Positive Reviews of Bijan by Bijan

Find out more about Bijan by Bijan in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

babsbendix's avatar

When I first sniffed Bijan I got a big wave of nostalgia - I remember when everybody smelled of more multi-textured scents like this one.

I experience it as a counterpoint between orange blossom and cumin over an amber-y base, the end result being an orange blossom honey-ish smell.

It can be pretty extraordinary if it happens to work with your chemistry.

I first got hooked on Bijan wearing the (very inexpensive) modern EDT, and became curious about the vintage EDP. Now in possession of both versions, I do see why many people prefer the vintage - by comparison, the EDT is thin, and its finish is orange blossom soapy, though I wouldn't have thought to say either of those things about it until smelling the vintage.

Opening the vintage bottle, I could smell first and foremost a big blast of cumin, which doesn't strike me as body odor, just as...cumin, because I cook a lot of Moroccan and Indian dishes! This opening's not "pretty", yet it really does convey spice markets and heat, which I find appealing. As it develops, it's a round and lush floriental that smells of its time, yet I think it translates perfectly well for a woman or a man today.

I've kept my EDT, and now sometimes use it to spray in the house since it's about the only thing I have that complements the lingering smells of fenugreek, cumin, and turmeric from the previous night's dinner!

22 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2014)

rttoronto's avatar

Sandalwood incense. Period. Those may not be the official notes but that is the combined result. It's gorgeous and very wearable by men. I am a guy and this scent is kind of like my little secret. I get compliments all the time. If you love sandalwood incense then you can't go wrong with this.

02 February, 2012

I think that I derive my appreciation for Bijan from the surprise it causes that it isn’t an over the top, obnoxiously loud super-‘80s bomb as its male counterpart might be labeled. It is a pleasant, rather soft, amber Oriental that is probably too powdery for today’s tastes. More than a few times I have complimented a woman on her fragrance only to be told that it was Bijan. I think it is the kind of fragrance that is appreciated more from the sillage it produces than from direct smelling of the accords on paper or on the skin. This is the type of fragrance that must be applied discreetly – too much is definitely too much, so apply with a subtle hand,

27 July, 2009

greengrl's avatar

I bought this on a whim. I was expecting to not like this perfume but was surprised at the scent that I got. It was a soft, almost soapy smell. It dries down to a nice subtle scent. Not something that I would consider remarkable but a fragrance good for everyday use.

14 August, 2008

lefay's avatar

I wore this for a few years before getting into more esoteric and challenging fragrances. I must say that although it's a straightforward warm woody floral without any particularly interesting quirks (other than the noticeable patchouli note), it always elicited compliments. The more concentrated forms are richer and deeper than (preferable to, in my view) the EDT.

09 November, 2005