Reviews of No. 5 by Chanel

Find out more about No. 5 by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Norma's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Wonderful! When Mlle Chanel asked a perfume to its creator Ernest Beaux, she said she wanted a "woman's perfume that smells like a woman". I think it's exactly how it is. Chanel n.5 melts in my skin like clothes that just take the shape of the body. Delicate and feminine like the skin of a woman, it doesn't shout "I'm here"; it simply suits me.

26th June, 2007

dimples's avatar

I guess I'll have to try this in the parfum version. I've tried it many times in the EDP and EDT and simply do not like it at all. Perhaps it's my memories associated with it or perhaps it's overly used. I certainly do not know what the fuss is about.

22nd June, 2007

VitaminT's avatar

This perfume is intoxicatingly beautiful and facinating, yet the EDT smells powdery and somewhat like a bad deoderant, at least on me. How can there be such a difference between the true parfum and the EDT? The difference is dramatic. The perfume is one of my all-time favorite scents, and yet the EDT isn't even in the top 10. Does anyone know what accounts for the extreme difference I perceive between the full-strength perfume and the diluted versions of the same fragrance?

19th June, 2007

Carl999's avatar

Hmmm, I agree that the perfume concentrate is supurb.

As for the EdT, it is still quite good. It starts out powdery, aldehydic, and yes, a little high-strung, but when you get past these notes, it is a beauty to behold!

Once past the initial high-strung aldehydic notes, it progresses very well and constantly into developing into somethings smooth, creamy, skin-like, and hence, romantic and sexy.

More specifically, it starts off airy, lightly floral, crisp, powdery and very aldehydic. Then when it makes its way to the middle, it becomes sophisticated, feminine, romantic, and starts to pick up some of that skin-like creaminess...mmmmmm...then, when the drydown finally reaches the base...it reveals a soft, creamy, skin-like, feminine, romantic, elegant and sophisticated sexiness...to die for...

I wish more women used this...Soooo beautiful...

11th June, 2007

baris99's avatar

Turkey Turkey

one of the masterpice from chanel
    sweet and ambery very sophisticated.
    true classic and feminine

25th May, 2007

TurkishRose's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Wow, I thought there would be a lot more reviews about this one. I think Chanel No5 grows on most people with age. I remember smelling it when I was in college because my best friend was into all things grown up: she would wear black pants and black pumps to go to class and she would wear Chanel No5 (she would also sometimes wear First by Van Cleef et.al.) At that time, it was too overpowering, almost air-freshener or laundry detergentlike and also, I hate to say this but, what my aunt might wear and I did not like her. I was into easy stuff like Lumiere by Rochas or Eau de Givenchy or Anais Anais.

But enough about me, this one sparkles. It feels like you're wearing something effervecent but not in a girly way. It's someone who is comfortable in a suit or a bikini, take your pick.

I have the EDP which is rather sharp but I like it. After reading all the reviews, I just went and smelled the parfum which smells almost identical to Joy by Jean Patou on my skin.

A rather longwinded way of saying Thumbs Up, Way Up!

20th May, 2007

kitz's avatar

Germany Germany

I´m baffled. When I tried the EdT years ago, I found it stingy and high strung. I sometimes wore it, but never really liked it. I own a mini of the EdT.
    After I´ve read "try the perfume version" try the perfume version!!!" so often ... I just did. I was lucky finding an old 7 ml bottle dirt cheap on ebay.
    And everybody´s right. The perfume definitely is a surprise. It´s warm, comfy and very womanly - it reminds me of a warm body.
    And now the funny thing: After trying and loving the perfume version, the EdT smells much better to me, too.

03rd May, 2007

Peachlove's avatar

I wish I could love this classic perfume but I do not- to me it smells downright odd- powdery and overpowering.

01st May, 2007

pookerella's avatar

If you do not like this fragrance and would really like to....go out and purchase the most expensive version of it which is the Parfum at approximately $80-$100 per quarter ounce. No sprays, no parfum spray, no EDT, no EDC. FORGET all of that! I happen to like it all the way down to the EDC body splash, but if you are not a fan, the Parfum will convert you and a lightbulb will go off in your head. "Ah...that's what all the fuss is about." If you STILL do not like it, just sell it on eBay; you won't have a problem getting rid of it. Or surprise your Mom on Mother's Day. She will think you are the best daughter in the world.

So classic, it defies description with mere words. There is a reason why people wear it. There is a reason why it comes in at #1 throughout the world, almost every year. I think it conjures something up in us that spells class, sophistication. It's the parum you wear on your wedding day. But there is nothing wrong with you if you don't agree. Just try even the tiniest amount of the parfum before you make your final decision.

29th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2011)

xdattax's avatar

a perfume for the ages. either you love it or you hate it. i love it. the history that it is wrapped in, the mystique of Coco herself.... #5 is all of that in amber liquid. it is girly yet not immature, womanly, but not old ladyish. our grandmothers may have worn it, but we make it our own.

10th April, 2007

elgab89's avatar

It may be a classic and I was sure that I would love it, as I like anything that has jasmine traces in it. However I was not impressed. I felt it went from classic to outdated. Strange but on my skin it kind of had a talcum baby powder undertone - not my favourite.

21st March, 2007

margi's avatar

England England

This is undoubtedly my No 1 fragrance ever. It felt that it was an old friend when I first encountered it as a teenager. It was the first fragrance I bought with my first paycheck even though I could not afford it. It oozes sophistication and elegance and makes me feel confident and feminine and sexy. I would recommend wearing this to interviews, presentations and just about anywhere that requires you to feel in control and self assured.

19th March, 2007

Zosia's avatar

This particular bottle of 7ml parfum is about 30 years old. It is almost empty and a little concentrated but lovely...just a dab will create the mystery...powdery, warm, a hint of ferrum, floral, very elegant.

06th March, 2007

XYZ's avatar

This is gorgeous if you smell it straight away, but it really doesn't last long at all. Maybe it is just the way it is on me, but even if I use the EDP after a couple of hours it has completely gone.
    Still, if it lasts longer on other people, I really can't fault the actual scent

28th February, 2007

stephanie1980's avatar

Many people seem to treat this perfume the same way most people regard the Beatles within the context of the music scene. Untouchable, The Original, Timeless. Never been matched.
    So too with me. I think the Beatles were quite simply vendors of pleasant tunes, were in the right place at the right time and were the first celebrities of their genre.
    Now just transpose all that onto the dreaded number 5. It was the first famous perfume and was always going to be lauded. It takes guts to say you don't like number 5 because people will immediately jump on you and accuse you of not knowing taste if it jumped up and bit you. Whilst probably secretly agreeing. No 5 does bite-it is false, soapy and assaults your poor curous nose like a diva slapping a paparazzi. Don't go near it unless you're 50 plus and are happy to smell compltely un-natural with this thing sitting, clashing, on top of your skin for hours

27th February, 2007

tmgp24's avatar

i'm 41 and just tried it yesterday for the first time.i like it.

18th February, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

This is not an easy fragrance to understand. On me, it is an enigmatic mix of ylang-ylang, neroli, spice and sweetness. But which spices? No cinnamon listed. Which sweet base? Vanilla or amber? I must say, I don't know. No. 5 is a soft, pliable fragrance that wraps itself around my wrist like a warm, plastic substance, soft and almost doughy. It is a scent that is man-made which feels utterly natural. A unique classic from Chanel. Parfum strength is the only concentration strong enough for me.

15th February, 2007

pinkpoppies's avatar

My boyfriend bought this for my 18th birthday, many years ago. I liked it well enough. I didn't find it too distinctive, but then the aldehydic fragrances aren't really my thing. It definitely seemed old-school to me, as many of the older scents are big on the aldehyde notes. But it got compliments and had sex appeal to it. I agree with the earlier comments about the EDP vs. the EDT, because the gift I got back then was the EDP. And although it isn't my dream scent, it smelled warm and comforting (along with the sex appeal). One day browsing through a Sephora, I spritzed Chanel 5 EDT on to try to remind me of it, but it did not smell the way I remembered it. In fact, I didn't like it at all. Not on the paper strips nor on my skin. I don't know if the formula was changed in the past decade or so, or if the EDT is in fact that different in character (not just strength) from the EDP.

07th February, 2007

benb's avatar

I know this is a classic and it is probably because it is a female scent but this one doesnt mix well with my
    skinchemistry. Sorry. Thumbs down.
    benb

01st February, 2007

maggie's avatar

Lucky No.5 had Marilyn to tote it and now the impossibly romantic Luhrman commercial with Nicole Kidman. Chanel was above all- a top showwoman. Gifted designer.

This scent is, however difficult to wear and overrated. Cold. Unsexy. Sorry.

30th January, 2007

CEH's avatar

This was one of my favorites as a teenager. It was already an oldie by the time I tried it. It struck me as powdery floral and sharp at the same time. I would not wear it now but it certainly is still striking, a great achievement in fragrance.

25th January, 2007

Eighty-five years old and still the best selling perfume—no wonder it is mythic. Of course, Coco Chanel, Marilyn Monroe, and Andy Warhol did their share in creating and continuing the myth, but after eighty-five years, we should probably recognize that it’s not just myth—it’s not just marketing. Myth and marketing work for a while, but they alone can’t keep a fragrance on top for eighty-five years—a fragrance that achieves such an accomplishment has to be special. No. 5 is a bewitching perfume. This is a perfume that shimmers: It sparkles with aldehydes, hesperidia, rose, and jasmine. This beautifully constructed, effervescing elixir is the very paradigm of what is classic, beautiful, and sophisticated in fragrance—this is one myth I can believe in.

18th January, 2007

glorious1's avatar

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well.......it wouldn't still be a classic if it wasn't really good. I like the sensual elixer but don't wear #5 all that often.

13th January, 2007

treazurekitten's avatar

Chanel No 5. The colors are honey amber and shocking rasberry pink. The smells are a creamy, almost fizzy butterscotch and smashed rasberries (no sugar) and also leather. I did not come to an understanding with this scent until my fourth decade. When I was younger, it wasn't attractive to me. Still, it's a classic so just to innoculate myself, I would periodically apply a small bit and forget about it. This is how I came to understand or at least appreciate this perfume.

01st January, 2007

arabesque's avatar

My Grandmother wore this. This might be why it smells so old-ladyish to me. However, I tend to prefer classic, older fragrances, Shalimar and Guerlain parfums in particular. Chanel No. 5 smells bitter and chemically to me... Kind of like bugspray.

27th December, 2006

Miss.Chanel's avatar

Norway Norway

Oh my! what a suprise :)

at first smell i didnt like this at all!smelld like soap i think. but it was something strange also that make me go back to the perfumeryshop and try it again. and i am NOT regret it at all!

now i am wreally i love! No.5 is "my" perfume! i always had lolita lempicka at my number one, but No.5 is now my winner!.

the no.5 soapy first smell i now love evn more, and the drydown is amazing! the last noete that stays is wonderful and i smell myself all the time, this perfume last inncredible long to! simply the best!

now the sensual elixir and bathcreme must also be both.

and my men also love it! ;)

09th December, 2006

serene111's avatar

While I can't say that it's my favorite fragrance, I can say that this is truly a unique fragrance. It has endured through the decades and remains one of the top selling perfumes in the world. It is truly a work of art. I remember as an 8yr old, finding a minature of this in a junk drawer in the kitchen (my mother obviously got it as a sample? gift w. purchase?). I remember being so intrigued by it. I couldn't stop smelling it! Just try and picture an eight year old prancing around in Chanel No.5 all week long! I was quite disappointed when I finally exhausted the sample. Now I have a full bottle, along with 3 minatures on my shelf. Perhaps one day if I have daughter-she too will discover this!

03rd November, 2006

mademoiselle_nicole's avatar

France France

i agree with k.h. kew.this fragrance is all about what the dreamsellers of marketing made it to be.
    it is the kind of fragrance that was once chosen by an icon and this is why it continues being picked by people who wish to obtain the same class being on the secure side of the street. true- without a doubt you would call it elegant and classy. but i am rather sure that it is about the mythos that was created around this rich, little old fashioned flower bouquet,more than about what it really smells like. on certain skin types it might get soapy because of the jasmin ,ylang combination.
    tha vetiver makes it to dry for my taste, meanwhile the aldehyds sharpen it as somebody wrote.it is a show off parfume which is usually worn or by people who fell in love with it a long time ago which is lovely because that's genuine, or by people who want to show how classy they are. without offending no one whose choice this is.
    i think somebody who heads towards this genre but would like some more subtle sophistication, might be pleased to try fleurissime by creed or as victorian posy by penhaligon's.
    in the end here in italy we say nobilty is inborn, nothing you can learn. and often the biggest grace is found in the most simple person

27th October, 2006

castorpollux's avatar

Well everything has been said of this iconic fragrange. It’s unmistakeable, it’s very classy, it’s aldehydes heaven. The last bit gets lots of haters as well because it can feel to some people way too metallic or sharp. I love aldehydes myself. The ylang at the top it’s not so strong and it gives sort of a soothing or calming effect to the chemicals. I relate it to xmas time because I give it at that time of the year. While I do think it’s very nice and a very well-done scent, I prefer the smoother, more adjustable Le Dix by Balenciaga, in EDT form at least. These are compared endlessly but the latter I think is a better version of the former, and it’s very underrated in comparison. Back to No5, I also think that the basenotes are of very high quality and it shows in every concentration. The perfume and EDP version of No5 are best if you want a deeper, more flowery and thicker scent than the EDT, wich would go well for more of an everyday use. Very good sillage and great longevity, it’s very much a quality fragrance.

09th October, 2006

TDDanae's avatar

I am an oriental perfume lover and so it is rare that I find a floral I truly love. Jasmine is my favorite floral scent and so Chanel#5 gives me a very bubbly, sparkly, spicy, uncomplicated Jasmine when I am in the mood for it. My husband does not really like it. He does not say anything at all when I wear chanel#5, but when I wear one of my orientals, he goes ummm. So, I wear Chanel#5 for myself when the mood strikes me.

03rd October, 2006