Fragrance Reviews from April 2013

Swanky's avatar

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Bulgari Man comes in very nice clothing, almost formal and classy, a black tie kind of bottle. The name of the fragrance, like so many others these days, especially in the designer realm, is dull but unpretentious.

The fragrance has a subtle woody-floral construction in the style of Guerlain Homme and ST Dupont and Cartier's Declaration. It starts with a mild bergamot and is shortly joined by a muted violet leaf aroma. Many masculines today use violet leaf lazily and harshly, but Man uses it judiciously to add depth to a somewhat transparent recipe.Vetiver, sandalwood and musk round out the team. Unspectacular, but solidly done. This makes a fine choice for those occasions where discretion is the better part of valor: weddings, funerals, work, church and job interviews.

Mysticman's avatar

Eroica by Kanebo

To my nose this is almost identical to Tabac Original by Maurer and Wirtz, but a little lighter and not as long-lasting. Nicely blended, mostly natural ingredients, but too close an imitation to deserve a higher rating --- especially since the original ( a classic of men's fragrance) --- is relatively inexpensive and readily available.

Giacinto by Borsari

Gadzooks this is excellent. I'm not normally a fan of florals but this old-school scent is superb.
    The juice is golden, perhaps it has the patina of age like fine brandy... so be it.
    This is a dark, hauntingly beautiful floral. Earthy, deep but not not too sweet nor cloying.
    Wears very well. Guys could easily wear it and rock the floral note.

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Great old scent that is rather linear.

Sure it does not mature, have a varied nuance or "evolve" but it reminds you of what "old school" scent is all about.

I pair it with Agua Lavanda body wash and I smell like I just stepped out of a great old barbershop.

Smells the same as it did back in the 70's when I was a child.

Legend Of Elvis's avatar

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

In My opinion this is the best fragrance in the world, Sexy, sophisticated, a true gentleman scent. I have about six bottles of this fragrance I first bought this in the eighties, Alain Delon is a famous french actor and brought out his own line of men and women fragrance, this is the most unique scent I've ever worn and people are always asking me what it is as it drives women crazy, sadly discontinued now but can still be found on Ebay, Mr Delon please bring it back

KarenH's avatar

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

I got a sample of this and it was . . . interesting . . . different. Powder hit me right in the face right off the bat, along with something sort of almost musky. It was good for about an hour. After that, something happened, a scent I really can't describe came out. And wouldn't you know, the longevity was high, and stayed on so so long. I wanted to like this because it was so different, so unusual, so unique, but once it mixed with my body chemistry, I just wanted it off.

Darvant's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

Yes, no doubts about, this fragrance is genius although it doesn't project a so tenacious longevity on my skin. L'Antimatiere is one of the weirdest fragrances ever tested by me and (i absolutely agree with the Foetidus's definition) an abstract concoction tossing at once out metallic/soapy, fresh/warm, modern/vintage, bright/mysterious nuances. It reminds me those weird clean (and nowhere to be discerned) aromas you can detect around inside some hotel rooms, a smell of toilette, detergents, soaps, powder, artisanal soap tablets, "fragrant towels and bedclothes" and woody fornitures. The beginning is soon compelling with its boozy/alcoholic blast a bit empty but immediately seasoned, spicy and ambery (i start by soon to catch the ambergris), evolving in a while (a really short while, as for a sleight of hand) towards a more complex, well rounded, soapy/musky and intimate aroma, something perfuming about, yes, cleaned skin, floral ambiental deodorants, laundry, wall paper, naphthalene, modern fornitures, soapy/neutral bath foams and room cleaner. The "intimate soapy effect" is produced by the interaction between musk and secret animalic elements, may be honey, may be wax, may be something just God knows about and the ambergris is finally present with its dry but "intimate" vibe so carnal and warm. This aroma is really unusual cause (this is absolutely true) it seems to odour but not to be properly perfumed as an ordinary fragrance, it reminds me more than vaguely the aroma produced, after the contact with the arm-pit skin, by the neutral odour-neutralising foams, this is more a skin aroma than a perfume. Fragrances a bit jumping to mind for some of their aspects? Well, a bit Iperborea Villoresi, a touch of Phul-Nana Grossmith, Cuir the Russie by Piver, Comme des Garcons 2Man, Equipage Hermes, Amouage Gold Man and (don get me wrong) also some Petroleum's nuances. An highly experimental but outstanding fragrance introducing in the universe of perfumery an almost unique "unmatereal" olfactory concept of unscented fragrance becoming a whole one with our chemistry.

KarenH's avatar

Sauvignonne by Ginestet

I love this. Plain and simply love it. It's light, mildly sweet without being cloying, and I don't smell anything boozy or "winey" about it -- just a light, clean, mildly citrusy fresh scent that stays. I wore a sample of it for about three days and never tired of it, and have since ordered it. I have found my summer scent with this one.

onaluna's avatar

Lys by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

I was so attracted to the cedar and coriander in this ... at first. But it wore poorly, with clashing, cheap smelling notes.

scentreview's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Unfortunately, many of the Guerlains are no-go's for me simply because carnation doesn't play nicely with my skin chemistry. On me, L'Heure Bleue turns into a flourescent carnation screech within mere minutes. It becomes bright and synthetic, suffocating.

My dog won't stay in the room when I test this one. A discriminating nose, to be sure.

Mitsouko works better for me, as does Apres L'Ondees. Forget Shalimar or L'Heure Bleue.

Dmotron's avatar

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

It's not as hard to wear like Duro is but can be challenging. I find the sweetness added in this very nice with that forresty feel. I does have that little stinky smell to it but only if you get up on it. iDistance away it smells good. I like this one but I would ne in the mood for this...its also medicinal.

hedonist222's avatar

Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince

An epic failure.
    Its an anti-Bertrand perfume.

Its a mess.
    Absolutely no complexity. Muddled.
    No smooth rendition between notes & accords.
    Reminds me of when I get stuck in sand when I go off roading. Agonizing.
    Complexity is not an opinion, nor is harmony of transition between top, middle and base. Not all perfumes are intended to be complex, nor should they be. But it's clear when Enchanted Forest was intended to be complex but failed miserably. Then there's the muddled transition.

Don't get me wrong. I love B. Duchafour. Heck I own 15 of his creations.

But iit's like a mangled walrus freeing itself from quicksand. It's not a graceful sight.

sherif sayed's avatar

1881 by Cerruti

I love this fragrance much a favorite for between men's fragrances, classic and elegant and good persistence on clothing.

Airborne by Comme des Garçons

I'm not much of a note discoverer, smelling top, middle and basenotes. But I do know when I have smelled a scent before. This opens close to CDG Monocle Scent 2: Laurel and dries down to something that is really close if not completely similar to Kenzo Air. For me, not worth the price tag.

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 1 by Comme des Garçons

Opening is very floral. I don't smell all the weirdness some other people smell. Then very slowly dries down to something similar to Kenzo L'eau Indigo for Him. Maybe it was revolutionary at the time but I don't get it unfortunately. And I am a huge CdG fan, so if any bias it should be in the positive direction.

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

Tried this last Saturday. Very interesting scent that seems to go very feminine in the dry drown. But like some of the others here, I keep smelling it back and sometimes I'm like "mmmmm, this is very nice" and five minutes later I feel like this is very empty and I don't want to smell this way. But I keep going back to give it a sniff, only therefore I am giving it a thumbs up. In a real limbo on this one.

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

This smells very synthetic but very very fresh. I don't smell all the nasty shizzle that is mentioned in the notes, like burnt rubber and such. For me this is super original and very wearable at the same time. Also the first fragrance that has given me so many compliments from the female sex.Has been my summer leisure fragrance for the past two summer's and will remain so for a couple more.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

This is Odeur 53 with a dash of incense to it. Makes me think a little of church, but not in a bad way and definitely not as much as CdG Avignon. For me this, this is the winter version of Odeur 53 (although I know friends wearing this for their summer fragrance). Very fresh yet warming. Might take some wearing time for some to fully appreciate the fragrance.

Sticky Threads's avatar

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

About 30 seconds in this turns into something akin to a blurred version of the drydown of Pamplelune and stays like that until it fades completely, approximately one hour after application. Any other notes are barely apparent. Disappointing.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

Smelled this yesterday at El Corte Ingles in Madrid. Nice smell. Reminds me of Armani White He (unfortunately discontinued) with a hint of tobacco. Also thought this was a unisex scent. Nice but disgustingly overpriced, starting at 150 euro a bottle. Smells too much designer for that and not special enough. Therefore a neutral.

Odal1sque's avatar

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

For me this doesn't have the same effect as traditional French perfumery, which enhances bodily smells; it cancels them out. If you're a big fan of musky, leathery, and animalic notes DKNY Women is unlikely to win you over. It has a place in my fragrance wardrobe for the days I feel too queasy to wear fragrance.

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

TOMO fresh by Annayaké

Extremely close to the original. But more fresh so I'd say great job!

Odal1sque's avatar

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Having lived through the 80s and having my senses assaulted by big 80s perfumes, I can understand how refreshing and groundbreaking this was when released. For me the quality of the ingredients make it unwearable. The top notes make my eyes water, the middle notes are pleasant enough, however the drydown is so sickeningly sweet I can't wait to scrub it off. For me the test of a good fragrance is when I'm still enjoying it 8 hours in and this one doesn't pass that test. Inventive it was; other fragrances have done the tea accord with better quality ingredients since.

Vetiver by Borsari

These scents are all old and in minis. Some, like this one, may be a past their prime. This vetiver is rootsy, woody -- typical of vetiver. It also has a slightly sour, toasted-nut note which may be the result of age. I'm sure it was excellent in the day.

Glicine by Borsari

Glicine = wisteria.
    Wisteria is a heady, sweet flower. This scent is a sweet floral, but not cloying. Beautiful, with spicy notes, a bit of a mint-like freshness and a soapy-apricot roundness.

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

Full Incense by Montale

Yes, it is Full Incense for the long haul, but that is not to say it lacks variation. It goes on as a lightly smoked, austere (but not aloof) frankincense-plus-cedar. Where some have said it is dark, my experience is of dappled light, as in a forest infused with incense from an adjacent church. No doubt forest imagery is suggested by cedar, but there is also airiness and movement, rather than a stationary density. The cedar slowly undulates throughout. Sometimes I think it has gone, but it reappears. In its heart, this is name-appropriate "full incense" consisting of frankincense, spices, a resinous ambery note, steadily increasing, sharp and lovely patchouli; cedar, and not much suggestion of smoke. In its final stages as a skin scent, the composition becomes sharper still, in the way of dry woods and patchouli. Regrettably, this is my favorite phase, and I wish I could have had more of this up front, projecting. Comparisons to Avignon, which I like quite a bit, are merited, but I think Full Incense is better put together, more convincing, sweeter, and less synthetic in effect. As for longevity, silage, and projection, Full Incense performs as expected for a Montale item, even though it is not as monstrous as certain of its Aoud brethren.

Sticky Threads's avatar

Jersey by Chanel

I don't get it. How can a house responsible for such beauty as 31 Rue Cambon, Bois des Iles and Sycomore produce this. Bland.

Marais's avatar

Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A delicate flower, this. It goes on with something of a sweet, floral blast ('oops' territory); as time progresses, the spicier characteristics of the carnation (here, mainly pepper) come to the fore - never reaching a nose-irritative level, however. The woody violet far drydown reminds me of Arsene Lupin Dandy.
    'Vitriol' wears close to the skin; I found it very long-lasting, although mostly as a skin scent. It is quite ethereal and I think it would be difficult to over apply (most un-Lutensesque!). In fact, I think this is light enough to be warm-weather friendly. For a heavier carnation, the Comme des Garçons one is pretty good; albeit much more clovey than this.
    Thumb weakly up; I like the realistic carnation scent, but it lacks power.

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

it opens up with that characteristic aldehydic hair-spray kind of smell, it ruins it completely for me :) smells terribly synthetic...BUT....

in the drydwon it turns into lovely honeyed fruity floral bouquet, where i do recognize the seeds for Dia , Amouage.

Still i somehow like this one better, becasue it doesnt smell so clean, so fresh, jasmine is warming it up!...its very gentle, longlasting, and feminine scent!

Its very old school type of scent by complexity (reminds me a bit of Chamade too), suitable for the theater.

phi's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

New York Amber by Bond No. 9

I'm blown away, spectacular fragrance by Bond, nothing new to say that hasn't been said already