Fragrance Reviews from July 2013

conkhi's avatar

Daddy Yankee by Daddy Yankee

similar to micheal jordan legend/ rocobarocco extraorinary but weaker

For the 15.00 it seems ok but there are better in that price range like michael jordan legend and rocobarocco extraordinary. Spicy and very close to the skin but nothing special to my nose and fades very quickly.

anubisnut's avatar

Cherry Blossom Lovely - Gold Sparkles by Guerlain

Summer favorite

The perfume is clear pink with gold sparkles. This is probably my favorite scent for summer and any time I don't want myself to overwhelm other but want to stand out. I've gotten so many compliments from wearing this perfume. I think its one of the few perfumes that work well with my skin. It's got a nice musky after scent and a unique sweet top scent. I'm not a good at describing the perfume, sorry. I just know I like it and I'm always sad that it's one of those limited edition perfumes. I also have the body powder version of the perfume which I can't find anywhere online now, so I use it super sparingly.

Pros: Light
    Cons: limited edition, hard to find

jbordeau's avatar

Fougères Marines by Montale

Yes, it's kind of Tommy, kind of Baldessarini, boldly unoriginal

I sort of like the way this fragrance smells, but it's rather strong in an uninviting way. Harshness is not the way to get my attention. After a while I realized it has much of the base of Baldessarini but without the fruit that makes that one delicious. It has the tenacity of Tommy and all its charm (or lack thereof). I feel I've smelled this already a hundred times on every kind of man. At this price point, the lack of anything interesting is criminal. I love the bottle though; not to be commended otherwise.

Pros: smells pretty good
    Cons: fairly nondescript for this premium price

PhillipLee's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

Nothing special everyday scent

Tried it at sephora and i've got to say that the tester smelt better than the one I bought from them. Top notes were a bit harsh and the fragrance got irritating after a while (to me at least), also had a roommate who owned the same bottle so I got tired of the smell pretty quick.

Pros: Fresh everyday scent
    Cons: harsh top notes

PhillipLee's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Old timey scent

Top notes smelt like lavender and spices, wasn't really a fan of the smell as it was a bit too spicy for me, also felt it tailored more for a more mature crowd.

Mixed well with 1 Million , but Its just a scent I can't personally pull off.

I would recommend getting a sample first , but wouldn't rule it out to any potential buyers.

Pros: Great longevity and projection
    Cons: powerful top notes

Bal a Versailles's avatar

Truth or Dare by Madonna

Take a Bow

Truth or Dare is better than I expected, much better. It has grown on me. Today I wore Fracas solid perfume (very subtle) behind the ears and on the wrist. If I were to apply Truth or Dare I would spray the small of my back only. I like the sparkling orange blossom in Truth or Dare. I guess that's the gardenia vying with the tuberose, the jasmine vying with the musk. And I like the bottle, it reminds me of the strings of milk glass beads, (Trifari, I think) bracelets and necklaces in my drawers that need restringing. I have tried this fragrance several times and dismissed it as being a Fracas imposter, but today with a direct comparison to Fracas I noticed the nuances and the sparkle and have reviewed accordingly.

Pros: You deserve an award for the role that you played
    Cons: This masquerade is getting older

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

A Unique Interpretation of a Tropical Oasis

I think this is a beautiful, unique, and polarizing aquatic fragrance. Not surprised that the reviews are very hot or cold. The aroma is very innovative, much in the same way that Kenzo Pour Homme was innovative in creating a distinctly literal interpretation of the sea, ocean, and coastline. I find this one to be more of a tropical, hidden oasis, not necessarily beachy or brilliant, but lush with tropical flowers & fruits, refreshing water and something woody. I've never seen such a place, but that's where I'm transported. The woody vibe is probably where people get turned off - its the most lasting effect of the scent and it is paired with florals, which can be less interesting for modern men. Add to that the scent seems quite fleeting and you have a composition primed to disappoint the masses.

But I actually find that its the sillage or projection that drops off, not the longevity, such that this is an appropriate smell for all occasions. But amongst the younger crowd, who want something loud and prominent, this will surely disappoint. But if you're looking for something different, summer/spring appropriate, that is classy, work safe and reasonably long-lasting (7hrs+), give this one a try. I give it 8/10.

Pros: uniqueness, cost, persistence, versatility
    Cons: projection (below average), aquatics aren't for everyone,

AntonPan's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

The Game by Davidoff

For laundry smell lovers

Davidoff The Game is a weird mix of a laundry detergent (the opening) and modern masculine "1 million" molecules (the base). Actually that's the most chemical detergent smell of a fragrance that I ever smelled. Though it's not so bad, it is wearable, mild, for those, who seek for a lighter version of Paco Rabanne 1 Million and by the way love the smell of clean clothes.

Eugene Tooms's avatar

Arabian Amber by Illuminum

One of the better Illuminums

I was lucky enough to visit the Illuminum store in London for a full sampling of all their range last year. This fragrance line is the concept of Michael Boadi, and he's made some specific and rather odd decisions about the construction of each fragrance, e.g. limiting himself to (supposedly) eight ingredients per fragrance. Whilst this gives most of his scents an admirable simplicity, it also seems a little arbitrary: why eight?

The scent line is also very heavily focused on celebrity marketing, another thing which makes me suspicious. We have, I'm sure, all heard the stories that Kate Middleton wore Illuminum's White Gardenia Petals on her wedding day. Piper Leather (the best Illuminum fragrance by far, in my opinion) is allegedly worn by Leonardo DiCaprio, and Arabian Amber is worn by James Franco. Why focus so strongly on alleged links to celebrities? I know that movie stars have promoted perfumes for time immemorial, but there is no official brand association here, just allusions that certain people might be wearing this or that. Why not just let the scent speak for itself?

Anyway, onto Arabian Amber. There are some frankly awful scents in the Illuminum line, but the two stand-outs for me are the aforementioned Piper Leather, and Arabian Amber. It's a woodsy fragrance with a strong middle eastern connection. The top note is bergamot but I don't get a lot of that; instead, the first projection is a resinous woody cedar and incense, with a musky patchouli a little way down in the mix, and you can really pick up the opponax. It's warm, striking and a little smoky, definitely more of an evening or winter scent than a fresh summer number. Projection is good and it lasts fairly well - I can still smell it on my wrist 5-6 hours later.

The scents in this line can be expensive but search around and you can find them much cheaper; I got a 100ml bottle for £45, considerably less than the £100 RRP. Swing by the shop on Dover Street, just north of Piccadilly, and try it out.

Pros: Good longevity and projection
    Cons: Illuminum concept starting to wear thin

Eugene Tooms's avatar

Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Terrific scent, beautifully balanced

This is the first really expensive niche fragrance that I've owned. At £195 for 70ml (from Liberty department store in London), you don't want to be blind buying this - I tried it in the store then went and had a meal nearby before deciding to go back and purchase. My skin chemistry works really well with it (I've heard that it turns on some unfortunate souls) and it is deliciously complex and masculine.

I own a couple of other oud scents; oddly, this one doesn't knock you on the head with oud (despite the fact that the fragrance is called "oud"!), but for me, that's a good thing. I know people who have bought fragrances where oud is the dominant note and you know what? They smell like sweaty dung. In their heads they've conjured up an image of this recent phenomenon of the world of scent as the "must have" part of their scent wardrobe and have basically over-ridden what their own senses are telling them. "I smell like the rear end of a warthog".

Thankfully, as I said, Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian uses this now slightly clichéd note as a caress, an enticement, not a sledgehammer. It's beautifully constructed with a dark, inviting complexity that dries down with a smoky leatheriness, allowing the oud note to spiral around it and send out "come hither" signals. The oud is apparently real, rather than synthetic, and comes from Laos. It's refined and elegant.

Projection is great, and longevity matches it, with one spray being perfectly sufficient to last all day, which offsets the high cost somewhat. I own around 20 fragrances and this one is currently sitting at the top of my list - I will wear it on special occasions, or when I want to impress, and probably always with a suit. It's definitely not a casual fragrance. So there it is - a masterpiece. Definitely try before you buy, but if you're lucky enough to be able to wear this, add it to your collection at once.

Pros: Exquisitely complex, great projection and longevity
    Cons: Price!

fleurie's avatar

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

A discreet spicy scent of the 80s

One of my first and still a favourite. Not overwhelming, not too sweet, nor pretentious. A nice and whispy lemony zing with geraniums, sage and amber somewhere in the details. The spicy nutmeg tone is what lingers the most. Wish they promoted the sage a bit more. Overall, something I wear just for myself and not to attract any bees.

Pros: Love the nutmeg and bergamot
    Cons: Shame it doesn't have a lasting effect

pookerella's avatar

Vanille Citrus by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Delicious creamy

It's funny: I absolutely hated this perfume 6 years ago, but I love it now! Just luscious, creamy vanilla and an orange-y lemon-y note is secondary to the vanilla -- or does it just temper it? Whatever it is it's a gourmand fragrance and it's yummy. Doesn't last too long which is the downside, but it's very lovely! Worth a second spray.

Pros: Creamy vanilla with a soft citrus note, kinda like a Creamsicle! :)
    Cons: Doesn't last very long.

lairdangus's avatar

Opus VI by Amouage

Amouage Opus VI

We all know how personal this hobby is. One man's olfactory nirvana is another's Gehenna. And when we find "THAT SCENT," the one the electrifies our cells, our memories, our libidos, our spirits...it can be an almost indescribably powerful experience.

And so it was for me with Amouage's Opus VI. This is my scent. This is me. This is who I am, who I want to be, the best version of myself. I am a midwestern boy, a middle class son of a lawyer, a worried and struggling father and husband...and yet I am so much more than this. Opus VI is the proof! In it, I am a man of the world, with connections in Dubai, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, and Copenhagen. My reach is global, my potential limitless. I have power and wealth. But I am simple at heart--I keep my faith in God, and I long for the innocent austerity of my youth.

Yes, this is what Opus VI is for me. The rich, animalic Amber is my soul. The soft vanilla is my feelings for my wife and children. The pepper and spice are my aggression and competitiveness at work. The incense is my relationship with God. The patchouli is my constant dreaming of the future. The bay is my love of good conversation.

I tend to loathe reviews like this one--overly personal, emotional, florid. But now, at least, I understand them.

------------------------------------------EDIT:

In my original review, I got so caught up in the experience of Opus VI that I violated one of my own cardinal rules: ALWAYS DESCRIBE THE SCENT!

Opening: Magnificent! Incense, labdanum, spice, benzoin or ambergris. A plush palace lined with old tapestries and priceless carpets.

Middle: My God, it is actually getting even better! Now the true amber/labdanum scent emerges, merging perfectly with the incense. It is unlike any other amber I have ever experienced--authentic, rich, animalic. The spice notes are still there, but they are changing. It is the pepper! Delicious, warm. Vanilla is in this, too--I swear it.

Dry Down: This is where Opus VI reveals itself as a true masterpiece. Patchouli, Vanilla, Amber, Labdanum, Spice, a bit of Sandalwood, and an unidentifiable (to my nose anyway) flower. This is the scent of a man of honor, achievement, and rich experience.

The brilliant and almost-never-wrong Kafkaesque did not appreciate Opus IV, owing mainly to what she described as a "goatish labdanum." I can't say that I detect any hircinous notes, but if they are there, then I say "bravo!" The ancient method of collecting labdanum was to sheer the beards, legs, and undercarriages of goats who trod amongst it. In fact, the false beards of the ancient Pharaohs were said to be made of the finest goat-hair, doused in natural labdanum.

Part of the appeal of this sense is is its deep, earnest respect for tradition. Amouage has been careful not to allow itself to be pigeonholed as an "Arab perfume maker." This may be the most straightforwardly "Arab" fragrance they have yet produced...and I love them for it. If this is a scent built around integrity and reverence for tradition, then why shouldn't it include the authentic animalic notes that have always been a part of labdanum, at least until the advent of the chemical age?

Look, let me put it this way: I am someone who is never satisfied. Even if the perfect situation falls into my lap, I find fault with it, pick it apart, and am perfectly capable of convincing myself to walk way. I have tried to do this with Opus VI to no avail.

The numbers:

Scent: 5/5
    Sillage: 5/5
    It is not a Montale-like sillage, invading every nook and cranny of the room, but it wafts gently around you throughout the day.
    Longevity: 5/5
    10 hours of good projection on my skin, and it lingers until aggressively washed off in the shower.

Pros: the perfect middle eastern scent, with a modern sensibility
    Cons: not yet available as a permanent implant

English Fern by Penhaligon's

The rich man's Brut by Faberge

Sharp and natural smelling ferns and limes and lemons (read: citrus). Not my favorite by this house, but a good warm weather choice. Total barbershop, to be sure. Similar to Brut, I have decided.

colormechris's avatar

Fan di Fendi pour Homme by Fendi

Uomo Revisited

Well, it seems Fendi has overhauled it's original man's scent with a softer sillage and a much nicer bottle. Which is exactly what I thought they should do. And they seem to have done it well. But since I have a full bottle of the original, I will probably never have to buy this.

Nautica Competition (original) by Nautica

Creative and lasting well

The apple and mint combine nicely with the bergamot, and vetiver later on, but in the drydown this is on my skin an amber-oakmoss scent, with some a touch of saltiness and some residual freshness remaining. This is a creative and quite unusual fragrance. The whole thing is done very well and beautifully blended. Very good silage and projection, with an excellent longevity of nearly seven hours.

Bal a Versailles's avatar

Soir d'Orient by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Time to stock up

Ambre Dore, released in the west 2012 is Soir d'Orient.

From Fragrantica:

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Doré launched for the US & European market June 2012, was initially launched in 2006 exclusively for the Eastern market, as Soir D'Orient, but the current trend of oud in western perfumery has finally made way for MPG to launch Ambre Dore to the west as well as part of the collection "Les Accords Mystères". Fini.

Definitely unisex at the opening the oud is dominant, with hints, to my nose, of sour tamarind, defintely medicinal, as already covered. Thereafter in its mature phase the fragrance veers towards the feminine. MPG does not get enough love. The only thing that heightened appeal for Soir D'Orient was its scarcity. It has been ignored as Ambre Dore. I would put it up against Arabian Wood by Tom Ford anyday. Same strategy, marketed exclusively to Prince Ali Khan by spin doctors with degrees in advanced elephant washing.

Your loss, my gain, I've stocked up.

Pros: Belly dancers come to mind
    Cons: Notta one

RohitKapoor's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

woody fragrance

i have bought this perfume recently from http://buyperfumesonline.in/ and its very nice.

RohitKapoor's avatar

cK be by Calvin Klein

Awesome Fragrance

I bought this perfume from http://buyperfumesonline.in/ Its really Awesome...

Pros: Great
    Cons: no negative comments

sierra 18's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Soft comfort in exquisite style.

My first Frapin fragrance I ever bought, which led me to acquire quite a few more by this maker of delightful, comforting scent. Most of what you read in these comments is, in my opinion, accurate. This is a boozy, rum-scented creation which is the olfactory equivalent of being wrapped in a very soft, very comfortable Frette cashmere blanket.

Once the initial rum fades, a very pleasant dry-down of vanilla and dried fruit remains, enveloping you in soft comfort that is never overwhelming or cloying. Just one of the most amazing fragrances I have experienced, from start to finish. I often treat myself by putting it on before work. Since my work involves wearing a uniform, my civilian clothes hang for 11 hours on my locker. After shift and a shower, changing into my going-home shirt, redolent of 1270, is an experience that makes my heart lift even after the worst shift.

Since this scent is not cloying, overly sweet, harsh in the corners or too strong, chances are, you will be very happy with this choice.

Pros: Never cloying, beautiful in every stage from start to finish.
    Cons: None.

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Infanta En Flor by Arquiste

A charming fragrance

Well, it seems that I disagree with my respected friends/previous reviewers on this one. In my view this is a charming fragrance of great interest. Infanta En Flor opens with a very beautiful bright clean Orange Flower. A stunning opening. It is not heady. It's as clean as very good Orange Flower Water. It is joined by floral notes, notably a green, non indolic jasmine, which adds to the gentle sparkle. It is a very cool fragrance at this stage. The immortelle does not stand out on it's own to me.

In the mid development the fragrance does become very soapy indeed, which we know is not unusual with orange flower, and I think that this soapy phase is consistent with the style of the fragrance. I don't mind that at all, in fact I find it very pleasant. Infanta en Flor hums along in this way for several hours. It is wearing close to the skin by then. Eventually, a soft balsamic leather emerges, quiet and elegant. After six hours or so, this becomes amber. It is a whisper on the skin by that time (from dabbing, it may be different if sprayed).

Infanta en Flor is very lovely in my view. A successful composition with beautiful development. It's hard to describe where it sits in terms of genre, and in a strange way I think that perhaps that is why it doesn't get more attention. It smells quite classical but it has a more open, lighter structure which places it firmly on contemporary ground. It has suggestions of Eau de Cologne in the early stages but it has more tenacious foundations than that. It is rich but not in the least heavy. It strikes one as very complete somehow. If it seems like I am heading towards describing it as unique, well, no, it isn't that either. It's familiar. It won't be exciting enough for many people, but I think that it is a grower and probably a long keeper. It is one of the loveliest Orange Flower fragrances that I have tried. Try it if you like your Orange Flower clean and soapy.

It would be great on both women and men.

Pros: Beautiful Structure
    Cons: None for me.

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Endymion

A very smooth lavender with a mild leather base. It has a lot of spicy notes, without being too sharp. Has a "cool blue" feel to it, which pairs well with the navy colored box. A nice powdery scent that's great for cool fall nights.

Parti Pris by Terry de Gunzburg

A nice floral

A well made flor top with rose and ylang-ylang setting the tone. In the dydown sandal and vanilla dominate with some labdanum, but the sweetness is quite restrained. Well blended, good silage and projection with a good longevity of over five hours. Nothing exciting but solid.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

The Classic

Starts out pretty lemony and moves into a slight apple-spiciness. Dries into a green powdery fern scent. Smells a little dated and I think I might prefer the concentrated version, actually. Still worth using for a daily scent. I would compare it to Monsieur de Givenchy, which I sometimes prefer.

SnapDemon's avatar

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Meh...

A fruity scent with some woody base notes. But in an hour I would forget I'm even wearing it. If a fragrance smells great, but nobody smells it; does it smell at all?

Pros: Inexpensive
    Cons: Poor projection, Poor longevity

danielremy's avatar

France France

Salut by Elsa Schiaparelli

animalic lily

Vintage Schiaparelli Salut can be resumed in two words: animalic lily. But be careful: it's a masterpiece. I think that lily was Elsa Schiaparelli's prefered flower because she had already launched S in 1928, which was an aldehydic floral on the lily theme, but not original at all. Here, it's another thing. The most impressive is the contrast between the animalic side a la Guerlain , with the civet , and the pale , shy, white flower: Salut is an extremely sophisticated perfume that gives the impression to be 2 different fragrances put together. Only the drydown is a little bit disappointing, with a classic musky indolic white flower, like in Balalaika (Lucien Lelong), or in Muguet des Bois (Coty).

Ombre Mercure by Terry de Gunzburg

Deep dark floral

On my skin this is a deep and rich scent from the beginning with iris, ylang-ylang a d rise dominant. Later a nice violet and vanilla emerge, deep and rich, with a bit of patchouli just the right strength. Adequate silage and a longevity of about three to four hours on me. Solid.

AntonPan's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Dark Obsession by Calvin Klein

A comfort in the bottle

I strongly disagree with those who compare Dark Obsession and cK One Shock, they are absolutely different fragrances. Moreover, I suppose the Dark Obsession's juice better correlate with cK One line, and vice versa.
    Dark Obsession is a light (not light... comfortable) fruity vanilla patchouli scent. From the other fragrances it is closer to Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman, being fruitier and more wearable. The Calvin Klein starts off with a fruity accord, than becomes woodier and even a bit spicy in the deep dry down. On the whole, however, Dark Obsession could be described as a slightly sweet fruity fragrance with some woody uniqueness. Maybe it is synthetic, but I so apprecite wearing it, it stays like a second skin! The sillage is modest, the longevity is good.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very light leather floral.

The hawthorn, apricot and iris make a nice opening, whilst the base develops a very light musk. The leather is very light and bright on my skin, sort of a leather for people who don't like a stronger version. Pleasant, not unoriginal, two hours longevity.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ginger galore

Ginger, cinnamon and tea - a very nice opening with limited development on my skin. A touch of honey later on, but on my skin a light and bright affair. Still, overall nice. It lasts two hours on me.