Reviews of No. 5 by Chanel

Find out more about No. 5 by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

This is the only Chanel fragrance that I don't think smells like an ashtray. It's truly a classic and will continue to be. No 5 always makes me think of pearls, lace, crimson and white roses.

16 April, 2006

totalparfumlove's avatar

I don't really understand how this is classic. Don't get me wrong, I love florals and sweet smells but there was something in this perfume that was just TOO sweet. It made me really disappointed because my mom always said, "It doesn't matter if you have the crappiest scents ever made.... but if you say you own No.5, you simply seem like a upper class citizen! You don't even have to wear it!!!" I thought for sure the scent would be good if it was one you never had to wear but would be loved and adored if you owned it. I've smelt it on some people and it has smelt very good. But on me, it just is way to sweet for my own good!!!

14 March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

This masterpiece has had so much written about it over the years...I can only add that I love it. Chanel made a Number 5 Voile in the early 90's that was so light and lovely - especially for the summers' heat - I wish it was still available. Everyone should experience the 'Number 5' legend for themselves!

13 March, 2006

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

This classic is to some dated, to others still a flawless masterpiece impossible to match by anything else. To me I guess it's the wearer who makes a difference- I've known women and girls on whom it smelled dated and plain, on others on whom it performed miracles of style and attraction. Like all luxury objects, like all status symbols it should be used with taste and moderation, as it is far too elaborate, formal and conservative to match the everyday outfit, even an elegant everyday outfit. If used in the proper way, No.5 improves its iconic, legendary status along with the age.
    A truly refined balance of very French floral notes asnd timlessly elegant Neroli, musky sweetness and the sparkling, lightful warmth of vetyver. A classic to be handled with care and constanly reassesed, rediscovered.

19 February, 2006

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I must write a new review for No 5! I wrote before it is too oldfashion to wear. I don´t think so no more, I find No 5 really wearable, and a really beauty! The only product I don´t enjoy is the EdT, it is too sharp for my nose and on my skin, but the EdP and the parfume are totally adorable. They are also easy to wear, suits most situations. The bodylotion and bodycream are also really wonderful! No wonder this is the most sold perfume over the world!

14 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2007)

scentualfox's avatar

What a classic! It's unique yet instantly recognizeable aroma and the chic bottle are here to stay. This timeless, elegant fluid of goldwas created almost 85 years ago but still standing strong and un surpassed.
    I loves the aldehydes twists on jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang and neroli; the complexity of its innovative formulation is undenialably the most glamourous and sensual scent ever created by mankind.
    I know nobody who wears No5, i discovered No5 myself and had been spoiling myself with the EDP and bath oil, not to mention using No5 to scent my room( on aromatherapy hotstone) and bed linen.
    Its powdery and leathery dry down seems to linger very well on my skin; somewhat animalistic yet chic, wild yet cultured.
    I just hope that there will be another great perfume that could come close to this luxurious scent; we have been waiting for more than 80 years now!

01st January, 2006

crushme's avatar

Since it's a classic, I bought one. I never wore it on any night occasions. I don't wear it during day time either, since everybody in the office would know what I'm wearing. The bottom line is that it does nothing for me.

21st November, 2005

chriscent's avatar

A truly soft, gentle, and comforting scent worn by three ladies I've long respected: Marilyn Monroe, First Lady Bess Truman, and my beloved grandmother. Evokes the sweetest, brightest, and fondest memories of my lifetime.

11th November, 2005

Ayala's avatar

No. 5 has become an institution - and as such it is sometimes hard to actually enjoy it as a perfume.
    However, a close look at the genius construction of the Parfum Extrait reveals a harmony that deserves more attention besides being a classic or a trend setter.

It is actually a work of art in the same way that Chanel’s fashion design has reached the heights of being an art form and at the same a concrete, useful piece of clothing.
    To prove so, one must re-think it without being bound to olfactory memories and collective subconscious schemes that evolved around this perfume in the last 8 decades or so of its existence (i.e. the first perfume-fashion association; confident business women in pinstripe suits, Marilyn Monroe’s bedtime fragrance, etc. etc.).

A woman should wear No. 5 as if it was created for her alone, and she was the first woman on earth to wear it.

No. 5 is a truly feminine perfume, and is not bound to anything else but pure feminine beauty. It contains flowers, but does not smell quite like a flower garden. I believe Ernest Beaux definitely fulfilled Chanel’s dream of creating a perfume that will help women to smell like themselves, not like a flowers.

To my nose, No. 5 smells sweet and ambery, and is both sensual and seductive in a subtle and sophisticated way. The most dominant accord that comes forward on my particular skin is that of ylang ylang, amber and civet. It radiates a feminine warmth that when worn with confidence can be highly appreciated and enjoyed by both the woman who wears it and the people that are allowed to be close enough to smell her.

Top: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Rosewood, Neroli
    Heart; Ylang ylang, Rose, Jasmine
    Base: Amber, Civet, Sandalwood, Vetiver

30th October, 2005

Tovah's avatar

Chanel No. 5 is a fragrance every true perfume-lover owns (at least once in her lifetime) but many of us never wear it. I think it smells gorgeous and it evokes everything it claims to: independence, sensuality, femininity, class...diamond and minks...When I get a whiff of it on someone I think, "What a lovely smell," yet it's not a smell I really enjoy wearing. Once in a while I wear it when I'm desiring a "vintage style" mood, but it never feels like an extension of my personality.

28 October, 2005

ponderous's avatar

Very strong and almost bitter (a little like hospital disinfectant) for the first hour or so, but then it dries down to a wonderful clean, soapy vanilla scent. Shockingly, even my husband who hates Coco likes this. If you can get past the initial unpleasant blast, the fragrance becomes quite nice.

20th October, 2005

lefay's avatar

I wanted to love this "classic," but found the aldehydes unpleasant; on me they create a raw, ragged impression, as though the formula is unfinished somehow. No. 19 works better on me, but overall Guerlain has Chanel beat for sophisticated, complex, feminine fragrances.

18 October, 2005

Sassyrila's avatar

Chanel is indeed timeless, as my Mother always wore it, ever since she was in her early twenties. It does and will always remind me of her.. and I do like it on myself, although it's not my favorite. I just put on some of the bath oil, it's just exquisite-- although I cannot say why I enjoy this version better than the parfum... *Takes a deeeep breath*

02 October, 2005

IPaidForThisName's avatar

As Serpent said, this is the alpha and omega of fragrance, so to speak. Chanel No. 5 is one of the most innovative fragrances, if not the most innovative fragrance, ever created. It’s shaped and changed the entire industry. Brilliant, and absolutely timeless.

25 September, 2005

lilypaddles's avatar

This review is for the Sensual Elixir. Lovely scent! Very delicate, feminine and simply gorgeous. I do not care for regular No. 5, as it turns into an overpowering mess on my skin. Elixir is totally different to me, with the florals dominating (mainly iris to my nose). I was told that the notes are supposedly "reversed" in this version (whatever that means).

17 August, 2005

Quarry's avatar

Someone has to present an alternate perspective from the previous reviewers', so I'll stick out my perfumed neck and say, "Ick." It's the aldehydes. I'm certain science will eventually describe the olfactory apparatus that translates aldehydes into an enhancing experience for some, but I lack that bit of biology and thus am instantly repelled. Don't think less of me, please!

10th August, 2005

babecca's avatar

WOOF! What a dog, I cant understand how it can still be so popular today. I was really looking forward to trying this scent, and ordered a sample off the internet. The aldehyde just smelled like so much powder and dead flowers. Just a couple light sprays and I reeked - I have to admit it has staying power! I was also suprised by how little it happened to develop over time - I expected something more dynamic from such a star.

05 August, 2005

richie23's avatar

Because scents are linked so closely to memory, No. 5 is therefore recognizable by almost everyone. Almost any individual has had a grandmother, aunt, sister, friend, or acquaintance that has worn the fragrance. Yet despite its universal appeal and ubiquitous presence, this is still a timeless fragrance. It smells of a world in transition: let us remember it was created in the age between the two world wars. It was an age of cynicism and ambiguity, but also of great experimentation and artistic creativity. Chanel No. 5 is a classic precisely because it conjures up an age gone by while speaking to the expectations of today. It's warm and earthy undertones of vetiver and sandalwood mingled with jasmine and the wonderfully ambiguous aldehydes make this fragrance as complex as our modern lives, and yet the fragrance still achieves an austere simplicity in which every woman can make it her own. Layer it, wear it, and cherish it as the ultimate accessory.

03 August, 2005

RoseAmber's avatar

When I wear Chanel No. 5 I feel elegant, confident, and extremely feminine. This fragrance doesn't have a defining note that screams out proclaiming it's presence, rather, it melts into my skin, surrounding me in a sensual cloud of beauty. Even if I'm not dressed to the nines with perfect lingerie and fishnet stockings, No. 5 makes me feel like I am! The drydown is incredible, and the lasting power, even of the edt, is very good. Chanel No. 5 is wearable art.

11th June, 2005

ayalasender's avatar

No. 5 has become an institution ñ and as such it is sometimes hard to actually enjoy it as a perfume.
    It is actually a work of art in the same way that Chanelís fashion design has reached the heights of being an art form and at the same a concrete, useful piece of clothing.
    To prove so, one must re-think it without being bound to olfactory memories and collective subconscious schemes that evolved around this perfume in the last 8 decades or so of its existence (i.e. the first perfume-fashion association; confident business women in pinstripe suits, Marilyn Monroeís bedtime fragrance, etc. etc.).
    No. 5 is a truly feminine perfume, and is not bound to anything else but pure feminine beauty. It contains flowers, but does not smell quite like a flower garden. I believe Ernest Beaux definitely fulfilled Chanelís dream of creating a perfume that will help women to smell like themselves, not like a flowers.
    To my nose, No. 5 smells sweet and ambery, and is both sensual and seductive in a subtle and sophisticated way. The most dominant accord that comes forward on my particular skin is that of ylang ylang, amber and civet. It radiates a feminine warmth that when worn with confidence can be highly appreciated and enjoyed by both the woman who wears it and the people that are allowed to be close enough to smell herÖ
    Top: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Rosewood, Neroli
    Heart; Ylang ylang, Rose, Jasmine
    Base: Amber, Civet, Sandalwood, Vetiver

11th March, 2005

NewYorkSean's avatar

Agree with the above review. No 5 is the ultimate in fragrance. Best bottle design of all time. Best scent of all time. I also enjoy how all the different formulations smell different. From the parfum to the cologne. I particularly enjoy the parfum and the EDT. I feel that the EDT is much sweeter. I also like the new Sensual Elixer and the lotion. I own multiple bottles of all the formulations and can't get enough!

10th February, 2005

ISRAELONOFRE's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I wonder why number 5 is a classic... Well, it is a simple woody-floral fragrance enhanced by many aldehydes. It is clean, sometimes soapy, but it is all... I think it is very very demodÈ...

29 January, 2005

lovley7000's avatar

Delicious!!!!!!!!!and men go wild !!!

13 January, 2005

sunny_in_the_south's avatar

One of my favorites! Use sparingly, as those aldehydes will announce your location from miles away if you over-indulge. I never buy fragrance for the bottle design, but this one still has one of the coolest designs I've ever seen. To call this fragrance a classic is the understatement of the millenia.

21st August, 2004

's avatar

Perfume begins and ends with Chanel No. 5.

16 November, 2003