Fragrance Reviews from December 2013

Florientated's avatar
    Florientated

Bond Girl 007 by Avon

I have never been a fan of Avon perfumes, I find they often smell cheap and juvenile. However, when I was given a bottle of this a few years ago I was blown away. This is definitely a summer scent for me, it's clean, fresh and just complex enough to be extremely sophisticated. Staying power is excellent, I just wish I could find more of it!

Florientated's avatar
    Florientated

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I used to smell this on my aunty as a little girl and thought it was beautiful. I don't know if it just my chemistry but it smells like cut grass and cat pee on my skin, and I have to wash myself over and over again to get it off.

I love smelling it on other people, but god help anyone who sprays it on me.

Biotherm Homme by Biotherm

The opening is a pleasant petitgrain with green herbal accents: rosemary, clary sage and thyme, with a flowery hint - mainly geranium - in the drydown. Later it is quite a decent coriander note with some cumin and wood that is more evident. Less fresh and less convincing than some of the other
    Biotherm scents, it is traditional, pleasant but not special. All right in spring weather.

carlosrafael's avatar
    carlosrafael

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lovely comfort scent. BF like somebody made a flour of woods, almonds.peanuts, and iris and produced this redolent powder turned into liquid. Delicious and pleasant to smell.

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Peety by O'Driù

Peety by O`Driu is a Floral woody/musky concoction with an animalic soul and an herbal/aromatic stout undertone throughout. I'm lately enjoying sometimes on the skin this ultimate gem and have to say that the new experiment leans much on the more modern Leva side than on the one of my "ancient" absolute favorite Vis et Honor (or the one of the second love of mine Laltrove 1001). Bearish for sure but less mouldy and "ancient" than the O'Driu' heavyweights (some at least) in my opinion. On a first approach i detect (tenacious till the end) hints of orangy/ cinnamon (may be ylang- ylang yet), faint patterns of aromatic herbs/lemongrass (yes slightly a la Laurhum may be due to hints of thyme, tobacco, spices and laurel followed by soothing elements), an interaction of saffron, may be cumin over a woody/vanillic (minimal hints of coffee yet??) smooth base mastered by a well modulated smokey and animalic (forgive me, also "peessy") presence re-calling more properly a fur/castoreum/ambergris/tobacco combo than effectively the civet itself. The orangy vibe is notable and the more the juice discloses its wings the more i catch the peppery presence around. The floral patterns are not easy to identify but frankly i detect more spicy/jasmine, neroli and exotic floral elements than the rose itself. The note of tonka is central in the final process that provides slowly to round down the aroma as well as some vanilla which keeps inside the tobacco vibe as surrounded by musky, herbal and spicy nuances. This "avantgarde" juice is brown/dark and warm but never syrupy for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say that the dark brown dry down tends to become (in a more masculine "sense" to me) decidedly smooth, delightful, slightly ambery/woody, highly sophisticated by spices, aromatic greens and fruity/floral, barely leathery notes. The leather (a subtle suede feel) emerges at distance and i feel it for sure on me, to be precise not properly in its common consistency rather more exactly in its olfactory "cuoio" aroma itself. In this phase the fragrance smells like a more civilized and modern olfactory potion but is still plain as aftertaste that sort of "mould" of shadowy edible spices, prickly dust, musk, patchouli, herbs and smoke. I agree about the inexorable (calm and slow) walk of the olfactory evolution and about the great lasting power of the aroma which when seems to be gone actually lingers around as a ghost for hours and hours. A more purified sort of l'Air du desert Marocain jumps vaguely to mind sometimes. Another example of the huge Pregoni's futuristic creativity whereof emerge extreme quality of the ingredients (natural in great part- actually the implementation of synthetic patterns is in here introduced) and avantgarde abitity to reproduce in a modern key an arcane "humus" and some bucolic enviromental atmospheres.

Kol's avatar
    Kol

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

got this as a present used it once & sold it on ebay generic rubbish. How this is popular is beyond me

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

This is one of my go-to scents, and it sits out in the open with my regular rotation of scents. This is not a novelty for me. When I cannot decide on what I "feel" like wearing, I tab on some of this perfume. (I don't use the EDT.) It's green and fresh with the galbanum but warm with the vanilla notes in the drydown. There are also hints of something leathery. Very much a classic Guerlain, so if you prefer citruses and fruity florals, this may not be for you. This is truly a unisex, and it is warm and elegant.

lpp's avatar
    lpp
    England England

Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga

The blackberry bit was sort of O.K., but the choking that soon followed less so.

Chaz by Revlon

Review of the original Revlon formulation:
    An mandarin-citrus opening that has a somewhat boozy component with a green touch that is very pleasant; it is followed by a herbal moment before developing into a wood-based scent. In the drydown a gentle patchouli leads to a warm amber note, which in the later stages is sided by a restrained moss base. Never loud, this is balanced, well-blended, never heavy and not without a touch of elegance. Decent silage and projection, and four hours of longevity on my skin. Good on a cool spring day.

ScentFan's avatar
    ScentFan

Jasmine by Demeter Fragrance Library

I love, love this Jasmine! It has a very pleasant green note. To me the pre-reformulation is right up there with A La Nuit and Jasmine Full, except perhaps less longevity. Who cares? At these prices, I'll respray. It's truly beautiful.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Tea Rose Amber by Perfumer's Workshop

I found it yesterday at TJ Maxx for $5. It's more about the amber than anything else and kind of synthetic starting out, but as it dries down it gets soft and mellow ant turns into a creamy ambery musk. In the store I stood there pondering it for a while, before I decided to place it into my basket, but it was so cheap I took the risk and now I'm glad I did. It's not a great perfume, but if your an amber lover, it is worth keeping your eyes open for, especially at that price.

I don't usually like rose scents but Perfumers Workshops Tea Rose is one I do like. Since the Rose and the Amber were both surprisingly good, I feel like going back to TJ's today to get the Tea Rose Jasmine that I passed on that was sitting right next to the Amber.

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Pompeïa by Piver

A delightful citrus, herbal, floral "splash" from the first part of the last century - this was meant as a feminine version of the masculine "after shave," - a light "lotion" concentration, meant to evaporate in an hour, but to add some fragrance when madame emerged from her bath -or today's shower - an artifact, I agree, but also a throwback to an age when fragrance was a garment, added and then shed and replaced all through out the day....fun!!!

For a longer lasting lotion from Piver, select White Heliotrope, which lasts for hours and hours.

Torrente Men by Torrente

A nice opening with a green-spicy core and a bit of booziness leads to a drydown based on the gentle spice note with a strong amber added to it. It is a rich scent that is never heavy or cloying. Good silage and projection with four hours of longevity. I like it on a nice autumn day.

Stinkyboi's avatar
    Stinkyboi

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Very fresh scent. Perfect for warmer weather but very versatile. My signature scent

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

The Party in Manhattan by The Party

I have to say I don't like the name, though I see the association with a party. But I like the fragrance. It's beautiful, with just enough cumin to hint at some animalics, without getting down and dirty. It has enough vivaciousness and a slight naughtiness from the cumin to add up to fun.
    The jasmine/rose accord is distinctive - it gives Party a smoothness and brightness most classic chypres don't have. Whenever jasmine is a player, it always introduces a certain refinement. The power of the old chypre is a certain roughness, a dusky raw edge, which is very appealing, adventuresome and unmannered. That old oakmoss was a potent power player. Party doesn't have that - it's more mannered, a little brighter and sweeter, but with its rooty, earthy tones & the slight cumin naughtiness, it still makes for a more serious sexy perfume than the typical fruity floral with its invariable musk base.
    I see the association some mention to Mitsouko, but Party is so much more about its smooth bright floral than Mitsouko, with its diffuse peach mellowness.
    It lasted longer than two hours on me, but longevity is still an issue as it had faded considerably after three hours, though it didn't disappear. If you wore it to a party you'd have to reapply or be happy with a skin scent.

02 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 05 December, 2013)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I'll rate it neutral as I'm not impressed. Sure it smells a bit like glass cleanser, for cleaning windows actually, to be more precise. Even better yet, reminds me of the smell of car washing foam. In style it's quite close to Silver Mountain by Creed but Creed is much more soft, refined mayhaps, whilst Central Park Bond No.9 is sharper and tad bit more herbal-lets say. In a way It's quite a cold fragrance, sort of aromatic and a bit green. I'd most certainly give it more credits if its price was lower. This fragrance doesn't justify its cost, but I don't think that's its ultimate flaw. Despite all, it manages to create a certain spark of emotion.

02 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2013)

elneto's avatar
    elneto

Aqua Fitness by Biotherm

It is BACK!!!!

YAY!

I am happy to confirm the new Aquafitness has the same fragrance as the one that was discontinued in the early 2000's. 12 years later is back :)

The fabulous gym cologne, shower and deodorant everyone needs.

And funny enough, the best "ozone" fragrance there is, so forget your Bvlgari Aqua, your Davidoff (ew!), Bond No 9 Chez Bond, or even Creed Silver Mountain... This is the good one and just for 35 USD :D

Viva Biotherm. Will never understand why is #1 in the world and not sold in the USA :S
    But you can order online!

Poboijosh's avatar
    Poboijosh

Lagerfeld Man by Lagerfeld

Lagerfeld Man is an amazing fragrance. The sheer uniqueness of it`s smell is an automatic thumbs up for me! I own upwards of 80 or so frags, including a few niche frags, and this is in the top 5 of my collection. Granted, it`s not perfect, but pretty darn good. The opening of Yuzu and Lavender is non-existent, if it`s there, it`s for a split second. The `real` opening is Cinnamon and Cedar, and White Woods, which resembles Big Red cinnamon bubble gum and is quite pleasing and comical. This lasts for about 30 minutes or so, with a good 5 or 6 sprays. The drydown is Cedar, with just a slight hint of Pure Musk and Amber, but mostly Cedar, being very dry, soft, but projecting very well. This resembles pencil shavings, or I guess what a pencil smells like, but it`s very nice smelling and absolutely unique. Yes, the drydown is simple lacking a lot of depth, but it smells so very lovely, and unlike any other fragrance I think. Sillage is great in the 6 hour range, and longevity is excellent with around 10-12 hours. If you're a Cedar fan, you'll adore Lagerfeld Man... I definitely am, and I do!!

doncmleon's avatar
    doncmleon

Jardins d'Amalfi by Creed

My God... this fragrance is what heaven probably smells like. It's beautiful. It's love and peace in a bottle. The opening is pure bliss. The drydown is unadulterated pleasure.

Buy this. It's worth it.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Bottega Veneta Pour Homme by Bottega Veneta

Woody, sweet, simple, a bit thick.
    Perhaps a slight metallic tinge.
    Smells inexpensive and generic.

gsujess's avatar
    gsujess

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I truly love this juice! I am in my early thirties and find it completely age appropriate, yet youthful and vibrant. When I first put it on I get clementine with sparkle of grapefruit that is replaced almost immediately by the sweet jasmine and rose middle notes. On me it settles in about an hour into the bourbon-musk-vetiver base. It almost reminds me of wearing a boyfriend's jacket and sniffing his lapel after he is gone.

kwitcherbitchen's avatar
    kwitcherbitchen

Clubman by Pinaud

This beautiful and potent fragrance ramps up with a complex citrus base that starts with stronger notes of Citral and Citronellol but balances nicely with definite hints of the tart Limonene along with a wispy dry note of Geraniol.

The middle was pretty much strong notes of the increasingly ubiquitous Hydroxycitronellal that was tamed to some degree with notes of a more dominant semi-sweet Linalool but then is very interestingly roughed up again with the decidedly heady presence of Oak Moss Extract.

The dry-down was moderately spicy with powdery notes...almost like pine fir bathed in talc...through the Evernia Prunastri and an earthy but soft Treemoss Extract with subtle chappy hints of Evernia Furfuracea.

It's a perfectly acceptable and wearable "old school" type of scent that's ideal for running weekend errands, poring over subpoenaed tax records or wolfing down a casual mid-afternoon lunch with a current or former downtown lover.

It's been the same product for 100 years and is still a very recognizable after shave cologne to that of the original formulation.

And I still LOVE IT.

10 Corso Como Uomo by 10 Corso Como

Gorgeously smoked black pepper opening that morphs into frankincense and wood. Uncomplicated, direct and well-executed, the heavenly smokiness elevates it from the ranks of the ordinary and proclaims difference. The drydown, though still pretty smooth, doesn’t manage to hang on to the smoke, and it becomes a fairly commonplace peppery-cedar accord. Easy to wear.

Herod by Parfums de Marly

A deep and rich vanilla, not too sweet, rounded by languid, cured tobacco accents. Has a brief and brisk fizz of spice at the top and the plumping out of fruity osmanthus tones in the heart. Comforting, had the potential for greatness were it not for dismal projection. Also holding it back is the dulling of its main notes as time wears on, perhaps a result of an unfortunate loading up of the base with airbrush musks.

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

Pleasant, light, green tea white floral. Opens with a pungent burst of quite synthetic smelling greenish citrus. The top is about the only view of the fruity notes of osmanthus one gets for the duration of this fragrance – fortunately the citrus fades, less fortunately so does the osmanthus. Nice enough on a summer day, but featureless. Does bear some resemblance to air freshener.

17/17 Homme by Xerjoff

Jeepers, which cauldron did they pull this megamongous leather from? Bag-and-sandal shop mixed in equal parts with roué’s black leather jacket after a night at an establishment with a name like The Sling or The Pit. The mix of new and weathered leather scents is an ingenious twist.
    Propelled in the opening by some herbal lavender, it soon settles into leather leather leather with an aureole of petrol fumes. Develops a pleasing creamy wood aspect in the deep dry down (4 hours). Well-made, with great persistence, will wow leatherheads to whose number I can’t say I belong.

APOM pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

APOM continues Francis K’s love affair with orange blossom, here presented in a manner that feels quite unadorned and the better for it. After a sprightly, bright and refreshing opening, the buttery, denser sweetness of ylang begins to creep in, along with the typical skin-like musk that gives billowy body to many a Kurkdjian offering. APOM goes light on the indoles, so even though it is heady, it doesn’t turn headachey.
    Good for what it is – a hymn of praise for orange blossom – it will likely fail those who were expecting something more. A few hours into the wear is when APOM pf really hits its stride, becoming radiant, focussed and confident, as though sprinkled with fairy dust. And then a further few hours later it turns into musky orange blossom haze.

Incense Oud by By Kilian

Opens forcefully as a somewhat typical Middle Eastern spiced frankincense concoction: a bit thrusting but definitely knowing its mind, and with a square cut to its jaw that’s sexy in an in your face kind of way.
    As Incense Oud matures on skin the progression is towards a somewhat sourish (almost fermented) rose note (faint echoes of Lyric woman) bolstered with soft spices, of which cardamom is the most prominent with its milk-chai-and-soap familiarity. The incense fades ever so gradually over the hours as this somewhat turned rose accord takes its place at the core of this creation. The oud is here only in name – for shame.

Prelude to love ...invitation by By Kilian

A just-washed, ready-to-face-the-day kind of creation – Turin was right to call it a ‘morning cologne’. Energizing citrus – lovely green toned bergamot and lemon peel to the fore, followed by dabs of neroli – it feels and stays natural which is an accomplishment in this category. A short while in, the iris surfaces but it remains a gentle presence, not weighing down the light mood. Wide eyed and innocent, Prelude to Love must remain just a prelude to the rather risky business of love itself. Nice work and a perfume well-suited to the office environment.

srschirm's avatar
    srschirm

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Citrico by Comme des Garçons

This reminds me of Acqua di Parma. It's a solid addition to your collection. It's fun putting the Citrico on one arm, and the Acqua di Parma on the other just to compare.