Fragrance Reviews from February 2014

Mufta Mamma's avatar

St Johns Bay Rum by West Indies Bay Company

I've been hooked on this fragrance since childhood, my dad being a St. Johns Bay Rum man. I know it's made for men, but it's a nice, light scent for women to wear as well. It also pairs well with other spicy scents. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long. My current bottle came from my father's vanity, which I carefully packed up and brought home with me after he passed away. My teenage son is developing a liking for it, too.

Jonz's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

My personal favorite of the Private Blend line. A fantastic leather scent. Off the top there are nice notes of raspberry mixed in. On my skin, it dried down to a very rich smokiness, with amber mixed into the picture as well. I think this is a rugged, mature fragrance and is great for a cool evening. The woman at the Tom Ford counter described this as the cologne for "the man's man" and I would agree

The longevity is fantastic, it lasted for many hours on my skin. Really happy with this fragrance.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

It's definitely sweet! The fruity top notes dissipate on my skin within an hour leaving a much more woody scent with a slight touch of sweetness. I pick up a lot more of the white woods and blond leather than anything else. One spray on the back of the neck is sufficient for me. If I sprayed anymore it would become way too sweet and cloying. This scent is good for chilly weather and cooler nights. I really enjoy this one.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

I don't dislike this one but I also do not love it. Oddly enough this one gets way more compliments than verscace man eau fraiche. I much prefer the sweet fresh squeezed orange juice vibe I get from "man eau fraiche".

This one is more bold and it smells kind of spicy in a way when compared to its brother.

I always got an over the top compliment when wearing this one. Which is very weird.

Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique

Full floral opening… the bergamot / freesia combination is very present… It is a dynamic, lasting floral accord dominated by freesia, it’s possible that there is some ambrette in the mixture, but I smell mostly freesia.

The florals from the heart notes – especially the osmanthus – continue the floral energy of the opening. I do appreciate the very good osmanthus note in the accord; I can’t separate out the rose note – I wouldn’t bet the farm that it’s there. This heart accord serves as my introduction to a new note for me: kaphalis, which has been variously described as a neutral wood note or a “complex synthetics with some subtleties to it and some musk-like characteristics” and that “it has quite a lot in common with Iso E Super.” I do notice a bit of neutrality and a slight musky platform in the floral heart accord as opposed to the straight-out floral accord of the opening, and at my first couple of testings I thought I was smelling a weak sandalwood note in the heart accord. I simply do not have enough experience with this note to feel capable of identifying it here. The florals of the heart accord last longer than I expected, but the quality of the accord does degrade as it ages and the tenor of the florals change from smelling floral to smelling generically soapy- green to smelling metallic. As far as what I don’t smell of the listed pyramid, the list is rather long: I already noted that I don’t smell the ambrette and the rose… they are probably there underneath the feesia and osmanthus, but I can’t pick them out of the mixture. I pretty much miss out on the complete base – vetiver, musk, and cedar. I do get a musky platform through most of the fragrance and it certainly contributes to the overall vibration, but it is not obvious. The vetiver and cedar might be responsible for the weak metallic imprint of the last half of the fragrance, but I can’t pull either one out individual as individual notes. Most of all, I don’t get ink. The ink note in Encre Noire Pour Homme was quite obvious to me, but in Encre Noire Pour Elle, I don’t get a trace of it.

With these full floral accords, I wonder about the reason for paring this scent with the successful Encre Noire Pour Homme… I expected Pour Elle to be somewhat related to the original – at least the ink note of the original might have been somewhat strongly presented in Pour Elle… Well… I don’t want to get further into discussing the name of Encre Noire Pour Elle, suffice it to say that I see this is merely an unrelated product extension of a successful fragrance. It carries little similarity to Pour Homme and more’s the pity.

Legend by Michael Jordan

Legend is an attractive gourmand. Its opening has a controlled bergamot and lavender with anise subtly dominating on a base of white patchouli– even the anise is controlled. The opening pretty much sets the stage for the remainder of the fragrance – it doesn’t change very much after. The middle retains the anise and light patchouli and adds a very light tea note. I never do find a moss note that is supposed to be there. For the base, the anise still remains but the patchouli appears to have been replaced with a light musk. I think I pick up a trace of cedar and maybe coffee. This is a simple but extremely enjoyable fragrance. Legend is quite linear; it performs its task very well and is a very good deal for the money.

Méharées by L'Erbolario

This is very pleasant, smooth, mellow, and mature. The top notes have lavender, tangerine, bergamot and rose oil. For the first twenty minutes it reminds me exactly of lemon meringue pie. The middle and top notes are where it shines, after about an hour the citrusy vibe is muted and you get cinnamon with a slight touch of sweetness from dates. In the base the myrrh and tonka bean are ever present along side the dates that never really dissipated. In the end it gives off an amazing sweet nutty almond/walnut vibe.

I believe that myrhh cannot be the only wood present in this masterpiece. Méharées only exists in the 50ml size and it costs the same as the other L'erbolario fragrances of 100ml.

I'm assuming that its much more expensive to produce and that's why you receive only 50ml as opposed to 100ml. I would guesstimate that cedarwood, sandalwood, guaiac wood, amber, basil, nutmeg & musk might*** also be  present in this. In conclusion this fragrance is BEAUTIFUL and a must try.

rbaker's avatar

Iris 39 by Le Labo

The Iris in the opening is brilliant - rich, elegant but strong, full and not sweet. The drydown adds violet, a light musk and a dash of rose to it. After two hours it becomes close to my skin, and impressions of ylang-ylang and civet a present. The first iris-laden hours are magnificent, and the total longevity is four hours. A benchmark iris.

burntsiennna's avatar

Tihota by Indult

Just a comment about the new packaging: Much better in person than in pictures! I was pleasantly surprised. The cap is not cheap and plastick-y, as it looks in online photographs. It may actually be glass or a high quality resin? Packaging adds a lot to my perfume experience, so I am pleased. (Although, to be honest, I would buy Tihota in a styrofoam cup)

PS. To my nose, the formula smells the exact same as the original release. Hooray!

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

It's really interesting for me that some people keep comparing this to "Gucci Pour Homme 2003" and even some of them say this is better version of it, but for me these two have completely different scents.
    At the opening I can smell a semi sweet saffron note with lots of woods and spice and a little bit of aldehydes.
    The heavy woods and spicy part may remind you of "Gucci Pour Homme" but there is lots of saffron and aldehydes here that make this fragrance quite different.
    As time goes by the saffron note goes to the background and now aldehydes become much stronger.
    The aldehydes give the scent a strong soapy vibe and a little green feeling and beside that still you can smell woods and spices but behind aldehydes.
    It's soapy and a little green, but bitter woody and spicy at the same time with some floral notes.
    In the base I can smell a inky musky vetiver note with some aldehydes and woods in the background.
    The base of the fragrance remind me of the dry down of "Lalique Encre Noir". not exactly the same but close enough.
    Projection is really good and longevity is around 5-7 hours on my skin.
    A good and pleasant soapy,woody and spicy fragrance and I like it.

Knize Ten by Knize

I really love these classic leather based fragrances.
    Some of them like "Dior Fahrenheit" or "Guerlain Derby" or "HdP 1740" are the ones that I would die for.
    This one has the same DNA but with some differences. floral, musky and dirty leather is something that you're gonna get out of this.
    The opening is just heaven for classic lovers.
    I can smell some fresh citruses with a little amount of green notes and lots of spices. there is earthy patchouli there and I can smell carnation note that give the scent a light powdery floral feeling.
    Now throw the dirty and musky leather note in .... you have the opening.
    In the mid citruses, patchouli and spices settled down and now I can smell a little more floral note.
    I was hoping for stronger leather note in the mid but unfortunately I didn't get that :(
    In the base sadly the leather note disappeared completely and leaved me with semi sweet floral note and some spices in the background.
    There is always some sweetness in every step of this fragrance to balance the notes but it's not overpowering at all.
    All and all, a great classic fragrance.
    If I could get stronger leather note, that would be amazing but sadly the leather note is not prominent in this fragrance.
    You can smell it for sure but it's not the leader. he is just following other notes specially the floral note side by side.
    I want dirty and smoky leather note in front but that's only my personal taste and opinion.
    Projection is really good and longevity is around 8-9 hours on my skin.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A really solid vetiver based fragrance that isn't something new or very different at all, but it's a good one.
    The opening is a little alchoholic! it's because of using a boozy note or just because of bad quality .... I don't know!!!
    I can smell a dirty/earthy vetiver note mixed with some incense that give the scent a little smoky aroma and just a hint of sweetness and fruity notes in the background.
    The whole idea of the scent remind me of "Terre D'Hermes" but something is crystal clear here. this one released two years earlier so this is the father!
    As time goes by I can smell a little more sweetness and more fruity note beside that earthy vetiver and incense combo.
    The scent is not that strong and potent. this can be someones signature scent and he can use it all year round. I said he because it's more masculine than feminine!
    Projection isn't that great. mostly close to the skin and longevity is around 6-8 hours on my skin.
    As I said a solid and classic vetiver based fragrance that personally I prefer "Terre D'Hermes EDT version" over this.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

A nice fresh and salty aquatic fragrance that smell good and It can make your annoying hot summer day much easier to deal with!
    The opening is fresh, green and salty cucumber note which is really nice.
    It's simple and to be honest very generic, but it's good.
    As time goes by, the cucumber is almost gone and you can smell stronger salty seaweed note with a little bit of sweetness.
    You should really like salty and aquatic notes to like this fragrance so watch out!
    In the base that salty note settle down and you can smell a soft salty note, some spices and some sweetness.
    It's good but does it worth $200? I don't think so.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

If you're following my reviews, you know that I don't like rose and rose based fragrances at all.
    There is no big difference here.
    I can copy/paste my review about "Montale Black Aoud" here because both have the same DNA and again it gives me that holy shrine and funeral feeling and personally I can't stand it!
    This fragrance opens up with strong and sweet and almost chocolaty rose note with some patchouli in the background.
    Where is oud in this fragrance?!
    If you found it, give him my best!
    Only thing that I can smell is strong and sweet rose and vanilla combo and some patchouli that give the scent only a kick and a sharp edge.
    I know many folks out there will find this fragrance sexy, but I found it annoying! sorry guys.
    You will have this sweet and almost chocolaty rose scent till the end.
    No big changes.
    Only in last hour of the scent on your skin and when It's going to die, you can smell a little stronger patchouli that has slightly earthy feeling.
    Both projection and longevity is really good.
    Again, not for me!

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

It's a pleasant fresh fruity scent with salty aquatic feeling but to be honest, smell very generic and something that you can find for $50 on designer houses like "CK" or "Lacoste" or other brands like this.
    The opening is a sharp and fresh fruity scent with some floral notes from violet and some salty aquatic feeling mixed with it.
    It does have a light soapy vibe too that all together creating a pleasant and nice smell.
    I can feel a bitter herbal note that gets stronger in the mid and again gets weaker in the base and based on note list, it's basil note and it's really nice.
    The quality isn't that good and it's kind of synthetic but overall it's OK.
    Very linear scent and you will get the same smell all the way through.
    Projection is great and longevity is really good.
    Personally, I don't recommend spending +200 dollars to buy this fragrance but that's all depend on you!

Bullion by Byredo

This is an excellent fragrance and definitely something unique and not for everybody.
    The opening is combination of fresh, sweet and fruity plum scent with smoky and dirty leather and animalistic musky scent.
    The fruity plum scent is very pleasant, but strong and dirty leather note and also animalistic musky scent make it something quite different from everything that I've tested before.
    It's fresh, fruity and yummy but it's dirty and naughty at the same time.
    There are some spicy notes beside these notes and a light floral scent in the background too.
    In the mid there is no too much changes. only leather gets a little weaker.
    In the base, things changed a lot!
    The leather note, animalistic musky scent and spices all go completely to the background and only thing that remain and you can smell is sweet plum and floral notes. the base is kind of disappointment but it's OK.
    This one gave me a lot at the opening and mid.
    Projection is good and longevity is 7-8 hours on my skin.
    It's not a safe blind buy! definitely try it.
    I like it.

Oud Immortel by Byredo

This is a stunning fragrance!
    While there are lots of brands, niche and designer involve themselves with oud, rose and saffron combo which is very popular these days but it's quite boring and annoying for me, jewels like this are not really appreciated.
    This fragrance opens up with fresh and juicy limoncello note mixed with some oud, some black pepper, some incense and some patchouli.
    The limoncello is juicy, sweet and fresh but wait a minute, what is this sharp and dark aroma mixed with it?
    Yep, there is some oud and incense here and they give this fresh juicy scent a dark and slightly smoky feeling.
    There is no black pepper in this fragrance but I can smell it for sure.
    I can also smell patchouli note in the background that give the scent hint of earthiness.
    After a while and in the dry down, you can still smell limoncello which is fresh like the opening but now it's less sweet and juicy.
    Black pepper is almost gone and you can smell both oud and incense in the background.
    Now some green notes kick in and give the scent a little bit more fresh feeling.
    The scent is fresh and green, but dark and slightly smoky at the same time.
    The dry down is very close to the opening but a little bit fresher!
    Now in the base something really interesting happened!
    While I was expecting no changes till the end, the tobacco came in!
    The tobacco give the scent much more depth and more dark feeling and I think I'm the first one who mention this, but I can smell a very light animalistic smell as well!
    The base really surprised me and I loved it.
    Projection is awesome and longevity is 8 plus hours on my skin.
    As I said it's a stunning fragrance that deserve much more talk about.
    A perfect choice for spring and summer nights.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Vetiver is a simple and to be honest a boring note and it's really important that how the perfumer surround it with other notes to make it complex.
    This fragrance start with a sharp, fresh and peppery vetiver note which is really pleasant and nice.
    The vetiver is bold and strong and you can smell it easily.
    There is some fresh citrusy scent and some pepper to support it and this combination create a really good masculine scent.
    As time goes by, the fresh notes start to fade away slowly and vetiver start to show his earthy face.
    In the mid you can smell bolder and richer vetiver with light earthy feeling and there are some pepper, some woods, a little bit of musky sweetness and some fresh notes.
    It's simple, but at the same time complex and very pleasant.
    If you're looking for your first bottles of a vetiver based fragrance this one is one of the best, but if you already have a few in your collection, there is no need to buy a full bottle!
    You can buy a small decant or a sample and enjoy it.
    Both projection and longevity is average on my skin.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A simple but a really good and high quality fragrance.
    There are 6 notes in it but you will smell mostly patchouli, cocoa and warm honey sweetness and other notes are almost impossible to detect!
    The opening is a strong, sharp and earthy patchouli note mixed with heavy honey sweetness and cocoa all together.
    The sweetness is strong and it's honey like. it doesn't smell like vanilla.
    It's very sexy and yummy type of sweetness and it's not potent or offensive at all.
    The sweetness tune down the wild and earthy patchouli very much, but still you can easily detect patchouli.
    The cocoa and honey sweetness notes creating a very sexy charming scent and beside those, strong and earthy patchouli note give it a really nice masculine kick.
    It's linear and you will have this combo to the end.
    Projection is great and longevity is 8-10 hours which is pretty good.
    I like it.
    Serge Lutens fragrances never disappointed me!

Black Aoud by Montale

You know, there are some jokes that are funny only in particular countries. when you say it among your people, they may laugh to death but if you say it in other country they will just stare at you and say ..... so ?! O.o
    This fragrance has the same situation!
    It's really interesting and exotic fragrance for many folks in US, Europe but if you live in Asia and specially countries like IRAN which I am and countries at the same area, when you wear something like this that mean you smell like the cheapest rose extract that is called "Golab" and you can buy a 1 liter bottle of it for less than $1.
    People will make fun of you when you smell like this!
    There is a city in IRAN called "Kashan" that is very famous in the world for having very big rose gardens and special rose extract that is exactly the smell of this fragrance!
    This rose extract has different uses! mostly they use it in holy shrines and also we use it in our funerals on the body to smell good and also has usage for making local cookies in some cities of my country!
    Do I like to smell like a holy shrine or a body before bury?! hell no!
    Also oud has a very small role in this fragrance!
    All thing that you get is syrupy sweet musky rose for a very long time and only some oud in the background and also patchouli which was the only part that I enjoyed.
    And please for god sake don't tell me how oud smell like because I've grown up with smell of oud and rose like every other guy in my country!!
    Both projection and longevity is amazing with this!

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

What a big disappointment!
    The note breakdown looks very interesting.
    I was expecting a quality fresh citrusy scent which is simple but could be really pleasing, but this one failed me!
    The opening is fresh and sweet citrusy scent with a light bitter herbal scent in the background.
    The citrusy scent smell like tangerine and it's sweet.
    The quality is very bad and it doesn't smell natural to my nose. it's synthetic and sweet that from first sniff reminded me of a very cheap orange candies that I used to buy when I was a little kid.
    It was the cheapest candy in the market but based on what I had in my pocket those days, it's was my only choice and this fragrance remind my of those sweet orange candies!
    There is a weak bitter herbal scent in the background too. something like basil or maybe it's neroli that give us that feeling but anyway it's very weak and disappears after half an hour.
    The dry down and base is exactly the same of opening but without that bitter herbal smell.
    Sweet, synthetic and cheap orange candy and tangerine smell all the way through!
    Projection is very weak and completely close to the skin and longevity is around 2 hours on my skin!
    I prefer burn my money instead of wasting my money on this fragrance that cost around $200!

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Ahhhhhh, Amber Absolute. you sick bas****! :D
    Finally I found a sample of you!
    It's another great amber based fragrance that I was expecting a little more out of it but still it's strong enough to kill tons of other fragrances out there!
    The opening is a strong sweet amber mixed with lots of woods and spices.
    The sweetness is strong in vanilla way and mixing with strong woods and spices, create a yummy sweet fragrance which is brutal and masculine at the same time.
    The opening remind me of Amber Sultan. yes, but the sweetness is more and stronger.
    As time goes by, there isn't too much changes.
    The vanilla sweetness become stronger and you can still smell strong woods and spiced side by side the sweetness.
    The dry down is different from Amber Sultan too my nose.
    In Amber Sultan you will get a smooth honey sweetness which is not so potent plus very smooth woods and spices, but in this fragrance the sweetness is vanilla like and its very strong and also woods and spices are much stronger!
    The dry down and base of this fragrance remind me of Andy Tauer's masterpiece! I mean LADDM!
    They don't smell exactly the same, but they do have things in common!
    So if you can't find this fragrance or it's too expensive, you can replace it by LADDM easily which is as quality as this, maybe even better and just like this with stunning projection and longevity.
    It's quite sad that this fragrance is discontinued, but fortunately there are great replacements for it.

Endymion by Penhaligon's

I've tested this fragrance several times to get something out of it, but to be honest with you it's nothing!
    A very generic fresh spicy scent with some floral notes and touch of leather is all things that I get from it.
    At the opening I can smell a semi fresh spicy scent with hint of floral notes. something that I've smelt in tons of fragrances!
    Projection is crap! no projection at all!
    In the dry down things get a little better!
    The fresh scent settle down and now some leather kick in plus some sweetness.
    When I say leather do not expect a dark or smoky leather! a very weak and smooth leather, completely in the background!
    It didn't survive to the base because it last only one hour on my skin and then it was gone!
    It's $120 for a bottle!!
    Dude, go kid yourself!

Osmanthus by Different Company

A semi fresh citrusy and floral fragrance that dries down to a generic sweet floral scent.
    At the opening you can smell a light and fresh citrusy scent with very natural and light rose note and some sweetness in the background.
    The citrusy scent is not so bold and extremely fresh like summer fragrances. It’s there and you can easily smell it but it’s just smooth and gentle. there are some green notes in the background too and they give the scent more fresh feeling.
    I’m not a fan of rose but I found the rose scent very natural and quality in this fragrance. smell like rose petals.also the sweetness is light and vanilla like. It’s not musky.
    The opening is very pleasant and I like it so much.
    In the dry down the sweetness become much stronger and osmanthus note comes into the front of the scent and pushes other floral notes like rose and jasmine completely to the background.
    The dry down is very generic to my nose. osmanthus doesn’t have a unique smell at all and this sweet floral smell may remind you of tons of other floral fragrances in women world.
    Projection is good and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
    I loved the opening but dry down and base is quite generic.
    And one last thing ……. this fragrance is completely feminine! guys, don’t even think about using this fragrance!

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Well, there is not much to say about this fragrance!
    It's simple, pleasant, safe, boring and not bottle worthy in my opinion!
    It's not bad , but I feel there are a few things missing in this fragrance!
    They put the unisex sticker on it!
    So where are woods?! where are spices?! where are floral notes? they could even throw a light animalistic note in but instead of using a little of these notes to make it more complex, they kept it in the simplest way!
    At the opening you can smell a very light citrusy scent with some herbal smell from basil and a little amount of musk and fruity black berries!
    There is no basil note in this fragrance but like her older sister it does have it!
    The musky scent is very simple, light and slightly sweet.
    In the dry down the citrusy and basil notes are almost gone and you will get a little stronger musk and now the black berries scent replaced by red berries!
    That's it!
    Projection is very soft and longevity is good. around 6 hours.
    It's a good smelling and simple fragrance but for the price that they're asking, forget about it!

Shifty Bat's avatar

Leather by Avon

Leather is more interesting than I would have guessed. Mine is contained in a glass book ("I have many leather-bound books" - Ron Burgundy). When it opens it seems almost as if the top notes aren't getting along with the rest of the fragrance. Immediately I get a lemon and bergamot with some petitgrain and bittersweet moss, and this aspect reminds me of many older scents in the same vein of English Leather, Dunhill, or Chanel Pour Monsieur. Lying underneath that phase and waiting to emerge is a soft, tobacco-leathery note which seems to be paired with, of all things, wintergreen, as well as a light powdery-sweet element separate from the moss (which is now providing a neat sour counterweight) that could be orris or nutmeg. The citrusy parts don't stick for long and most of Leather's run on my skin is the soft-spoken almost-leather, moss, nutmeg/orris, and that odd mint(?). Despite the name this is the only fragrance I can think of that smells similar to Bogner's masterpiece Deep Forest (after the opening wears away) and it is quite pleasant.

The above development is the smell on my skin. If applied to paper there is a much longer run with the top notes trying awkwardly to mingle with the rest, and the effect is like lemon peel having an argument with oakmoss. It's sour and weird and a little funny.

Francolino's avatar

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

heavy patchouly /leather drydown..quite similar to Givenchy Gentleman...thick projection

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Had a hard time trying this one after hearing it could be unisex. On the mid and the base for sure. The opening not so much. It's loud and bold. At first I liked it but did'nt know when to wear this fragrance. Now I use it as a clubbing scent. It works for me in that setting but I would'nt wear it anywere else.

KEM44's avatar

Memory of Kindness by CB I Hate Perfume

I turned to this sample when my Russian Tea Caravan was gone and I was desperate for a scent. I learned 3 things about CB scent from Memory of Kindness. The first is that these fragrances become much more interesting and complex on your skin than they are when you just sniff the bottle, so even if you don't fall in love at first whiff, it might be worth a try anyway. That is certainly the case for me with this fragrance. Sniffing the bottle I get nothing but tomato vine, but on my skin the scent unfolded into something green and lovely and complex.

The second thing I learned from this scent is that it's worth the effort to blank out the reviews and just smell the scent like you dont know what it's *supposed* to be. When I smell this fragrance without "tomato!" screaming in my mind, the tomato vine is there somewhere but what I really get is a very sophisticated and unusual scent. And third: I live in Michigan and it was 31 below zero in January. Do I really want to smell like a tomato vine? Yes! I put some of this on my scarf and it was utterly fabulous to be outside in the polar vortex and smell something so green and alive. This is going to be my January scent from now on.

01st February, 2014 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2014)

k e i t h's avatar

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Cacharel pl'h,

Very unique stuff. Strangely, I don't get a lot of nutmeg from this. It is there, but just enough to keep you wanting more. The top notes fade quickly on my skin. Within minutes actually, which is a shame. On clothes they stay put much longer 3-4 hours. I notice a similarity to Dunhill's edition (1984) before the drydown occurs. After the top citrus notes fade out I am left with a very woody smell. This is where cacharel pl'h becomes so unique. It reminds me of fresh cut lumber and sawdust, as if I was working in a woodshop cutting 2x4's all day with a chop saw. After an hour or so, cedar is what is left. I do think it is worthy of being in a collection with anyone who appreciates classic men's fragrance. Its a shame that the new juice seems to have been severely neutered. despite that, it does still have that 80's timeless feel to it. I would love to have a vintage bottle in my collection. 1981 was my favorite year in terms of men's frag releases. This will never be a Kouros or Antaeus, but I find myself grabbing this bottle almost as much.

After wearing this frag a while, I notice that in order for my nose to get the nutmeg burst, I find that I must spray a couple more times than I am used to (4-5), on clothes.

Pros: unique,
    Cons: top notes are just too fleeting on my skin

01st February, 2014 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2014)