Reviews of Casmir by Chopard

Find out more about Casmir by Chopard in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Yumm's avatar

I agree with Lisa. There is something in Casmir that doesn't come together quite right. It clashes with my body chemistry, and I am also suspect of the geranium. The bottle is beautiful. Periodically I take a sniff from the bottle, but just can't seem to wear it as it makes me feel on the edge of allergies and a headache. I've smelled others wearing this and it was superb. It's just not for me.

19 November, 2013

lil_odessa's avatar

jtd nails it: this foodie-ental indole-bomb is the missing link between the monsters of the 80s and the gourmands prowling today. I LOVED it when I tested it years ago, got it as a gift, and even with a light hand (one spray, under the shirt), the sillage was killer. On me, it blew up into a rotten, cheap fruit basket. I actually had a friend use the old, "You smell like a French whore!" on me. I wish I hadn't pitched it years ago during my perfume purges, otherwise I'd have given it to a loving home.

08 May, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2013)

willaFriend's avatar

Beautiful, beautiful!

I was trooping through a perfume store, trying on several scents and being uninspired by every one I spritzed, when I spotted a bottle of Casmir and, dutifully but wearily, I sprayed a bit on a patch of skin, not expecting anything. I gave a disinterested sniff, and--BOOOOM! Glory filled my senses. I was so overwhelmed by beauty that I could not tell what it was I smelled--vanilla? Peaches? Spices? No idea. It was just glorious.

Dazed, I staggered home, overcome. Days later, warily, I came back to the store and tried it again, afraid it wouldn't be as wonderful. Ahhh. Still glorious. Still beautiful. Still delightful.

After many tries, I bought a full bottle. I am very happy with it.

It begins with a bright, non-alcoholic blast of bright warmth. Then the perfume glows for a while on the skin, emanating variously at different sniffs: pure warm goldeny vanilla; peaches and apricots and vanilla; spices; vanilla again; and so forth. For some reason, I always think "Honey!" when I wear this, although that clearly isn't true. I don't smell vanilla when I wear this, I smell "honey." That's what my brain registers, anyway.

I HATE vanilla perfumes. They make me gag. But not Casmir. Casmir is the only vanilla perfume I can stand--so far, hopefully. This vanilla smells different than any other perfume I've tried that has a strong vanilla aspect to it. I also like "Cinema" by YSL, but the vanilla's too overwhelming in "Cinema" for me, and I end up disappointed when I try it. Not so with Casmir.

Casmir can get to be too much, though. I've had to scrub it once, after two direct spritzes to my arm. It was overpowering. Sometimes I "cut" the power of it, when it's too vanillary, with a spray of musk, and it smells delightful, just delightful, combined with the musk.

NOTE: I just tried this on today with my brother in the room. He turned from what he was doing and looked at me. "Are you baking brownies???" he asked. No. It was the Casmir. Something to think about.

17 March, 2013

jtd's avatar

I see Casmir (1991) as the amphibious step where evolution took a creature from the oriental sea to the terra firma of the gourmand. The vanilla is comfortably inedible and the peachy/apricot fruit, when magnified by benzoin and patchouli grows unsettlingly inedible. It's the scent of overripe fruit or spoiled jam or a syrupy liqueur. The unresolved dessert that had hidden at the background of big amber orientals for years took two steps forward and gave us the fairly ugly but certainly interesting Casmir.

21st February, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2013)

blood-orange's avatar

I had searched both high and low for Casmir for approximately 6 months, so you can imagine how excited I was when I finally stumbled upon it. My expectations were huge. I was so eager to test this famous vanilla-based scent.

I sprayed on both the card and my wrist, and unable to resist or contain my excitement any longer, I inhaled deeply.

The aroma was indeed strong, but only very subtle with the vanilla. It had an oriental feel to it, yet I felt that the citruses were a little too sour and basic. I was quite disappointed, since this had been something I'd dreamt about, almost being crazy enough to buy it blind.

I proceeded to test other fragrances to ease my disappointment, until about an hour later I was met with a beautiful scent wafting around me. I was pleased to discover that it was Casmir enchanting me with its glorious aroma.

Casmir is the absolute perfect orange-vanilla fragrance; gourmand, just like an orange flavoured cake topped with sweet vanilla icing. However, this is no toothache, this is incredibly sexy and rich.

Towards the drydown, Casmir captures me with its subtle spicyness and smokey incense quality. It's exotic and seductive all rolled into one. May I also add that the sillage and lasting strength is highly commendable. I added Casmir to my wishlist immediately.

26 June, 2011

hotscents's avatar

My mom has worn this occasionally since its release. I just sampled it on myself this morning. Of course, the initial scent is very sweet, dark vanilla. However, the drydown, on myself, is smelling quite similar to MKK! I do have a tiny bottle of parfum en route to me; I may also buy a bottle of EDP (which is what mom has) - it is very inexpensive. I paid only $60 for a 1/3oz bottle of vintage (though I doubt it has been reformulated) parfum!

11th June, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Synthetic and overly warm vanilla-coconut pudding overly onedimensional and sweet for my taste. I agree with From Smoke when asserts that the melange between coconut, mango and vanilla produces a sort of flavour of banana pudding. The peaches are also detectable till the powdery end. I don't perceive a lot the floral middle transition while clearly detect sandalwood and patchouli in an ocean of fruity vanilla. The drowning of floral elements in a lake of creamy/fruity vanilla turns the scent out finally linear and un-sophisticated in my opinion. A touch of musk provides a bit of woodsy feel but is not enough to reduce the claustrophobic candied warmth. I don't perceive the scent as a complex one and feel it too synthetic and cloying. The dry down is boring and a bit close to skin while the longevity is good.

07 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2014)

hollycat's avatar

The fragrance equivalant of a decadent dessert. You enjoy it once in while, but cant take it everyday. Cashmir gets so sweet on me that it becomes annoying to wear. I can appreciate the composition, I mean it smells wonderful on my wrist, but thats as far as I can stand it. Its the sweetest vanilla based perfume Ive ever smelled. Its like I jumped into a tub full of vanilla frosting and a barrel full of berries. I do enjoy the opoponox and benzoin in this, its beautiful. If it werent for the cloying sweetness of this perfume, I think I would love this. But I imagine this perfume works wonders on the right chemistry.

06 March, 2011

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Beautiful spicy fruity oriental scent...!

My initial impression has a take on peaches, mangoes and possibly oranges...incredibly comforting and uplifting to the senses...then the vanilla, sandalwood and patchouli take over for hours on end...

Great scent for men and women who enjoy intense but refined oriental infused scents...

Excellent longevity and sillage...

Big thumbs up...!l

02 January, 2011

Mandi's avatar

Guyana Guyana

Vanilla is the thread that holds this scent together.

It is fruity at the opening stage, a bit spicy at the middle stage and quite powdery in the dry down; throughout these stages the vanilla is there, present but subtle.

16 August, 2010

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

I bought this perfume because of the ad years ago and I'm pretty sure that ad changed my life! I can still see the ad in my mind's eye. It was a thin woman in a floor length pink flower print dress with huge turquoise jewelry walking with brown leather indian sandals next to an eggplant-colored vintage mercedes benz through the streets of India. That was me to a T. Down to the turquoise jewelry, that exact car, and the indian sandals.....From that moment on, I knew I would travel the world, and I knew I would do it dressed like that woman and wearing this scent....and I have, and my life is blessed because of it.
    To this day, that's what this scent reminds me of. Being blissfully lost in the streets of India, wearing my mother's heirloom turquoise squash blossom necklace - in one of the most breathtakingly beautiful enigmatic countries in the world - searching for the golden temples with their incense and oranges and flower garlands in my nose. I was welcomed and entertained and comforted by strangers who painted my hands with henna; people who are now dear friends. Much like my first experience of India - I was expecting "Bollywood India", and the top notes of this fragrance make you think of that Bollywood cheesy type of India -- but if you hang around long enough, what you get to experience is the country that houses the Taj Mahal, the temple of love, the Kama Sutra, the holy temples and incense, silk saris, the coconut curries, and the hugs from Amma...........This is that India in a bottle. It's warm, it's enduring, it's enigmatic, it's unexpected, it's exotic, it's beautiful and memorable. I've been wearing it for years, but tend to wear it more in the winter with my favorite cashmere white coat, when I want to feel warm and snuggly and drink hot chai and look at my photos of India and just smile because I know the TRUTH because I've been there and now I have a taste for the exotic.....

31st July, 2010

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

HAteee itt!!

When I buy a vanilla perfume I hope smell a beautiful complex, mistery and deep fragrance like, Lolita lempicka 'L' or Obsession or Gaultier 2.

Casmir is the complete opposite of this 'type' of vanilla. When I wear Casmir I feel like a Big Vanila Cookie from a cheap supermarket! Just Horrible!

The staying power is weak on the skin but good on clothes.

This is not an oriental scent!! Is too boring and lacks a lot of complexity.

20th May, 2010

From Smoke's avatar

Casmir has a lovely name and a charming bottle.

To my nose the opening is a blast of cheerful synthetic banana, which so surprised me that I laughed out loud (no bad thing).

No one else I had smell it smelled the banana so perhaps that's just the way my brain processed the coconut mango vanilla melange = banana pudding.

After about an hour on my skin the heart note floral and vanilla combo take over and the effect is rich and high quality.

After about three hours the base-note darkness starts to deepen the edges of the golden vanilla cloud.

For a man like me this is certainly an under the shirt fragrance. One shot to the sternum and you have a gorgeous private party for you and anyone special enough to be that close to you.

06 February, 2010

w3pearl's avatar

good vanilla perfume...

30th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2011)

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

When I first sampled this scent I thought it was so grown up and sophisticated. I must have been 16-17. I actually waited a few years to purchase a small bottle for myself. I thought it was something rare and exotic, I immediately was transported to an outdoor market in Kashmir and saw myself purchasing spices. Now I think this scent is outdated and over the top.

22 January, 2010

Late-Hit's avatar

Casmir is almost in a class by itself, I think. When I think about the notes reported in the pyramid and other reviewers comments, I can work my nose and brain into a general sort of agreement. But to me, the first and strongest association is toasted marshmallow... or toasted coconut, if I'm feeling more poetic about it. Very nice!

01st January, 2010

goldiloks's avatar

Goodness me, this takes me back to Vanilla Fields at school! I like it for that reason, it is purely nostalgic.
    However, not one I would go for these days. To my nose it has a weird synthetic plastic note on top of the vanilla which I just cannot take to.

10th October, 2009

lisawaters1's avatar

I wore Shalimar for years and then when I met my husband, he informed me that he thought my perfume smelled like his old aunt. Needless to say I set about finding a new perfume. I absolutely fell in love with Casimir and I wear it to this day. Although I still miss Shalimar.....:)

26 September, 2009

Sybarite's avatar

Casmir ~ Composed by Michel Almairac , is a warm, rich (ahem, very rich !) fruity-floriental, with a lovely comforting "aura".
    And it seems I like it exactly for the reasons a few others "above" dislike and dismiss it. ~ All the "vanilla, vanilla , vanilla" !
    In fact, it's particularly the "triple-wammy" blending of all the "vanillic" notes :Benzoin, Tonka Bean and Vanilla, (with an extra "little kick" from the Opoponax too) which is lending the vanilla it's full delicious richness.
    Now, as for the other notes that make up Casmir. Well, I have yet to come across another perfume with quite as many different "notes pyramids". I have found at least four or five, and they all differ from one to the next. And whilst there is some "overlap" of notes between a few, ... one differed entirely.
    So below I'm listing all the notes accumulated from all the different "pyramids" I found. (They may very well all be correct, who knows ???) ...
    Though I certainly could not smell all of these notes mentioned, and do believe some of them to be incorrect. (I could not smell any Geranium in it, for example. An easy note to detect usually, and one I have no difficulty "picking up"). ...
    So, the notes I listed below (in brackets) are the ones I believe incorrect, or at very least questionable .

TOP : Bergamot, Mango, Peach, Apricot, Coconut,
    .........(Blackcurrant ?), (Raspberry ?), (Lemon ?)

HEART : Mandarin, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Carnation, Cinnamon,
    .............(Geranium ?), (Muguet ? = Lily of the Valley)

BASE : Vanilla, Benzoin, Tonka Bean, Opoponax, Sandalwood,
    .............(Amber ?), (Musk ?), (Castoreum ?), (Patchouli ?)

I did not smell any Musk or Castoreum, and definitely didn't smell any Patchouli either. There is a possibility of some Amber. Although I believe that "ambery" quality to actually be from the vanilla and resins mix.
    So, bottom line : ... As you must have gathered by now, a deep luv of vanilla is a definite prerequisite to the enjoyment of Casmir. And it's also quite necessary to not mind a bit of "toasty coconut", for it's also quite apparent. ... And if you're a guy and enjoy these two notes, then this frag could perhaps be considered "borderline" unisex. But more so from "heart to base". For the pretty loud coconutty/floral/mango assault of the first hour or so, is a tad too "fruity-feminine". But if you can get through that "top", then the "second-half" certainly makes it all worthwhile ! ... The perfect scent to enjoy at home, in front of a log fire, in the middle of winter !

14 August, 2009

kaylenehelen's avatar

My daughters found this fragrance for me. I love the warm spiciness of it, and get lots of complements from women and men both when wearing.

It's my go-to fragrance for a sophisticated and approachable amber-vanilla veil of scent.

For me, this is a great everyday, and summer scent.

25 April, 2009

Jill Merrell's avatar

I smell mango in the bottle but not on myself. I smell no florals in it whatsoever. I do smell the amber musk, vanilla, sandalwood and patchouli though, and that is just fine by me. A very nice warm, winter scent. I will always have this in my wardrobe.

17 November, 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

It sounds good; mango peach then the flowers... but it does not happen so. No sweet delicious mango peach, but spicy bitter bergamot even more dirtied with coconut makes a muddy unpleasant mass with the flowers. Amber sandalwood base is nice after half an hour.

12 August, 2008

Nukapai's avatar

This could have been a great fragrance, but I don't know whether it's the fruit, or the coconut, but it's just too sickly and cloying on me. The opening has promise, but very soon after that it goes so pungent that I need to wash it off.

03 August, 2008

djmookie's avatar

I got this perfume as a gift from my partner when it first came out, still probably my fav. It is absolutely delicous. Sweet, spicy and warm - Yummo!! I think I will go put some on right now.

01st May, 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar

An opulent rich winter fragrance for a certain type of lady. Warm and almost indescribably atmospheric, this fragrance is branded by a outrageously expensive watch company and as a scent is pretentious in an understated self-aware way. I would buy it for my wife because I just love it, but she is not ashamed to say that sometimes she does dishes and laundry. The truth is that this might just be too difficult a fragrance to live up to if you do housework. This is for a woman who wears tasteful, expensive suits all the time; and whose bag, gloves and shoes always match. It is fantastic, but how many can pull it off? Candace Bergen or Dina Merrill yes; your girlfriend? Probably not, unless your name is Cliff Robertson.

22 December, 2007

lookingglass's avatar

I used to wear this when I was a young, budding hippie. It suit me very well. A young and fruity top leads to a smokey sweet base. I don't wear it anymore, but I did really love it.

18 December, 2007

lookingglass's avatar

18 December, 2007

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Has the depth, warmth & spiciness I like, but something clashes in the drydown, not comfortable. maybe the geranium?

22 July, 2007

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Casmir is a sentimental favorite of mine - it was one of my first "real" perfumes of my early 20s. I love everything about it: the exotic name, the gorgeous bottle, and the sweet, sexy, earthy juice inside. It dries down to an incense skin scent that is just wonderful, and fits my personality perfectly. Though some might think it elegant, I like to wear this when I'm feeling relaxed and casual; it's great paired with jeans and a sweater, and the patchouli and sandalwood gives it a slightly retro, hippie vibe. I feel very natural when I wear Casmir. Men seem to love it, too, which never hurts. ;-) A definite must-try if you enjoy woody orientals. Michael Almairac also created the original Burberry fragrance for women (round bottle, amber colored juice), another winner. I hope to always own a bottle of Casmir...

02 July, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 July, 2008)

ubuandibeme's avatar

I first tested Casmir awhile back, and I believe the bottle was "aged", and I didn't like it too well. After re-testing, I now own some of this warm & comforting scent! The 2 notes that stand forward are vanilla and sandalwood, coming off very unisex. The amber/vanilla/sandalwood/musk/patchouli base is quite rich. While inhaling the aroma of this well crafted blend, a fleeting memory of Coty's Emeraude tinged my thoughts. It's not exactly the same drydown, but something in it is very similar. Also coming to mind is NR for women. Considering the cheap price, you really can't go wrong if you like vanilla & sandalwood! Thumbs up for sure!

04 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2008)