Fragrance Reviews from August 2013

DanHD's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Nice clean summer scent

Original Vetiver is a nice light green scent. It has little vetiver; it’s more of a pleasant citrus / green opening and the classic Creed amber drydown. When I first tried OV, I was thinking, "simple, on the boring side, what’s the fuss?" But this one grew on me. I think it’s going to be my go-to summer office fragrance, besides L’Homme. I’m not very fond of the aquatic fragrances, so this is a great alternative. OV shines when you’re outside in the heat and moving – it really starts to resonate.

I don’t think this is a classic vetiver scent though. If you want a true vetiver experience, I recommend trying FM Vetiver Extraordinaire, Chanel Sycomore, or Guerlain Vetiver.

Pros: Simple, pleasant, classic Creed drydown
    Cons: Not a classic "true" vetiver"

Tony T's avatar

Ocean by Bath and Body Works

Total Joke

watermelon and yuzu? that's a joke.. cedarwood.. where?? don't buy this like I did. get noir instead

Pros: notes
    Cons: the notes lasts for 30 min"

stanmar's avatar

Cuir Mandarine by David Jourquin

Best in show

This one has grown on me. I was mildly disappointed initially only to start liking it after some full wearings. Very well blended with a seemless interplay of orange and blond tobacco at the core. My misgivings on what I thought was becoming a tiresome orange and tobacco accord were put aside the more I wear the stuff. There is something very classy about Cuir Mandarine. One of the few uber niche fragrances I could safely see the average joe wear and actually like it. So full marks for being warm and approachable . Still the fact remains , this style of fragrance seems to become boring and lacks depth or complexity. Very safe and maybe good for more formal events rather than a casual setting.

Pros: seductive , rich , masculine, alluring
    Cons: expensive , black touch is similar at a fraction of the price"

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

airy light

Very light fresh lavender, a bit of iris, a very light fresh whiff of scented air. On my skin there is no development, virtually no silage minimal projection and it is gone after about ninety minutes. Maybe in the morning before a wine tasting?

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

ephemeral wood

The light and very restrained nature of this composition is obvious on me and to me, yet the top note with myrrh, sandalwood and later some plum is very nice. In the drydown - however short it is - a nice violet is added. Little silage and projection, and a longevity on my skin of about two hours. A nice whisper.

knightowl's avatar

Best by Lomani

an obscure gem of a fragrance!

This is a musky, fruity, earthy concoction that smells awesome. Very masculine. Cheap in price but not in smell. Glad I discovered this obscure gem.

Beloved by Amouage

Beloved money-spinner

Have you listened to a pristine record being played on quality hi-fi equipment lately? Even at low volumes you could still hear the music come alive. To my mind Amouage BELOVED may be described thus, in similar terms. This tastefully rendered floral is anything but loud, projecting modestly with an undeniable crystalline quality to it that twinkles like a star-dusted evening sky. The rose is deliciously tart, the jasmine sublime and the resinous base invitingly warm. Yet they are all seamlessly and harmoniously blended. I am smitten. But the price tag left me cold.

*sigh*

If only more women invest in such beautiful fragrances instead of over-priced luxury handbags...

Pros: Out-of-this-world blend
    Cons: Out-of-this-world price tag"

mansoor's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

Foral, but masculine

I love this fragrance from Burberry. It has a clean scent, but it isn't soap-scented and simple. Do not wear to much, however, as you will get a headache. The scent is floral, but masculine.

Foxxworthi's avatar

Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

Heaven in a bottle

This is the best fragrance I have ever smelt and I have owned all the best. It comes off so perfectly fresh, green, clean with gorgeous patchouli and a perfect cocoa note. This is a 2 to 3 hour frag. If thats all you need you can do no better... the compliments arent casual, they react as if they tripped over somthing, suprised with a straight forward...you smell great.... I am a huge Amouage fan and own a couple of nassomattos...never thought about trying hindu grass..when I smelled it ar scent bar I was amazed....get a sample you will not be disappointed..dont getva sample and you are simply missing out on one of the most under the radar, underrated scents...

Pros: scent, compliments
    Cons: longevity"

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Light Musk

Yes, it is mainly musk but I get a bit of iris and a whiff of bergamot. Towards the end i get pure white musk Very restrained and elegant and weak with negligible silage and projection. Longevity, however, is acceptable with well over four hours.

Opus II by Amouage

Playing it safe

On skin OPUS II is mostly a subdued mildly citrusy incense over a spice-warmed base. I can't believe this is from the house that gave Jubilation XXV! As much as I enjoy its serenity and fougere-ish similarity to Invasion Barbare, its somewhat one-dimensionality leaves me less than satisfied. Opus II plays it safe and sticks closely to 'good' when it could have stretched out just a little further towards 'great'.

Pros: Wearable quiet incense
    Cons: Does not evolve much"

Francolino's avatar

Theseus by Lorenzo Villoresi

green

Green/ Spicy..nice in hot weather, good sillage and duration.

Korrigan by Lubin

Boozy gourmand

The top note is yummy: cognac, scotch, caramel and saffron. It is rich and creamy, but not loud. Later oud and a sweetish leather are added in the base. Never cloying or sickly sweet, it had decent silage and projection. Longevity is about five hours. Nice.

Vitriol d'Oeillet by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Flowery with substance

This startsas an elegant flowery creation, with carnation and iris setting the scene. Later white pepper and nutmeg with clove giving it some deeper substance, to end on a wood note that is surprisingly elegant. Elegance is the name of this game, whilst substantial and with good body. Good silage and projection, and good longevity at six hours. Delightful.

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Tuberose - lots of those

The opening is a bit sharp, nigh tyre-rubbery with orange blossom, but soon the almighty, dark and foggy tuberose takes over, only a little bit brightened up by glimpses of a nice hyacinth shining through. Clove and nutmeg give it death and spice, and styrax and a dark musk a certain smokiness. Great silage and projection, with a criminally good longevity of over eight hours. One of Mr Sheldrake's most convincing offences.

Akkad by Lubin

Et in Akkadia ego

In Fashion, style and perfumery old great house of tradition and renown are often rejuvenated or re-organised, with new owners, directors or designers - not always convincingly. Hence I am following the re-invention of Lubin, one of the oldest Fresh perfume houses with considerable interest, and decided to try Akkad.

The opening with orange and bergamot with a green undertone is very traditional, but then oriental depth is reached with frankincense, cardamom and styrax taking over. The drydown further adds a soft and gentle amber that has no edges and roughness - this is absolutely no Amber Absolute. Labdanum and tonka give is a hint on non-cloying elegant sweetness. This is superbly blended, resulting in a beautiful frankincense-amber of classic proportions.

Not all new Lubins are interesting, but with Akkad it has taken a step in the right direction.

JungleNYC's avatar

Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne

A whispy, disconnected jumble (with no Vetiver)

Right away you get the "bitter orange," the "wood," and some vanilla/sweet.

The citrus hangs around for a while, which is really the only positive point imho. Wearing this in summer, smelling like "sweet, bitter orange" isn't terrible. Although I would say that the citrus mix is almost leaves you with more of a "red grapefruit" impression. Oh well. Doesn't matter.

It's very top-heavy. No real bottom to speak of.

The real miss here is that you can imagine how this would've worked better. In theory, the elements are not wholly incompatible. It's just odd how they play out in reality. They never quite meld, or even mingle. Notes like shy teenagers at a sadie hawkins dance.

Perhaps that's why the mid-top is the actual focus here. After all, you have to have a focus of some sort. It just seems the citrus got that honor by default.

The saving grace here is that Atelier does seem to use more "natural" ingredients. So at least the citrus smells real, and refreshing.

My main issue with this (and other frags) is the name. While I would never buy something without smelling it (and hopefully wearing it), if you name something "Vetiver" I contend that it better damned well have some Vetiver in it.

Yes. Vetiver is hard to work with. It's complex, and opinionated. It has baggage. But when a frag house with some talent (like this one) does a "Vetiver" I expect it, at the very least, to nod in that direction. This frag does no nodding.

Many of Atelier's other offerings are fabulous. I'll be skipping this one.

Pros: Not offensive
    Cons: Disperate, confused"

Quartz's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

A Great Scent

I'm not a fan of vetiver but this one is really different. The vetiver is certainly there but it's augmented by a very pronounced smoky note which makes this quite different. For me, its longevity is terrific- a good 12+ hours. Not at all like most of the department store designer fragrances and a fantastic buy for about $35/100ml.

You'll definitely want to sample this one first because not everyone will find this to their liking.

Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids

A reformulated Vicks Vaporub

Smelling this made me smile. The potently minty eucalyptus note recalled another reviewer's tongue-in-cheek description of another scent: Vicks Vaporub on a lumberjack. What was conceptually formulated to evoke the wet, leafy undergrowth of a mist-shrouded evergreen rainforest in the Pacific Northwest failed to deliver at the execution stage. The fragrance stays frozen at the pine needle/eucalyptus junction. The earthy-mossy depth I was looking for is sadly absent. But like a ride in a kid's tree-swing, I could not help but enjoy the experience.

Pros: I love Vicks Vaporub
    Cons: It's mostly Vicks Vaporub"

BottleJunky's avatar

JB by Jack Black

An Awful Experience

This was a huge and disappointing blind buy that had me sending the bottle back to JB for a refund the day after I received and tried this fragrance. Especially since I've enjoyed JB's other fragrances, namely Black Mark. Upon spraying this on my skin I got an immediate burst of dry wood and mint. In fact the entire wear was way too dry with very few pleasant or interesting notes. It burned my nostrils when I smelled it even though it was not over applied. Late into the dry down I got a cloying stale perfumy sent that just hung around way too long. I know it's an EDP but even a tiny bit of this stuff was very unpleasant. I know I'm not alone being as others have called JB just plain awful.

Pros: None that I can find
    Cons: Cons abound"

ericrico's avatar

Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Vintage Sybaris

I've been wanting to try this for a while and I am very thankful for a nice decant from my good friend, Dimitrios. I have to say that it truly has a wonderful unique, green chypre/leather vibe.

The house of Puig has some great scents - this is one of very high quality.

The feeling of the scent is very natural. A vibrant, fresh, green chypre with rich notes that jump from the bottle. Very high quality ingredients in Sybaris! Interesting to note the origin of the word. Sybaris was an ancient Greek city of southern Italy on the Gulf of Taranto. Noted for its wealth and luxury, it was destroyed in warfare with Crotona in 510 b.c.

I get the citrus with the Aldehydes up-front, strong and good rich opening, and it is not fizzy. The basil is nice - green, but earthy, further enhanced be a very nice cumin note (works very well here). The Artemisia and Juniper in the heart join the top quickly and dominate the heart. I do smell some light florals, with a nice sprinkling of cinnamon. Sandalwood comes through toward the end of the heart - not loud, but smooth.

The initial base note that came to me was the Oakmoss, but then I resprayed from atomizer (as I first dabbed on some to test) and found that Olibanum actually comes up and meets the Sandalwood in the late heart (a light smokiness forms), followed by a blend of herbaceous, green Patchouli and lichen (Oakmoss) that is very well-presented. Vetiver shows here as a woody note - not a major player, but precise and a bit sharp. The Olibanum is further warmed by Amber in the base which is really a smoldering ember under all this foiliage and wood...but it works well to enhance accords.

The final note, is the key...a green, woody chypre/leather composition with the leather being a bit tattered. Not heavy birch tar, but significant depth here. I will say that the green notes are more dominant to me and lean towards a green woody chypre as a classification, but the leather is like that of a worn saddle. It completes the scent. Riding on horseback through the Pyrennes at dusk with rancher's homes warmed by a wood-burning stove - wisps of smoke drift in the air.

This is not a loud scent, but a well-crafted one. It warms to the body and wears very natural...the vibe is definitively Spanish, muy clasico! Moderate silage and, from a layered sample, good longevity. Masculine and a bit rigorous - would wear wonderfully outdoors on a veranda having dinner. I will refrain from comparing it to other scents as it has a uniqueness - but feels comfortable. One could wear this formally or casual (but still upscale)...for a mature and confident man. Recommended. Salud!

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Plum Japonais by Tom Ford

Sweet Sour Ambery Spiced Plum

Damn , Mr Ford you make a good plum scent. This scent had me from the the very first sniff.

Spice, cinnamon and a *gentle* oud mixed with a non sweet plum .

The suggestion of sweet and sour preserved asian plum is there - but you won't really smell like that .

Plum Japonais is sophisticated and urban sexy .

The scent becomes more amber powdery as it progresses. It's a spiced up scent suitable - as always for both men and women . A wonderful mix of notes and I usually don't like oud much but the touch here is good.

.Immortelle sweetens this up a little in the mid section .

This scent has a good punch on me .

Lovely scent- not fruity ,not flowery - just its own mysterious and spiced plummy character. very in keeping with Tom Ford's fragrant style.

Love it. Love the name . Love Tom Ford.

Pros: Very well done
    Cons: Another plum scent !"

mariana's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Noa by Cacharel

Just boring!

Can't understand why so many people love Noa. The scent is weak, boring, definitely unnecessary, a waste of money (and nose). Actually I can't understand how could someone create a perfume that smells like nothing.

01st August, 2013 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2014)

wormstir's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

First smell of this the initial similarity I get is to YSL Jazz, but with just a more spice to dirty it up. There is also as many have noted a close similarity to the very expensive (but amazing) Tom Ford Italian Cypress, but Z-14 doesn't quite match the deep, dark glowering smokiness of IC. Pretty close though. For a so-called powerhouse this isn't too scary, and certainly doesn't smell 'old-man-ish'. It's really cheap and works in all weathers and times of day...Now I need to get hold of the old formulation to see if it's even closer in character to the magical Tom Ford IC...can't help but recommend this stuff for all round quality and the price is amazing!

01st August, 2013 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2014)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

IV L'Heure Fougueuse by Cartier

Masterpiece

Fougueuse interests me because I am a Sagittarian - half man and half horse. Fougueuse is a highly unique and unusual scent - hay ,clean horse's mane , the outside air. It feels personal , familiar ...something I have smelt before ..almost subconscious but I have never smelt it in a perfume. Fougueuse is dynamic. The animalic vibe here smells like good warm skin not freshly washed but warmed by skin oils.

Excellent.

Pros: unique
    Cons: expensive"

Francois Blais's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Nice stuff!

The comparison to Déclaration de Cartier is obvious.

Granted it doesn't smell the same, but uses the same structure.

Also, there's cardamom in both of them.

SF is a very nice woody spicy scent, ideal for the office, or when you need something that doen't project too much, but still carries confidence, elegance and maturity.

Pros: Confidence, seriousness, elegance
    Cons: Longevity could be better"

gimpy's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Gorgeous

VdR is simply a gorgeous scent. It's been said many times, but it definitely gives off that damp soil and rose feel. Lots of reviews will mention goth, but to me this feels very alive. One day, I was wearing No.88 all day, and by the end I had become tired. No.88 was just too solemn and dry for me that day. I came home and sprayed on VdR and it was like night and day--one dead, the other full of life. There's definitely also a hint of camphor that creeks out once in while, which is very nice.

Lasting power on this is great. Two sprays under the shirt was enough for it to pump out all day at work.

Admirers of Zino and Ungaro I should try this.

Basenoter's avatar

Peru Peru

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

Oriental'ish cheapie

Got this almost 1 year ago. It's not sweet at all, rather woody and citrusy at the start. After that, the weird apple note appears but it isnt unpleasant at all. You can smeel woodsy notes in the middle accompanied with Some vanilla and some citrus. The base notes are mainly sandalwood and a mix of the other notes listed. Pretty good for the price, sillage and projection are actually pretty decent, getting 6-8 hours of projection. Great for cold weather.

Pros: Decent sillage, cheap, uncommon
    Cons: Not for everyone"

tottita's avatar

Cie by Shulton

aroma inolvidable Cie clasico

tuve este perfume por primera vez en 1980 fue un regalo de la mama de mi primer novio, despues me lo compre cada vez que pude yl o consegui hasta 1984 que lo pedia a una sra. dueña de una perfumeria, que viajaba al exterior y lo conseguia, nunca mas pude tenerlo, y deseo sentir ese aroma nuevamente siempre lo busque y nunca mas lo connsegui..hermosisimo aromai!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: nunca mas senti un aroma que me gustara tanto
    Cons: no lo consigo en mi pais"

commodity12's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Nice evening scent

I was not so crazy about this scent when I first opened it. The scent when you first spray it is rather harsh and sharp. It dries down nice and it last about 5 to 6 hours on my skin. This is not a scent I recommend for the young crowd. I suggest 25 and up.

Pros: longevity and projection on my skin
    Cons: harsh opening"