Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Gold Woman by Amouage

If you have ever wondered what "soapy" meant as a fragrance note, try Gold Woman. For me, it holds this note as a primary characteristic until the very end. Gold is very pretty, well crafted, and somewhat old fashioned. In the end, just not that special. I really expected more for this price.
02nd December, 2014
Very much like Chanel Number 5, but denser. Not that interesting.
17th August, 2014
sfmedusa Show all reviews
As JackTwist said, I've got one wrist of vintage Madame Rochas and one of Gold, and they are almost indistinguishable.

Gold is somewhat brighter in the topnotes, which is no surprise as my Madame Rochas is a good 20 years old, but the notes are spot on.

I'm so glad that I only splashed out for a sample of the Amouage to see what all the fuss was about, as I would be so disappointed if I'd saved and saved for a bottle of Gold and then found out that although it's a nice perfume, it isn't ground breaking or unique.
13th February, 2014
Loro Show all reviews
What a disappointment! I had read the reviews and was looking forward to sampling this, but when the time came it was an overwhelming letdown. To me this is just a decent-ish generic floral, in the vein of No. 5 or Joy, but with none of the panache or loveliness of either. Not bad, certainly, but with so few distinguishing features that I find it hard to know what to say other than firstly it didn't trouble me for long (longevity was about 90 mins on my skin) and secondly, price, hype, emperor's new clothes etc almost led me to give this a negative review, but actually that would have been unfair.

Pros: not unpleasant.
Cons: poor longevity, price.
02nd January, 2014

I was eagerly awaiting my sample because I was sure I would love Gold. Unfortunately, I do not. Opens smooth and golden like a Chanel No.5 extrait - that's the good part ....and then turns lighter , powdery ,even somewhat metallic with a light skank note, on my skin.Most unfortunate but I do not love it and it hates my skin back. So there.
I am sure ,on a different skin , this would shine but not on mine.
12th September, 2010
BayKAT Show all reviews
If considering sampling Gold, you'll want to note the lily of the valley, jasmine and myrrh, which tend to wear sweet when accentuated, and here they are.

Now check your own wardrobe. How many strong white floral aldehydes do you have? Is Chanel n5 in your boudoir? (which is better than this, IMO) What you think about No5 is what you'll think about this.

This is not my genre, and unsurprisingly Gold wears on me like a Fran Drescher monologue. I've sniffed enough Amouage offerings to know that it caters to sweeter scent tastes, so I've never been much of a fan.

I doubt anyone would buy this blind, but even if you are considering a sample do confirm that heavy white florals are on your love list first.
03rd June, 2010
At first application, floral and powdery. Smells fleetingly of Johnsons baby lotion. Soft, comforting, nice. I don't find any one floral note dominent though the rose is more prominent after 15 minutes of wear. Got a bit spicyer as it wore which I liked. Sadly the extreme drydown didn't live up to the opening promise. While I like the fragrance, I find the longevity of it lacking so it's not purchase worthy since sooo expensive.
22nd April, 2010
This was given to me - not my choice and (when it's finished) I won't replace it. It's not that I dislike it exactly, it's just too much of everything - too much (far too much) aldehydes, too much floral. Maybe I may come to love it, but at the moment it's filling a place on my shelf that could hold a bottle of Nahema...
26th February, 2010
Amouage Gold smells very similar to their Dia fragrance with Gold being the lighter of the two lush floral perfumes and having a bit less of the spicy oriental notes. Thanks to the iris and violet notes, Gold has a "cooler" smell than Dia but they both share the same powdery base which is reminiscent of Chanel No. 5. Between the two Amouage perfumes, I have a slight preference for Dia probably due to the presence of bergamot (and the absence of iris) but neither of them are "me" at all. They both seem heavy and rather formal.

Here are the notes for Amouage Gold, as listed on The Perfumed Court: rose, jasmine and lily of the valley, apricot, lime and peach, silver frankincense, myrrh, orris,"rock rose of the desert", ambergris, civet and musk.
03rd December, 2008
rachelsf Show all reviews
High quality and accomplished floral oriental, but just not that interesting. Not a patch on Jubilation XXV.
18th July, 2008
Amouage Gold smells like a vamped-up version of vintage Madame Rochas - and it was created by the same man - Guy Robert.
I think it is over-priced, totally overrated and does not even come close to what a posh perfume named "GOLD" should smell like in my imagination. It's fine, elegant and totally unimpressive. Probably the least interesting in the Amouage-line ( but maybe Eau d'Amouage is even worse).
13th October, 2006 (last edited: 08th October, 2010)