Fragrance Reviews from September 2012

Butthead53's avatar

Force Majeure by Jacques Bogart

Very nice smelling and hard to believe this one isn't more popular.

A most for every cologne wearing guy (or girl)!

rogalal's avatar

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

Sweet oranges and tangerines, juicy and tart but just a little bit too sweet to smell completely real. It ends up with a very juicy "orange" neroli, and the fade from actual citrus to the neroli is so slow and perfectly orchestrated that Little Italy really does give the illusion of a citrus scent that lasts many many hours longer than it should.

Unfortunately, there's a plasticky note mixed in with the citrus that lasts all the way through. I'm sure it's supposed to be lilac or something, but well.... Have you ever bought a cheap plastic pitcher? You have to wash it a few times to get rid of that plastic flavor before you use it, or else whatever drink you put in it will smell plasticky. That's what Little Italy reminds me of, a well executed citrus scent left in a cheap unwashed plastic pitcher until it took on an unfortunate plastic flavor.

Thumbs up for the well-done long-lasting citrus, but thumbs down for the plastic, so I'm going with a neutral rating.

rogalal's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

Almost impossibly juicy oranges supported by a bunch of weird chemicals. There's a thick slab of those aldehydes that smell like frothy egg whites (the same kind as Womanity), as well as a bunch of salt and an overdose of hedione, so it surrounds the wearer with an invisible haze of uplifting chemical juiciness. It's more "perfumey" and bright than aquatic, but if I were forced to classify it, I think I'd have to call it an aquatic, simply for lack of a better description.

When I first tried Happy, I loved the topnotes and hated the synthetic drydown, but now, years later, I've come to appreciate the quirky drydown as well. It lasts pretty much forever and I honestly don't think it smells anywhere near as cheap as other people do. As an example, I'd take this in a heartbeat over L'Artisan's similar but much more expensive Mandarine.

Nightflight by Joop!

Not that good. In my attempts to find a great designer pineapple fragrance, I stumbled upon Nighflight. It opens up with a lemon, bergamot, and pineapple. In a sense, it reminds me of a pineapple lifesavers candy, which would have been okay, if this fish like note wasn't accompanied with it. This same repulsive note that I have encountered in many designer fragrances over the years. For me to pretend it's not there is just impossible, as I am extremely critical with smell.

However, once it eventually dies down, I am left a decent amber, sandalwood and light fruity dry down. Not the worst pineapple note, but not the greatest either, similar to that in Avatar, which is an excellent cheapy, that is ruined by this fishy fruity note. These 2 fragrances actually smell quite similar to one another, I do prefer Avatar for sure. In terms of pineapple fragrances, thus far, Jaguar Vision's pineapple note is the best I have smelled, but it doesn't last very long. It's very much like the pineapple note from the good batched of Aventus.

Nightflight lasts a good 8 hours on my skin, with strong projection in the first 2 hours, and mild projection throughout the life of the fragrance. Actually.. very good in the projection department, and never cloying or overpowering. The smell itself just doesn't work for me.

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

An underrated gem is Lacoste Elegance. It opens up with a blast of white pepper (definitley not black pepper), and a confusing background, but just give it a second. Ahh, here comes the mint, it's raining mint leaves. Mint, mint, mint! Eventually it turns into a combination of raspberry, chocolate mocha, and a great mint note that is less intense than the opening. With some citrus in the background, and a little spice. The combination of the raspberry and citrus, makes me think of watermelon flavored Bubble Yum. The base brings in some sandalwood and amber. It slouches in the projection department from beginning to end, but lasts a good 8-10 hours.

I would say it's sort of a mix of a very light Fuel for Life, with a very light A*Men, minus the tar and patchouli of course. The reason I say A*Men, is because of A*Men's distinctive chocolate fudge note that I haven't found in any other fragrances. I feel Elegance has it, but much much lighter, with a mocha kick to it.

I really enjoy Elegance, and would love to know the perfumer behind this fragrance. If anyone knows, please message me!

Hoppity's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

I wore the cheap stuff in the eighties, simply because it was cheap and quite fun. However, I've just had the privilege of buying the Couture and I am shocked! Is this the way it's supposed to smell? The opening is reminiscent of the cheap stuff that I know and like, but then it becomes way more complex and beautiful. I am absolutely hooked. My signature scent has always been Rive Gauche, but I think I've just found another one.
    Indescribable.

Marais's avatar

Mystra by Aesop

An odd one. Dense and dry; resinous pine with herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, no parsley), spices and a touch of incense. It conjures the smell of dark and dusty old Mediterranean churches; or 'Italian Cypress' minus the sunnier elements. There is a slightly sticky quality on my skin. I didn't really enjoy it but it might make a 'nice and gloomy' scent for Goths tired of their funereal rose fragrances, or a pine-enthusiast looking for something different. I found sillage and longevity average (review of EdT).

Bigsly's avatar

Yang by Jacques Fath

I have the new version, which may explain the diverse reviews. To me, the drydown on this is more along the lines who talk about tea with jam and honey. I don't get strong wood or any kind of "lotion" quality. It doesn't smell "dirty" or animalic in any way. If it's smoky that must in the top notes, and I get little if any citrus. It's not musky and the spices are gentle/subtle. It smells very pleasant and the sweetness doesn't get cloying. There is no nasty synthetic musk used, nor do I detect iso e super. Projection was at least good and longevity was excellent. More for the niche crowd and certainly has unisex potential.

odysseusm's avatar

JB by Jack Black

Starts off slightly sweet, with some fruity and minty notes. It's kind of generic smelling at this point. Nothing wrong with it, but its not particularly distinctive. There is a vague hint of smoke and wood which is nice. The dry-down has a tiny bit of amber-vanilla (but not problematic).
    I'll give it a mild thumbs-up overall, for being a decent, fresh-smelling scent. No one will be offended by this.

odysseusm's avatar

Wild Bluebell by Jo Malone

I also noticed the cantaloupe opening, and I think it is kinda oddball in a floral scent.
    Thankfully, it quickly burns off. We are left with a soft, gentle floral. Lily of the valley sorts of notes are the core. A tiny bit sweet but not problematic. A young, innocent sort of smell. Not heavy or cloying.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This aquatic is for me a good alternative for those who find the original Aqva Pour Homme too salty and less fresh.
    This one is less salty and opens way fresher than it's older brother and stays that way for hours. The opening of grapefruit and neroli is quite a refreshing experience! After that the watery elements with seaweed and rosemary kick in which makes the smell more mature in my opinion. It resembles indeed the smell of fresh sea water which is very unique! The basenotes are cedar and amber to make it last for a few hours. I have to agree with Shamu that this is one of the best aquatics on the market. Sillage is above average and longevity is average, like 4-6 hrs depending on amount of application. Best to use in late spring and summer. A drawback is that the frag is quite expensive! I could get it with a 50% discount and I would advise to buy this only when discounted! Rated: 8.5/10

only_me!'s avatar

Brut by Fabergé

A review/skit for the older Basenotian with reference to Harry Enfield's iconic busy-body who surely would have worn Brut!

"Only Me!!

No, no, no, no, no! You don’t wanna wear that, you wanna wear one of the world’s all-time most popular men’s aftershaves. That’s it, you want to avail yourself to a classical, soapy sweet, fern fragrance; an aromatic fougere ...there we are... you wanna wear the ‘great smell of Brut’ - this is what we wore back in the 70s and the 80s and, if I'm not mistaken, I do believe you'll find Brut defines the olfactory genre.

And you don’t wanna dab it on, you wanna splash it on just like the adverts for Brut 33 used to say with Henry Cooper and Kevin Keegan. That ‘s it go on....a bit more... .no a bit more, go on...splash it all over – that’s it! "

The bottle’s contents spill out everywhere!

"Now I do not believe that you wanted to do that!

No, no, no...tut, tut, tut!

(Fading in the background) And you don’t want an old-fashioned splash bottle – you should invest in a more modern spray form of dispenser. And you don’t wanna wear the same old cheap aftershave all the time. You should try and wear a more varied range of contemporary unisex niche perfumes: Frederick Malle; Maison Francis Kurkdjian or maybe something from the Hermessence range....

Only Me!!!"

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

This fragrance opens as said with a lot of nutmeg but turns into something quite beautiful and sophisticated after 10 mins already! When the citrus and flowers start kicking in this scent is very hard to resist! It smells unique, sophisticated, chic and very masculine! This frag is pretty versatile as it is good for office, casual and formal but mainly indoors, imol! It turns into a close to the skin scent after an hour but it's not a cloying scent so it can be applied liberally to extend sillage and longevity which are average to me (6 hrs).
    It is a big mistery to me that this gem gets bashed by Turin in The Guide by giving it only one lousy star! To me it's excellent, timeless, unique, for the real man and many thumbs up! Rated: 9/10

tropicalstorm's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Did wonders for me 10 years ago when the girl I made out with actually couldn't stop complimenting me on how good I smelled :)

This green, clean fragrance has lost some of its' sting since it was introduced in 1999. What made it great then was the distinct note of pepper which actually stood quite apart from its' other spicy notes. That missing note, without doubt packed quite a punch. Unfortunately it's gone. The designers do talk about green pepper in the middle notes however, the alchemy is lost because you just get a vague whiff of it- this is due to the fact that the top notes are overwhelmingly green and refuse to die down and let the perfume blossom.

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

This woody spicy fragrance is, for me, a very complicated one!
    After reading all reviews I see that many say different things about it as well, which confirms my thoughts.
    I own it now for a year and start liking it more and more and more! I am very sensible for black pepper and the oil of this spice is exactly what is used a lot in this fragrance! I can smell the delicious smell of black pepper for hours in this fragrance. It is surrounded by all kind of notes. Cloves and nutmeg on the background, light citrus and neroli surrounding the spices, flowers coming in during the heart stage and a base of leather, sandalwood, musk, balsam fir, vanilla and incense! Impossible to detect all these notes as they are so well blended with the spicy notes! This is a great casual outdoors fragrance for the spring and early summer and can also be worn during the fall imo! I saw a comparison to Cacharel pour l'homme in a review and if that is so (it was cause of the nutmeg) this is Cacharel's BIG brutal pepper brother living far away. Both very good frags in their own way however! Sillage is huge, first hour, and longevity is like 6 hrs. Very good and thumbs way up! Rated: 8/10

Joop! Homme by Joop!

First of all make sure you have the correct bottle of this juice with 'Homme' written above Joop! on the bottle and package! There are two with this and both are good! The current sold version has 'Homme' written under Joop and is pretty ruined into a sweet mess.

This juice opens very sweet and loud but for its magic you have to wait till the drydown!
    Only then Joop! Homme shows its glory and refinement. The candy sweetness has then been mixed with delicious cinnamon and vanilla notes and is very enjoyable for a very long time!
    People who say this is way too sweet all the way most probably apply this frag completely wrong or just have the wrong reformulated version! When u spray this like a cheap cologne on your neck with many sprays you smell like a sweet sugar bomb all day and won't receive a single compliment besides the fact it will smell incredible cloying!
    The right application is, imo, 1 spray to the chest and a spray to each wrist and rub it a little behind each ear. That's it, no more! then the frag will soon open up and show you all it has to offer. Good for casual use or clubbing during late fall and winter. Sillage is above average and longevity 12+ hrs. Rated: 7/10

frogsnsnails's avatar

What We Do In Paris Is Secret by A Lab on Fire

Do not believe the hype. Don't let it influence you when you try this scent.
    When I first smelled this, I was definitely not impressed, thinking, it wasn't too groundbreaking, I've smelled this before, this is something you'd easily smell on just about anyone else, etc.
    But then.... there it was. After a couple hours, the typical overly-marketed top notes fade and it dries down into this honey-sexied-spicyness (curiously similar to Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d’Orange) that I can't seem to get over. It haunts me. It's feminine. It's sweet. It's sexy with just the perfect amount of spice with a trail of vanilla. And did I mention it lasts for HOURS with excellent projection. Ugh. So now I'm crazy over this marvelous perfume that I wasn't too enthralled with in the beginning. Goodbye $110.
    Edit: A Lab on Fire sells .5 fl oz (15 ml) of this wonderful juice for $45. Sold!

Versace l'Homme by Versace

For me this is the best the Versace house has ever offered for men.
    This fragrance is for mature bold men who are confident about themselves.
    Being produced for almost 3 decades already and for a reason! Though reformulated this fragrance is still very enjoyable if you like strong manly scents! This frag has it all! A manly citrus opening, followed by manly spices and a manly leathery drydown! Old fashioned or dated? No way! It's still very wearable and classy but again this is not for men who mainly like the after 90's bunch of woody citrus and aquatic scents. This is still wearable old school!
    The sillage and longevity are way above average (8+ hrs) and women like this as well a lot as so is my experience. Brilliant stuff! Masculanity, boldness, confidence and matureness in one! Good for casual as well as formal wear in- and outdoors all year around except real hot weather! This will aways be in my wardrobe for sure! Rated: 9/10

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Almost 80 years ago created and still going strong! Amazing!

This masterpiece is only to be avoided when one really hates lavender or vanilla.
    If not, this is a must buy!
    It is mainly a three note composition of lavender, vanilla and musk but so well blended that it is rightfully considered as a masterpiece!
    It opens with a fresh blast of lavender which smells very pure! Shortly after the raw vanilla (which is indeed not sweet) kicks in surrounded by musk which makes this frag pretty unique, very fresh and clean! During the base the vanilla and musk take over on the lavender but the moment this happens is difficult to point out! It's that well blended. the frag gives you a clean, fresh feeling and is perfect for casual wear during the morning in spring or summer after you showered! Longevity is average (6 hrs) and sillage is from above average to average during the course of wearing time. An advantage is that this can be applied in different ways; over-apllication for huge sillage (at first) and decent longevity if one wants this for as long as possible or just a few sprays to start the first morning hours in a very fresh but warm way! It never gets cloying and is pretty inoffensive as it is not a sweet fragrance. For 30+ years and up! Rated: 8.5/10

drseid's avatar

Arso by Profumum

Arso opens with a mixture of smoky incense, sweet amber and pine resin. This semi-sweet smoky pine pretty much hangs around from start to finish as the scent is extremely linear. Joining this accord in the heart is a minor woody cedar note that mingles with the resinous coniferous aspects to create a somewhat dark are deep overall accord that is rather distinctive if not more than a bit abstract. The overall accord sweetens a bit more in the dry-down with a slightly earthy feel late. Projection and longevity are both average.

I like pine scents in general, but I can't say I really like Arso much. There is something about the mixture of its sweet amber, smoky incense and pine that just seems somewhat "off" to my nose. The scent does improve a bit in the dry-down, but not enough to get me to really like the stuff. Arso is not terrible, but its nothing I want to wear despite its admitted distinctiveness and innovation. If you are a "cone head" looking for something completely different than other coniferous scents on the market Arso is sniff worthy, but I recommend sticking to other coniferous scents like Norne by Slumberhouse that smell a heck of a lot better for a lot less money. Arso gets an "average" rating of 2.5 stars out of 5.

Boston Man by Antonio Puig

I bought this in Spain this year for €9.99 in the local supermarket and it is not out of production!
    For this price the quality of this frag is incredibly good!
    It smells very fresh, green and a little herbal and reminds me in some way as being a little brother of the great Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels though it's not smoky and less dark and way fresher/thinner.
    Longevity and sillage are average (6 hrs) and it's best to use casual or to work.
    Good for the mature man who doesn't want to spend a fortune on fragrances and is fine with just a few cheap frags without smelling cheap! Thumbs up! Rated: 7/10

Christian Audigier For Him by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

To my surprise, nobody has reviewed this fragrance. This is actually a well known fragrance amongst average Joe's, as it's sold in most retail stores at retail prices; like Kohl's, Belk's, The Men's Warehouse, etc.

The opening is a berry blast. Blackberry, blueberries, accompanied with a dark pear note, vetiver and suede, all shine through from the start. The berries die off, the pear becomes more noticeable, remains dark, and combines with an array of notes. The result, is an oakmoss, vetiver and leather prominent dry down, with a little bit of fruit and cinnamon there to keep it interesting.

Projection is weak, and longevity is about 6 hours. I'm not too thrilled with this one, other than its rich berry set of top notes. I have Michael Kors for men which is the way this fragrance dries down, only MK is much better.

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

There are not many reviews of this interesting fragrance but what I read in those that they are all diifferent (mainly on Fragrantica)!

Anise?!, Honey, no honey, leather, smokey, very masculine, unisex, patchouli, no patchouli, woody, soapy, cinnamon, no cinnamon etc. Fun to read them all!

What I get is an original, dry, woody, slightly spiced but pretty good masculine smell which exists mainly out of woody notes surrounded by a light citrus, some fir, cinnamon (but very little) and some amber in the drydown. I do not smell patchouli, honey, leather, soap or whatsoever. After the fresh opening of 10 mins the fragrance is pretty linear and inoffensive.
    Good for casual and office! Sillage is average and longevity above average (almost 8 hrs!).
    Not bad and one of the best Antonio Banderas has to offer for men of the age between 25-50 years old. Not bad at all as this fragrance is very inexpensive! I would not buy this again when my 100ml is empty but enjoy it while it's there! Rating: 7/10

Zut's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Arpège pour homme is one of the many fragrance-related disappointments I have experienced in the past years. Once again, this fragrance contains many of my favourite notes. When I tried it for the very first time, I was so impressed with APH, I almost bought a bottle on the spot (fortunately, I knew that one of the first rules of perfume shopping is that impulse buying is a definite no-no). On my wrist, APH had that vanilla/tonka quality I always look for in a fragrance. I immediately thought I finally had found a masculine equivalent of Shalimar and I was utterly delighted. The salesman gave me a couple of samples and I wore APH a few days later for a New Year's Eve party. What a let-down! This fragrance that was soft and sweet on my wrist became strong, hard, cloying and headachy when applied on my body. I could almost taste the juice. After a while, I had to wash it off. A few weeks later, I tried it again and although I applied very sparingly that time, I ended up with the same disastrous results. I know this fragrance is good because so many guys wear it extremely well. Too bad I am not one of them...

Teach13's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I currently own a sample of L'eau d'Issey pour Homme, and for some reason I get the faintest hint of honey initially. I've done a lot of reading, and it seems like I'm the only one that gets this...and it doesn't last long...but I like it.

When my wife smelled it, she said that it "smells like a sportier, more masculine version of the perfume I wore in college" (it was something from Chanel, but she couldn't remember the exact scent).

I like L'eau d'Issey pour Homme because it's soft. Calm. On me, it lasts about 4-6 hours, and stays pretty close to the skin. I don't get major projection from it like others do. However...that's good. It's the kind of scent I would wear when I don't want others to NOTICE ME(!!), as other colognes demand. I see PH as the kind of cologne I could wear for almost any occasion in any season.

I'd like to test it against a few others and maybe even try the Intense version before I commit to buying it...but I see this being a purchase, and as the cost is very fair, it could be a purchase in the very near future.

KSG's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Lol first smelled this in Debenhams at first i found the opening a bit strong but after the initial spray it settles down to an amazing scent perfect for clubbing even though it's old i don't smell this one around much on friends, family or in clubs. One of the very best aquatics in my opinion!

KSG's avatar

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

Not offensive but all i really get from this is a spicy vibe not a big fan and won't be purchasing a bottle, there are much better frags on the market for the pricetag

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

This is a good light woody spicy (a bit of pepper) scent that can be used at any occasion at any season but has for me one big drawback (and therefor I sold my bottle) and that is: This is TOO inoffensive and TOO safe after the fresh opening, that lasts 15 mins, to get a thumbs up. For me a fragrance must at least have something daring or contain an interesting part that makes it special. Can be a tiny 'part' but must be there in a frag for me. This frag lacks on that level and is therefor pretty boring in my opinion. This is one of the most perfect fragrances for people who only want to own one fragrance all year around and stick to that. Sillage and longevity are safe and average. Not for frag addicts! Neutral: Rated: 6-/10

sjohnjay's avatar

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

I am not impressed.
    I can't give this anything but a Negative, due to its mundane/trite execution.
    A definite low-point for CDG.
    My assessment: Take ONE part Terre d'Hermes and THREE parts Lanvin Vetiver, and you have an accurate equal to Amazingreen.

01st September, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2012)

Swanky's avatar

Wild Country by Avon

Wild Country, like Canoe before it, blends sweetness and powder and an intense lavender to make a slightly overbearing result. Jade East and Brut are both similar enough to, and contemporary with, Wild Country (an unsuitable name) that there is redundancy here. Stick to Black Suede for an Avon Classic. Clubman and Jockey Club tackle the barbershop in a better, frankly more pleasing fashion.

01st September, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2012)