Fragrance Reviews from October 2013

ClarkScent's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Class Act

When I first purchased this gem I thought it was the original 1955 version. I fell in love with it. I got married in it. Then later I learned what it actually is. The original of anything usually is the best choice..not in this case. While I do enjoy the original for what it is, my choice (not that I have to choose) is the concentree. The kind of scent that I imagine makes angels smile with every spray.

Pros: Sophistication Squared
    Cons: Would like 5 mins more longevity "

perfumefanatic's avatar

Brocade by Avon

High quality spicy rose

I had this in my stash and decided to give it a try today. What struck me was it's similarity to vintage Ombre Rose or Houbigant's Lutece, both of which I've been searching for. This is a spicy, musky, powdery rose, appropriate for wear anytime of year, in just about any situation. I'm glad I rediscovered it.

It's going into my more frequent rotation now.

Pros: A lower cost alternative to Ombre Rose, Lutece
    Cons: Getting harder to find."

gimpy's avatar

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

Holy grail material

When I was younger, I would spend my summers on my grandparents' Texas ranch. The midday heat was something else. Dry, sparse rugged vegetation, sunbaked brown dirt. L'Eau Trois reminds me so much of my experiences then exploring.

The first 30 minutes are nothing but bitterly dry resins, herbs, and dirt. I am instantly taken back. It is the smell of that dry Texas outdoors I loved. Slowly the smouldering myrrh makes its appearance (and main appearance) giving the fragrance added substance. This smell holds for the duration of the scent.

L'Eau Trois is at once centering, calm, masculine, conforming, and dry. I've never smelled anything like it. In fact, it's slowly replaced my Yatagan and Timbutku for what I tend to naturally grab to wear daily because it's so comfortable. Not to mention L'Eau Trois has also become my favorite incense scent out of all--this makes Avignon seem dainty.

Longevity is superb--I can even smell this after a shower.

Coriander by D.S. & Durga

Delightful

I'm just starting out in fragrance, and love green/herbaceous scents. So happy I found this one! Green, tangy out of the bottle, a delicate kick of pepper, a minimal sweetness at the drydown. Open and not terribly complex. Shit, I love it.

Pros: herby, minimal sweetness
    Cons:

01st October, 2013

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Stoic Green

Classy garden leaf. Certainly linear but I don't care, I love it. If you crave green scents without too much sweetness this is one to try.

Earl Grey & Cucumber by Jo Malone

Powdered Tea

My first fragrance. Loved it at the time of purchase because it struck me as crisp and fresh, unlike all the floral and fruity fare. But having better explored green and herbaceous scents and coming back, I can hardly stand the powdery sweetness and bad vanilla tripping all over the other notes.

Pros: yummy earl grey opening
    Cons: powdery sweet"

Arsenic No. 17 by Tokyo Milk

Almost Excellent

The absinthe and fennel are lovely here. Would be excellent if they held longer, and the vanilla was toned down. Off to explore absinthe scents now...

Pros: fennel, who knew?!
    Cons: vanilla, you harlot, cover yourself"

rbaker's avatar

Ladamo by O'Driù

Bold health-and-nature Gourmand

In the beginning the impression is rich earth, nature and ginger. Soon I get a note of carrots, including the aroma of the roots when they just have been pulled out. A gentle magnolia adds a softer note, until in the drydown licorice with a bit of sandalwood and tobacco give it a richer and darker turn again. The base is a juniper berry note that fits in very well. It is like a mixture of earth, nature and a health food shop, a gourmand without chocolate, vanilla and other less dietitian-approved menus. Beautifully blended, good silage and projection, and a superb longevity of over eleven hours. Bold, original and creative, just right for that country weekend in cooler climes.

Doc.T 1977's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

Smells floral and peppery, But well balanced

I went and tried many different colognes at a local department store. I usually pick out the sweeter fruitier ones. This scent isn't so much on the fruity side as to me, It smells peppery, as well as powdery. I can detect the base of white musk in it. It's a very well rounded scent. The only issue was I thought it was a bit overly priced. Other than that, Keep up the good work Burberry!

Pros: Last a long time, Smells great
    Cons: Price"

Douceur de Vanille by Les Néréides

Vanilla, powder, and simplicity.

High end baby powder… Baby powder with vanilla, cocoa, and almonds. A smooth, gentle, simple fragrance with no rough spots. On me it is linear, has a rather strong sillage, and lasts for a long time – especially when its final stage as a skin scent is taken into a consideration. Douceur de Vanille is a great scent if you like vanilla, powder, and simplicity. If any of these bother, forget it.

Pros: Smooth gentle, attractive.
    Cons: Not very complex."

tiramisu's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Dune by Christian Dior

Essence of Summer

When I was little, one of my favorite summer pastimes was to go amber hunting. I would get up early in the morning and walk the few steps from our Baltic Sea summer house to the beach, eager to see what the waves had brought in during the night. After a quick dip in the cold, salty water, I would wrap myself in a bathrobe and walk, bent over, near the water line, carefully scanning the shore for a brown or golden pebble that seemed out of place in the white sand. A gentle sea breeze would blow, bringing with it a palette of scents ranging from brackish water and dry sand to warm sunscreen and old kelp.

This is what I get from Dune. When first applied, I get a burst of something fresh and floral, as innocent as a childhood memory. That quickly gives way to a deeper, aromatic flower and incense both resting on a bed of warm sandalwood. When I lean closer, I get the salty sea, the warm sand and even a whiff of the musty kelp, backed up by musk and amber. For me, Dune works best on warm, even sweaty, skin where it leaves a more balanced foot print; it is softer, rounder and I am even able to pick up a trace of vanilla.

Dune is a complex and interesting fragrance with scents ranging from delightful to downright strange. But it works. For several years, Dune has been my favorite summer daytime fragrance and, like the amber I once found, I treasure it like a gem.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

amazing

First, I think this is an amazing fragrance. Classic. Super versatile and not dated at all. But what a shame. YSL made this masterpiece and decided "let's repackage it in a new bottle that we will use for our other standard YSL's, put in half the amount we originally did, and double the price." Bad move. I have a sample of this, and I will not be buying a bottle.... ever. It is sad to see greed result in the death of a masterpiece. Consumers are on to this, and I imagine they won't be buying this for over $100 a bottle either. A+ for the smell, F for marketing and price.

Pros: smells great
    Cons: new bottle design along with far less in quantity and a ridiculously high price"

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Great fragrance

Cigar.... this smells like it costs 2-3 times what it is going for. A quality scent. There are not many scents that I feel blends tobacco in with the other notes of a fragrance. Take tobacco vanilla for instance.... in my opinion, the tobacco and vanilla does not seem blended, they seem very separate, almost competing for attention. Not to say tobacco vanille is bad, but Cigar is a great combination. The tobacco is present but not punching you in the face like TV. Extremely underrated, lasts forever and smells of quality.

Pros: quality
    Cons: underrated"

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

covers the entire spectrum from clean to dirty

This, like Guerlain's Vetiver, took some getting used to. At first sampling, I thought this was the smell of a generic bar of soap scented with patchouli and incense (which the bottle resembles). I couldn't smell any of these urine cake/feces notes everyone was talking about. On the contrary; it smelled almost clean. On subsequent wearings, I could definitely detect what could be interpreted as a urine/fecal smell. But really I think it's just the honey/civet smell. I really hope they are not using authentic civet to make this stuff. After more than a year experimenting with it, I wore it outside on a hot summer day and it smelled great! It doesn't smell dated and has great strength and smells fresh, but also dirty. It seems a lot of the younger people these days are getting into old school classics, and this shouldn't be overlooked. There's a reason it's still for sale.

Pros: not outdated
    Cons:

02 October, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Solid scent that doesn't live to its name

This scent has a fantastic spicy opening and settles down into a very light, yet powerful woody fragrance. The bottle design is very unique and works in a weird fashion. You have to "pull the pin" on the fragrance or else it doesn't spray. I thought the designers did a great job of combining the grenade shape with the pin-pulling gimmick. The projection and longevity is extremely good for me but it's the scent itself that doesn't feel like a "bomb." The spice comes very early but dissipates quickly. I also receive compliments very regularly compared to most of my collection.

Even though it's woody, it developed much more feminine than I anticipated. I sprayed a card in a designer store and got a completely different fragrance compared to how it develops on my skin. I don't mind it being a little feminine but I wasn't really looking for that type of development when I bought it. I bought it from a high-end clothes store so I'm not sure if it was their set price that made it so high or not but when it was rung up, I was surprised it was priced so high. I was also a little annoyed that it only came in 90 ml. It felt a little short-changed compared to 99% of other designers that come in 100 ml.

8.9/10

Pros: 1. Crazy design and concept that works well as a bottle collector 2. I get fantastic projection and longevity 3. Great compliment getter
    Cons: 1. More feminine than I expected 2. Expensive for a designer 3. Doesn't come in the full 100 ml"

Beach by Bobbi Brown

unique

I'm a guy who usually prefers more masculine scents (fahrenheit) as well as soapy ones, and I love to rock this. I think it is a unisex smell. Yes, it really does smell like coppertone! Depending on your tastes, that's a good thing or bad. In my case, it's good. 4 stars, but could easily be 5 if it weren't for the high price tag and short longevity. Either way, guy or girl, check it out.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

O-Più by I Profumi di Firenze

Spicy Carnation

Mostly carnation, then cloves, other spices. Lavender, geranium and a slight touch of non-sweet vanilla complete the picture, going from sharp to balmy and almost resinous. Although there's not even a hint of incense, for some reason I'm constantly reminded of the image of an old church and I'm still to figure out why.

Pros: Deep
    Cons: Quite retro"

klosa40's avatar

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Metal detergent

I had heard so much about this fragrance and was so keen to smell it. At first sniff, I thought  it was amazing and different (I love the unconventional). Fast forward about two hours and all I could smell, was metallic floor cleaner, and almost threw up on the spot. What happened??? "My nose" I thought , maybe I'm coming down with a cold. So I went for another round about 2 weeks later, convinced I would find magic. There was that floor cleaner again, with a double dose of metal - just horrible. I'm wishing I could sample the original formula so I could join the fan club. But not with this one I'm afraid.

Pros: None
    Cons: Doesn't smell pleasant at all, very sterile."

rbaker's avatar

XVERT by O'Driù

Avant-garde autumn

The top note starts with the aroma of old leaves rotting on the autumn soil, a bold, creative but slightly unusual start. Soon a delightful magnolia note brightens it up, like a ray of mellow sunlight breaking through the trees. The drydown is greener, based in estragon and cardamom, with a pleasantly medicinal hint. A note of sandal with dried grass determines the base notes beautifully and a tad more traditionally. On my skin the initial projection and silage are acceptable but it is not very loud after the first hours, and the second half is quite close to my skin. Excellent longevity of over ten hours. A creative version of the autumn forest scent, a kind of dunhill blend 30 meets Hieronymous Bosch.

JungleNYC's avatar

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Soft, leathery, fairly long lasting

This is certainly an "oldie, but a goodie." A good go-to daily frag that's pretty un-offensive, but more interesting than a lot of stuff out there.

Seems more of a fall/winter scent, to me. Mature.

To me the tobacco is the main note here. There are herbs and citrus and some clove going on, but the leather is the key. And it's a good leather, too. Nice and soft.

Although not usually my first pick in the morning, this one is certainly one that I feel I "can't go wrong" with. I never regret wearing it.

Pretty good deal, too.

Pros: Lots of positive compliments
    Cons: Slightly bitter"

ScentFan's avatar

Nahéma by Guerlain

Nice, but not compelling

I'm wearing it for the first time today after receiving a miniature and it's not a scent I'll return to. Not so much because there's anything wrong with it, but more because there's nothing powerfully right in this pleasant floral. Do I smell pumpkins? The Jasmine's there and, for me, that's usually essential. I can smell peach and I love the sandalwood I think I detect. But somehow it reminds me of old clothes. Okay, it's not me. Washing it off to try my vintage Shalimar.

Pros: florals
    Cons: Indistinct"

magnus611's avatar

Chambre Noire by Olfactive Studio

Sex appeal in a bottle

Sampled out from a Decant:

Wow what a Master piece, luv it and on my wishlist should get the big bottle in a couple of months as i'm still obtaining other frags but this one is in my mind. This frag from the first stage is olfactory impacting with it's leather, plum, boozy,powder etc accords is mesmerizing.Two enthusiastic thumps up.

Pros: Merges to your molecules and it endures through all other odor during your day.
    Cons: (NON(Might be put of the1st try but give it second chance, cause I did."

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Lovely

I would like to have the right words to describe this fragance but I don't. All I can say is that this fragance in Eau de Parfum version smells like real musk. It's romantic and masculine.

Darvant's avatar

Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie

Excellent beginning and far less thrilling dry down.

The first blast is stunning, simply stunning on my skin. I detect immediately a sort of inebriating (almost boozy and sparkling in effect) powdery/peppery orange-cinnamon combo which is aromatic, by soon almost minty and i would say dusty in a sort of barely talky/cedary and spicy way. A huge amount of pungent molecules swirl in the air. The orange is soon detectable in this phase but is fortunately a bit veiled by aromatic elements and spices, which is frankly a detail i appreciate. You can detect also a sort of green cedar/myrrh association which is dusty for sure (with the support of some peppery notes) and soon powdery (and in a while almost balmy) but in a slightly humid way. The note of fennel imprints that minty touch in its combination with some aromatic spices as coriander and saffron. The background is anyway dominated by a spicy sweet orange with a cedary woody approach (and a longly peppery vibe). Effectively the more the development goes ahead the more some balsams and the slightly sticky frankincense take the stage taming (hardly) the spices tornado and orienting the juice towards a more ordinary "supremely orangy" vanilla and incense basic mixture. I appreciate this juice despite i don't properly crave for the scents with a dominant spicy orange, anyway i can't write this is something i would suppose ever to purchase. The dry down retains a sort of earthy/incensey undertone but the main olfactory (balmy/gassy) appearance is frankly a bit boring, "designer type", fashionable and common, lacking that touch of atmospherical and evocative holiness that a niche incense fragrance is used to imprint aroud.

Pros: Spicy, aromatic, slightly incensey.
    Cons: Too much finally orangy/vanillic."

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Marine not aquatic

Like I stated I consider this fragante as marine and not aquatic. It's a very serious fragance not a teenage stuff. I like second after Acqua di Gio Essenza to wear by the sea.

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Damn reformulations

Why do you have to mess with something that was simply bright, wonderful, masculine, different, well done? I just want to have the vintage one but I sit in humbleness and accept what it is now.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Another damn reformulation

I used to have the vintage one and the thing smelled for days but had the strong syrup note. The reformulated version doesn't have it so pronunciated but doesn't last either. 10 or 15 sprays to get a satisfactory morning with the frgrance. What a job you have made people at Loreal. Damn!!! The same thing with Kouros.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

wonderful

The smell of wet grass cut by the morning. Calming. Relaxing.

scentgent's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler Pops Your Cherry

I have been testing this fragrance for about 4 weeks now, so I think that I have a pretty solid handle on it. I would like to start off by saying that this overall "scent" is very solid. It is not harsh at all and the best word to describe it is "smooth."

That being said, this tops with Vanilla and Tobacco Leaf and dries down with Cherry and Honey. Biggest complaints focus on the heavy cherry and longevity. I think the cherry is pronounced, but not to the cough syrup level.

The biggest reason to consider this fragrance is if you do not want attention. You heard that right, you do NOT want compliments or attention. This is practically an "on your skin scent" after 45 minutes of application. If you are in close contact with people, that is an entirely different story. They need to be practically on your skin to smell this. That can be a good thing too, and I know that I want that experience at times as well.

Translation: You are buying this to enjoy the fragrance only for yourself and possibly a significant other. That is it. It needs heat in order to work. In the summer months I am going to assume longevity and projection problems would disappear.

Finally, I think with there was a reformulation upon the rerelease. It smells heavier on the cherry and weaker on the tobacco than when I last had a chance with this. I do not see this as an office scent. It is too fruity and unprofessional and there is a lot out there that is cheaper that does the trick much better. This would be a great casual scent however.

For a personal experience, it is very good. If you are trying to garner compliments, I would go with another frag. In comparison to the rest of the Tierry Mugler line, there is better out there in my opinion. It's still good, just not as good as other options.

Pros: Pleasant scent, Versatile
    Cons: Poor projection and longevity for a Mugler line frag"

Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone by Giorgio Armani

current line is better

This thing doesn't have anything aoustanding. L'Occitane Vetiver is by faaaaaaar better and cheaaaaaper than this. Only difference, you won't find this everywhere. Thanks God for that. A real waste of money.

02 October, 2013 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2014)