Positive Reviews of Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

Find out more about Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

Annick Goutal’s “honeysuckle” is all sweetness and light: crisp citrus, lively greens, and the most delicate, transparent floral notes imaginable. It’s really too green, too tart, and too effervescent to smell much like honeysuckle blossoms, and what I get instead are tomato leaf, lemon, cardamom, a moist, crystalline green jasmine, perhaps some anise, and a touch of hay or narcissus. The resulting accord sets a bright summer morning mood that’s perfectly consistent with honeysuckle. It’s devastatingly pretty, but completely innocent, ebullient, and weightless.

In fact, Le Chèvrefeuille smells so bright and buoyant that it seems to have no base notes. Defying gravity in this manner exacts a price in longevity, and it should come as no surprise that Goutal’s Le Chèvrefeuille endures for no more than two hours on the skin. Thing is, this smiling scent is such pleasant company while it lasts that I really can’t bring myself to knock it. Instead I think I’ll just put on some more.

19th June, 2014

k.h.kew's avatar

Perhaps my favourite fragrance of all time? (Top 3 anyway!) This scent is happiness, sunlight, femininity, warmth, freedom and a cool breeze all in one bottle. This scent is natural, fresh, slightly floral and slightly citrusy, and in no way synthetic. This scent is being outdoors on a beautiful summer morning. True to the trend of Annick Goutal fragrances, longevity is dismal. But with something so beautiful, does it really matter? Catch these golden butterflies as they flutter amongst plumes of flowering honeysuckle whenever you can.

19th April, 2014

mnaonbn's avatar

Magnolia blossom, not honeysuckle

It’s a very good approximation of magnolia blossom, but not honeysuckle

12th July, 2013

lastgoodday's avatar

i like this scent very much, it's light, sweet (but not too sweet), and very refreshing. unfortunately it lasts all of 30 seconds on my skin ... as is the case with many other goutal fragrances.

18th January, 2013

ladymurasaki's avatar

What a beautiful rendition of honeysuckle! I love its light, summery scent. It reminds me of tea with lemon on a balmy summer afternoon.

09th May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Le Chevrefeuille is an extremely green scent, almost bitter but lovely all the same.

For those who aren't usually wearers of green fragrances, this may take a while to get acquainted with. Le Chevrefeuille is actually quite delicate and fresh. The honeysuckle, jasmine and narcissus gives this scent an unusual femininity while the petit grain creates an interesting grassy and herbaceous finish.

The lemon is quite dominant alongside the honeysuckle, however this isn't sour citruses, it's more fresh and energizing, with a definite 'zing'.

Oddly enough this fragrance is not sweet. It's rich and quite brash. I disagree with those reviewers that call this a simplistic scent, I think there's a lot going on which makes it very complex for me.

All in all this is a very luscious and happy fragrance which would wear wonderfully in Spring and Summer. The lasting strength is so-so in my opinion, not terrible but certainly not as lasting as other Annick Goutal's that I've tried. If it's possible to get Le Chevrefeuille in eau de parfum concentration then disregard the price tag because that would be your best option.

15th June, 2011

teardrop's avatar

England England

This is how honeysuckle would smell on a fresh, spring morning, rather than in the full heat of summer. lt's uplifting, pretty & lemony-fresh, rather than honeyed & heady. lt has better sillage than other Goutals that l've tried, & although it it lasts only around two hours, l'm happy to re-apply. lf l decide to purchase a honeysuckle fragrance in the future, this is the one l'll go for. Simply lovely!

08th February, 2011

Le Chevrefeuille is a very well done green honeysuckle scent. It boasts a honeysuckle note that is more tamed than the honeysuckle I’ve smelled in several other fragrances. This one is a softer floral note with a beautiful green lilt to it. I get a quiet jasmine note in the background that gives the honeysuckle note an aura of warmth. The scent is quite delicate and short-lived… making it typical of many Annick Goutal scents. Beautiful scent… doesn’t last… but it’s beautiful.

05th December, 2010

JenniferinSB's avatar

Date of creation : 2002
    Olfactory family: Floral
    Composition: wild narcissus, a blade of lemon petit grain, fresh green notes, touch of jasmine

This is exactly what this scent smells like. You have to add in the magical touch of Camille Goutal, to Annick Goutals line of fragrance. All of AG's scents have some mystery ingrediant, perhaps it is the name, Annick Goutal, to all of thier scents. As with almost all of AG's women's perfumes, I find I have to wear it and go through the unfolding from beginning to end, of each journey of fragrance. The best way to imagine thier perfumes is as if they were music. There is a beginning, a middle and an end to each. If you are not looking for an experience through your fragrance, AG may not be for you. But if you are, be prepared for a beautiful journey.

I love the fresh, clean, airy feeling of Le Chèvrefeuille. I also enjoy the soft drydown as it slowly disappears like the sun going down on a breezy spring day with the flowers all in bloom.

18th January, 2010

derad's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

I fell in love with it at the first sniff. Later the fragrance gets softer and round, it emanates fresh and light breeze coming from the green garden with a touch of fruit. It kind of elates and lights me up.
    I purchased it despite the feminine dedication - once it's good enough for my nose it's good enough for my maleness :)

18th July, 2009

Hema's avatar

I plough through the Goutal range, trying to find a new favourite but I find myself drawn to this scent every time. Its blatantly obvious; the joy of it flows out of me and Im beaming uncontrollably. I thought I liked flower scents to smell just like the actual flower but to me this is more interesting because it is 'fizzy'. As if someone placed a handful of honeysuckle flowers into a bowl of fizzy water and then thrown in a few Refreshers sweets! It lends it an ethereal, dreamy quality which I find appealing in a fragrance though I wish the sillage could be improved. If they could invent a Chevrefeuille Soir or a twin sister for it, Id love to see if it could be perhaps a bit less transparent.

13th May, 2009

Nukapai's avatar

The opening is a singing, fresh olfactory image of a flower stem, goes a little grassy and then transforms to a bitter citrus (like the skin of an unripe white grapefruit). Absolutely refreshing, very, very nice - though not really a lot like actual honeysuckle (at least not like the ones I'm growing). I find that the real honeysuckle tends to have a honeyed, milky element in there. There is a slight downer about this scent; the longevity is poor.

12th January, 2009

Heartwood's avatar

This honeysickle worried me before I consented to try it because indolic scents usually do not behave on my skin. However, it quickly settled into a fairly nice straightforward floral. White florals are typically not my thing for the above reason, but this is well done and it definitely didn't go funky on me like most do, which is quite an accomplishment in my opinion. I wouldn't purchase it because it doesn't suit my personality, but I do appreciate the quality.

23rd August, 2008

chengfun's avatar

I really like honesuckle. I liked this immediately when I tried it for the first time. It is light and fresh, great for humid days. The honeysuckle note is also noticeable to me in Pure White Linen but it is a much heavier fragrance than this. Even though this is marketed as a feminine fragrance it is not too floral, so I agree with MonkeyManMatt that it can definitely be unisex. Being an EDT the longevity could be better but it is definitely bottle-worthy.

22nd August, 2008

lovelylavender's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

This is my first contact with Annick Goutal's perfumes since it's not easy to get one of them here in Indonesia. Among what they have: Gardenia Passion, Passion, Eau de Charlotte, I pick this. This one make me fall in love instantly.

It is very simple, I realize. But this one also beautiful. Simple, flowery scent for everyday wear. I can imagine a simple girl, from small city, walking with flower print dress wear this one.

28th April, 2008

indiajuliet's avatar

I love this frag, although its simplicity can be disconcerting. That's where the beauty of it resides, however. The honeysuckle is tempered with some green notes and not much else. Lasting power is poor, and to counteract this I apply a great deal to start off, which makes the green notes a bit shrill. They do calm down well. Definitely a light, spring fragrance, suitable for casual stuff, although I wore it last night to my office Christmas party with a floor-length gown and a massive multi-bead choker. It's so simple, you can take it anywhere and it doesn't misbehave.

09th December, 2007

Abramente's avatar

Wonderful spring and summer fragrance. Truly captures the scent of blooming honeysuckle, but with a bit of a undertone of ?green tea? that adds a bit of complexity. Just wish it lasted longer.

27th October, 2006

ComDiva's avatar

A delightful, straight-up honeysuckle scent. Very light and clean. I combine this with The Thymes Ginger Milk for a spicy-floral extravaganza, or by itself in the very early Spring when we're all just aching for a reminder of what's to come.

22nd October, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

By no means only suitable for the ladies, this very traditional honeysuckle fragrance is definitely unisex. Extremely simple "one-noter" that still manages to shine thanks to the super quality and natural feel of it. Refreshing and dry, think Fahrenheit but without the petrol-accord + more floral overall character. A bit pricey perhaps for what it is, but a very neat juice for carefree summer wear.

10th May, 2006