Positive Reviews of Gold Woman by Amouage

Gold Woman is a fancy-pants fragrance, but it's finished and perfected to the point of being a bit unnerving.

Essentially it’s a huge, romantic, classic-style chypre that wears its influences on its sleeve. Yet, it ventures away from the expected materials (amber, moss, bergamot), relying instead on a balsamic myrrh note that’s merged with orris to produce an almost powdery-rich earthy effect. The florals are restrained when compared with other Amouage feminines, but they’re still playing a key role—especially the jasmine, which stands out the most. There’s a soapyness to it, but it’s kept in balance; musks exist, but they're friendly.

This is about as retro as it gets, but it’s brilliantly articulated from top to bottom. Soft, textural, alluring—it out-Chanel’s Chanel. Overall, a very good perfume that could easily be worn by either gender, but it’s too precious—polished to a fault in that it reads like a blueprint for chypres. Something to set it off wouldn’t have gone amiss, but it’s still a touchstone that's impressively rendered given that the usual chypre materials were substituted with alternates.
13th January, 2015
Genre: Floral

To say that Amouage Gold is an immense, indolic-aldehydic white flower composition married to a potent frankincense and seasoned with civet is accurate, but it grossly oversimplifies the impression that this perfume makes. This is a monumental, sumptuous, overstuffed scent that you fall into and wallow in. It’s an operatic composition performed in period costume dripping with velvet, satin, and silk brocade. It’s so opulent that it borders on camp, yet sophisticated enough that it leans back from the brink and stands at the extreme of elegance.

When I think about Gold’s remarkable balancing act, I return again and again to the precise juxtaposition of floral accord and incense. Without the dry lucidity of frankincense Gold would be an obese, sloppy mess of a scent. The frankincense lends not only discipline and structure, but dynamic counterpoint as well, so that Gold exists in a compelling state of tense equilibrium. The scent develops slowly, revealing sweet spices and very soft woods as it ages. The base of woods, ambergris, civet, and labdanum is sensuous but also civilized, and emanates an unusual sense of antique exoticism.

Gold’s sillage and projection are room-filling, so forget about being inconspicuous when wearing this stuff. It’s a perfume for grand entrances and dramatic gestures, not demure restraint or professionalism. Gold is very potent and lasts forever, which might make the outrageous price seem a tiny bit more reasonable. Or maybe not. At any rate, it’s monumental enough of a scent that it’s worth sampling for the experience alone.
09th June, 2014
Luxurious and exotic due to its "castigatory" powdery soapiness. Something in the middle between Hammam Bouquet Penhaligon's, Chanel N.5, Mitsouko Guerlain and La Perla by La Perla under my humble nose, a golden mélange of balsams (myrrh, honey, vanilla, benzoin??), resins (some pine resins in the blend??), may be aldehydes, amber, musk, subtle spices, spacious aromatic elements (coriander, pine needles??), civet, powdery woods, oakmoss and hesperidic patchouli. Supremely classic, rosey and chypre in style, balmy/soapy in its soul but with a carnal vibe and with a really subtle spark of twisting sophistication (a floral spark whereof i detect mostly the rose/jasmine and probably the ylang-ylang rather than properly the lily of the valley). Really sunny, white, honeyed and rich with a vintage elegant powderiness lingering throughout. The magistrally appointed touch of frankincense (combined in chord with balsams, may be cardamom and woody powder as for a sort of Amouage's balanced trademark) provides dustiness, atmosphere and holiness in a conservative way. Rich and dominant as an impalpable Queen. Lingering for hours around, powerful in presence.
06th November, 2013

A re-run of Madame Rochas - rich, floral rose bouquet

Guy Robert created one of the greatest florals ever, in Madame Rochas. So now he just re-runs the same formula under a different name and they charge a small fortune for it. This is a case of Emperor's New Scent. Buy the inexpensive Madame Rochas and forget about Amouage Gold - quel rip-off!

Star quality for quality of scent!!!

Pros: Identical to the classic rose-dominated floral, Madame Rochas
Cons: Outrageously high pricing"

15th October, 2013
Gold is the fragrance I've been looking for my whole and long life. It makes no statement, says nothing about who I am and has not one whisper of aggression. It simply smells divine--warm, soft and refined. I've had cars that cost less than my bottle of Gold and I use it much more sparingly than I'd like but my frequent shopping trips to find the perfume of my dreams have become celebrations of my precious bottle of Gold.
07th May, 2013
Powdery, powdery, beautiful florals, including a great lily of the valley, incense and wood later on. Rich, heavy and sweet on my skin.
26th April, 2013
This one bore a family resemblance to Nahema (particularly in the drydown), so I had to go and spray them side by side and compare. There are differences of course – Gold is less sweet at the start, has none of the explosive velocity of Nahema’s top, has the clean frankincense (that rapidly fades) which is the Amouage signature, has a greater suggestion of sandalwood in the base with none of the almond. But it still smells derivative and without the exuberance of the earlier creation. The white florals were a bit lost on me, this being mainly about the aldehydic rose, so the huge bouquet that others get from this was flung beyond my reach. It’s lovely, no doubt about it, and belongs to a pull-out-all-stops school of perfumery that occasionally can achieve such grandeur.
On second thoughts…
On the other hand, given cool weather and clean skin, this blooms beautifully and offers a little glimpse of heaven. I have been truly surprised by how this claims its own space over repeat wearings – becoming reassuringly familiar without losing its luxurious feel. All comparisons with Nahema seem beside the point now.
On third thoughts…
I spray on wayyyy too much one day (spending it at home on my own) and am in pulsating bliss. I walk through the rooms feeling ‘I am da Gold bomb’.
20th December, 2012
My quest is over - if I never smell another perfume ever, this is Nirvana for me . (I wear Lyric during the daytime, Gold and Jubilation 25 share night time duties )-so soft, so close to the skin, caressing , loving and above all, kind . I bought all three in one go, shelling out £600 for smells - it was worth every single penny . The soft top notes of Gold are Rock Rose, (labdanum) the huge floral accord which is strange because I never used to like florals, closer in my opinion to a sophisticated Rive Gauche than say, Chanel no 5. There is a familiarity that I cannot pin point but maybe that's the Rive Gauche factor . Oh, I adore this , I cannot use all the fancy, schmancy perfumista words to describe it because that would be disrespectful to Guy Robert - Guy, this is/was your Opus , please Amourage, please NEVER EVER play with this formulation because perfection needs no adjustments .
02nd July, 2012
this is the most demanding female parfume i have smelled. it is like a cloud of 100 layers that constanly chnage their order, like some whirpool, this smell is really 3 dimensional, what gives it this depth is i would say animalic civet note, nothing you usually smell in rose parfumes, this makes it hard to digest to many people
to me it gives problem after3-4 hours, when the drydown kicks in and its really not suited for the office on warm days :) everyone will start opening windows :),
still it is beautiful , RICH decadent parfume , i am lucky that i own pre 2011 version, and it smells luxuryous, strong and classic....
i own it becasue i admire its dinamic nature and luxury that no other female parfume holds, only the drydown has more pronounced animalic note that can be suffocating to some people. so this really is only night parfume! and worked best for me in winter time
23rd February, 2012 (last edited: 26th September, 2012)
mumsy Show all reviews
I have just bought Amouage Gold and i think it is a beautiful and classic perfume, ranking perfectly happily alongside Chanel 5. It has the powdery floral start with the creamy rich undertones of precious resins and woods. There is no sharpness on my skin. It certainly doesn't stand out, but I don't expect it was meant to. It is opulent and quietly beautiful. I can see a rich sultans wife wearing this, wafting sarees of beautiful colours in the noon heat.
23rd September, 2011
Not good at picking out notes, but I'll try to describe as best I can. Opens LARGE with flowers, rich, heady, opulent, intoxicating. Settles down after about 20 minutes and then envelopes you in the most enchanting, feminine scent. Wearing Gold is like falling into a million silk pillows, just very comforting, inviting and beautiful. Some have written that it is a "special occasion" scent. I disagree. I think you can wear this any time you want to smell fabulous, even if it's just picking up the groceries. Why not? Used to give me headaches which was bad for me, now I find I can wear it, which will be bad for my pocketbook!! Lasts a long time even on skin. If you tend to like full blown, womanly, fragrances that scream quality, run don't walk to get this. Thank you Monsieur Robert!
11th August, 2010

At last an Amouage I can love. In a distant way it reminds me of my heretofore favorite Amouage – Silver Crystal for Men (unfortunately discontinued), but it’s much warmer and even more sensuous. Amouage Gold features a rich, complex, and refined exoticness, an ostentatious elegance that is the very definition of luxury. It is a fragrance of intense substance, rich in indolic jasmine, sensuous rose, ancient resins, lascivious civet, and elegant woods, and it handles these aromatic divas with incredible finesse and control – none of them throws a tantrum, although some, like the civet, come close to presenting an overly histrionic display. The notes seem to luxuriate forever in their procession from the opening though the base. The drydown is the most elegant and sensuous notes eternalizing its classic formulation and its expansive reach. I don’t care for the other available Amouge fragrances, but this one is extraordinarily impressive and… perfect…

10th May, 2010
My very generous best friend was kind enough to give me one of her samples of Amouage Gold. And I do mean "generous," since this fragrance is priced between $200-$500 per bottle. Upon first spraying my initial reaction was that this could quickly develop into one of those heavy, cloying kind of oriental fragrances, but after only a couple of minutes I was enveloped in a lovely, soft, powdery, elegant, and sensual blanket of warmth. It made me so relaxed, I wanted to nap (don't know if that's good or bad--I guess no operating heavy machinery for me). I did apply this sparingly, though, which may have made a difference. Yes, it's expensive, but, in my opinion, it's worth every penny!
28th February, 2010

It's nine pm and I have been wearing Amouage Gold since lunch time. At the beginning of "our story" the fragrance struk me as a bunch of flowers offered at a first date. After a couple of hours AG covered my shoulders with the warm notes of a woollen scarf. In the afternoon it invited me for a smoky, musky and flavoured tea. Here on my sofa this evening it is still hugging me and it is now as creamy as a cup of hot, white chocolate. With this parfume I'll never feel alone again. I'm in love.
18th January, 2010
What can i say ? I just LOVE it ! I got a gift for my birthday in 2005 ... december 1 ... it is finished :( i am going to get a new one ...GIFT FOR MY SELF :)
08th September, 2009
memories Show all reviews
Gold it is , rose , Frankincense and myrrh are really a Heavanly combination. I feel that this must be the smell of angels. The rose is most prominent to my nose . I feel enveloped in pure silk velvet when wearing this beauty.
21st March, 2009

tha arabs are very proud of their traditions and they are conscious of themselves and their culture.
yet they are open,curious and respectful towards the achievements of other cultures.
and this is what gives them this royal aura of someone who knows who he is and who is able to learn from others without decieving his own roots.
this respect and consciousness make them so strong.
they accept and learn the best from others without giving up their own identity.
a rare and royal talent.
just as royal and rare is the fragrance that came out of the finest essences of oman and the light hand of guy robert who applied all his art of creating a fragrance worthy of a queen at heart.
it is a fragrance of undoubtless luxury and sophistication.
it is too fine to hide it's glory but too elegant to slap you with its richness.it is neither hiding nor showing off its excellence. warm and full flower accords with the green rock rose and francinsense,ever so rich but never overdone.
a royal highness.
i love it
29th August, 2008
Feels like Chanel does Ancient. Aldehydes on top of rich, complex florals and resins. Classic, will probably not appease a contemporary nose. I save this for very special events.
14th August, 2008
Leesee Show all reviews
This has an unbelievable warmth and fullness. I have read some reviews of this scent on other blogs that indicate this is a "special occasion" scent -- I disagree. A little goes a long way, yes, but the scent, applied in moderation, is feminine, lush, and very wearable.
19th July, 2008 (last edited: 25th August, 2011)
This is divine. Very sweet. Some people say it smells like baby powder, I think rather it smells like soap. That said, it's not like soap at all. Unless it's a million dollar soap, Amouage Gold is much richer, but very calm and relaxing. Like a dream.
08th February, 2006
My love, my love, my one and only. Never again shall I stray! I shall henceforth spurn the company of others, so that I might spend my days in adulatory contemplation of your magnificent splendor!

Umm...or maybe not. But close. Very, very close. This is the one scent that sometimes makes me wonder why I would ever buy anything else. To be honest, Amouage Gold is what brought me into a whole new level of fragrance appreciation. I first fell in love with the women's Gold, and then, in rapid order, the men's. After joining basenotes I thought that perhaps it was just my first foray into true quality and niche fragrances, and that after sampling other high quality fragrances I would find it less attractive. But no. I have sampled far and wide, and found many other lovely and well crafted fragrances, but none have surpassed Amouage Gold's splendor. Amouage Gold for Women still is, and will probably always be, my holy grail.

Amouage Gold for women begins with lovely, intoxicating, and decadent jasmine and orris. Rock rose blends in lightly, lending a slight balsamic tone. Precious silver frankincense, prized since biblical times, brings an air of mystery and awe. Civet and musk reveal themselves slowly, growing increasingly powerful as this complex fragrance develops. Heady, rich, complex, and opulent, there is no fragrance as sensual as Amouage Gold.

When it comes to sillage and longevity, you cannot ask for a better scent than this. Lasts all day, and often well into the next, even on the skin, and you're going to have to wash it out of clothes! The absolutely incredible silage will turn heads in wonder.

Sample first, due to the somewhat exorbitant price, but I swear to you it is worth every last penny!
22nd August, 2005