Fragrance Reviews from March 2013

jimstoic's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

This is my favorite daytime scent. I cant describe it better than Buysblind, so I won't try.

mspa's avatar

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

surprized nobody among the recent reviwers mentiones civet... the great thing about this scent. such pronounced civet i have only encountered in ungaro ii. gigli can not even stand against a healthy bottle of the latter, but the scent is worth attention. surely it is not a piece of art like most malle or lutens, levels below, still a good masculine scent. the juice is green... very much kiwi with civet

nfn1983's avatar

Iran Iran

Aramis Bermuda Tonic by Aramis

At first I didn't expect so much of it, but the scent really grew on me after just 2 days of wearing!
    Largely different from bunch of other aquatics and has a very smooth warm note too!
    Love the earthy vibe like wettened stony pavements by rain.
    Surprised me by its respectable longevity, competing with many dark and warm scents in it!
    All over, a real thumbs up!

Beloved by Amouage

this smells like extrait concentration,
    starts very beautifully with unusual combination of rose-jasmine and some aromatic herbs,giving the vibe of old classics, complexity...
    but after 20 minutes all the floral part of this scent is gone, this is heavy resinous musky spicy combination that is refined by some olibanum note, the overall experience is very synthetic, very harsh to my nose in the long run, but can make one blind in the first 3 hours....its like sirene call :) with huge musk!!

Reflection Woman by Amouage

thumbs up for vintage version from the mosque bottle, its much better then mens Reflction that is utterly boring composition with beautiful ingredients though...no synthetic feel to it,

Vintage Reflection is green fruity violet, it starts creamy , reminded me of Bois de Violette in its emotion , very soon it goes away from violets and becomes watery ozonic fruity scent (some watermelon?), but very natural smelling, almost like Ellena Jardins creations....with nicer ingredients, this can be nice summer scent but

as with many amouages i expect the new batch is not worth owning at all

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

this is vegetal iris, nothing powdery, very earthy

Iris is special type of flower: it is almost genderless,yet holds elegancy and luxury nothing can compare to and here the natural vibe of it is preserved together with great perfume performances, it is styled up, perfect summer type of scent, or when you seek pure simplicity and elegance

this is like richer and perfumed up version of Chanels 28 La Pausa , where iris is more natural, raw, and spiced up by pepper, Iris Silver mist is thicker and maybe a touch more feminine , light grey to white colour

Tripfall's avatar

Quasar by J del Pozo

Basically, sage and laundry detergent. A thoroughly generic fresh scent.

Tubereuse 1 La Capricieuse by Histoires de Parfums

i like this house, makes very decent scents that smell at least half part of the time natural, and high quality, in the drydown though they can dissapoint by showing their thin "snythetic" side...

the opening here is gorgeous vegetale iris, the one people would call "make up" iris like in Diore homme , but clean and obvious as single note, perfumed up by some violets, that mimick tuberose, there is very little of exotic feel of tuberose, but still makes it nice, exotic iris scent....in a way Ramon Monegal Impossible iris went, but more thick and rich and not fruity but velvety

it dances on the verge of going powdery, the colour is dry thick white

Gowaduv's avatar

Graphite by Montana

I really wanted to like this, and I do, but I'm not in love with it. The first time I sprayed it, all I smelled was turmeric (yes, the spice) and I wanted a curry. I think I was drawn to that odor as I couldn't quite place it, then I read Marais's review and realized that graphite does smell like a fresh box of pencils. It's a pleasant scent, but not something that I would wear on a first date. At the same time it's inoffensive enough that I wear two or three sprays to the office.

Claire811's avatar

Quizás, Quizás, Quizás by Loewe

I've tried the EDT and I like it very much. I am a floral scents fan and this is very nice, gentle, elegant, feminine, perfect for spring and summer. This one will be my next purchase for spring.

mtheory8's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

The fact is, this is VERY similar to A*Men.

I had this for a while and really loved it, and I recently got a sample of A*Men. Sprayed it on, and thought: This smells more like AA than I thought, and for 3x the price.

Some people may say AA smells dated or cheap or whatever, but honestly, I think for most people, if the two were put side by side, and people did not have a preconceived notion of the price difference, no one will point to one and say "oh yea, that smells cheaper than the other", and honestly, I don't think most people will even think A*Men smells better.

Bottom line is, they smell very similar, AA doesn't have that disgusting tar note at the top that made me gag a little with A*Men. A*Men dries down beautifully, as does AA. They are slightly different, but I don't think one is "better" than the other. The difference between the two is purely personal preferences and not difference in quality, IMO. If you can try both, try them with an open mind. If you can't try both and is price conscience, then just get AA because you and most other people can't tell the difference anyways.

Skelly's avatar

Dark Aoud by Montale

Montale's Dark Aoud. Worn by Barbary Corsairs after a hard day boarding galleons with knives clenched between their teeth. It's Bluebeard's signature fragrance, and Beelzebub uses it as air freshener.

You should buy a sample. Just because. I can't think of many occasions when I'd actually wear it, and it scares all the other little bottles. But I'm glad it's there. Just in case.

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

Exhale by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

(Review based on a sample decanted from the original B Never 2 Busy 2 Be Beautiful version.)

Instantly smoky and smoldering (vetiver, I assume) in a non-sensual way. Rather it is very familiar and comforting. There is also a slightly sweet underlayment of literal tobacco, maybe, and a hint of leather? Neither note is named.

I am reminded immediately of an old field office my Grandfather worked from, basically a glorified old, wooden shed. I don’t think he smoked, but maybe his business partner did. So, these early stages are an old, slightly dusty sun-warmed shed in which someone has smoked a tobacco pipe daily for 20 years. Slight cedar undertones and amber slowly begin to emerge, with a bit more sandalwood incense, the notes swirling and shifting. It doesn’t change a lot from here on out, nor do I want it to. And throughout, I still want to class this as tobacco...

I sought this out based on my love for Gorilla’s Breath of God, in which, as everyone seems to know, Exhale supplies the smoky vetiver structure. My love for Breath of God is unshakable, but this surpasses it. To be honest, I can’t disentangle Exhale, as I am experiencing it, from Breath of God, beyond the smoky incense both share. “Incense” may appropriately describe aspects of both, but they are very different types of incense. Perhaps most surprising is that I don’t get amber or sandalwood notes in Breath of God at all. Also, Exhale is very warm, where I find Breath of God to be cool (but never cold).

There is no way I could rate this anything other than thumbs-up. The scent is a stunning, intoxicating, reverie inducing thing of wonder. Projection and silliage are decent-to-low. Longevity is average. Fortunately, reapplication shouldn’t be a problem as the Lush/Gorilla oil is so inexpensive (this, of course, assumes that it is ever restocked online).

Interestingly, while sniffing myself for this, I encountered a bit of Montale’s Dark Aoud, which I sampled yesterday (and which apparently persisted through many hours and a shower). They are not similar in the least, but are oddly complimentary. I might attempt to layer them one day. Hope that isn’t heretical...

PCC1960's avatar

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Pure class. Tiffany for Men starts off a little ssweet for my taste, but immediately starts to morph into a very sophisticated blend. Its basenotes are clean and sext. Sillage is almost perfect... if you are in my personal space (within 18 inches, pehaps), you definitiely smell TFM. Acress the conference table you won't smell me. Longevity? I applied in the morning after my shower. I can still smell it the next morning. Timeless. Classic.

mmmm's avatar

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Like everyone can agree, its almost an ADG clone, but without that light airy linger that sometimes gives me headaches. This one keeps the base of the ADG but smooths it out with a sweetish spice scent. Lasts quite awhile and projects almost offensively if over applied. Younger women like it a lot, and most will call you out for ADG. I prefer this over ADG and highly suggest anyone who wants to try either to pick this one up first because of its extreme similarity and easy price

Tripfall's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

I suppose what qualifies a cologne as old school is the olfactory equivalent of gravitas. This one has it in spades thanks to the amber-incense combo in the base, slightly dirtied up by the musk. It's clean and soapy without being ingratiating. It doesn't require a suit to go with it, just good grooming and reticent self-confidence.

odysseusm's avatar

Love by MCMC Fragrances

I disagree with the designation "feminine". This is quite unisex in style -- it is dry, very little florals, and quite brisk.
    I like it.
    It starts with a very green citrus note, courtesy of the yuzu. There are very pleasant herbal notes of basil which tend towards the anise side of the leaf. I don't get much in the way of floral notes, that's ok with me. I'm not sure what templewood is, perhaps there's a bit of an incense note here. Finally, there definitely is a mineral-dry stones note which is really intriguing. I assume that is the gunpowder.
    A very successful and interesting green scent. Wears well, I find it both low-key yet assertive -- and certainly distinctive.

patsavouta's avatar

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

loved the original Insensé so didnt real follow the ultramarine version those days, just reown it recently though to retry it, and quite woo: the top notes sounds a lot chemical and plastic, there was a 'plasticness' in the original but it was different , this one feels like weird somehow but of course not really bad, though really synthetic and heavy enough in a way! at least it dries out quite responsible i even feel an elegant breeze on my clothes even the next day of use... Voting for the original all the way tho! but supporting this while its the only product involved with the original :)

01st March, 2013 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2013)

patsavouta's avatar

Lalique White by Lalique

first top notes appear really wellcoming, so fresh and clean, makes a good scenery.. the dry down of base notes after about 5 mins reminds me a lot of versus by versace : a true feel of a real lemon lime, (which never figured out myself if it's acceptable or not while a lot of cheap lemony perfumes that exists on supermarkets never worked) filled though with a peppery character involving with your skin and turns out to be a classic perfume feel of something really smart and light flavoured clean essence ; quite nice white bottle (you cannot see how much is left :() '.. all in all a good fresh summery perfume that starts with a playfull character and ends as a more mature kind of manscent, nice work lalique :)

01st March, 2013 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2014)

Touch for Men by Burberry

Powdery floral, but masculine. The musk and oakmoss balances the floral.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I really like this one. It smells like Christmas...Evergreen tree, spices, There is no pine listed but it does smell like it. Trouble is, like others have noted, there is little longevity.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Smells like...department store. The blend of powder scent and some florals, nothing special at all. longevity is poor. I give it neutral b/c it is safe.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Citrus and pepper, a nice fragrance but nothing stands out as special.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

The mango and Mellon notes make it stand above most generic department store fragrances. The spices add a nice touch. I think ti's is every bit as good as some of the Creeds I have smelled.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Did they reformulate this? I tried it again after 25 years and It smells different. The original was much better...maybe the tester was bad, no one else seems to be complaining...

Versace Man by Versace

I love Pour Homme, and this is nearly as good. THe blend of citrus and tobacco is wonderful It has a sweet note too...probably the cardamom. Reminds me a tiny bit like YSL L'Homme Libre.

Black by Kenneth Cole

I like the warm spices and citrus I agree with someone else who questioned the name. Black? really? It rises above the generic masses in department stores.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

LOL, it is a children's fragrance. It has been around since Noah and the Ark. It is too sweet for my taste...everyone has smelled this as some time or other. Usually while smelling farenheit, Eternity, and Obsession for men.

Vince Camuto for Men by Vince Camuto

Starts out with a very sharp black pepper note. Leather and wood come out next. I keep getting a sharp smell like Iso E Super or maybe it's just the pepper.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I just can't get past the gasoline/petrol note. It smells like I was pumping gasoline and spilled it on my hands. Dry down is a little better.