Reviews of Tabac Blond by Caron

Find out more about Tabac Blond by Caron in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

nase's avatar

Germany Germany

Tabac Blond is, what Cabochard and Bandit tried to be but didn't reach. I myself don't smell leather, but aldehydes and darkness and dark aldehydes. This really is a parfume of a dominatrix - hard and cool and dark for a pretty long time - and at the very end, you find a kissy, lovely vanilla.

17th June, 2006

scentmad01's avatar

Just sublime, worth every penny. I wore the smallest dab recently and was asked several times by several different people what it was that smelled so good..... a remarkable scent.

01st June, 2006

czesc's avatar

too much of the extrait and you end up smelling like creed's russian leather, its far too potent and takes on a completely different harsh character if over-applied HOWEVER I learned the next day with just a dab its a wonderfully sexy balanced sweet leather thats never too cloying or too sweet. I really don't understand all the "feels like im doing something wrong when I put this on" and "its oh so naughty" type rah-rah about it. People just jump on the hype-wagon I guess.

solid, well put together and unique leather fragrance, buy it / try it for that reason.

16th May, 2006

Eryn's avatar

Oh Tabac Blond, how I love you--and how deathly allergic to you am I. One more attempt to wear this fragrance will result in my fatal asphyxiation. I don't exaggerate; my lungs actually shut down when I try Caron perfumes. I keep hoping this is caused by something, anything else in my environment. If that turns out to be the case, I vow to spend my paycheques on this divine house before I'm tempted to use the money for anything frivolous like rent and groceries.

05th May, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

87 years after it's birth, I am fortunate to have obtained a small decanted sample of this legendary icon! It is rich, leathery, smoky, dry, thick and creamy~spicy! Carnation is one of my all time favorite floral notes, happily noticed after the long drydown of this blend. I love a complex scent with depth and can wear quite a range of fragrances well...BUT...this Tabac Blond is just too big for me!!! I don't know how else to say it. After applying a few drops of this liquid gold, I felt like a child who had sneaked into her mother's room and stole a squirt of her 'grown ups only' perfume! Silly isn't it? Honestly though, I have been put in my place and will continue wearing my self appropriated girly girl scents! Thank goodness for Bellodgia, and my flowery Fleur de Rocaille! Caron is the VERY BEST, and Tabac Blond only confirms my opinion.

28th March, 2006

moon_fish's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

One of my favourite feminine scents (and the very best from Caron)! I wear it a lot - and always wonder what masculine pair fragrance it could has?
    It`s pity that there`s no men`s leather-tobacco line in Caron range... I imagine it dark and not-so-sweet, less-flowers, more quinoline and birch tar, may be with agarwood and cade oil.
    Just one sniff - and one realises that Ernest Daltroff is Genius!!!
    Tabac Blonde is scent of Mefisto: sweet words and dark thoughts, smile and tail; it`s your weakness and his strength, playing with you...

23rd November, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

Tabac Blond is probably the richest and most luxurious fragrance I’ve come across. It’s a thick, rich leather based fragrance. The leather mutes every other note in the fragrance. There is a glimmer of carnation that barely pokes its head out. Ironically enough, I don’t smell any Tobacco at all. The parfum of this lasts for days, and will never thin out on the skin. Considering its age, I find this one to smell rather modern and urban. It was definitely ahead of its time when it came out. This is a wonderful fragrance; in fact, for many on the board, it’s a holy grail.

19th September, 2005

VintageVogue's avatar

I’ll be honest here. I’m not in love with the opening of Tabac Blond. It’s rather dark and oily smelling on my skin. The isobutyl quinoline which makes up the leather note isn’t terrible, just not my favorite. However, I know the classic Carons and Guerlains well enough to know that you have to give these juices time to do their thing with your individual chemistry. Give Tabac Blond about 2 hours, and after the leather steps aside a bit, well, it’s just va-va-va-VOOM. The clove-like carnation nudges its way forward and makes room for a little jasmine, cedar, and oakmoss. Exquisite, sensual, and voluptuously golden. Tabac Blond is indicative of Daltroff’s genius in the way it melds seamlessly from stage to stage. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz must be a fabulous perfumer in her own right; Tabac Blond reminds me of something she would do. TB’s heart is similar to the DSH accord which marks her frags. If you’ve read Luca Turin’s profile of the Tabac Blond wearer, and it doesn’t seem to fit you, it doesn’t mean you won’t like TB. I’m neither dikey nor do I drive fast or smoke cigars, and I love this one anyway. One thing’s for sure. Tabac Blond isn’t for the faint of heart. But you don’t have to be a cigar smoking, fast driving maniac to pull it off.

03rd August, 2005

david's avatar

France France

In my view this is the ultimate perfume.
    Suitable for both women and men.It smells like a million dollars.Luxury pure.A timeless classic.
    Eat your heart out no.5

09th June, 2005 (Last Edited: 17th November, 2011)

Griff's avatar

Luca Turin's comments regarding this admittedly bizarre women's fragrance (as relayed in The Emporer of Scent by Chandler Burr. If you haven't read it yet, do so) was what compelled me to first explore the world of classic women's perfumes. His description was so curious, (something about it being a favorite of urbane lesbians in the 1950's...the woman who wore this was not the girl you would bring home to mother...) I simply had to smell it for myself. I found my first full, sealed, 1940's vintage bottle in perfect condition (on eBay). Mesmerizing, potent and definitely singular. Absolutelyl unlike any other fragrance I have every encountered. Its sharp, nicotined-stained topnotes morph slowly down into a deep range of swarthy, dark mahagony basenotes with incredible staying power (for me, over 24 hours!)and like all Caron products, it is to my nose just a tinge nasty and dirty (but in an entirely good way). Hard to imagine this on any woman. Maybe that's why they discontinued it. They should have repackaged it as pour homme. For now, I treasure the stash I have collected. I sometimes dab Tabac Blond on my wrists before going to bed. It guarantees me some pretty torrid dreams.

06th August, 2004