Reviews of No. 19 by Chanel

Find out more about No. 19 by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

dlane1953's avatar
    dlane1953

Fresh, green, unique

A lovely classic beauty Many years ago I wore this and remember it as being fresh, chilly, and green. I've recently received a bottle as a gift, in EDP formulation, and I'm enjoying the rediscovery of this beauty. Curious how our perceptions change over time. After 5 hours' wear, it's very different from my memories. The sharp bitterness of the opening notes put me off at first, but after 15 or 20 minutes, soft floral notes began to appear and the fragrance settled into a more feminine, less assertive version of the #19 I remember. Iris and rose is predominant, with a touch of powderiness appearing now and again. It's both warm and cool, a seemingly difficult balance to achieve, but this formulation pulls it off beautifully. The woody/mossy basenotes are warming in their effect. A touch of leather, nothing dominant, with the florals still playing their part in the development. The greeness seems to be gone; freshness replaced with earthiness. I think this is one of those go-to frags that can be worn in almost any situation. Sillage is average, longevity very good, about 8 hours. A good unisex fragrance.

Pros: sharp, greenish, with floral heart., nice woody drydown
    Cons: None"

20th September, 2013

arras's avatar
    arras

My signature over 30 years

Since 1983 I have this fragrance and it is always good. Chanel has made some changes in the past 30 years. I found the deodorant and the bodymilk/cream after the changing in 2012 better but it can more better. The longlivety is short and to soft from the bodymilk/cream.

The EDP is a bit different comparing with the EDT. I do love the EDT more.

Pros: You can always wear this fragrance
    Cons: expensive (always) "

30th July, 2013

eastcoaster's avatar
    eastcoaster

Beautiful, classic fragrance

Purchased a bottle of the EDP recently. The opening is a burst of earthy green foliage, reminiscent of a lush springtime garden after a downpour of rain. After a while, hints of leather and musk emerge, along with an aura of soft powder, but it never loses the green earthiness that makes this fragrance so memorable.

20th July, 2013

TragicPixie's avatar
    TragicPixie

This is one of my favorite January - February scents, it powdery florals combined with a sharp green (ETD version purchased in 2011 has since been reformulated I hear, juice is emerald green) accord and a nice leather to give the scent backbone and keep it from going down soft and ladylike. It's lady like - but this is the scent of the ultimate bitch - the one with money and who knows what she wants.
    It stays with me all day but isn't over powering. It will never make an entrance but I've been told lingers on clothes - and sheets. On my skin it dries down to a nice woody musk. This is by far one of my favorite perfumes for it's ability to both melt into something pleasing on my skin but also for wearability. It is not out of place anywhere - except maybe a nightclub, you might want something more seductive or flirty for that: No 19 is not a flirty, girly, come hither scent it's much more of a "I know what I want and if I want you; I will come and get you" scent.

28 November, 2012

Nefret's avatar
    Nefret

This is my "austere bitch" fragrance. It's sharply green, tailored, smart. I love it in the fall/winter.

12 September, 2012

Cricketkitty's avatar
    Cricketkitty

This is one truly bad fragrance. It smells like dead ladybugs. Anybody who has lived in Southern Ohio in the fall knows what I mean. I received a bottle of this as a gift one Christmas and I think it is still in the bottom of my closet.

02 September, 2012

Berlynnvintage's avatar
    Berlynnvintage

these light, powdery florals with a slight hint of leather smells absolutely divine on my skin! Normally I have a strong dislike of Chanel perfumes but this one I really really like. It's not overpowering, it's not overly flowery or feminine. Just classy and subtle like a classic lady.

30th August, 2012

k8pierro's avatar
    k8pierro

I had the EDP and the EDT and used to wear it regularly, although it is no longer "in collection."

I consider this the "entry-level chypre." Unlike some other chypres, you would never think twice about wearing it during the day, or to work, or in hot weather. (To me, that intensely green bergamot is summer in a bottle.) You could wear it with jeans, linen, or wool. No. 19 goes everywhere...except perhaps to bed, where maybe you'd like something a little less "tailored"...

Not too old, not too young, worn equally well by men or women, it seems to hit the right note every time. I highly recommend this if you think you might like the chypre accord, but are not quite sure. Classic.

06 August, 2012

LieslM's avatar
    LieslM

I am basing this on the eau de parfum.

Luscious green and woody. Very crisp and dry. I think men could wear this, and women who do not like heavy floral 'girly' scents would love it.

I wouldn't call it a romantic or 'feminine' fragrance, but I would say that it's sophisticated. It's also one that I can (and do) wear to the office--it does not have major sillage so it won't get on the nerves of anyone who does not like smelling other people's perfume, but it stays on me for several hours.

One of my favorite Chanel fragrances.

11th June, 2012

heavenscent1's avatar
    heavenscent1

Love it! Love the opening notes and the woody base notes. I like a fragrance that is a little masculine/strong and this one is quickly becoming a new favorite.

12 April, 2012

Emily's avatar
    Emily

This is probably the worlds most polite fragrance.

All green florals, powder and cedar. There's something about 19 that is both soft and serious. It must be the marriage of dry, sweet flowers with that friendly woodsy cooldown. It's almost like it's saying "I'm for women, but I will never offend you with cleavage or rouge."

I find it markedly less bold than 22 and 5 which are outwardly feminine, while this is like a gamine tomboy.

14 March, 2012

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

I think the re-formulated No. 19 is a success. I'm basing it on the EDT, which I bought. I can't speak to the EDP. It retains the older classic No. 19 undertones, but the reformulation is a lighter, less dense version of that.
    The galbanum is reduced in the top notes. which makes it less bitter on opening, and allows the warmer elements of the fragrance to come forth from the start-up. But what I call warm is actually a curious mix of very greeened-down florals and old-style feminine leather, non-airy, non-expansive, and thank god, non-citrusy. It seems citrus is one of the things they grab when they want to contemporize a fragrance. That's not what 19's about, and they seem to understand and not mess with that. Which is one reason I call it a success.
    Another is that it is a very wearable fragrance - I can see it becoming a staple. Subtle and subdued enough for day, but with the slightly non-feminine muted galbanum edge, it retains a certain amount of character - this is an intelligent perfume because of that sense of character and will. Also, it's feel of coolness, which in fact isn't borne out if you smell it with focus at different phases, creates a subtle juxtaposition, as does the combination of bitter green, earthy floral and warm leather. It engages more than smell in trying to embrace it, heightening its sense of intelligence.
    It becomes a close to the skin fragrance after several hours, though its sillage is never large. It doesn't disappear though. It's one you'd smell coming off someone at close range in an elevator, something on that order. And really, who wants their fragrance to intrude on someone further away than that?

28 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 February, 2012)

Ognyez's avatar
    Ognyez

This is fast becoming my favourite Chanel fragrance, the twilight counterpart to the sun of No. 5. It is bitter only in its opening, and I find it a very comfortable fragrance to wear all day. I prefer the restraint of the eau de toilette to the more feminine development of the eau de parfum.

08 January, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Easily one of the classiest feminine scent ever. Chanel n.19, despite its durable angular and mossy crispiness, is mysterious and decadent as a court inside an abandoned and decrepit nobiliar building. The smell is extremely classy, cold (in a rooty/grassy/lymphatic way), almost sinister, shadowy, moody and silent. This scent pushes in a corner the great part of the feminine scents today on the market regardless the range. The smell, as underlined by many, is multifaceted, mossy/boise, aldehydic, floral and slightly leathery (in the dry down tail). The beginning is crisp and angular with a powerful galbanum (providing a botanical sense of mossy coldness), some herbs, the final moss echo, bitter orange and the bergamot (providing algid hesperidic angularity). The grassy and almost retro initial whiff is soon "florally" mild because of the central floral bouquet where the main role is played by a victorian rose, a rooty royal iris (orris root, the real musky protagonist) and a romantic muguet with the reverberation by an ylang-ylang's almost detergent soapiness. The central part is the sweetest in the body of a faintly mild scent and in this stage is barely detectable the work performed by hints of aldehydes with their typical cool, sparkling and projecting effect. Receding the sweetness starts blooming up a sort of wet, crisp and botanic woody temperament of the aroma with the leathery undertone and a plain mossy atmosphere. There are some roots in the general grassy-floral ambience although in the final stage is perceivable a touch of woody/floral powder (with a faint influence by iris itself), some leathery trait and a bit of musky smoothness. Bold, severe, sophisticated and distant.

05 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2014)

somedaywish's avatar
    somedaywish

I don't understand why this scent was marketed as a women's fragrance because it smells completely masculine to me. It seems to lack depth and reminds me of nothing more than alfalfa sprouts with dry, dusty, cardboard. It's not a stinky fragrance, so I can't say it's downright bad- therefore, I"m giving it a neutral rating.

24 December, 2011

HyperB's avatar
    HyperB

Stunning opening of green bouquets and woodsy promises... but the drydown on my skin is too bitter, like rancid dandelion roots.

The "poudre" version had a better drydown, but it was absolutely not the same - overall too polite for my taste.

22 December, 2011

pince_nez's avatar
    pince_nez

An iconic/ aloof/ hissing and venomous green chypre of a fragrance that beckons admiration but only from afar. The anti-thesis of the voluptuously powdery rose-jasmine No. 5, this fragrance is for a woman now characterized by angularity and prismatic sharpness, like a crone, still beautiful but now older and "more handsome" -- even butch. Feminine still, but almost heartless.

Ideal for those that want to project elegance tinged with masked steeliness and severity.

Highly recommended and a masterpiece!

10th November, 2011

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

I thought of this one as very green. Maybe crisp is a better word. I get the florals and tart citrus, then the slightly warmer drydown.

I don't get the sex appeal part at all. This is almost cold to me, distant. I'm just not that kind of gal.

I find the overall result to be interesting, but shortlived.

22 September, 2011

dsg's avatar
    dsg

I have been using this perfume since it was first launched, last week I bought a new bottle of edp, is this the same product, I feel at a loss, I know it has changed over the years but this is nothing like my last bottle.... help

12 August, 2011

spice's avatar
    spice

The best women's perfume ever made.

06 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

This is Chanel how we know it! Classic, unique, comfortable yet misterious, dangerous, and very serious. No.19 is outstandingly timeless with its bitter explosion of sharp green notes, floral patterns and a powdery vibe that is never the same. Anytime you wear No.19 you discover the countless facets of this masterfully crafted composition that is able to be at the same time cold and warm, lovely and aggressive, reassuring and scary as only one great woman can be.

My only concern (if I can call it so) is that in the reformulated version leather is playing a very marginal role while I've been told in the vintage version was way more relevant. Nothing that really changes my mind on this masterpiece, but I will surely do all it's possible to put my hands (an nose) on a vintage bottle. An all time favourite.

14 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2012)

jtd's avatar
    jtd

The opening of Chanel 19 edt is one of my favorite experiences. It is a focused demonstration of the iris. I agree with many of the characterizations of 19: venomous, aloof, off-putting. 19 is powdery, but coldly and bluntly so. Up top, other notes, especially galbanum and hyacinth, accentuate the iris root and add to the wonderfully acetone, dry-cardboard smell of 19. Chanel 19 edt is a floral fragrance, but far les so in the topnotes than in the heart. The chill remains, but the acetone and paper recede, and the rose/jasmine heart continues the green trend right through to a grassy, vetiver drydown that I would ultimately categorize as woody-floral.

If I could make any perfume moment last forever it would be the topnotes of 19 edt. (Aside: I feel similarly about Cristalle and Pour Monsieur. Love them. Just want to drink them in. But, sadly, all three edts are brief experiences.) Despite its passing nature, though, I love the whole shape of 19. It is a beautifully worked-out fragrance and has a coherence of tone from start to finish that is both effusive and logical.

My dilemma: the concentration. The various Chanel concentrations are notorious for their qualitative differences. The edt is not a dilute version of the edp or of the extrait. It is a different formulation. I’ve fallen in easily with one concentration of the other Chanels. No 5: I understand the edp; I enjoy the edt. Cristalle: I don’t quite understand the edp (it has a niceness that defeats the pretty brutality of the edt) and want to live in the edt. For 19 I want both the edt and the edp.

While there is a similar componentry, the edp is leathery and warm where the edt is a cool, rooty/grassy floral. The evolution of the edp has a much slower timeframe, and gives a warm treatment to its flowers, rose in particular. Though distinctive, the edp winds up a broken-in green, leathery chypre not far from the drydown of Scherrer’s Scherrer.

18 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2012)

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I've never had any luck with Chanel fragrances and I definitely didn't fall in love with Chanel No.19 when I tested it today in the fragrance department.

Green is an excellent word to describe this scent. It's a mixture of wet sand, freshly cut grass and alfalfa sprouts to my nose. Something that I adore in nature but not on my skin.

This fragrance is fresh yet sharp and quite soapy. Although the floral notes are present in this fragrance, they aren't soft and feminine like other Chanel perfumes, instead they are sour and overpowering.

In the drydown I sensed the familiar soapy/powdery notes that are present in every single Chanel fragrance I've tried. I could easily pick a Chanel fragrance out of 100 other scents with my eyes closed.

I don't entirely dislike this scent; I do admire its individuality and freshness, however I'm more attracted to florals and sweeter scents. The lasting power is excellent, but that is to be expected from Chanel. On the right person this scent could be very distinctive, sophisticated and unique.

26 April, 2011

fragranceman88's avatar
    fragranceman88
    Scotland Scotland

After wearing this for a while....i cant possibly imagine a woman wearing the scent. It is quite male (in my opinion). It is very green and mossy. When i picture this fragrance, i see me standing in the middle of a great, old forest just taking in all the smells and basking in the sunshine. Might just be me though! I really enjoy this one and it is a contender to be my new signature scent.

20th April, 2011

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

Not at all what I was expecting. Very direct, dry, and droll. There's nothing frilly or even really feminine about this fragrance. I find it very unisex; in fact, perhaps better on a man. But the right man. My only problem is that after the first sublime hour or so, the muguet (lilly of the valley) comes to the fore and remains as the dominant note. I am not a fan of muguet. It reminds me of the scent of perfumed toilet paper, so it kind of puts the kibosh on things. I don't want to be thinking of #2 when I'm wearing #19. Sorry, couldn't resist. But oh, that first hour is fantastic! I'm really getting into these old Chanel warhorses and I'm dying to try the Exclusifs line...but my nearest Chanel boutique is about 500 miles away. But I would walk 500 miles if there was a vintage 8 oz. bottle of Pour Monsieur waiting for me at the finish line!

29 March, 2011

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

review for the reformulated version :
    floral green scent composed by Henri Robert.Sophisiticated and unique.
    the new version is definitely not what the vintage version used to be!- the vintage version was better balanced and smoother, fine tuned and well orchestrated.
    the reformulated version has something sharp, bitter and harsh-still excellent and wonderful but the vintage version was more refined, more accessible .It reminds me of a wonderful symphony and suddenly it collapses-darkness sets in!a bitter and harsh note takes over and dominates-very interesting but on the ohter hand disturbing and troubling- i try to feel comfortable with this harsh note that emerges and dominates this wonderful floral-green composition-this outstanding marvellous complex symphony of ingredients, so well put together.....but you feel again and again this harh and bitter note.I prefer Cristalle.
    the vintage version of No.19 is better-cannot understand why the reformulate these jewels of perfume history?!

20th February, 2011

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l bought myself a bottle of No19 when l turned nineteen, simply because it seemed like a cool idea! However, it was never really my style, & l felt like it wore me rather than the other way around. l can't speak for the reformulated version, but back then l found it overwhelmingly green, sharp & almost metallic. The floral notes weren't obvious to me. l can see why some refer to it as heartless or soulless; there is no warmth, no femininity, no sex-appeal to this whatsoever. lt seems like something that a career-driven, hard-nosed, ball-breaker type of woman would wear to the office, to be taken seriously. lt could smell great on a man, though!

17 February, 2011

foetidus

I had been sniffing a new group of samples… almost listlessly picking up sample after sample from the pile of thirty-five to sniff, some I immediately liked, some I disliked, some I thought had possibilities, others didn’t. I grabbed a tube and didn’t even bother to read its label, took one sniff and thought, “Wow, this must be a great one… it certainly doesn’t belong with the rest....” This would be a very poor story if that special fragrance wasn’t Chanel No. 19… and it was Chanel No. 19.

No. 19, as it comes to me is green, floral, and leather. It is remarkably balanced, and clearly exhibits that special Chanel ambiance. The galbanum makes for the forceful, dry green that is just a little too bitter for my tastes, but I usually react much more adversely to galbanum than the version that is here. The florals form a beautiful platform for the rest of the fragrance – they don’t play the major part, but they provide an elegant textural depth and breadth to the green and woods and leather. I don’t get moss in the base, but the base is an excellent sandalwood supported by musk and cedar. The base is discrete and long lasting.

I’m testing the reformulated version of No. 19 EDT. It’s a beautiful fragrance that, judging only from my experiences with many reformulated fragrances, I take for granted that it is not as good as the original. I like this fragrance – it speaks elegance and balance and good taste: It has my complete intellectual approval, but it isn’t one that captivates me - that simply doesn't happen for me with scents that have a leather note. But No. 19 is brilliant enough for me to believe that the original must have been extraordinary.

09 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 May, 2011)

givemesomescents's avatar
    givemesomescents

The vintage formulations are far superior to the lime green stuff that is being sold in the bottles today.

09 January, 2011

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

There are more versions of this fragrance than I care to contemplate. The original was a shockingly green floral & brittle leather. I could not envision wearing it at the time. It was heartless and cruel. The reissue that I sampled from The Perfumed Court, my least favorite version, is a green No 5. The limited edition edp from the Chanel website is a very soft (maybe too soft) green floral suede that wears close to the skin. It is beautiful and approachable and the easiest to wear. It captures the idea of the original without really smelling like the original, much like the new Bois des Iles compared with the old Bois des Iles. The limited edition edt is brighter & greener than the edp but still very friendly. All versions of the pure parfums echo their counterparts but are deeper and richer. Nevertheless, all are worth sampling. Overall, I give this fragrance (these fragrances) 4 stars.

27 December, 2010