Reviews of Chance by Chanel

Find out more about Chance by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral Oriental

There’s a tendency to lump Chance with the earlier Coco Mademoiselle. After all, they’re both floral orientals, they’re both from Chanel, and both start with the letter “C,” right?

Well, I don’t think they smell all that much alike. Coco Mademoiselle starts out with a crass melon note, while Chance opens on spiced citrtus top notes that would be at home on a woody oriental masculine in the manner of New York or Héritage. Where Coco Mademoiselle remains relatively fruity and shrill, Chance mellows into a more rounded, and admittedly conventional, floral oriental midsection that’s built primarily upon jasmine, orange blossom, vanilla and amber. The trademark Chanel iris root is clearly present, but not overly conspicuous. It contributes a certain smoothness to Chance’s contours, without the powdery, sumptuous texture you’d encounter in Bois des Îles, No. 5, Cuir de Russie, or No. 18.

Chance is a bit leaner and sparer than many other Chanel scents, right down to its uncomplicated white musk, amber, and soft patchouli base notes. Unfortunately, Chance also winds up feeling bland and faceless. It tries so hard to maintain a friendly smile that it flirts with triviality. While the overall composition is pleasant, it’s so bland and nondescript that I’d have trouble picking it out of a lineup of designer floral orientals. I see no reason to choose Chance in lieu of more distinguished floral orientals, from such grandes dames as L’Heure Bleue, Byzance, Parfum Sacré and Boucheron, to cheekier entries like Insolence and Flower by Kenzo. If you need a nice, everyday floral oriental that won’t offend at the office, Guerlain’s L’Instant does a better job than Chance. It’s just as genial, with just a bit more personality.

11th June, 2014

Oviatt's avatar

This is a beautiful, light fragrance that is sure to appeal to a broad audience, which seems to be Chanel's MO these days. Is it groundbreaking in any way? Not at all. THEY didn't take a chance with this one, but they did bestow it with all of the quality and good design that goes into all Chanel products. In smelling this again, it occurs to me that this must have been the inspriation for Estee Lauder's Modern Muse. This is one fragrance that really seems to adapt well to flankers. It is a blank enough canvas that it is what you make of it. Suitable for daughters, wives and nieces who want to smell elegant and--to some extent--anonymous.

15 January, 2014

yrogergmc's avatar

Take a chance on this one.

I love it when a scent takes your mood and mind to a special place. I have several perfumes which do this for me, but Chance is special. It seems to smell different on everyone, depending on chemistry, so definitely try it a few times before you buy it. There is something special about this scent which is not limited to the notes. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but when I wear Chance I always feel a bit magical, as if my life were lifted out of the ordinary. This is more than a nice scent, it is a totemic emblem of what perfume should do for you. I am truly "lucky" to have found this one!

Pros: Smells fantastic on me, lasts well, nice drydown
    Cons: Hard to layer with"

17 August, 2013

TallulahB's avatar

A beloved aunt used to wear Chanel No 5, and after her death I inherited her coat which had been in closet for a few years. It still has the faint scent of her perfume, which I adore. So I went looking for Chanel No 5, and though I wasn't able to find that, I found Chanel Chance. I fell in love with it, and now, when I want to feel feminine and pretty, I give a wee spritz, just enough for me to detect, and not overpowering for others. I have tried other scents over the years, but Chance really connected with me, and stays on my skin in a very subtle way. Makes me remember my aunt, and know that one day, if someone gets a coat from me, they will remember 'my' scent, and smile.

17 October, 2012

DebbiePope54's avatar

I didn't like this when I sampled it, but after wandering around the mall an hour it had changed on me. Smells youthful (which I'm NOT) clean & crisp. A nice summer fragrance, but I wouldn't wear it year round. I don't think it would go with the wool & tweeds of winter.

16 September, 2012

sofababe's avatar

Similar to Mademoiselle, I have both and actually prefer Chance.

Sweet, feminine and slightly lighter and more mature than CM, more suitable for warmer seasons.

I applied at 9am and it was still present (no reapplying) at 7pm when I took a bath. I can still smell it emanating from the laundry hamper, where today's shirt is now. Next time I'll be a little lighter.

Dec
    2011

21st March, 2012

finzi's avatar

I echo what others have said - nicely blended, with no one note vying for attention above any other. A lovely soft, subtle vanilla tone on the base.

I am surprised to see so many others reporting excellent projection - this stays very close to my skin and after 4 hours my boyfriend had to press his nose to my neck to pick up the scent! His verdict, when he could smell it was "Doesn't shout 'Buy me!' but it's alright I guess". Hmmm.... Not really the reaction one wants! :-)

Whilst this is very pretty it's not really to my taste. I want something more distinctive, more opulent, more long-lasting, more everything!

11th March, 2012

DaniellaCaramella's avatar

Chance by Chanel is my first fragrance from the Chanel line. When I was sprayed with a sample at Macy's, I was immediately captured by its full-bodied warmth. It is a very bold fragrance, strong and invading, but once it dies down a bit, it is utterly splendid-sophisticated and sexy all at once. This is perfect for evening.

15 December, 2011

kuttusa's avatar

Peppery and floral. It's definitely not a grown up scent, the sort of thing you wear in your early 20's when you've stopped wearing the cheap sweet overly fruity scents of your teens but havnt quite reached sophistication yet. It's nothing special, the notes tend to meld together, all i get is something strong and floral and something spicy. Not a signature scent, but nice enough when you're young and just want to have fun.

08 December, 2011

Kalynne's avatar

This has a sharp modern sweetness that's almost berry like. It's not my taste since it's too artificial for me. I'm sorry, but it smells very cheap and very much like the drug store scents teen aged girls spray themselves with to cover up the smell of weed or to cover sweet after dancing in da club. Yuck! I was given this sample, not expecting it would be my taste, but at least expecting something youthful and pretty. It's just youthful. :(

13 May, 2011

rtgiggles's avatar

Great fragrance, plan to buy a bottle. Blended well with my body chemistry.

03 May, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

I can understand the popularity surrounding this fragrance. I would classify Chance as being much more of a casual and youthful fragrance as compared to other Chanel perfumes. The pineapple and iris are really strong in this perfume. It was hard for me to detect any of the other notes.

As I said before, I think this would make a great casual, daytime fragrance, however it has enough class to be worn during the nightime. Like all Chanel perfumes, this one has great lasting power and a strong, definite scent.

26 April, 2011

Weimar27's avatar

Chance is a younger and more vibrant sister of the Chanel Sisters
    sweet and a bit sassier then of the more
    reserved iciness of Chanel no 5's and the Les Exclusives
    series Opens in my opinion a sweet vanilla gourmand or
    to be placed in the oriental vanilla category The interplay of
    Pineapple and Vanilla is sort of a break
    of the usual routine of cold Aldehydes and crisp green
    note notes that is a trademark of a Chanel Perfume;
    Chance is a like breath of fresh air A fragrance for a
    Chic and independent young Woman who wants to
    have fun without being childish The drydown turns
    spicy with
    pink pepper Lemon adds a zesty touch, Hyacinths
    and Irises changes
    Chance to a Metallic with a cloying factor
    which can be Overwhelming
    The finishing is sweet and woodish opens with
    sweet patchouli lies
    against patches of diluted musk Vetiver closes
    Chance with nuances of dry Woods,

Chance is a Luminous beauty with a inner youth
    and positivity that invites us in it's realm.

24 March, 2011

wellss03's avatar

When I was in my early 20’s Chance was the fragrance for me. However, I am finding that the older I get the less the “sexy sweetness” appeals to me. Chance has notes of white musk, hyacinth and citron, pink pepper, jasmine, fresh vetiver, orris absolute and amber patchouli. I find that men always compliment me when I wear Chance, but women – (in particular the more sophisticated of my friends) find it familiar and the top notes slightly artificial. I would compare Chance to a beachy blonde bikini clad bombshell and Shiseido Zen to an alluring dark haired woman in black silk. It just depends what role you want to play.. This one has strong memories for me, but is becoming less and less a scent I identify with.

11th February, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Chance is a big, obnoxious patchouli-oriental that unfortunately suffers from a major baby wipe note on my skin. Not pleasant.

03 February, 2011

Giulia's avatar

This review is about Chance (Chanel) eau de TOILETTE, not about the eau de parfum. After researching this matter again and again, I came to the conclusion that the one I really like is the eau de TOILETTE, which does not have vanilla, which the eau de parfum does have.
    Chance eau de toilette is a succesful composition of both sweet, warm and yet fresh and not heavy notes. The lack of vanilla makes that it does not become too heavy and that it maintains a certain freshness and light-footedness, but does not become green nor cheap.

05 December, 2010

elusivek's avatar

At first this comes off as almost a single note. It's not, but I really get pepper w a hint of patchouli.

At first I was neither here nor there about it but the pepper is constant, nearly becoming too much in a short time. At this point it starts to transform to earthy and almost masculine.

However, just then, the floral appears, softens the pepper (thankfully!), and it's like a whole new animal.

It's a light floral tempered with musk (not so much that you can pick it out but enough to balance it), with a very faint remnant of spice and earth with a bit of sweetness.

The floral aspect does come off as just the slightest bit cloying. I could probably get past the initially too strong pepper OR the slightly cloying floral and see if I could get it to work in the spring but not with BOTH those characteristics.

22 July, 2010

cheryl's avatar

A SA gave me a sample of this, though I told her I did not like it. But then I thought "Is that true? Do I actually know what it smells like?" So it's on my wrist. Yes..I have smelled this dozens of times on passing strangers. I don't detect a single note that this is supposed to have. I smell a cheap fruity mess with a sledge hammer of breeziness. I detect a Chanel signature...that almost smells classy..an element of somethingness in there...but this is a relentless assault that is mainly shampoo-chemical. Unpleasant. Tenacious. If I say "gives perfume a bad name", am I being too mean?

08 May, 2010

MisterAlex's avatar

I catch the scent of people at work and such all the time, but this was the first that brought me to ask a -woman- what she was wearing. I find it quite alluring--I feel my skin flush and my head all but swim whenever I get a good whiff of this perfume. I unwisely bought some for a friend--bad idea; now I get funny feelings whenever she wears it. =P

As for the actual smell of the scent itself, it feels very smooth and sharp at the same time. It smells a little citrusy and floral, perhaps a bit like a rose; in fact, it reminds me a little of the soft yet strong feel of stroking a large rose petal.

13 April, 2010

Noelle Pardieu's avatar

France France

A very easy scent to wear. To me, it smells like a fun fair stand selling doughnuts, cotton candy, love apple and such like - a friend of mine, working for Chanel, finds this opinion very disrespectful. However, Chance is a very pleasant uncomplicated all weather perfume on me. A not too risky idea as a present to to a teenager - at least in France.

22 March, 2010

pixelriot's avatar

Bought a tester of this fragrance and I am wearing it today. Love the smell on me, seems to work very well with my skin. Several sniffs brings different notes. Very nice. Not my holy grail or signature perfume, but definitely a nice one for the office or day out. Feminine, without being overly so. Makes me feel quite sexy, and I can't stop sniffing my wrists... Will see what the boyfriend thinks tonight. If he comments it means he likes it, if he doesn't he usually keeps quiet!

12 March, 2010

sheilajones's avatar

I really like the Eau Fraiche, but on me it doesn't last as much as the normal one...

27 February, 2010

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Chance acts refreshing, tempting and energizing in a refined way. it's a flowery cellophane fragrance, like you're moving in some kind of giant luxurious packaging, but you move lightly and inspire others to move along with you. When they smell this perfume, they'll be tempted to start a frivolous talk. And this shiny pink jewel being synthetic - so what? You'd never get its playful radiance naturally.
    Me, smelling the plastic note, I'm always reminded of op art and the 60's.

04 February, 2010

Gloss & Bubbly's avatar

Chanel Chance was my signature scent in my 20's. It's perfect when you're young, fresh, modern, yet sophisticated for your age. Now that I've hit 30, I find it lacking the substance of being a woman. But that's just because I like bolder scents. I think you could still wear it regardless of age. It's perfect if you don't like overwhelming amber or musk, but would still like your fragrance to last. Chanel Chance has the longest lasting freshness I've ever experienced, and my skin tends to "eat up" fragrance. The bottom line is, it's a gorgeous Chanel fragrance and you really can't go wrong.

25 November, 2009

Lerche's avatar

Norway Norway

I love this perfume, but it's just too damn strong!

f 16

08 November, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

This starts out "31 Rue Cambon" (promising) and ends up "Allure" (disgusting). This fragrance has amazing sillage and longevity. It took an entire day of scrubbing to rid myself of this cheap smelling fruity, floral mess.

10th October, 2009

Panic's avatar

I found it to be kind of generic. My aunt gave a bottle of this to me that she'd received as a gift and claimed that it didn't work on her. It doesn't really work on me, either. In the end, it's a little bit blah.

10th September, 2009

Basak's avatar

I was thinking that I was in love with this young scent, since someone told me that it was synthetic. Yes absolutely. It is not disturbing but it is synthetic.
    Nice bottle and lasting.

26 August, 2009

dimplesg's avatar

Yes I agree with the above. A very safe perfume. Perfect for the office. A definite Spring/Summer Scent. Very expensive as all chanel scents are but they do have lasting power.

07 August, 2009

cjkamm's avatar

Nice, fresh and young~~but I like Coco Mademoiselle better.

15 July, 2009