Reviews of Artemisia by Penhaligon's

Find out more about Artemisia by Penhaligon's in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Wild Gardener's avatar

England England

The first thing to say is it's not artemisia.
    A synthetic pink floral opening fades to a totaly unrelated powerful rough white musk, which annoyiingly goes on for ages.
    A badly conceived structure excecuted in a sloppy way.
    Crass.

04th January, 2014

odysseusm's avatar

Head Notes: Nectarine and Green Foliage
    Heart Notes: Green Apple, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine Tea, Violet and Vanilla
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber and Vanilla

Very, very sweet. Smells like a makeup case. Powdery. Very feminine in style.
    Seems a bit old-fashioned or old-school, like something someone's auntie might wear.
    Pleasant for its style.

03rd October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A fluidy tea note projects out at the beginning a very light and musky floral blast that is so natural and airy. Some undiscerned dried fruits are mixed in the blend together with some tasty spices embracing the natural elements with a certain level of almost edible appeal. The smell is so romantic and quiet as a colored garden of Provence under the delicate spring sun, barely funned by the whiffs of the breeze. The florals are ethereal and natural, never too angular or too lymphatic. After a couple of hours the delicate floral vibe tends to fade towards a smooth ambery and musky bed that envelops the fruity-floral amalgam with a touch of woody powder. The outcome is so airy and silent as a sunny late spring afternoon of the farm. Not bad at all with this poetic creation.

26th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2014)

N_Tesla's avatar

Artemisia is one of only two fragrances from Penheligon that I find bottle worthy. Others here have don a good job of describing it, so I will add my voice as one who finds Artemisia a very pleasant addition to my wardrobe. I find it wearable by les hommes.

28th March, 2011

Weimar27's avatar

I can smell the predominace of apple
    and the faint smell of Vanilla those
    two scents dominate the other notes
    some people have an talent to seperate
    the other notes easely i have i bit of an hard time with it I Can smell Eather
    2 notes or 3 notes out of 12.
    this is one of the Plain Jane scent
    from my collection a bit dull.

09th October, 2010

nenuquito's avatar

For the short amount of time that this supposed 'Eau de Parfum' lasts it is rather lovely. An envelope of fresh fruity sweetness and warm vanilla, its easy to see why it would be popular. For all those ladies who love the typical 'fruity-floral' high street fragrance Artemisia should definitely be given a try. It can sometimes be a bit tinny and artificial however, and this can prove more likely by the fact that it will demand repeated applications because it is so fleeting or compulsive in equal measure.

This downplay does however make it an ideal fragrance for those who want to avoid something strong, as it probably the lightest of the houses' scents.Delicate, feminine and soft, it would be worth trying to see how it lasts.

19th November, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

A slight, moderately entertaining fragrance that fades quickly from the memory. There is little to criticize other than its brevity, but it lacks the sure-footed conviction required to make its mark. With its subtlety, it might be well suited to warmer climes, but why wear it at all. A decidely average fragrance that dribbles away all too rapidly

04th July, 2009

plumeria's avatar

This smells a lot like Cashmere Mist. I owned and finished a bottle of CM, and every once in a while I long to have another bottle. I've recently finished a sample of Artemisia, and found it so similar, but more refined than CM. CM sometimes became cloying on me, and I think that would not happen with Artemisia. I do like Artemisia and would probably wear it frequently. But Artemisia is more expensive, and I haven't decided if it's worth it to me. I do like Artemisia's bottle better.

13th June, 2009

JackTwist's avatar

This is one of my favorite Penhaligon's scents. Although it contains 11 listed ingredients, the result is a very pleasant dry reedy scent underlined with vanilla and a hint of amber. It is wonderful as a summer scent and its soap, talc and lotion embodiments have a permanent home for summer use. Highly recommended.

Top Notes: Nectarine; Green Foliage
    Middle Notes: Green Apple; Lily of the Valley; Jasmine Tea; Violet; Vanilla
    Base Notes: Oakmoss; Sandalwood; Musk; Amber; Vanilla

21st January, 2009 (Last Edited: 13th July, 2011)

DawnLady's avatar

This is very light after the first blast - literally 'barely there' - but it is pretty. It develops into a soft, powdery, gentle, slightly oriental fragrance which lasts much longer than I expected it too. Lovely if you don't like overpowering perfumes or don't want to annoy anyone, but you do need to apply quite a lot if you want to notice it at all (unless that is just my bottle or my nose!)

13th December, 2008

Very light, fruity floral opening… delicate and subtle: This is such a transparent floral accord in the opening and the heart notes that I can’t determine the individual flowers: What I experience is a softened mixed floral – the olfactory version of an impressionistic garden landscape. I can tell that the carrying agent is tea… Penhaligon says there is jasmine tea. The base is a vanilla / musk with soft spices that responds beautifully on my skin… I don’t get any sandalwood in the base. Aartemesia is not noticeably sweet to my nose: I think its sweetness is perfectly balanced with the floral and tea elements. Of course, a fragrance as ethereal as this has limited sillage and I wouldn’t have it any other way. For the type of fragrance it is, it seems to have better longevity than expected.

22nd November, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

Artemisia is a genteel floral perfume that calls to mind a scent that Maid Marian might have worn in the mid 1500's in rural England while roaming the countryside with Robin Hood et al. It wears nicely on the skin and has a pleasant, quality smell that highlights jasmine and lily of the valley in lovely traditional way. I think Artemisia would be a wonderful fragrance to give a young girl (ages 12-14) who shows a budding interest in perfumery. Last of all, who can resist such a classically gorgeous bottle?

Here are Artemisia's notes, courtesy of Penhaligon's website: Top Notes: Nectarine and Green Foliage; Middle Notes: Green Apple, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine, Tea, Violet and Vanilla; Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber and Vanilla.

23rd June, 2008

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Artemisia is an extremely dull floral with some annoyingly sharp and "fresh" notes on a cheap sweet vanilla base. Yawn. Smells like a tenth of the price and even then I wouldn't buy it. Wouldn't call this related to Endymion in any way, since Endymoin is actually a decent fragrance.

08th June, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

Penhaligon’s website declares that Artemisia is the ‘aromatic partner to Endymion’ and I would agree. They both are sensual and creamy fragrances, built on different notes, Endymion with a more masculine character and Artemisia the feminine. I must say that I am impressed with Artemisia and wished it were more popular than it seems to be. It has nice floral and fruity elements and what especially appeals to me is how well executed the nectarine is in the opening – very nice! I think it is a good one for a lady. For reference, here are the notes per Penhaligon’s website:

Head Notes: Nectarine and Green Foliage
    Heart Notes: Green Apple, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine Tea, Violet and Vanilla
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber and Vanilla

01st June, 2008

Tovah's avatar

Artemisia is absolutely exquisite in a delicate, ethereal, very feminine way. It smells like a Victorian garden, filled with pink and white and yellow flowers, and white wicker furniture, on a soft, warm day. It's very summery, light, and sweet. I wish it were a bit stronger and had better lasting power, but it's so pretty it's worth applying a lot. Notes are nectarine, jasmine tea, lily, green foliage, vanilla, woods, and amber. The tea-vanilla-amber drydown is especially wonderful.

01st November, 2007

Quarry's avatar

According to Penhaligon: "Oriental notes chime with jasmine, vanilla, violet, and nectarines, while beneath, precious sandalwood, musk, and amber add mystery and intrigue."

Now, Penny, don't you think that's exaggerating this frag's range a little? If such a melange of notes is present, its members speak in a singular voice, and I think its fair to title that entity Artemisia because wormwood is the closest effect it radiates, at least by my olfactory experience. However, I've read that real wormwood is supposed to be bitter, and this is slightly sweet. At any rate, the impression is owed to something from roots or bark.

Part of the top notes' instant appeal to me is that they're not too high pitched, emanating from the same "musical key signature" as something like sassafrass root (although not quite as sweet). As pleasant as those top notes are for me, after a couple hours I find myself tapping my foot and asking, much like Peggy Lee, "Is that all there is?" Oh, Artie, Is this relationship going anywhere? The more I explore for some gratification from the base notes, the less reward I find. What's this now--potato peelings? Aw shucks, the honeymoon's over.

13th October, 2006