Neutral Reviews of Casmir by Chopard

Find out more about Casmir by Chopard in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

lil_odessa's avatar

jtd nails it: this foodie-ental indole-bomb is the missing link between the monsters of the 80s and the gourmands prowling today. I LOVED it when I tested it years ago, got it as a gift, and even with a light hand (one spray, under the shirt), the sillage was killer. On me, it blew up into a rotten, cheap fruit basket. I actually had a friend use the old, "You smell like a French whore!" on me. I wish I hadn't pitched it years ago during my perfume purges, otherwise I'd have given it to a loving home.

08 May, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2013)

hollycat's avatar

The fragrance equivalant of a decadent dessert. You enjoy it once in while, but cant take it everyday. Cashmir gets so sweet on me that it becomes annoying to wear. I can appreciate the composition, I mean it smells wonderful on my wrist, but thats as far as I can stand it. Its the sweetest vanilla based perfume Ive ever smelled. Its like I jumped into a tub full of vanilla frosting and a barrel full of berries. I do enjoy the opoponox and benzoin in this, its beautiful. If it werent for the cloying sweetness of this perfume, I think I would love this. But I imagine this perfume works wonders on the right chemistry.

06 March, 2011

From Smoke's avatar

Casmir has a lovely name and a charming bottle.

To my nose the opening is a blast of cheerful synthetic banana, which so surprised me that I laughed out loud (no bad thing).

No one else I had smell it smelled the banana so perhaps that's just the way my brain processed the coconut mango vanilla melange = banana pudding.

After about an hour on my skin the heart note floral and vanilla combo take over and the effect is rich and high quality.

After about three hours the base-note darkness starts to deepen the edges of the golden vanilla cloud.

For a man like me this is certainly an under the shirt fragrance. One shot to the sternum and you have a gorgeous private party for you and anyone special enough to be that close to you.

06 February, 2010

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

When I first sampled this scent I thought it was so grown up and sophisticated. I must have been 16-17. I actually waited a few years to purchase a small bottle for myself. I thought it was something rare and exotic, I immediately was transported to an outdoor market in Kashmir and saw myself purchasing spices. Now I think this scent is outdated and over the top.

22 January, 2010

goldiloks's avatar

Goodness me, this takes me back to Vanilla Fields at school! I like it for that reason, it is purely nostalgic.
    However, not one I would go for these days. To my nose it has a weird synthetic plastic note on top of the vanilla which I just cannot take to.

10th October, 2009

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

It sounds good; mango peach then the flowers... but it does not happen so. No sweet delicious mango peach, but spicy bitter bergamot even more dirtied with coconut makes a muddy unpleasant mass with the flowers. Amber sandalwood base is nice after half an hour.

12 August, 2008

k.h.kew's avatar

I got a little bottle of Casmir in a gift set and I'd never tried it before. I was expecting something very syrupy and sickly from the reviews I read, but was pleasantly surprised after expecting the worst. This fragrance is warm and sensuous. Strong yes, but not overpowering. The main problem however is that after only a couple of minutes, all you can smell is vanilla. I can perhaps imagine wearing this scent cosying up in front of an open fire, but that's about all. Yes, it smells quite nice, but no, it's not something I would reach for often or even buy again.

11th May, 2006

LookinForHappy's avatar

I wanted very much to like this one, as it is so highly thought of here, however, at first sniff, it was intriguing, but after about 20 minutes on my skin, the only note I could detect was vanilla, vanilla, and more vanilla. I tired of that very quickly and promptly washed it away, which was not easy.

18 January, 2006

calchic's avatar

I don't know what it is with Casmir, a fragrance I have always felt I should really like because the notes seem so enticing but have never, ever been able to get enthused about; it has always struck me as missing some component, lacking that special "something." What it is to me is Opium or even Cinnabar minus the spices - which just leaves something very fruity and vanilla-patchouli based. Nice and all, but where's the exoticism? With a name like Casmir, I always find myself waiting for something a bit more mystical to kick in when I put this on, and it never arrives. Instead, what it approxmates is a slightly less aggressive Escada by Margaretha Ley, particularly through the peach-coconut topnotes. Not quite the effect something called Casmir should have, I'd say; even a little tiny smudge of incense would have helped...Anyway, this fragrance definitely has its fans and so I can't get away from the idea that I'm just not "getting" something. That's why I go back to it every so often, just to see if maybe my take on it has changed over the years. So far - no dice!

22 September, 2005