Fragrance Reviews from August 2012

Oviatt's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

This is a beautiful, dry sandalwood supported by rosewood and ambergris, which gives it a satisfying saltiness. There is cypress as well, which reminds me a lot of l'Occitane's much-missed Eau des Bergeres/Cade, that driest of all cypresses. Tam Dao is fairly linear, but is so great smelling that it is enough to have it as it is--no further development is necessary. Some think of this as a wet sandalwood, but to me it is as dry as a bone. It reminds me of the intricately carved sandalwood fans you can buy in Asiathat scent the air as you fan yourself. That said, this is a unisex that works very well on a man--it harkens to old masculine classics like Arden, Caswell Massey, etc., but with a chic, hip, French/Indo-Chinese vibe.

floraking's avatar

Cardamome by Lanvin

I came across this fragrance when I was in PNG in 1982 I tried in vain to find it, but to no avail. I later discovered it had been dscontinued. It would certainly have been my signature fragrance. People could smell it before you entered the room and it lingered long after you left. It certainly was a fragrance that left an impression on the senses.

silentrich's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Tried liking this so many times, but it's sweetness is such a negative point that it overwhelms any of the good aspects. Very dense and rich. Smells a lot like an apple pie which is the big selling point. Problem is that I don't want to smelll like an apple pie. Very feminine and I would actually love this on a woman. Hermes needs to come out with a bacon fragrance for men which would be the perfect companion to Ambre Narguile.

Francolino's avatar

Corteccia by L'Erbolario

one dimensional, good and unexpensive

rogalal's avatar

Lavender Palm by Tom Ford

On me, Lavender Palm kicked off with lavender (duh) mixed with grape lollipop over a surprisingly funky backbone of sweaty cumin and that bleu cheese gardenia note made famous by Chanel. It actually strikes me as a sweatier, more masculine take on Chanel's Jersey yet is very Tom Ford, in that way that he can combine ridiculously uncomplimentary notes and somehow make them work.

Sadly, it goes downhill from there. That aquatic "seaweed" smell comes in and the lavender goes all metallic and artificial. At this point, it's really only the leftover cumin that's keeping Lavender Palm from smelling like hundreds of commonplace metallic aquatics. The base is a dark mix of piney tar smell and quinoline (that dark leather smell used most notably in Tuscan Leather), but the aquatic chemical smell sticks around, keeping the lavender very metallic and fake-smelling.

This is a tough call. Lavender Palm was clearly designed to appeal to fans of commonplace metallic aquatic "woody amber" scents like Chrome and L'Homme, but it manages to never quite stoop to their level. That being said, unless you're actively sniffing yourself and taking note of the clever undertones, you might as well be wearing any of hundreds of other less expensive metallic lavender scents. Tom manages to clear the bar, but it's set so unimaginatively low here that it's really not much of a win. Personally, if you want a smart, creative take on this sort of commonplace smell, I'd recommend Ulrich Lang's Anvers or Serge Lutens' fruit leather Un Bois Sepia as scents that take aquatic lavender to interesting new places over Lavender Palm.

rogalal's avatar

Forest Walk by Sonoma Scent Studio

I mostly smell hamster cage cedar chips, but quite sweet. There's a subtle quality that reminds me of cherry cough drops, and maybe a drop of vanilla that's acting as a sweetener. There's a vaguely floral quality, and a sweet roundness that suggests resins, but the cedar is very much the star.

I personally prefer my woody scents very dark and smoky (like CDG's incense series or Sonoma Scent Studios' own Fireside Intense), and Forest Walk is the opposite of that. In a way, that's brilliant. They may have made a slightly-feminized woody scent for ladies who usually don't like the genre. It also reminds me just enough of Tauer's work that his fans may really enjoy this.

In the end, though, I just don't care for the hamster cage cedar. It's a very specific kind of cedar note that just doesn't work for me, but I can't give Forest Walk a thumbs down because I know it will work for other people who don't share my hangup.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Sel Marin by Heeley

It opens with a lemony citrus saltwater blast which is later followed by vetiver and other notes.

This is one of the best aquatics on the market. Close your eyes and imagine the beach with blue skies and the warm mediterranean ocean and then smell this fragrance. You will get that WOW factor as it captures the beach/sea vibe so perfectly. A masterpiece and if you are going on vacation or you are looking for a scent for the heat then this is the best you can get. Brilliant aquatic composition.

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Wild Bluebell by Jo Malone

The opening top notes of this have that melon overtone so popular with perfumes currently introduced. However when this has been on me for awhile and the middle notes and bottom notes start to appear this is really a beautiful scent. It wears particularly well in the summer. It lasts a long time on me which is unusual for any perfume. Although I only have a sample at the present time this is being added to my buy list.

alfarom's avatar

Mito Eau De Parfum by Vero Profumo

In a world where niche firms introduce ten fragrances at once to impose their presence on the market, Vero Kern took the opposite direction. Three compositions in the last seven years (a total of six fragrances if we include the extrait versions launched in 2010) and now, after two years, here's Mito.

When approaching Vero Profumo's fragrances for the first time, the main aspect that immediately results unquestionable is that certain people (no matter what they do) possesses the "special touch", just like if they were touched by the hands of god. Well, Vero Kern is surely among these people. She has the ability to create classics avoiding to fall into the copycat territory but, the most interesting aspect is that she always enriches any of her fragrances with a a strong assertive character and, if you want, with a quirky twist. This is the hardest task of them all. Build an extremely solid line-up that continuely winks at classic perfumery but astutely skipping all the dogmas and stereotypes. There is a classicism inherent to every fragrance this woman delivered so far yet they're somewhat modern. Modern yes but, somewhat, as opposed to trendy, to pop.

Mito makes no exception. A blast of greenness introduced by galbanum, fizzy/juicy lemon and a strong leafy element that immediately reminds of lemongrass, green lime leaves, lemon peel and unripe fruits. The opening is by all means striking. Sous Le Vent is the first fragrance that comes to mind but, don't get me wrong, the two don't share many similarities, they simply move in the same green territory that will make the happiness of all those perfumistos that can't never get enough of the typical "oomph" of the most outstanding green compositions in history. An earthy note shows its presence right away joined by brilliant floral patterns (Hyacinth, White Magnolia Champaca, Jasmine). Said florals never become too prominent, they simply remark their presence with extremely elegant and sophisticated details. Everything is incredibly well blended and balanced to result astonishingly beatiful. A touch of sweetness serves to slightly smooth the overall srark vibe but , fortunately, it never deflects the fragrance from its assertive personality. An outdoorsy fragrance that smells of ancient gardens, countless green facets, mosses, secular cypresses, history. This is the smells of culture as opposed to the smell of supericial fashion. A timeless classic, a mandatory purchase.

As someone else said before me "These things don't happen by accident, but only as the work of a genius". No doubts, Mito and Vero Kern are the proof that modern perfumery is not dead.

drseid's avatar

Number 1 for Men by Clive Christian

No. 1 for Men on skin all but immediately goes straight to the floral heart notes of powdery heliotrope and iris, a subtle jasmine and rose, and an almost banana and honeyed frankincense-like ylang-ylang floral as the primary heart note. Base notes of tonka bean, sandalwood, amber and vanilla sweeten the now receding powdery florals further in the dry-down almost to the point of the scent becoming too sweet, but stopping just short. Projection is below average and longevity is below average to average.

No. 1 for Men is a very nice pleasant smelling unisex floral composition that while not really my kind of thing is well put together. The ylang-ylang really dominates the other florals here, with the heliotrope and iris adding powdery support and the rose staying well in the background but still detectable albeit quite subtle. Subtlety in general can sum up No. 1 for Men, as it really is rather conservative for a floral and is relatively easy to wear for just about anyone. I particularly like the honey-like nature in the heart that pervades the florals to give No. 1 for Men a nice sweet overall character. What I *don't* like is the ridiculous price it sells for. At $100 for 50ml I would continue singing No. 1 for Men's praise, but at $865 you have got to be kidding me! I won't unfairly mark down the composition due to the pretentious and insultingly snobbish marketing on the bottle as "The World's Most Expensive Perfume" nor its entirely unreasonable wallet busting price-point but even though the scent earns a very good 3.5 stars out of 5 rating for its smell, the value for the money and marketing from Clive Christian does not even merit one star. I recommend getting a free sample of this just to say you have tried it, but in no way would I ever buy or recommend this at anywhere near its retail price. Shame on you Clive Christian!

Francolino's avatar

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

simply great, rich, powerful, traditional fouger 80's style!

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rose Jardin Délice by L'Occitane

I like it ! So does my daughter, and my friends. It it is light, rosey and a little bit sweet. Not a "statement" fragrance, and for those who require mystery and sexiness it is not the thing. It is a feel-good scent, very feminine, with a reasonable staying power (helps to spread some on the clothes). Unobtrusive and very nice after the shower, before going to work. I bought a bottle, but left it aside because I was too enchanted with Roses des 4 Reines to wear anything else. But now and then I went back to it and yesterday I finished it up. And decided that I really want another one. Nice price, too!

David Ruskin's avatar

Séville à l'Aube by L'Artisan Parfumeur

So, after all the hype, is it any good? Well actually yes, it is. Nothing like I imagined from reading about its creation, but then reading about fragrance is like listening to colours; don't work. It is more Incense and less Orange Flower than I had hoped, and the Orange Flower that is there is not indolic enough for my tastes. It opens with a strong blast of Olibanum accompanied with, probably Petitgrain (cheaper than Orange Flower Abs.). There is the Beeswax, and a hint of Curry before a rather fruity Orange Oil kicks in. I did not smell the Lavender, although I gather it is somewhat atypical. Slowly the Orange Flower becomes stronger and for quite a while there is a very pleasant mix of it with Olibanum and a slight smokey leather accord. I wish this would have lasted until the end, but the final Basenote is a little disappointing, somewhat too sweet for my tastes; too balsamic. I would have preferred the bitter Fleur d'Oranger to have continued. However, all in all, not bad at all. The silage, to my nose is not that great, but on my skin it lasts for several hours.

It has been marketed as a "special edition" but the lovely lady who served me in Convent Garden thinks that, as it is selling so well, this will not remain the case.

It is not a work of genius (despite the book) but a good effort I think; and enough to give it a "thumbs up".

verycharlie's avatar

Cadjméré 18 by Parfumerie Generale

First sample wearing from this house, don't know what to think. Gourmands not my thing but applied with an open mind. I got a circular swirl of creamy, coconutty sweet stuff with a dissonant, bitter-bright tangerine note poking a distinct hole through the middle. Found myself excessively wrist sniffing to catch the tangerine as it faded into sweet, vanillic mush. Got bored of the mush & reapplied twice in as many hours to rejoice in the weirdly satisfyingly resinous tangerine vs vanilla cream contrast. 3 hours in and left with the sweet, slightly cloying vanillic mush and the unshakable sense that I know this smell.......and then it came. My skank blonde party-girl sister's bedroom in the late nineties, totally littered with knickers and clubbing garments all clung to by the endless, sweet decaying dry down of DUNE!

alfarom's avatar

H&M by Comme des Garçons

This is probably not the most striking release by Comme Des Garcons but it's still a pretty honest composition. Nice, no more no less. Sits somewhere between Gucci Rush and Let Me Play The Lion but it is much less sharper than the former and more avant-garde/edgy than the latter. Not revolutionary as other fragrances in the house' huge range yet unquestionably a CDG. If you want, this is the quintessential CDG. Synthetic cedarwood galore and frankincense, maybe copal or epoxy paint (I guess is what someone calls it metallic)...All this is exactly to CDG what the "guerlinade" is to Guerlain. In this context H&M is part of the base of MANY Commes. From Avignon to Artek via Sequoia and even Wonderwood. A dry as a bone fragrance.

One thing is for sure, when it comes to synthetic cedarwood, there's nothing like Comme Des Garcons.

SteelerOpera's avatar

La Vie Est Belle by Lancôme

Another very nice fragrance from Lancome. They have really turned things around in the last few years with releases like this, Tresor in Love and the wonderful Midnight Rose.
    This one is a very seductive fruity gourmand, luckily it is not like the typical fruity florals that are dominating women's frags these days. At first I got a lovely peach note from this, but it may be the pear combined with the orange blossom, either way it is a lovely concoction. Longevity does not seem to be as great as with Midnight Rose, but I will have to test further. A little on the expensive side, but recommended.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Escada Homme by Escada

I love this, and it seems prices are on the rise on eBay. To my nose this opens kinda lemony citrus then a metallic quality appears. This makes the jus cold, but as it warms it brightens and creates a glow around the wearer that projects about 6 inches, which is just far enough for me. It can easily be a signature scent, since it does not smell like anything being released these days. If you like it, but want a brighter more green summery version, try Versace's Green Jeans, launched 3 years later.

nonnative's avatar

Billet Doux by Fragonard

I would say some hints of incence, sandal and lily give this parfume a unique character. White floral scent perfect in winter worn with a white wool jumper. Or in spring worn with a silk white blouse. The scent varies a lot with time. The rose of the first sniff disappear immediately revealing the beautiful oriental notes of the base. Nice creation.

Marais's avatar

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens' trademark stewed fruits accord, wrapped in pastry, with a bit of Christmas spice thrown in and a nice but somewhat incongruous sandalwood note. The sandalwood does tend to get lost in the cake mix, as Furrypine has noted. It reminds me a little of Egoiste, but it's not as interesting. I find it quite linear and simplistic, in fact verging on silly; but then my expectations were raised the promotional blurb about 'sandalwood written in capital letters' as well as the more hyperbolic previews to be found in the perfume blogosphere. I would never wear it, it's too much of a dessert scent for my taste. Excellent longevity.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

cK be by Calvin Klein

I really enjoy this. Very muted and it is truly unisex. It does not smell like 'cologne'. It has a very casual vibe to it. Works well in hot muggy weather too, which is a plus. There is a diet Pepsi thing going with it though, you know when you drink regular Pepsi, then the diet version you can immediately tell there is a lack of...crispness maybe? Whatever it is, it works well here, just don't wear this with a suit, unless you are going to a museum or something.

bFlay's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Burberry...just Burberry! An excellent, classic "thinking man's" fragrance. Apple, orange, lavendar, and a mild tea note all pervade. I tend to dislike "fruity" fragrances, but this one is unmistakably masculine. It may be linear and fleeting. It has only a fair longevity and sometimes projects more of a vanilla note at the end, but it is a great stand-by that should be respected.

MapOfTheWoods's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

I see a lot of differences on longevity. This has seriously got to be one of the real powerhouses in my collection. It must be my skin, but Set Sail St. Barts lasts ALL day after a good 5 sprays. While I DO have to spray on a bit more to get any real projection out of this (and the occasional reapplication after maybe 6 hours). After a while, this one just sort of "becomes me". I have been able to wake up in the morning and still catch a nice glimpse of having worn this the previous day. Quite nice.
    As for notes: I get instant citrus, mostly lime. It collides into what seems to be coconut, although there is allegedly none in the juice itself. It's like a cool breeze on a tropical beach, yeah, but it seems to me like it has a bit more going on. I detect a floral something-or-other in there that I can't pick out. Seems like geranium mated with a squeezed lime, crashed into a coconut infused with a salty ocean water/tequilla body wash. I like it a lot, way more than when I first picked it up a year ago, hence this being my first review.
    I have quite a few niche and designer frags that I love, and this one REALLY holds up. I prefer this over the Virgin Island Water, hands down. As a lot of us are saying: This is one you can't beat for the price.

07 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2012)

Bluelrry's avatar

Activist by Body Shop

at the body shop, the sales lady passing by told me to try Of A Man instead as it is their most popular. Out of sheer spite, I purchased the activist bottle based on liking it's dr. pepper/ root beer opening.

After sitting in my room for a few days, I decided to spritz it on and found it nauseating and overly sweet and was thinking that I made a mistake about buying it on impulse like that and maybe should've gone with the Of A Man. Thank god I didn't as maybe I ate something or use something that messed with the fragrance as trying it again, I am in love with how warm it is. Very wood and spicy yet not in a harsh way.

Bluelrry's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I consider this the men's Chanel No. 5, yes it's old and many people describe and associate it to grandpas but both fragrances have stood the test of time and is still selling and getting compliments. It's comforting and although before I was hesitant and maybe even embarrassed to try it but now I am able to appreciate it. Good stuff and great price!

Jody's avatar

Flor y Canto by Arquiste

I got a sample of this from my local perfumer here in Minneapolis. WOW....I am just now getting into florals and this one is a show stopper. It is oh so elegant and very refined. I am a total newbie as far as the language so all I can say is I smell the tuberose and I am guessing everything else combined perfectly! To sum this up in one word: Lovely.

Oviatt's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

So much has been written about this fragance that there is little more that I can add. What I can say, however, is that this is great stuff, it smells wonderful;bite the bullet, buy the real thing and use it--don't hang on to it. This is something that I will never be without--have bought multiple bottles which is unheard of for me. In my review of Baie de Genievre (my favorite Creed) I said something that I stand by--the 1980s were the best years for Creed releases. GIT, BdG and BdP. You could really just stop there and be done. All the detractors of the Creed brand have plenty of other houses to buy from--trust me, Creed is not waiting by the phone for the likes of you.... This makes me feel good when I wear it and other people love it. As to who does or does not wear this, well, I never met Cary Grant, but I have met a certain HRH and yes, he does wear Green Irish Tweed. Buy it, love it, wear it.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Trying this first in winter was a mistake – all Chergui revealed then was a slick of sweet, with some tobacco for definition. Nothing out of the ordinary.
    In warmer weather, it responded differently – with first a light glorious sweet hay-like accord, roomy and fresh, followed by an earthing tobacco, the sweetness just right and not cloying, with no hint of the staleness that can plague some tobacco notes. A balmy, vegetal sweetness, which can probably be attributed to iris, clinched this. Supremely comforting, perhaps a bit unadventurous, but also without the distractions of jarring, unbalancing notes. Doesn’t have quite the trail of other SLs, which is a shame – it deserves to.

Divine by Divine

This is the way to do a white floral: with elegance, evolution, balance, not the hammer to the head that is more commonly encountered.
    After a quick burst of peachy fruit, the coriander (that trusty bridge between fruity and floral notes) ushers in a soft tuberose overlaid on a gorgeous musk. All the elements of this perfume stay in balance over time whether they are in the ascent or receding. Slowly the tuberose gains in presence backed by rosy floral notes of Amouage Gold quality. It’s soapy, it’s a bit greasy (animalic seems a bit too strong a term for something this refined), it’s old school to the roots of its dyed black Hedy Lamarr hair, it’s not wildly original, but it’s pretty near perfect.

Heat by Beyonce

Candy floss (with a little burnt sugar) opening, merging into syrupy fuity-floralness, a small coconut interlude, finishing sweeeeeet. A concoction for the child woman. However, the times they are infantilizing – the ubiquity of this stuff is scary. Could also be the low price point, of course.