Positive Reviews of Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Find out more about Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

CactusCath's avatar
    CactusCath

This is "my" scent; I'm so grateful it came along when I was a young woman. It becomes wonderful on my skin, and I rarely wear anything else. From reading the other posts, I think it might work best on dry skin.

17 February, 2014

ChellyBird's avatar
    ChellyBird

Easy to wear, quite girly and light, it's more of day perfume rather than evening

31st January, 2014

anomie et ivoire's avatar
    anomie et ivoire

I oversprayed in zealous enjoyment while still a beginner and thought this a synthetic glorified femine hygiene monster. Sprayed instead on freshly cleaned skin and in colder air, such austere beauty. The perfect scent for a cloistered poetess in Amherst or a governess in love with her tragic benefactor. As a moony-eyed high school art goth I wore Demeter's Funeral Home. Anais Anais is the quintessential goth girl perfume in sheep's clothing, as it takes those lillies and carnations central to Funeral Home and burns sweet sad incense in a soft leather-gloved hand, blowing away dust to make way for stark powder and milky green stems. Put the marketing, iconic as it is, aside and disregard the teenage girl demographic. Anais Anais is most of all literary in that it is linear, associative, bittersweet, concerned with love and death but couched in accessible metaphor, wise but virginal though not too youthful. The namesake Nin's writings I do not detect anywhere in mood or vision, hers an entirely sexualized world. This commercial perfume sold in plastic and largely unchanged since its creation is more spiritual. And more than any of these literary figures evoked, no Lolita here for me in the least by the way--she is much more Angel, I have to recite some of Ophelia's lines during any wearing. Nunneries, primrose paths, morbid mad tragic wistful love. The literary gothic romance.

21st November, 2012

LondonGirl's avatar
    LondonGirl

I was given this in 2001, and had not tried it before, despite it being around for so long. I love it; it is a warm comforting sent, somehow reassuring. It is another fragrance that I would call “well crafted”, the notes working in harmony. I would not have thought I would have liked it, if I had looked at the notes first, very floral for me, but something about it just works, in my view a classic.

24 September, 2012

Cricketkitty's avatar
    Cricketkitty

Wore this to death around 1982. It is completely white floral, I get nothing of the sandalwood or incense on this, but the drydown is fantastic. I associate this with young women, first weddings, etc. If you can get some of the bath gel on Ebay, be sure to grab it, because it almost smells better than the perfume.

02 September, 2012

emelle's avatar
    emelle

it is like lots of flower surrounds you. clean and young.

03 July, 2012

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

I have discovered that for me, a scent must have spice to be worth wearing. This one is very light but oh, so nice.

Carnations and incense with lots of powder. Very feminine, youthful and soft.
    Lovely.

05 January, 2012

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

You know I had to wear this about 5 times before I could get it...to me this is a very white incense fragrance. If you are an incense fanatic this is one for your collection because it is such a different use of incense. This scent is very charming and innocent and somewhat fascinating, aside from being iconic.

19 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 August, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

The breeze is light, the early afternoon is heavenly and indolent, the air is delicate and smells of rose, the white lacy dressed and soapy smelling young women take their brunch under the trees near the flowery clearing of the college's garden.

04 March, 2011

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

This is a timeless, ageless floral, a fresh, soapy lily with an undercurrent of peppery spice to give it depth. l wore this on my wedding day in 1990, (l'm now divorced) & received a mini in a set for Christmas a couple of years back. l enjoyed wearing it again, but it's time has passed for me. l would however recommend this for floral lovers of any age to try.

07 February, 2011

blues singer's avatar
    blues singer

I have worn this fragrance for to 32 years..wow. I was discussing with my son today who is 22, his experience ala Al Pacino with a woman at a cocktail lounge recently. (he loves this story) He met an older woman, and as she was leaving he held his hand out like the gentleman he has grown to be. and she hugged his neck briefly. He put his face close to her neck and in that moment as I am sure he will every single time he smells this scent his whole life (as his mother has worn it his entire life) he inhales, leans very closely to her ear and whispers.. Anais anais......quietly. ahhh so sweet. She virtually swoons and he says.(and yes he is gorgeous, a german gyspy..) ahhh the scent of a jazz bar, the scent of unknown things the scent that will fool a man, .. when he thinks he has you pegged... the undertones the essence, the basenote of the mystery of this scent comes forth.. She of course hands him her room key(how could she not?!)and he declines.. my son. a jazz blues guitarist. his mama a jazz singer. a blues singer my whole life. My child says mama, that smell is like home, and love and warmth and beauty and Paris. I took him to the factory there. or was it Nice? or GRASSE..well France!darnit
    so. we make an experiment this Christmas night... WHAT is it that makes this smell so very compelling.. what is the mystery that has held me captive my entire life, hence my googling the overtones undertones of this scent that is part of me,.and my child. I couldnt explain it.. I tired to before I found the answer.. I said "Steffen I always think I wont like it anymore, or that I wont be swept away every time I smell it.. I've tried to wear other perfumes throughtout the years. well not that much yet. this is the way I descibed it. so clean so floral and yet WHAT was that undertone that made it umm not patchulesque.. but something... something like incense. Now I know. how could I have not?.. sandlewood. yes of course.. How brillant is that? an otherwise boring old lady scent... the sandlewood changes it all. It fools you. it encaptures and compels.
    I have a tattoo of that flower. If you knew me Im not the kind to wax profound over perfume.. maybe a sunset, mayhap the look of love in one I love as well. but perfume. Yet.. that is the way of it. In this lifetime it will be the scent of me, my memories my loves.. and in my sons and his children as he told me tonight(naturally he gave it to me for my Christmas present.) he said"mama, I will keep your bottles and I will show my children and they will know how my mama smelled and how much I love you. mom. My grandchildren will know much like my son does about my mother.. something intimate and singular to me..
    and yes sister, who posted before me,with such eloquence, it does indeed smell like a smokey jazz bar in Paris and yes the fishnet stockings would naturally be there. and yes. there is more to us than meets the eye.
    Merry Christmas all.
    May you meet Mystery at every corner, with joy and expectation and may there be more to you as well.. than meets the eye.
    sweetly
    sara

26 December, 2010

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar
    Jitterbug Perfume Lover

I had to have this fragrance after I found out it was named for Anais Nin. I'm a huge fan, so I knew the perfume had to be great to live up to the name. After so many years, I still love it and I still have to wear it every now and then. It reminds of me of reading "Delta of Venus" the first time in my teens. It's like wearing amethyst lavender-colored velvet on my skin. It's the Mona Lisa's smile. It's not that innocent; there's a definite sweetness at first, but if you look closely into her eyes you'll see that spicyness, that latent heat just ready to be released. It's like Paris in the 1930s in the springtime in a hidden speakeasy jazz club, and I'm just itching to do the jitterbug, but I won't just get up and dance because I want to appear ladylike, but after a few drinks I probably will anyway and then you'll find out that I've got on black fishnets under my gown......

My best friend moved away and when she recently visited, she went into my bathroom and saw all my perfume and she said to me, "I love you most because you are the kind of woman who still loves Anais Anais. It's a classic that no one ever really appreciates anymore except you and I, and I love you for that."

31st July, 2010

ebbtide's avatar
    ebbtide

American girls get Love's Baby Soft, French girls get Anais Anais. Life is unfair.

I am well past the age of its intended demographic, but I can apply this soft floral and feel a bit younger. It's really lovely.

25 June, 2010

bookwyrmsmith's avatar
    bookwyrmsmith

I first tried the EDT bought at TJMaxx under $20 .I didn't love or hate it but wanted somthing more than just okay.I had thought the top notes nice and the base notes but not the middle heart notes.Then I had a winning bid online for 14 assorted minis Anais Anais was one of them but inEDP form.Now I have "seen the light " with this fragrance ! I'll have to get a full bottle and check for a perfume strength I love the ambery dry down from a chypreish floral.Thumbs up for EDP and higher neutral for EDT or lower.

27 May, 2010

olenska's avatar
    olenska

As a teenager, my younger sister pledged herself to this perfume so thoroughly that even her bedroom color scheme -- apricot, sage, and forest green -- mirrored the Anais Anais package design. This might have smacked of safe conformity during the 1970's, but for a high-school girl in 1988 it amounted to a revolutionary manifesto. While all her friends subscribed to the horrid, clean-cut, sporty stylings of Colors of Bennetton, she shimmered in a cloud of archaic sandalwood and powdery rose. Wearing this scent, she could stand apart from the crowd while still managing to stay safely conventional. An interesting form of camouflage, hiding a slightly subversive heart

30th January, 2010

louisadee's avatar
    louisadee
    New Zealand New Zealand

Nice and summery. I personally find in inoffensive and cute. Definately one to have on the dressing table.

15 April, 2009

Lily from the Forest's avatar
    Lily from the Forest
    Netherlands Netherlands

Its sweet, innocent, creamy, girly and -to my surprise- gets better every minute on my skin.

Great for: Summerdays of wandering around in a white dress and little make up.

Not so great with: Smokey eyes, black clothing, sex, trying to flirt with a guy, just about everything that has to do with female power, because the scent is just waaaay too innocent. Say anything beyond the imagination of a 13-year old girl and the scent doesn't suit you anymore.

Thumbs up because its a well-balanced good smell. The fact that every grown up woman with brains can't really pull it off is a whole different story.

13 April, 2009

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

After many years since my first spritz, I tried this again. What a bright little floral! It is like putting your nose into a bouquet of wildflowers without any of the greenery and "do-dads" that go with those bouquets from the florist. It is an uncomplicated, light & airy affair for those who are young or who are young at heart. Don't pass on this one because of the inexpensive price or the overexposure! Only a genius knows that sometimes less really IS more. And this fragrance has remarkable staying power for such a quiet little thing. In a word...Beautiful. PS I tried this on a hot summer day and I love the lily-suede notes in the drydown.

23 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2009)

Sadelvenprincess's avatar
    Sadelvenprincess

I have been wearing Cacharel's Anais Anais for many years. After reading everyone else's opinion I'm beginning to believe that, in some of us, the fragrance must just elicit warm and pleasant memories. I too, have many memories intertwined with the sweet smell of Anais Anais. It really has begun to drift into classic. The fragrance will aways remain a part of my collection, especially for essential summer wear.

12 December, 2008

The_Entity's avatar
    The_Entity

This is nice for a daytime scent, anais anais is not everyones cup of tea, but I think the vintage fragrances are the best

22 November, 2008

princess fiona's avatar
    princess fiona
    Croatia Croatia

I wasn't using it in my teenage years although I am in the right age group, and it somehow went past me and became a classic before I really gave it a try. And now when I'm in my forties I fell in love with this oh so romantic perfume, which carries no olfactive memories for me, but which has captured me with its sheer timeless beauty.

12 September, 2008

MissBehaviour's avatar
    MissBehaviour
    Germany Germany

This was one of my first fragrances as a little girl and a staple throughout my teenage years. I recently revisited it (at age 30) and have fallen in love with it again. This smells incredibly pretty--a perfect blend of floral and powdery/soapy notes that is neither too sweet nor too green, with fantastic lasting power and a moderate price tag. Its eighties/girly image shouldn't prevent anyone from giving this one a try--it is better in many respects than a lot of pricier fragrances that have been launched in recent years. Will always have a bottle in my collection.

09 August, 2008

lion_dancer's avatar
    lion_dancer

This scent has been on my mother's dressing table for as long as I can remember. She no longer wears it everyday... but this is the scent that I will forever associate with her. Love!

03 November, 2007

Carl999's avatar
    Carl999

Fresh, soft, floral, innocent, aldehydic, romantic.

Really nice fragrance for girls and young ladies. Respectable and playful.

Just a nice and simple scent.

11th June, 2007

pookerella's avatar
    pookerella

I agree more with those who say it tends to be on the young side, because it defies reason that a perfume can smell like an old lady when it's light, flowery, feminine, soft and romantic. Regardless, I love this perfume and always will. The love of my life purchased it for me and it will always evoke memories of him and our time together. It's definitely a "white flower" smell for sure.

29 April, 2007

elgab89's avatar
    elgab89

It is weird, however I used to wear this one in my teenage years. Now it is a classic, but, now, as a mature woman, it seems to me too young(due to the floran nature of the fragrance)! At the same time young girls think of it as an old lady's scent. Does this make sense? I still like to get a whiff of it once in a while to remember the good old times :).

21st March, 2007

tmgp24's avatar
    tmgp24

i liked it in my 20's...nice floral..first good perfume i ever bought.will have to see if i still like it.never liked the bottle.

19 February, 2007

shellygilbert's avatar
    shellygilbert

was worn by my friend's mother in my early years. I equate this smell to memories of growing up. Really like to revist there.

14 October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Such a romantic fragrance -- I really like the lilies in particular. (And do I detect quite a bit of carnation? SOMETHING deliciously spicy, anyway.)
    There's a reason that this one is still a hot seller a quarter century after its introduction: IT'S GOOD STUFF.

My baby sister wore this for years (along with Sung, Lauren, Tuxedo, and Chanel #5), and it really takes me back to the Eighties whenever I smell it. (And I mean that in a GOOD way.)

02 October, 2006

sherrie11's avatar
    sherrie11

I was one of those who wore Anais Anais in my 20's. I liked it at the time - I was a girly girl who wore a lot of fresh florals and had romantic tastes. Now that I'm in my 40's I will have to revisit Anais Anais to see if it's true that it's not as innocent as it seems, as mentioned below. I've read references elsewhere to its leather note, which I don't recall.

02 October, 2006