality of the sweet note, though. It had a borderline shrill fake fruitiness, but it is mercifully light and inconsistent, wafting in and out of the insincerity that fake fruit notes evoke for me.
    I don't have a basic issue with those type of notes, and they support the light superficiality of beach fragrances, but tmn, don't support the intent of a fragrance like this. If it was designed as a counterpoint, seducing you with the leather, but not quite allowing you to go there, then it works. But did they really need to put a high schooler at the door?
    I was hoping the fragrance would evolve into some serious smolder. It didn't, but as the leathery base became stronger, the promise of a light skanky sensuality did. Which is fine - you go where the fragrance takes you. I appreciate leathers for their sensual nature, and this one is no different. But to the end, the sweet note was a little thin, and kept this fragrance a little too superficial for me. Yes, it has a certain animalic air, but confused me slightly with it's intent.
    I see it for clubbing. I think it would go well with all the fragrances and noise happening on a night about town. But since I don't do that much, it has limited use for me. But I still like it okay. I'd give it 7 out of 10.

06 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2013)

Erok32's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Perfect frag fragrance for fall. when I smell this I think of cool/cold damp foggy weather with leaves on the ground, or a thanksgiving day walking through the woods. Very nice and unique.

07 August, 2012

rogalal's avatar

Sag Harbor by Bond No. 9

A confusing mix of feminine and masculine...

Despite the crazy notes list (oud? really?), Sag Harbor is basically one of those sweet fruity florals that smells like a "strawberry fields" scented fabric softener. It's got that cheap strawberry shampoo note that Bond seems to but putting in everything lately, along with some juicy apple over a big slug of fabric softener smell. As is the usual for this style of perfumes, it's got a round, vaguely aquatic rose supporting the candy fruits, and also takes things to a slightly elevated level by including a nice powdery aldehydic quality that classes things up just a little bit.

With time, a dark green smell slowly wells up underneath all this, which turns out to be that 90's "seaweed" aquatic note that used to be so popular, but much darker than usual. When this phase passed, I was left with dull sweet leftover strawberry rose.

So, here's what confused me so much. With anything more than a couple of sprays, the powdery laundry smell dulled my nose and the masculine dark green aquatic heart felt really strong and manly (while the people around me smelled the feminine powdery fabric softener smell that I couldn't detect any more). With only a little spray, the perfume made more sense and the aquatics were kept in check, but it was dull and faded too quickly.

Honestly, this took many days of wearing, and spraying on cards and spritzing on as I went to bed to figure out (seriously, the super-mainstream feminine topnotes and the super-dark-but-still-mainstream masculine middle made NO sense together), until I finally decided that I don't like Sag Harbor enough to care any more. Meh. It's like a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde that seems avant garde at first but then just morphs between Katy Perry and Justin Beiber, so it's not actually saying anything we haven't heard a million times before.

07 August, 2012