Reviews of Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Find out more about Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

One degree more chemical, and Coco Mademoiselle’s melon-flavored Jolly Rancher candy top would be at home in a liquid hand soap or nasty men’s fragrance. Tart berry accents eventually render the fruit cocktail a degree more complex and incisive, but no more sophisticated. Sharp patchouli and intensely sweet vanilla steer the heart into an obviously Angel-inspired patchouli oriental territory, and while Coco Mademoiselle partakes generously of Angel’s shrill tropical fruity pitch, it is a mite less brassy and strident than the model. It is, after all, still a Chanel. Coco Mademoiselle does not share Angel’s room-filling sillage and projection either, and while by no means demure, it is a great deal more versatile.

By this point you may have gathered that Coco Mademoiselle has nothing whatsoever to do with the original Coco, the reference serving exclusively as marketing leverage. The “Mademoiselle” part is on the other hand entirely accurate: this is a very youthful fragrance with many traditionally feminine olfactory cues, and I think it best suited to pretty teens. It offers some of the same fruit candy appeal as many teen-targeted celebrity scents, but it’s significantly less crude than most. In short, it’s not bad for this sort of thing, but I’m not convinced it belongs in the Chanel lineup.

11th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Aldehydes, vanilla, rose, jasmin, ylang, something fresh and green, opoponax, lemons, soft musks. If even I could detect these barely smelling the opening for some minutes, it means this scent is really simple and balanced, and all components are there under your nose – which is something I always enjoy, no matter the quality of such components (to this extent). A pleasant "reading" for a clear, simple, delicate fragrance. A refreshing apple flavour (probably a side effect of aldehydes and flowers) and a sweet, fruity, cozy soft galaxolide base which smells of mellow musks. A chemical galore, of course: perfectly shaped and "rounded" around the composition which smells exactly the same for hours, with a great projection. But you know what? It does not compare to Coco, but it's not bad at all.

20th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 21st April, 2014)

Captain's avatar

A nice vanilla in the dry down but not gourmand (thankfully) it's just a bit of sweet warmth to counter balance the quality citruses and ubiquitous Chanel rose/jasmine mix. Clean patchouli and woody vetiver also help balance the potential gourmand. It's so Chanel, perfectly balanced. You have to wonder why there aren't more copy cats of this but maybe that's what all the other fruitchoui's are and you have to appreciate even more how well Coco Mademoiselle is made.

22 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 26 May, 2014)

Lisa DP's avatar

To be wearing Coco Mademoiselle is like drinking skimmed milk or eating low fat cheese. When you have the delicious, real, fulsome thing (that is, Coco) standing by and demanding, "come and get me", why would you bother with Mademoiselle? It is a poor imitation of the real thing. Whilst others have remarked on the awful first hour of it, I don't mind the top notes. It is the dry down for me that turns into a weak, plastic mess. A good thing that the staying power was so weak, as it would have been soap and a scrubbing brush otherwise. I've given it a neutral rating as I have smelt it to be "nice" on other people. But truly, unless you're working in a hospital with sensitive noses around, why would you want such mediocrity?

21st February, 2014

gsujess's avatar

I truly love this juice! I am in my early thirties and find it completely age appropriate, yet youthful and vibrant. When I first put it on I get clementine with sparkle of grapefruit that is replaced almost immediately by the sweet jasmine and rose middle notes. On me it settles in about an hour into the bourbon-musk-vetiver base. It almost reminds me of wearing a boyfriend's jacket and sniffing his lapel after he is gone.

03 December, 2013

gmstrack's avatar

Great after you suffer through the first hour

I just wanted to hate Coco Mademoiselle; let’s check out my list of complaints:
    1) I usually dislike very fruity perfumes.
    2) The note listing = boring cliché line-up. Yay—another fruity-floral with a dash of patchouli. Bleck.
    3) It’s painfully ubiquitous.

Anyway, Mademoiselle is, indeed, all of the previously mentioned items; however, in spite of the reality surrounding this fragrance, I still enjoy it. First, the citrus fruit somehow sticks around past the opening and blends with the patchouli and lychee creating a warm, pink haze that weaves through the composition. Below the pink haze is a touch of musk and above the pink haze one can detect the icy fluttering of jasmine and rose. The floral component is high quality and can be found in other Chanel fragrances; IMO this is one of the features that keep Mademoiselle from sliding into the pit of mediocrity. An hour later, the delicious patchouli-vetiver-tonka-musk combination takes over. This is, by far, my favorite phase and I’m shocked at how much my wrist finds its way to my nose. After the release of Coco Noir and Chance, I have a newfound appreciation for Mademoiselle…

Pros: Sexy, high quality 'fruitchouli'
    Cons: It's painfully ubiquitous"

20th October, 2013

Den1011's avatar

Lovely!

It’s sexy, elegant, classy and feminine but fresh. That’s something that really surprised me (in a good way). I thought it would be suffocating. But it is definitely not!

As many have said, it is patchouli all the way, with jasmine and musk also being notorious on my skin. I don’t get so many other notes but I suppose that’s the thing about a good -quality perfume, that all the notes blend in together and you can’t quite put your finger on each of them. I feel it to be quite "creamy" but not powdery.

It fills up a room but is not overpowering. I guess that what I’m trying to say is that the minute you walk in people are going to notice you but in a subtle way, it’s not a "in your face" kind of fragrance.
    I would be comfortable wearing it on a daily basis, but I won’t because it is really expensive and I prefer to use it when I want my spirits boosted or for a special occasion. But you can most certainly wear it during the day, at night, and both in winter and summer, although some notes are best appreciated in a warmer temperature.

When it comes to the age, I would say it suits a wide range. I’d say from someone in their twenties to someone in their sixties.

Summing up, it is really versatile!! Age, season of the year, time of the day, occasion…. It really is liquid gold to me!
    I really like it!! It makes me feel good when I wear it. It "dresses me up". I hope it never runs out.
    Absolutely recommended! =)

Note: If you don’t like patchouli or want a very sweet and heavy fragrance, this one’s not for you.

EDIT 23/05/13: I spritzed only once this morning, and I could smell it on me all day long!! I love love love this perfume! The sillage and longevity are excellent! No doubt about it, a Chanel is a Chanel.

24 May, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

I used to love it but now that my nose learnt better, i smell very metallic note, is it jasmine musk combo? That metallic note shows up the most after 1- 2 hours and is over whelming, it copies a bit old joy with this super elegant rose jasmine combination, only that this is clean and very modern and synthetic version, with modern musk note, and nice citrusy top. If it did not have that prominent metallic tone it would be thumbs up

19 April, 2013

Claire811's avatar

Fresh, citrusy, spicy-floral. Young and classy. Very nice, feminine and long lasting perfume but too popular (like Hypnotic Poison).

09 January, 2013

charger's avatar

My wife received a few samples of this and I really like it on her. Most of the frags that she likes have that same overly sweet smell like the ones marketed to teenagers. This one is much more grown up, but not old. The citrus opening is really sparkly, while the patchouli and vetiver really give it a classy vibe as it dries. I may have to get her a bottle for Valentines Day!

28 December, 2012

willaFriend's avatar

This is a Chanel fragrance I can handle--and love.

Not rich. Not overpowering or powerful. But not demure, either.

Feminine, but not FEMININE. It doesn't scream its femininity.

Light enough, but not too light. It goes on bright and stays lovely on my skin. A very enjoyable fragrance for me. Bright and lively.

EDITED TO ADD:

I was far too pale and lukewarm in my review above. This perfume is BEAUTIFUL. It's classy. It's elegantly pink. It's beautifully put together and sits beautifully on the skin. It's complex. I's alluring to the nose.

This smells to me of citrus and musk, softly warm, more bright that anything, but not alcoholic. The musk and the citrus together just sit so beautifully on the skin.

This is my default perfume. I wear it as the default, and then switch it up when I'm in the mood for something new. It makes an excellent default fragrance. Easy and elegant.

I envision this perfume as a laughing, enthusiastic woman who is sweet and classy. She's assertive, but doesn't have to prove anything. She's never been told "no" so she's never had to fight.

I think that's perhaps in part why so many here don't like this. There's no darkness, and the lightness is a given. Coco Mlle doesn't have to prove herself or earn anything. She just assumes everyone will love her. This is not a complicated perfume. It is very harmonious and complex, though. The effect is rather simple, though.

Great. Now I'm holding resentments toward my default fragrance. I wish I hadn't spent so much time dissecting this.

15 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2013)

ynde's avatar

I had the EDT version first, but the grapefruit was so strong on me that it began to smell sour and I couldn't stand it. I traded it with a friend for the EDP version, and I'm so glad I did! It reminds me of being in the Greek countryside, full of orange orchards. It's sweet and girly on me, which makes me feel youthful and can be worn casually, whilst simultaneously feeling like an incredibly classy and refined scent.

07 November, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

Coco M. smells like a lot of other products I've tried, but it's very well done. It's just sweet and pink enough to be unmistakably feminine, but it stops just shy of 'cloying' and features a woody rose heart that speaks of confidence and seriousness. I recommend this for women who want to transition from wretched youth market frags gracefully to respectable perfumery without having to wear classic-styled scents with ingredients they feel smell too 'old lady.'
    Versatile enough for day or evening wear, up to semi-formal.

11th June, 2012

funnyscent's avatar

I bought this for my wife as a Christmas present. She fell in love with it. It has very good sillage & longevity is very decent as well. I can still smell it on her after 8++ hrs. coming from work and she never reapplies. I love the fact that when she's wearing it almost everyone notices how nice it smells. I guess it's hard not to like it. It's very pleasant and works its way very smoothly dominated by a sweet rose scent. This one time we ate in this restaurant, the waitress couldn't help but ask what my wife was wearing. We told her and she replied that she already knew what it was. Maybe she just wants to know what she'd smell like if she was wearing it. Thumbs all the way up for this great fragrance.

21st May, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2012)

sofababe's avatar

I wear this for my own pleasure. I love it regardless the fact the every second woman in the street is wearing it also. Or more likely they are wearing a dupe, there are so many, and some are very good. So I rarely wear CM when I'm out and about in town, I use it on quiet weekends when I'm just pottering around at home, relaxing.
    The longevity and sillage are excellent.

21st March, 2012

Emily's avatar

I would call this a lighter, more genteel version of Coco were it anything like Coco at all. It's more of an original composition than an update on a former fragrance. The name is just the name.

It's your modern day floral spice scent set off by juicy citrus notes for that commercially appealing "youth" edge. Even though it's a week Chanel (sort of like Chanel for girls who wish not to challenge), it's actually a credit to its genre. If you compare it to most other floral orientals that came out in the early 2000's, Mademoiselle is very smart. It has a sparkling, sharp quality lacking in its copycats and the addition of rose and jasmine keeps it from being a gourmand train wreck. In other words, it could have been another Angel wannabe and it wasn't.

That being said, I will admit I haven't repurchased since my husband bought it for me. He picked it out based on the phrase "It smells like spicey yummies" which I interpret as him liking patchouli. That brings me to another thought. Isn't it funny how all Chanel does to market a scent to youth is to slip patchouli under a lot of sweet citrus? Ever smell Chance?

I did notice that when I wore it friends would comment "who smells like roses?". It always strikes me as bizzare that the single nose people pick up from this is the rose. If I could change anything about this scent, it would be the grapefruit. Don't love grapefruit.

13 March, 2012

Aredore's avatar

Coco Mlle was the first perfume that really fascinated me. Enraptured as I was by marketing and brand, I was very eager to test what was certain to be perfect.

Coco Mlle is a sweet citrus powder, slightly shrill, but with a good, strong note of bitter mandarin peel that slowly dries down to a powder base. Vetiver bestows an herbal edge and gives the sweet fruitiness a “natural” angle. There’s a disinfected patchouli earthiness in there, more like garden supply store planting material than actual dirt. It’s a very pleasant fresh-yet-sumptuous scent.

Coco Mlle was a huge trendsetter. Every young woman today knows someone who wears it, or a clone. It’s doubtful the “modern chypre” trend would have emerged as it had without it. It has unfortunate aspirational connotations, esp. the EDT version, which is easily affordable to most office ladies who wear only one or two fragrances. It kills some of the youthful “luxeness” of the scent.

Ultimately, I found CCM disappointing. It just wasn’t me. I reluctantly moved on to her big-hair eighties godmother and was brought to my knees. In a good way.

26 January, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A wonderful aromatic patchouli for us. I've enjoyed it for the first time in the course of a frosty night out while walking for tracks and alleys of an old italian town of mountain exuding it from the neck of a dear and beautiful friend of mine. She was walking in ascent in  front of me and sincerely i was concentrated in the admiration of her backside when at once i was hocked (professional deformation) by a minty whiff of sophisticated patchouli surrounded by rose, fruits and angular hesperides. Uncompromissingly  womanly. This fragrance ends with a wodsy base of musk and civilized vetiver that sound very aromatic because of a chemical hint of an hidden synthetic balsamic accord. The last on the side of patchouli, musk and rose are the key elements of the scent. A touch of balsams impresses a milky final temperament to the aromatic musky patchouli. The blades of hesperides linked with the minty sinthetic accord and patchouli remind me a sort of less outrageous Angel while the final touch of powder, milk, orange, moss, rosewood and floral sophistication reminds me slightly the chilly dust of Ange au Demon. Another  wonderful Chanel for us.

08 October, 2011

MissLucy's avatar

I feel that this perfume is the bubbly younger sister to No5. I find it needless to compare the two since they are likely not aimed at the same consumers.

Coco Mademoiselle was a gift to me. I had raved about No5, but when my fiance arrived at the store he could only recall the name Chanel. The lady asked my age, and suggested that I must have wanted Coco Mademoiselle because I am in my twenties. It was the first time I had ever smelled this perfume, but I was not disappointed. However, if you like the classical things in life you may not enjoy this perfume. Its citrus notes are a little strong, so expect to smell young and vibrant all day long.

I honestly give it a thumbs up, because regardless of it not standing up against the originals it is on its own a strong contender in the land of perfumery. It is easily recognizable which in itself is a bad thing, because it is obviously a popular scent. If you want your scent to set you apart and show your personality from others, then I suggest you steer clear of this perfume.

If you are looking for a bubbly, fun & well crafted perfume, this may the one you are looking for.

14 September, 2011

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

I am an extremely latecomer to Coco Mademoiselle- possibly a decade behind those who love this scent so much .
    EDT- bright multi citric opening - sharp , somewhat sweet. Less florals and also less sweet than the EDP. A sheerer interpretation but not necesarily less good. This is more unisex than the EDP - with a sheer earthy ( due to patchouli ? ) drydown . I swear this is used to perfume some of Chanel's expensive facial products as well- the smell is familiar to me .
    Therefore - sharpish citric floral ,sweetish and earthy -woodsy in a good way .

EDP- fabulous opening notes- sweet and tart ,bright orange ,bergamot and God knows what else. It's very memorable. The EDP is definitely more feminine being much sweeter though still remaining a fruity- floral chypre. No floral notes stand out to me but the clean patchouli always makes itself heard as the EDP approaches the dry down . In fact on my skin, the EDP goes through an almost 'minty ' phase which is delightful.
    Tenacious , mouth watering chypre . Excellent fragrance and I am sorry I didn't give it the time of day earlier.

05 August, 2011

mademoiselle-c's avatar

This is the Chanel - along with eau tendre - for people that are not able to appreciate Chanel. I owned this fragrance when I was 15. I am personally tired of the new advertising campaign and all these teenage girls raving about it and saying that it is better than the Chanel classics. Mademoiselle is a younger, cheaper and hookerish version of Coco. It is a flanker that does not even COMPARE. I guarantee anyone that owns or likes CM does not like No. 5 nor Coco. I don't think Coco herself would have created something like this.

18 July, 2011

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Everything's already been said about Coco Mademoiselle.

The balance and care put in this composition make it one of today's finest classics.

At times I feel it is a little too safe but it's so well done that I cant help liking it.

08 June, 2011

madwit17's avatar

Doesn't smell as good on me as it did on the guy who made me want to buy it. Though I was drunk at the time. Lesson learned in testing on self. And inebriated scent assessment. Don't think the scent lasts long, and find it weak (he must have bathed in it), though admittedly I like louder fragrances. Pleasant vanilla and not too sweet, esp in the drydown, so it smells good but rather boring to my nose. Would be a fitting scent for a particularly charming baby or nursery. Can layer to sweeten a masculine, is how I'm consoling myself about it. Also haven't tried it in hot weather yet, hoping that will be ameliorative.

27 April, 2011

nezdelacoreé's avatar

South Korea South Korea

I received a bottle of Coco Mademoiselle EDP as a gift from my husband, who--the poor guy--was tricked by a salesperson into buying it (when I had hinted, oh, a THOUSAND times that I wanted Coco...the original. How was he to know?) So of course, having gotten this as a gift from the extremely well-meaning love of my life, I wanted to like it. But...sigh. It's no Coco. It's very sweet in the opening, and--again, I tried really hard to like it, so it kills me to say this--not terribly unique. (Though maybe I got to it after it had been copied so many times in cheaper frags that I misjudge Monsieur Polge's innovation.) I agree with blood-orange's review that it's a confusing fragrance: citrusy breathing in, powdery breathing out, and it's hard to remember, somehow. I wore it every day on a recent vacation with said LOML, and the more I wore it the more I liked it. But nonetheless, it did sort of make me feel like a 20-year-old trying to feel like Keira Knightley. (And in honesty, age 20 isn't even *that* distant of a memory for me, but this still felt too young on me.) Perhaps, if I had just gotten to this fragrance while the title 'mademoiselle' still applied...

26 April, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

This is quite an interesting fragrance by Chanel. It's actually very confusing to my nose. When I initially smelt this, it was strong and quite citrusy but when I breathed out and the smell settled with my nose, it became powdery and soft.

It is quite a delightful little scent. I would imagine it to be very appealing to the younger crowd and this is reflected by Chanel's choice of Keira Knightly being the face of this perfume. The scent itself is very refined and elegant. Coco Mademoiselle is the definition of a woman that knows what she wants and understands the meaning of class and sophistication.

The EDP lasts considerably longer than the EDT, which is to be expected. The fragrance settles nicely on the skin, yet it is to be used only in small amounts because it tends to be overpowering at times.

26 April, 2011

Coco Belle's avatar

I loved this as a girl. I've always been a patchouli lover, and this is a fruity, flirty, feminine take on it.

Although it's somewhat maligned in perfumista circles as an unabashed attempt to cash in on the "sweet fruit" and "Angel-patchouli" trends of the 90s and 2000s, the fact is, the original Coco was a trend-follower too, and she is rightly lauded as a classic nowadays. I think Coco Mlle will follow suit in her own way.

This is for ladies under thirty, and it can work all year round as a daytime scent. It isn't a scent for parties.

Be warned: Coco Mlle is more dependent on body chemistry than most other scents. It definitely has the potential to "turn" on you. Do not buy unsniffed; a test drive is mandatory for this one. Also, apply with a light hand, because it can be overpowering when spritzed too lustily.

25 March, 2011

Grottola's avatar

While the original Coco is a nice fragrance, I find Coco Mademoiselle to be a stinker. The fruity patchouli does NOT work well on my skin.

02 February, 2011

jasmine_dream's avatar

There's a complexity and maturity to this scent that I just love. Though the notes are different it in someways reminds of the sophistication of Jasmine Noir. I think this is a classy, mature lady scent - though I know Chanel markets this to the younger ladies. Oddly I haven't liked the traditional Chanel scents, but this is now in my top 5. From a cursory perception it stirkes me as a fruity-spicey scent and less floral.

Overal I feel "transported" when I wear this, and any scent that can do that is impressive!!!

12 December, 2010

MuskandSpice's avatar

England England

I absolutely LOVE this perfume with a passion. I have recieved so many compliments from men and women alike, asking what perfume I was wearing. I don't know where you guys all live, but personally, living in the country, I am the only person I know who owns this perfume. I love the musky undertones that appear after a few hours, they make me feel elegant and feminine. However, my family is split with the descision of whether it is likable or not. My Father dislikes this perfume, as he says 'it burns his nose', whereas my Mother loves it as I do. So I suppose it's whether you like the scent or not. But for me, since the very first time I smelt this at the Chanel counter, I fell in love.

05 December, 2010

Weimar27's avatar

The Litchi dominates this perfume at first but then the grapefruit and vanilla shows up in the nose detector
    it's why fruitier then no 5 and way
    younger it can be heavy at times and it will give you a headache but it's a nice perfume. when you think of who's
    going to be the face for chanel but for me keira kightley whould be the least
    thing to be popped out of my mind if i was the casting director for this perfume.
    she does'nt fit in this advidtisment
    i'll think of more like audrey tatou
    is the perfect choice for chanel products because audrey has more of a chic bookish parisian sopistacation then kiera but neitherless
    it's a fine perfume just don't spray to much.

04 November, 2010